Author Topic: Was Keenan Milton A Victim Of Manslaughter? (Apologies For The Morbidness)  (Read 41809 times)

links, pics, and quotes

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/manslaughter

https://www.ocbj.com/news/2002/jul/15/black-fly-named-in-skateboarder-death-suit/

Costa Mesa's Black Fly Industries Inc. has found itself tangled up in a $50 million lawsuit over the death of a rising skateboard star who drowned at a Malibu house party last year.

The family of Keenan Milton of Los Angeles is suing the owner of the Malibu house, Black Fly and other companies cited as party sponsors in a suit filed June 26 in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The family is suing for negligence, wrongful death and premises liability, according to the suit.

Jack Martinez, Black Fly's co-owner, said he wasn't aware of the suit as of last week. But he said his company didn't sponsor the party, nor did he attend.

John K. Pierson, the Miltons' lawyer, contends Black Fly, Santa Monica-based Red Bull Inc., Kik Wear Industries and Third Rail USA Inc., both of Los Angeles, sponsored the party and touted their brands by hanging banners at the house. Black Fly, a maker of sunglasses and other products, has a licensing pact with apparel maker Kik Wear.

Pierson said the party was thrown a year ago at the house of Scott Freedman, a Kik Wear partner, to celebrate the Fourth of July and birthday of Carmella Pignatore, Freedman's sister. Both are named in the suit, among other attendees.

The bash drew about 1,000 people, including athletes from skateboarding, motorcycling and BMX racing, according to the suit. The suit charges many party goers were underage, drinking excessively, doing drugs and jumping off the house into a pool.

On July 5, Milton, 26, was in the pool, which was murky from trash, the suit said. Milton was hit on the head by a guest who jumped off the patio railing, roof or other structure, the suit said. Milton died of asphyxiation from drowning. The suit said he was in the pool for half an hour before being found.

The suit charges the defendants didn't provide a trained lifeguard, security or trained bartenders.

Pierson said the defendants have 30 days to respond to the suit, which could go to court within a year. Milton, an African-American in the largely white world of skateboarding, was a team rider for Torrance-based Chocolate skateboards and Tarzana-based DVS Shoe Co.

https://ocweekly.com/jack-martinez-and-his-black-flys-are-back-6422563/

On Independence Day 2001, a lot of people were drinking, smoking weed, doing Ecstasy and coke during a Malibu event sponsored by Red Bull, Kik Wear Industries and Black Flys. Keenan Milton, a skateboard star, was swimming in a pool choked with plastic cups and other junk. Someone jumped from the house roof into the pool; Milton took a powerful blow to the head and drowned. There was too much stuff floating on the pool surface to see a man was drowning. Milton's body wasn't pulled out of the pool until 30 minutes later, according to a complaint bought by his family.

Martinez missed the party. He was in Hawaii, but Black Flys and the other companies producing the party were hit with a premise liability suit by Milton's family in 2002. It was dismissed in 2004, but Martinez spent $25,000 on attorney's fees defending himself.

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
Re: Was Keenan Milton A Victim Of Manslaughter? (Apologies For The Morbidness)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
I misread that as "Man's laughter"... like he died from laughing too hard (a la Monty Python)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9FzUI8998U
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:58:33 PM by Cool Ceith »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »
this is such a bummer

has this been talked about on here?

Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
Damn, never heard this part of the story before... didn’t know someone else had jumped off the house and knocked him out. I always assumed he was just wasted, fell into the pool and couldn’t swim.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
Damn, never heard this part of the story before... didn’t know someone else had jumped off the house and knocked him out. I always assumed he was just wasted, fell into the pool and couldn’t swim.

That’s how I took it too after seeing hearing Rudy Johnson talk about it. Really weird and sudden change in the story 20+ years later

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
That’s awful. And crazy that it’s been kinda swept under the rug for so long. I wonder if the people in attendance felt so bad for what actually happened they’ve offered up such a vague history. Reminds me of the Cardiel and Van Wastel thing too.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:58:41 PM by Willie »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:56:24 PM »
Cardiel thing?

links, pics, and quotes

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
has this been talked about on here?

I was there that day in Malibu and did not know him prior or that he was a fellow skater till we started talking. He was engaging and a way free sprit super cool guy. He did not seem like he was to faded or anything like that just having the time of his life and chatting up the lady's like we all were. It was one of those party's were you walk around and see the same people every hour or so so I must have said what's up to him and saw him smiling at least 10 times. It was a house party on the top of a hillside for like 3 days straight anyway. How I remember it I woke up the next day to someone screaming and a commotion and they were saying someone had drowned in the pool sometime around the day or night before. As far as I can remember the pool was packed full the whole time even at nights so I could see how no one would know till the next day. I don't know how it happen and never heard anything about an autopsy or if the rumors are true that some drunk asshole jumped from the roof and landed on him knocking him out. I do know that the last time I saw him he had a smile on his face ear to ear listening to perry farrell spinning and chatting up the lady's and that's how I choose to remember him.

Anybody have further information on how he passed? I heard someone jumped off a roof and hit him, and he hit his head somehow and ended up going unconscious in the pool, obviously alcohol not helping the situation. Not sure if that's correct or not.

huggs

• Rep: -16
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s how I took it too after seeing hearing Rudy Johnson talk about it. Really weird and sudden change in the story 20+ years later

super weird. i never heard that part of the story before either (tho i guess you could've read those articles 15+ years ago). it seems everyone is always intentionally vague about him drowning and why/how, always thought no one knew for sure

but like who jumped off the roof? for someone to say that's what happened they have to know who it is, or someone saw, right? or are ppl just guessing that's what happened

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »
That company was mad into the drugs.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
I'm guessing he head some kind of head contusion (top of the head) or evidence of impact that came up in an autopsy. Regular drowning wouldn't have that, of course.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »
Per Lee Smith in the Chocolate episode of Epicly Later'd, I always thought it was cocaine related.  Like he fell into the pool while high or went into cardiac arrest and died before slipping into the pool.  Either way, the story ends with all of the dumbass party goers being too wasted to help in a timely fashion.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 05:27:56 PM »
Judging by the fact that his family originally sued for wrongful death, I don't think that manslaughter really plays a role here. If California didn't pursue this guy who allegedly jumped into the pool, then I'd probably think this was just a freak accident in the most tragic way possible. That being said, I can't believe Keenan was only 26 when he passed. Such a talented skateboarder.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »
What a sad thread  :(

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »
Judging by the fact that his family originally sued for wrongful death, I don't think that manslaughter really plays a role here. If California didn't pursue this guy who allegedly jumped into the pool, then I'd probably think this was just a freak accident in the most tragic way possible. That being said, I can't believe Keenan was only 26 when he passed. Such a talented skateboarder.
Could still be that it was the case, but that scene would probably be very hard to investigate since there could've been a bunch of people jumping in the pool, everyone was faded and obviously no one, including the jumper, noticed when it happened.

Could also be family/friends being in denial not wanting to believe it was drug related. All the interviews I've seen about it have implied it was drug/alcohol related and I'd assume someone would've wanted to correct it if it wasn't the case

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 05:55:34 PM »
Devandra Banhart talked about this in an interview in some random fashion magazine back in 2011. It was a well known filmer who jumped on him. They dropped out of the industry soon after. I'm sure people can Collage together the pieces. DM for details.

links, pics, and quotes

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
Devandra Banhart talked about this in an interview in some random fashion magazine back in 2011. It was a well known filmer who jumped on him. They dropped out of the industry soon after. I'm sure people can Collage together the pieces. DM for details.

https://www.spin.com/2013/03/devendra-banhart-mala-new-album-influences/

On this record there is a song called ‘The Ballad of Keenan Milton.’ Keenan was a skateboarder that died under very tragic circumstances. Supposedly he was at a party and somebody jumped off the roof into the pool and actually hit him, and nobody noticed and he drowned. He died much too young, under very tragic circumstances.

:o

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »
Damn, you're fast!

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 06:26:07 PM »
Sooo it was Danny Minnick? Oooof

My buddy was at that party,his side was that there was a lot of coke and booze and Keenan was feeling it...then he was found in the pool and it was like a record stopping. Tragic as fuck to this day,as lame as those phrases are,dude was such a personality and amazing skater

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »
Per Lee Smith in the Chocolate episode of Epicly Later'd, I always thought it was cocaine related.  Like he fell into the pool while high or went into cardiac arrest and died before slipping into the pool.  Either way, the story ends with all of the dumbass party goers being too wasted to help in a timely fashion.

This is what I always thought too.
99% positive his TWS memorial stated cardiac arrest.
Pretty fucking insane if that’s not the case. Damn.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.spin.com/2013/03/devendra-banhart-mala-new-album-influences/

Expand Quote
On this record there is a song called ‘The Ballad of Keenan Milton.’ Keenan was a skateboarder that died under very tragic circumstances. Supposedly he was at a party and somebody jumped off the roof into the pool and actually hit him, and nobody noticed and he drowned. He died much too young, under very tragic circumstances.
[close]

:o

Damn, that is fucked if true. Wonder why the family never pursued him, and also pretty fucked that the industry has been covering for this dude the whole time, leaving people under the impression that Keenan od'd

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »
Yo what in the fuck are people smoking on here. This dude was at a party with a lot of drugs and alcohol, this dude prolly was obliterated if it is true. What’s illegal(other then the drugs) of a guy jumping off a railing and accidentally hitting someone? This isn’t like fucking Ali and Shane u fucking idiots, he wasn’t driving a motorcycle/car or anything idiotic, he was just partying. It wasn’t like this dude purposefully tried to fall on top of fucking Keenan. If you’ve never been to a pool party where people don’t try to jump in that shit from stupid places, then you have either never been to a pool party, or the ones u go to are lame af.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
Yo what in the fuck are people smoking on here. This dude was at a party with a lot of drugs and alcohol, this dude prolly was obliterated if it is true. What’s illegal(other then the drugs) of a guy jumping off a railing and accidentally hitting someone? This isn’t like fucking Ali and Shane u fucking idiots, he wasn’t driving a motorcycle/car or anything idiotic, he was just partying. It wasn’t like this dude purposefully tried to fall on top of fucking Keenan. If you’ve never been to a pool party where people don’t try to jump in that shit from stupid places, then you have either never been to a pool party, or the ones u go to are lame af.

You sound like you have jumped onto someones head in a pool before.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 07:10:56 PM »
Yah Lee was saying in a version of events that he gave, that in  those minutes/hours of Keenans death, people were freaking and blame was being thrown around.  But that everyone was passed that now.  I think that was refering to Danny Minnick.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 07:16:47 PM »
It was drugs/alcohol.

/thread

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 07:26:53 PM »
It was drugs/alcohol.

/thread
  No cause people thought for years that Keenan had some kind of drug overdose which was bullshit.  Bullshit isn't 'the way' imo.   Edit also love to Danny Minnick man.  That would fucking suck.  Dudes done stuff for skating, showcased some shit for us like Penny and Muska and more.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:36:49 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
i'm trying to extend an olive branch in my mind but this reads like a family not being able to deal with another tragic, yet not uncommon fatal accident involving substance abuse. 

if someone did hit his head he was probably already dead or played it off like he was cool then later died.  am i to believe this pool was scrooge mcduck levels of solo cups?
where is home?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 07:38:30 PM »
  If you haven't ever watched it Danny has pretty sick part in an h-street video.  Good skater.

links, pics, and quotes

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 07:42:33 PM »
am i to believe this pool was scrooge mcduck levels of solo cups?

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 01:10:41 AM »
It was drugs/alcohol.

/thread

Autopsy proved otherwise though... Also people die from alcohol poisoning for sure but it seems he was getting down on the white sack and booze. Unless hes chugging a bottle of booze (which doesn't seem to fit him) no one in a party setting that was 'not wasted' on many accounts, is not going to OD on booze. Also if the white sack was available like the story seems, Kennen would've been more tooted up than anything. People don't die from cocaine.