Author Topic: Milton Martinez - ˇDEMOLICIÓN!  (Read 52111 times)

NoComply180

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
Re: Milton Martinez - ˇDEMOLICIÓN!
« Reply #180 on: November 18, 2019, 11:21:50 AM »
Imagine looking at a 17 stair and thinking “yeah I could probably wallride that”

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #181 on: November 18, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Waiting for someone to say "It didn't make me want to skate" comment.

I think Sucui's part will be more remembered in the long run sort of like PJ's Wonderful Horrible but Milton's part is just fitting for a SOTY award.

[close]

I don't think people are going to forget the kickflip carwash clip ever.
[close]

You have it backwards.  This part is going to age much better than Verso.
[close]

No it’s not.

Ten years from now people are going to skate bigger and gnarlier stuff than Milton—that’s a stone cold fact. Whether or not you enjoy the concept of Verso is besides the point as it’s the first part of its kind. People will take ideas from it and make their own parts inspiried by it in the future but it’s a 100% unique video part.

This is just another really gnarly part. Nothing more and certainly nothing less.
[close]
I think you meant, ten years from now every kid who grew up training on the skatepark ledge is going to be able to do every trick in Verso.  We will see how many of them kickflip into the car wash though.  I also enjoyed Sucius part but cmon, Milton is fucking hectic.  To call it "just another really gnarly part" is pretty suspect-car wash bank has been sitting in plain view for decades waiting.
[close]

Name one gnarly part more than a decade old that hasn’t been outdone trick for trick? I’m not taking away anything from Milton—part is psycho, but it’ll be one upped. That’s the nature of the game.

Again whether you like the concept behind Verso or not doesn’t matter. Our boy genius Suciu wrote a poem with skate clips—the first of its kind—and people will remember that for a long time to come. The whole part, not just his last trick. No one is gonna forget the car wash kickflip, but it’s not gonna have the same staying power or rewatchability as Verso.
Name one super tech part that doesn't get one upped in like....2 years.  It's just your preference.  I'd rather watch Fucktards than most videos so I'd argue that gnarly parts can hold their value extremely well.  Shit I think the GX1000 video is as conceptual as Sucius and will age better.  I can't remember 90% of Verso but in ten years I'll remember the dude who kickflipped into the car wash. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #182 on: November 18, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
What everyone else said. 

EDIT: What was the last part that pushed things this far?  Reynolds in Stay Gold?  I don't even know.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:43:52 AM by Mr. Stinky »

Glurmpz

« Reply #183 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:47 AM »
Our boy genius Suciu wrote a poem with skate clips

I think Milton might have wrote a suicide note with his.  ;D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:45:00 AM by Glurmpz »

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
« Reply #184 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »

Well... it didn't make me want to skate giant sets, rails, gaps, or banks... I'd probably still die trying that shit. lol

special_gee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #185 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
fuckk woodtoy poetry crackbutt..car wash drop in for SOTY right here
I GOT MAIL. I GOT MAIL. YAY.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2019, 11:43:57 AM »
I will say that the Phelps clip at the beginning seemed to be a little pander-y.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I think Sucui's part will be more remembered in the long run sort of like PJ's Wonderful Horrible but Milton's part is just fitting for a SOTY award.

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

Ten years from now people are going to skate bigger and gnarlier stuff than Milton—that’s a stone cold fact. Whether or not you enjoy the concept of Verso is besides the point as it’s the first part of its kind. People will take ideas from it and make their own parts inspiried by it in the future but it’s a 100% unique video part.

This is just another really gnarly part. Nothing more and certainly nothing less.
[close]
I think you meant, ten years from now every kid who grew up training on the skatepark ledge is going to be able to do every trick in Verso.  We will see how many of them kickflip into the car wash though.  I also enjoyed Sucius part but cmon, Milton is fucking hectic.  To call it "just another really gnarly part" is pretty suspect-car wash bank has been sitting in plain view for decades waiting.
[close]

Name one gnarly part more than a decade old that hasn’t been outdone trick for trick? I’m not taking away anything from Milton—part is psycho, but it’ll be one upped. That’s the nature of the game.

Again whether you like the concept behind Verso or not doesn’t matter. Our boy genius Suciu wrote a poem with skate clips—the first of its kind—and people will remember that for a long time to come. The whole part, not just his last trick. No one is gonna forget the car wash kickflip, but it’s not gonna have the same staying power or rewatchability as Verso.
[close]
Name one super tech part that doesn't get one upped in like....2 years.  It's just your preference.  I'd rather watch Fucktards than most videos so I'd argue that gnarly parts can hold their value extremely well.  Shit I think the GX1000 video is as conceptual as Sucius and will age better.  I can't remember 90% of Verso but in ten years I'll remember the dude who kickflipped into the car wash.

I think the point is that a gnarly part gets diminished by being one-upped, its greatness is based on it being the best things done at those spots, where as something like Verso is about more than that (the cities themselves for one).

People remember/rewatch PJLWHL and Yeah Right a lot more than That's Life or Dying to Live which came out around the same time to similar hype.

But I honest don't know the rules with web parts. Maybe nothing has staying power anymore.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2019, 11:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

[close]

Rodney Mullen would like to have a word with you.
As would Daewon. And like, every part from 1992.

Not sure why you’re bringing up GX or Fucktards but those videos have a lot of other types of skating and b roll aside from sheer gnarliness which is what makes them stand the test of time.

Verso ain’t the best video ever made and I’m definitely done discussing it in this thread but you’re 100% wrong saying that it won’t be remembered in a decade.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2231
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
I bet ya Rhino threw that security guard like a lawnmower at Home Depot so Milton could get that kickflip down the Dompierre gap.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2019, 11:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think the point is that a gnarly part gets diminished by being one-upped, its greatness is based on it being the best things done at those spots, where as something like Verso is about more than that (the cities themselves for one).

People remember/rewatch PJLWHL and Yeah Right a lot more than That's Life or Dying to Live which came out around the same time to similar hype.

But I honest don't know the rules with web parts. Maybe nothing has staying power anymore.
oof I don’t know about that one, I think I’ve watched that’s life damn near more than any other video

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2019, 11:50:02 AM »
Geez, that part was fucked. Dude just flys at everything.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2019, 11:51:42 AM »
The over vert nollie bigspin heel in the fullpipe is absolutely haunting. 

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

Jub's Blackout part is the only one I can think of.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2019, 11:53:16 AM »
Can't remember any PRO going back to do a trick that cost them a broken leg before. That is the gnarliest thing to do.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -380
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2019, 11:54:18 AM »
SOTY. I get there is tech shit people can't do but people will try them. People are not trying most of this shit which is obvious.

Glurmpz

« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
I love how often posters double down on the idea that their personal favorite videos are everyone else's as well, and that they know what everyone in the future is going to like about the past the most. We have a lot of bonafide psychics on here I guess.

Also - both tech and gnar skating get outdone to the same extent. Silly to argue that. It's called progression.   

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2019, 11:55:05 AM »
Holy moly!!! I usually don't get too hyped on gnar parts, but that shit just made me shout noises out loud numerous times!

Besides what has been said that jump over the fence into that steeeeeeeep bank, was amazing! I loved how aligned he was and still landed with his back wheels first!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2019, 11:55:59 AM »
If someone beats Chadd for SOTY,  I could see this being it

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2019, 11:57:35 AM »
We got our SOTY. Mark put out a groundbreaking part but that was nothing but stoke.

The nollie bigspin heel in the tunnel surprised me, and that kickflip at the Dompierre gap was my favorite trick.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »

Also - both tech and gnar skating get outdone to the same extent. Silly to argue that. It's called progression.

Well yeah, but that is only when the parts go into "the most" category. Someone like Puleo has never really been one-upped, since the appeal of his parts aren't the tricks themselves, but the idea of approaching the spots in a specific way.

I also think that Milton's part was about doing something interesting AND being gnarly, so I have a good feeling for its future.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2019, 11:59:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

WTF?

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

No it’s not.

[close]
[close]

am i the only person that doesn't think that what mark did is as revolutionizing as people are making it out to be?  interesting, yes, but I don't think I place the actual concept on such a pedestal like some of you are
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:01:33 PM by straight fucking edge »
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »

Jeremy Wray's water tower ollie. 22 years and counting. And EVERYONE remembers that shit.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
He looked so happy riding away from the car wash. He seems like he would be cool to hang out with. Suiciu’s part was great but he’s hardly having fun and comes off as an insupportable prick in most cases.. Soty
And whoever said that dumb shit about yeah right being way more watchable than dying to live is crazy.

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2019, 12:01:59 PM »
Good god it looked like his board was going to explode on every trick. By the time he did the gap to lip slide I had forgotten about the kick flip and it had kinda after black hammer effect.

slobplant

• Rep: -12
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2019, 12:03:17 PM »
Our boy genius Suciu... smh

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »
dude's a brute and face has been melted...seeing him go back and handle that kickflip at the end, after what happened the first time, is today's sign that everything is going to be ok.

not sure how one goes about comparing this part, Suciu's part, and Tiago's part for something like SOTY--glad it's not my responsibility...nevertheless, i'm thankful for all three very different yet equally inspiring parts...

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2019, 12:08:38 PM »
dude's a brute and face has been melted...seeing him go back and handle that kickflip at the end, after what happened the first time, is today's sign that everything is going to be ok.

not sure how one goes about comparing this part, Suciu's part, and Tiago's part for something like SOTY--glad it's not my responsibility...nevertheless, i'm thankful for all three very different yet equally inspiring parts...
they already gave it to him. No way thrasher is putting this out with that intro and not giving him soty

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2019, 12:09:30 PM »
Fuuuucked!! Gnarliest skating every possible way, not just kinked rails

Love how he always tries to stay on the board after every trick for as long as possible. Makes it feel more like skating and less like just stunts if that makes sense

Also the way he just tapped the end of the rail on kickflip board and lip is so sick

SOTY!