Author Topic: Dead Spots  (Read 7507 times)

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Dead Spots
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2019, 10:10:52 PM »
I think cemeteries might be one of the only things I would not skate on principle. We have a huge one here literally called, The National Cemetery." So big and marble everything for days. I run through it sometimes and think about how good it would be to skate, but I would not want to leave mark on someone's memorial site.

Where I grew up our main spot was a monument to some war (A minor one) in a park.  Every now and then we'd get a pissed off veteran yelling at us about being disrespectful.  Didn't really feel bad about that one.

I’d feel like an asshole skating somebody’s death/sacrifice monument. However, any non-descript handrails, ledges, curbs and benches within a sacred vicinity are fair game in the Lord’s eye I believe. I myself and others I know have in fact skated historical churches surrounded by historical graveyards; and I tell ya... I do not think a single one of us has been haunted to this day. I think it’s possible to respectively shred with the dead.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2019, 10:41:07 PM »
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2019, 10:45:27 PM »

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2019, 11:27:21 PM »
I already love this thread!

The next spot im thinking of is this weird halfpipe looking thing... I dont know if it is in brazil or Barca, but I used to see many clips of it back in the days:

support your local ramp-tramp

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2019, 11:37:49 PM »
Along with the destruction of Love came the swift decimation of the apocalyptic looking William Penn High. The school was clearly fucked and was hard to believe to be operational, but damn did it contain some gems. Most notably the 3 Block portion.

Here’s The Current 2019 SOTY runner up holding it down in Mosaic:

Followed by Kalis in The DC Video:

There were other spots there too. A flat rail roller bladders apparently dominated. I know I’ve seen it skated in videos but am fogging. There was a giant (18,19,20?) stair ledge I can’t remember who did what down it when. Anybody know what I’m blanking on? I think there may have even been another longer higher flat rail there too. That place transported you somewhere else when crawling through the fence. Pretty sure it’s all been transformed into a soccer field for Temple now.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »

This ledge used to be so popular... What happened here?

I tried skating this in richmond, i use to still see people showing up to sesh it

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^damn! Always thought that was a concrete park from the yeah right clip. Spot looks so sick.
[close]

The spot/quarter pipe in MJ's Yeah Right part was at the old Belconnen skatepark (I think) which was demolished.
[close]

Definitely not a skatepark, you can see the mall entrance better in Louie/Jerry's clips at 4:10

That entire video part holds up so well; Jerry styling on every trick, Louie with his unorthodox approach to every spot, both of them having an absolute blast all set to the sounds of New Order.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nicki

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2019, 12:01:59 AM »

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2019, 12:09:16 AM »
Along with the destruction of Love came the swift decimation of the apocalyptic looking William Penn High. The school was clearly fucked and was hard to believe to be operational, but damn did it contain some gems. Most notably the 3 Block portion.

There were other spots there too. A flat rail roller bladders apparently dominated. I know I’ve seen it skated in videos but am fogging. There was a giant (18,19,20?) stair ledge I can’t remember who did what down it when. Anybody know what I’m blanking on? I think there may have even been another longer higher flat rail there too. That place transported you somewhere else when crawling through the fence. Pretty sure it’s all been transformed into a soccer field for Temple now.

Eli Reed switch lipslide

2:43
http://youtu.be/ne8GUU8Jge4?t=163
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:16 AM »

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 03:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Iconic Local Denver spot it was a blue bank to bank, anyone who has skated the Denver area knows what I’m talking about. It was next to a Spanish auto shop.
[close]

place near blast-o-mat? I'm not from Denver but I remember skating a spot near the venue that was sort of like that I think?
Holy shit! Yeah that’s the place....

They tore it out after 2009. I use to stay at panther country with Wiley for a bit.
Dueces Bitch's

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Eli Reed switch lipslide

I always wanted to try that huge rail/hubba thing because it wasn’t super high and the grass made it less intimidating although I’d probably get broke off.

I scoped it out while working a job next door but never skated it or the 3 block.

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 08:17:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Eli Reed switch lipslide

Yo, thank you! I’ve been buggin trying to track down what went down at the school. I remember seeing it in videos and mags a lot coming up but the who, when and where has become hazy. That Eli switch lip cover is a beauty.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »
Venice pits

Yesterdays-pop

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2019, 08:18:56 AM »
Brooklyn banks

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
The rail that Myles switch back 180nosegrinds at 2:49 is at the building you thought was a college beside bridge rail.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2019, 09:26:25 AM »
I miss the Durham Courthouse so much

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
I already love this thread!

The next spot im thinking of is this weird halfpipe looking thing... I dont know if it is in brazil or Barca, but I used to see many clips of it back in the days:

It was in Barcelona and if I remember correctly it was removed due to a renovation of the area.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
havent seen anything at Le Dome in ages, is that spot still kicking?

alright

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2019, 05:43:06 AM »
Brooklyn banks

What actually happened to these?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2019, 06:14:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Brooklyn banks
[close]

pretty sure that has been under reno for TiME dude. probalby gonna be osmething completley different going in there. i have no idea though never been there just going by what i read years ago.

Yesterdays-pop

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2019, 06:35:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Brooklyn banks
[close]

[close]

pretty sure that has been under reno for TiME dude. probalby gonna be osmething completley different going in there. i have no idea though never been there just going by what i read years ago.

The original small banks with the bump over wall and 9 stair were slightly demolished and fenced off but the space still exists. Been unskateable for over a decade.
The bigger banks were turned into a “skatepark” with wood ramps and stuff but the city still fenced off the area for about a decade. Now it is still fenced off and has 24 hr security since people started cutting or hopping fence last few summers. I squeezed through the fence and skated it about 2 years ago and the bricks are so chunked up and soggy it’s almost unskateable but still fun.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2019, 07:04:09 AM »
Yea like 2 years ago holes were cut into the fence at Brooklyn Banks and for like 6 months for some reason cops let us skate mostly unbothered and there was a short banks renaissance, which is where all the recent footy has come from. Been a no go again for some time. Can we try that again? Someone else test it I’m too old to get arrested.

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2019, 07:10:55 AM »
I miss the Durham Courthouse so much

Only skated it twice, but goddamn, that place ruled.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
havent seen anything at Le Dome in ages, is that spot still kicking?

yes
the ground is now brand new for the most part. Still a go to spot
Not that long ago, Fazliov did FS Blunt down the huge kinked hubba.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:36:13 AM by BALARGUE »

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2019, 08:47:25 AM »
I saw that the courthouse steps in Richmond have basically had the largest skate stoppers ever installed earlier this fall. You've probably seen them if you follow bustcrew or any of those guys on instagram. It's a shame because it was a really fun spot for pretty much anyone across all skill levels.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2019, 10:17:32 AM »
DVC knobbed

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Eli Reed switch lipslide

[close]

Yo, thank you! I’ve been buggin trying to track down what went down at the school. I remember seeing it in videos and mags a lot coming up but the who, when and where has become hazy. That Eli switch lip cover is a beauty.
This spot was so fun, I drove by when they were ripping it down and was so sad. Chris Cole front boarded that long ass hubba. There was a bum that lived at the top of the stairs you would grind before tricking the 3 block. He was actually pretty chill.

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »

Bummed I never got to skate this even though I've lived in Portland my whole life and this is only a 90 minute flight away

SSBS1080CBBSNP

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2019, 08:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Eli Reed switch lipslide

[close]

[close]
This spot was so fun, I drove by when they were ripping it down and was so sad. Chris Cole front boarded that long ass hubba. There was a bum that lived at the top of the stairs you would grind before tricking the 3 block. He was actually pretty chill.
The first time I went there, many years ago, I accidentally woke up a guy set up there while skating. Got to admit he startled the fuck outta me because I had no idea he was there and wasn’t sure how he was going to react. We locked eyes for a moment then he waved his hand, rolled over, and went back to sleep. I don’t know if it was the strong guy on the couch response he gave, but dude looked like Steven Wright from the glimpse I got of him. Never saw him again after that, but there was always a set up at the top. I don’t know if it’s the same guy you’re talking about but respect if he held that corner all those years. Really appreciated him not throwing shit at me.