Author Topic: Milton Martinez - ˇDEMOLICIÓN!  (Read 52177 times)

Craig Lutzka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
Re: Milton Martinez - ˇDEMOLICIÓN!
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
Milton vs Mark argument is like Metallica vs Bob Dylan

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1224
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2019, 12:11:06 PM »
dude's a brute and face has been melted...seeing him go back and handle that kickflip at the end, after what happened the first time, is today's sign that everything is going to be ok.

not sure how one goes about comparing this part, Suciu's part, and Tiago's part for something like SOTY--glad it's not my responsibility...nevertheless, i'm thankful for all three very different yet equally inspiring parts...
well even if it was just tiago and suciu there’d still be no competition. The only real ultimatums are mark and milton

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »
Also the way he just tapped the end of the rail on kickflip board and lip is so sick
I got heavy billy marks vibes on both of those

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
So hyped that they used Los Saicos in the soundtrack! I just learned about them a few months ago… it's like Phelps was watching me watching YouTube documentaries about them from his Hellride in the sky.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
I wonder what dustins thinking

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »
only one bad thing about this- rhino cameo
9/11 was a national tragedy

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2019, 12:23:47 PM »
Wow fucked, love how his landings are squirly for going so fast.

Bottom line his eyebrows and that car wash kickflip are undeniably wonders of the world

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
only one bad thing about this- rhino cameo without a lawnmower
fixed it for you

ArtVandelay

« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2019, 12:30:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Waiting for someone to say "It didn't make me want to skate" comment.

I think Sucui's part will be more remembered in the long run sort of like PJ's Wonderful Horrible but Milton's part is just fitting for a SOTY award.

[close]

I don't think people are going to forget the kickflip carwash clip ever.
[close]

You have it backwards.  This part is going to age much better than Verso.
[close]

No it’s not.

Ten years from now people are going to skate bigger and gnarlier stuff than Milton—that’s a stone cold fact. Whether or not you enjoy the concept of Verso is besides the point as it’s the first part of its kind. People will take ideas from it and make their own parts inspiried by it in the future but it’s a 100% unique video part.

This is just another really gnarly part. Nothing more and certainly nothing less.
[close]
I think you meant to say was, ten years from now every kid who grew up training on the skatepark ledge is going to be able to do every trick in Verso.  Many probably can already.  We will see how many of them kickflip into the car wash though.  I also enjoyed Sucius part but cmon, Milton is fucking hectic.  To call it "just another really gnarly part" is pretty suspect-car wash bank has been sitting in plain view for decades waiting.

For real. No one has stepped to that in years! Besides Dollin flinging his pickled body into it. But Jesus that thing is so fucked.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2019, 12:38:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I think Sucui's part will be more remembered in the long run sort of like PJ's Wonderful Horrible but Milton's part is just fitting for a SOTY award.

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

Ten years from now people are going to skate bigger and gnarlier stuff than Milton—that’s a stone cold fact. Whether or not you enjoy the concept of Verso is besides the point as it’s the first part of its kind. People will take ideas from it and make their own parts inspiried by it in the future but it’s a 100% unique video part.

This is just another really gnarly part. Nothing more and certainly nothing less.
[close]
I think you meant, ten years from now every kid who grew up training on the skatepark ledge is going to be able to do every trick in Verso.  We will see how many of them kickflip into the car wash though.  I also enjoyed Sucius part but cmon, Milton is fucking hectic.  To call it "just another really gnarly part" is pretty suspect-car wash bank has been sitting in plain view for decades waiting.
[close]

Name one gnarly part more than a decade old that hasn’t been outdone trick for trick? I’m not taking away anything from Milton—part is psycho, but it’ll be one upped. That’s the nature of the game.

Again whether you like the concept behind Verso or not doesn’t matter. Our boy genius Suciu wrote a poem with skate clips—the first of its kind—and people will remember that for a long time to come. The whole part, not just his last trick. No one is gonna forget the car wash kickflip, but it’s not gonna have the same staying power or rewatchability as Verso.
[close]
Name one super tech part that doesn't get one upped in like....2 years.  It's just your preference.  I'd rather watch Fucktards than most videos so I'd argue that gnarly parts can hold their value extremely well.  Shit I think the GX1000 video is as conceptual as Sucius and will age better.  I can't remember 90% of Verso but in ten years I'll remember the dude who kickflipped into the car wash.
[close]

I think the point is that a gnarly part gets diminished by being one-upped, its greatness is based on it being the best things done at those spots, where as something like Verso is about more than that (the cities themselves for one).

People remember/rewatch PJLWHL and Yeah Right a lot more than That's Life or Dying to Live which came out around the same time to similar hype.

But I honest don't know the rules with web parts. Maybe nothing has staying power anymore.

Here's the thing: seeing a board flip around a bunch of times in increasingly unlikely ways before someone lands on it and rides away is definitely surprising, but in the end you're watching someone at the top of their form in exquisite control and the emotional stakes are pretty low.  I think Verso is an intensely self-conscious, but still good demonstration of how tech skating is basically just like composition, where it's the order and interplay of the components of a line that really come through.  But, like stuff you read, it's hard to remember exactly what those parts "say" with their composition unless something about it connects deeply with you on an emotional level.  Like all subtle forms of self-expression, it's a finicky thing.

This part is scary.  It doesn't make you think; it makes your balls and asshole bunch up the entire time you're watching it.  It makes your eyes bug out.  It made me laugh out loud in public a few times.  Unlike the impeccably crafted short story that you didn't really get into (Verso), you'll never forget the time you saw the dude on a motorcycle doing 70 slide between the wheels under a semi trailer so he didn't get fucking pulped against the side (this).  The reason why all of these clips were under such tight wraps is pretty obvious, and it's because this part is all about that first impact, the shock of seeing catastrophe after catastrophe narrowly averted.  This is about seeing truly unbelievable things, and forcing yourself to believe it until that's your world.  Then the whole thing starts again the next time someone does something almost impossible to believe even after "ˇDEMOLICIÓN!"  In the end, we should be glad parts like this don't have staying power, or else no one would ever top them and we'd be like "skating sucks now, people are just doing the same old shit." 

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
Safe to say both skaters have raised the bar in their respective fields. Most the precise skater Vs.most reckless. I have been rooting for Mark this year but the clip of Milton smiling after landing the historic kickflip at the car wash has put me on the fence.

Marks Verso part is so clean. Hard tricks, spots around the world, and zero tic tac landings. Im sure he redid tricks that were landed sloppy. I can see why Milton didnt redo some of the baker makers he chucked out. It would seal it for me if mark was on record this year doing a sick frontside air and a grind over a Deathbox, but I understand why those tricks wouldnt fit in the Verso part. I want Mark to break free from the notion that he "isnt Thrasher enough" to win this award. I get that Mark has a softer image, but how many people here really care about protecting Thrashers gnar boy hesh pants image? A nice grind on real pool blocks might help people think Mark is tough enough to be soty.

The car wash kickflip is historic because of who skated it in the past. And that kickflip was the cleanest trick he did in the whole video. Also the gap to lipslide on the double set that Jamie Thomas and Stacy Lowery ollied is insane. I doubt these two tricks will ever be one upped. I feel like he could have only done those two things this year and still been a top SOTY contender. I also feel like Milton is extra gnarly because he doesnt seem that skilled. Baekkel is about as gnarly as Milton, but Baekkel is more skilled imo. I hate the way Milton kickflips way higher than he needs to when doing a flip into a trick. Anyway Miltons kickflip is in the history book already. We dont need to wait ten years to know that. Marks Verso part will probably age well but its still undetermined how well.

Also Im inclined to think that Milton is a shoe-in already simply because thrasher has made the Argentina flag shirt for him. What would they put on marks shirt, some latte art? Not very Thrasher, kid needs a forearm tat or something

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with Verso. Sick part. Why would you have to explain your part when in reality you just  tried to put out the best part you could and one  that you'd be proud of. Adding some poetic spin doesn't change that.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
Fuuuucked!! Gnarliest skating every possible way, not just kinked rails

Love how he always tries to stay on the board after every trick for as long as possible. Makes it feel more like skating and less like just stunts if that makes sense

Also the way he just tapped the end of the rail on kickflip board and lip is so sick

SOTY!

Totally, noticing little things like how he'll pop a quick kickflip over a gap just to keep the skating going is one of the most exciting things about him.   

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2019, 12:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
I think you meant to say was, ten years from now every kid who grew up training on the skatepark ledge is going to be able to do every trick in Verso.  Many probably can already.  We will see how many of them kickflip into the car wash though.  I also enjoyed Sucius part but cmon, Milton is fucking hectic.  To call it "just another really gnarly part" is pretty suspect-car wash bank has been sitting in plain view for decades waiting.
[close]

For real. No one has stepped to that in years! Besides Dollin flinging his pickled body into it. But Jesus that thing is so fucked.
It is so fucked.  And the ollie over the rail into the velodrome looking bank might be even more fucked than that.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2019, 12:51:19 PM »
I bet ya Rhino threw that security guard like a lawnmower at Home Depot so Milton could get that kickflip down the Dompierre gap.

Rhino is such a kenny. I loved Verso, this kid deserves it no doubt this year and with that Phelps into it must be in the bag. The financial rewards SOTY will bring throughout his career hopefully provides most or all of his family with a whole new life experience.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: November 18, 2019, 12:54:01 PM »
What's crazy is that he does this jaw-dropping stuff with a good style. God damn, that was great.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #226 on: November 18, 2019, 12:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

[close]
It is so fucked.  And the ollie over the rail into the velodrome looking bank might be even more fucked than that.

I just saw it in person a couple weeks ago and it is indeed spectacularly fucked.  Looking at it from the bottom is bad enough, imagining what it looks like from the roof is mind bending.  The big blue bank at least had a smoothed-out transition at the bottom, the car wash is like a straight 105 degree angle between the bank and the flat of the sidewalk.  The extreme jarring of going from the bank to the sidewalk at that speed is why Gonz got a raspberry on half his face when he tried it from the roof.  Both are gnarly, but the flip into the car wash is the kind of trick that happens about once a decade.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #227 on: November 18, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Fuuuucked!! Gnarliest skating every possible way, not just kinked rails

Love how he always tries to stay on the board after every trick for as long as possible. Makes it feel more like skating and less like just stunts if that makes sense

SOTY!
[close]

Totally, noticing little things like how he'll pop a quick kickflip over a gap just to keep the skating going is one of the most exciting things about him.   
To add: there's a really great emphasis on rolling in this part that you don't really see in other gnarly skaters' parts, which is something I like about it.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Glurmpz

« Reply #228 on: November 18, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
Also the gap to lipslide on the double set that Jamie Thomas and Stacy Lowery ollied is insane.

Ummmm, what?! Chris Lambert is the only person to roll away from that set, with a broken tail.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 24
« Reply #229 on: November 18, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
I almost hope they don't release a rough cut of this. Not sure I want to see the slams he must have taken.

Enjoy him while he's here folks, this kind of skating has a very short shelf-life.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #230 on: November 18, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
I almost hope they don't release a rough cut of this. Not sure I want to see the slams he must have taken.

Enjoy him while he's here folks, this kind of skating has a very short shelf-life.

Well......Jaws is still around.....
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Also the gap to lipslide on the double set that Jamie Thomas and Stacy Lowery ollied is insane.
[close]

Ummmm, what?! Chris Lambert is the only person to roll away from that set, with a broken tail.
same diff'

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #232 on: November 18, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
Gnarliest snoozefest I've ever seen

Getting towed in by bikes on the street was really sick

KP

• Rep: 16
« Reply #233 on: November 18, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

if my memory serves me well, i agree with that even if i think i forgot someone, i just can think of Rowley giving it a try almost 20 years ago

going for a lipslide here is a suicide attempt, no one will try to top this before a long time if it ever happens :)

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: November 18, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well......Jaws is still around.....

Is he?

Yu Dum

« Reply #235 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
Sleeper SOTY hit.
Not mad whatsoever. Was rooting for Suciu or Tiago, but Milton is the winner here.

baggy spandex

« Reply #236 on: November 18, 2019, 01:26:14 PM »
Ten minutes of demolishing spots and not a single broken board? Milton is wild and fully in control.

Glurmpz

« Reply #237 on: November 18, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
same diff'

Weird way to say "I was wrong", but whatever.

if my memory serves me well, i agree with that even if i think i forgot someone, i just can think of Rowley giving it a try almost 20 years ago

Yup, no make. Broke off.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #238 on: November 18, 2019, 01:32:14 PM »
speed wobbles on most roll aways

random kick flips over planters on the roll aways

i feel sad that jake didn't get this part, it's the epitome of the vibe he was all about

i laughed out loud so hard so many times, just mind blow next level gnar

soty!

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: November 18, 2019, 01:34:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
same diff'
[close]

Weird way to say "I was wrong", but whatever.

Expand Quote

[close]

Yup, no make. Broke off.
you were right and I was wrong. is that better for you