Author Topic: Ankle physio regimen?  (Read 1648 times)

Jollyoli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
Ankle physio regimen?
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:29:20 AM »
Wet weather, shorter days, and less skate opportunities I can feel my wonky ankle starting to do it's freaky winter bug out.
I have a resistance band I use at work to try and keep mobile, fish oil and glycosamine sulphate, and cycling when I can but was looking to tap the PALS knowledge repository to see if there are any anecdotal good physio practices to latch onto?
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Ankle physio regimen?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:12:18 AM »
Keep the ankle moving, whether it's stretching or spelling the alphabet. Keeping it stagnant is what will hurt you in the long run. Also, aside from the ankle, do daily stretching in general to keep your body loose. Then when the time comes to skate, you won't feel so stiff and will be less prone to getting hurt. This is what I've been doing and it helps but you seem like you're already on the right track.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »

I found this method of ankle stretching to complement resistance band stretching well. It's really helped me feel more confident with kickflips and recovery if I land on my ankle in a weird, non tweaked position.

Box jumps and squats are helpful too. Think of every link in the kinetic chain and work on strengthening every part of it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
Get a wobble board and google proprioception exercises ankle.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 09:28:05 AM »

I found this method of ankle stretching to complement resistance band stretching well. It's really helped me feel more confident with kickflips and recovery if I land on my ankle in a weird, non tweaked position.

Box jumps and squats are helpful too. Think of every link in the kinetic chain and work on strengthening every part of it.

That's a good exercise, especially for skating! They had me do that in rehab, when I was suffering from chronical inflamation in my ancle. My ancles where both fucked up from being unbalanced. My right ancle was way stiffer than my left ancle and my hips where uneaqually strong. I would stretch the whole body if possible and try to do exercises that will work out both sides of the body equally.

Since I have recovered from that ancle issue, which made it impossible to skate for a whole year I have been doing a warm up routine every time I skate. First I push arround for ten minutes switch and regular, just doing carves and kickturns (if I am at a skatepark) and no ollies. I will then do manuals and nose manuals both regualar and switch. Then stretch for a little bit (short stretches): loosen the hips, strecht the calves and thighs and I do the exercise pictured above. I also twist my feet in all directions to try to loosen it up (I saw Chris Joslin do it and I thought if it keeps his ancles functioning it will also serve mine). When all that is done I will actually start skating and trying tricks. You are supposed to really stretch after the session (long and intense stretches) to actually improve mobility and I sometimes do it, but usually I am to lazy to do any exercises after skating.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:29:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a good exercise, especially for skating! They had me do that in rehab, when I was suffering from chronical inflamation in my ancle. My ancles where both fucked up from being unbalanced. My right ancle was way stiffer than my left ancle and my hips where uneaqually strong. I would stretch the whole body if possible and try to do exercises that will work out both sides of the body equally.

Since I have recovered from that ancle issue, which made it impossible to skate for a whole year I have been doing a warm up routine every time I skate. First I push arround for ten minutes switch and regular, just doing carves and kickturns (if I am at a skatepark) and no ollies. I will then do manuals and nose manuals both regualar and switch. Then stretch for a little bit (short stretches): loosen the hips, strecht the calves and thighs and I do the exercise pictured above. I also twist my feet in all directions to try to loosen it up (I saw Chris Joslin do it and I thought if it keeps his ancles functioning it will also serve mine). When all that is done I will actually start skating and trying tricks. You are supposed to really stretch after the session (long and intense stretches) to actually improve mobility and I sometimes do it, but usually I am to lazy to do any exercises after skating.

This stretch really hits the spot (Achilles / back of the foot) that gets neglected during regular stretching. Doing tip-toes with your heel hanging off a step or ledge does both stretch and strengthening.

The verdict is mixed on ankle braces. I used to skate with a cheap one but found it wasn't doing anything to support my ankle in terms of compression or limiting range of movement. What I found helpful is looking at your feet and flat footed-ness. I grew up with extremely flat feet and my knees pronate inwards since my arches have collapse, pushing my knees together. When I'm running I usually go with a hard insole (Super Feet) which helps to alleviate a lot of pain and corrects how my feet lands when I run. I get less ankle injuries that way. I would get a similar insole for my skate shoes if I could find one that is more rigid but also shock absorbing; the one I use for running is way too stiff.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 04:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This stretch really hits the spot (Achilles / back of the foot) that gets neglected during regular stretching. Doing tip-toes with your heel hanging off a step or ledge does both stretch and strengthening.

The verdict is mixed on ankle braces. I used to skate with a cheap one but found it wasn't doing anything to support my ankle in terms of compression or limiting range of movement. What I found helpful is looking at your feet and flat footed-ness. I grew up with extremely flat feet and my knees pronate inwards since my arches have collapse, pushing my knees together. When I'm running I usually go with a hard insole (Super Feet) which helps to alleviate a lot of pain and corrects how my feet lands when I run. I get less ankle injuries that way. I would get a similar insole for my skate shoes if I could find one that is more rigid but also shock absorbing; the one I use for running is way too stiff.

I have the same problem with flat feet. I have had a custom medical insole made that works for skating as well. The only problem is that it is kind of thick so I need to find skateshoes, which have a thick replaceable insole.

I had the custom insoles made in a special store, where they did an exact measurement of my feet and what needed to be corrected. They were covered by my insurance at the time, otherwise it would have been pretty expensive (around 200 dollars) to have them made.  I think regular insurance does not necessarily cover them.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 11:36:10 PM »
Jumping in to ask if anyone has any physio tips for knees. Landed weirdly on a BS 50-50 today and my knees popped a little inwards. I was still able to skate but it's feeling a little sore now.

Want to do some rehab and strengthening to prevent my ACL or knee from blowing out in the future.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 07:15:45 PM »
please see attached

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 02:32:45 AM »
please see attached

That's some good shit right there.

Came back from a check up and my ACL is fine, seems like a LCL strain; which I guessed as much since I wasn't in intense pain.

Do your squats, both regular and single leg, to keep that area strong!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 03:05:47 AM »
I'm currently doing physio rehab for a sprained ankle so thought I'd chime in. The exercises I'm doing rn are all of the above plus the following.

Seated calf raises. Sit down with your knees bent 90 degrees and just lift your heels with your toes on the floor, you'll feel a stretch through your calves. 3 sets of 7, or however many you're comfortable with.

Standing in front of a bench or high table that you can rest your hands on, take turns balancing on one foot, taking as much weight off as you need to, just with your finger tips. Alternate between feet, starting with 10 seconds each, 3 sets. When you can get to 60 seconds each side without needing to use your hands, start trying to do it with your eyes closed. If you can do 25-30 seconds without using your hands, you're doing great, but don't over do it, and don't fall over.

"opening the clam"
Lie on your side,  knees bent 90 degrees, head on a pillow, with your feet together. With your hips rolled forward, try and lift your top knee as far as you can without your toe or heel lifting away from the other foot, like your legs are the mouth of a clamshell opening and closing. Start with 3 sets of 7 and build from there.

Some of these exercises are to build strength in your ankle and some are to build strength in other parts of your legs. Your hips, knees, calves and ankles all work in tandem, so strengthening the other parts of your legs takes pressure off your ankles.

Hope some of these help. I'm still early on in recovery, so if you want me to keep you updated with new exercises as I'm given them let me know.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:07:28 AM by Switch FS K-Swiss Grind »
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 04:31:26 AM »
Thanks guys & gals & they/them, this stuff is golden.
I like that I can do lots of these at work, but I will draw the line at opening my clam.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.