Author Topic: Am I stupid for starting to skateboard at 33 ?  (Read 7028 times)

whitefeathers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Am I stupid for starting to skateboard at 33 ?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2019, 04:55:49 PM »
I don't think so. I'm re-starting this year at 36. My little sister and I shared a board as kids but neither of us got really into it.

uncool old fart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
I'm starting at 30. I pushed around on Wal-Mart boards a bit in high school and college, but I finally got my first "big boy" board earlier this month. I'm kind of thankful that I didn't wreck my body when I was younger. I'm in better shape than I've ever been in and I'm really enjoying just pushing around and getting comfortable on the board. My brother in law restarted at the same time, except he almost went pro when he was a teen. We skate together at a local park near where we live, it's pretty great. On the one hand I'm sad that I didn't start much earlier; on the other hand, I'm glad that I started in the first place.
At this point, I think I’ve seen Bam’s penis more than my own.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 01:56:31 AM »
Skateboarding has been a lot more enjoyable for me since I came back to it this year. In my early 30's and in good shape. It's purely fun, when I was younger it got to a point where everyone was skating to get clips/sponsors and it just felt a bit heavy sometimes. But I love it now more than ever.

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
I’ve been learning since February and I’m making progress but I don’t know any skateboarders to skate with or ask advice

I'm 36 & at least step on my board every day of the week & go skating for an hour or more at least 3 or 4 times a week.

Just keep going... The stress relief alone is worth it.

You'll get there w/ the rest of it.

whitefeathers

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »
I also think at an older age we appreciate certain things more. Like taking care of our bodies, The little things and stress relief.  I go early in the morning to the skate park and skate as the suns rising.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1934
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 06:45:08 PM »
Being older also means you use your time more strategically during the session. You don't have the energy of your younger self and cant skate 4-6 hours in the day; 1.5 to 2 hours is probably the most I can do these days. So I always skate with an objective in mind, like wanting to try this trick or work on this fundamental.

Hopefully you've stayed in shape; being older means you've hopefully packed on more muscle so popping your board will get easier, though you may lose out on dexterity, flexibility and agility. I'm also more aware of body mechanics, kinesthetics and the physics of tricks, so I'm more thoughtful about my tricks rather than just hauling my ass repeatedly at the ledge.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/08/30/jocks-guide-skateboarding-gym-exercises/

This article really helped me get back into skateboarding the past few weeks. Doing a bit of strength and conditioning during off days helps make your sessions last longer, ache less and less injury prone.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 04:34:31 PM »
You are stupidly awesome.

But like someone else said: just go basic, cruise, get VERY comfortable on your board before you try tricks. Too many people try too much too soon.

This is too true

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 06:37:26 AM »
Fuck no, it's a toy to have with

Being older also means you use your time more strategically during the session. You don't have the energy of your younger self and cant skate 4-6 hours in the day; 1.5 to 2 hours is probably the most I can do these days. So I always skate with an objective in mind, like wanting to try this trick or work on this fundamental.

Hopefully you've stayed in shape; being older means you've hopefully packed on more muscle so popping your board will get easier, though you may lose out on dexterity, flexibility and agility. I'm also more aware of body mechanics, kinesthetics and the physics of tricks, so I'm more thoughtful about my tricks rather than just hauling my ass repeatedly at the ledge.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/08/30/jocks-guide-skateboarding-gym-exercises/

This article really helped me get back into skateboarding the past few weeks. Doing a bit of strength and conditioning during off days helps make your sessions last longer, ache less and less injury prone.

The gym can honestly be a huge help. Obviously you don't have to go full meat head but the health benefits are great. I found biking or any cardio helped a ton too since you improve your endurance.

Oldguy78

• Rep: -64
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2019, 06:18:38 PM »
I’m going to piggyback on your post if you don’t mind. I’m 41 and just started skating again a month ago after being off a board for 20 years. I wanted to get my son (he’s almost eight) off of a screen and outside. I’m having a great time skating with him and on my own. My only regret is not getting back into it five or ten years ago. I’ve spent some money on stuff in a way I couldn’t back in the 90’s. Mainly because decks, tricks, wheels, almost all of it is pretty different than it was back in my day. God I sound old lol. So I’m figuring out what size deck I’m comfy on, what wheels work for me and so on. One piece of advice is offer is wear protective gear. I tweeted my wrist a couple weeks in just trying to get back my shovit and it hurt. Wouldn’t have been as back 25 years ago so now I wear wrist guards. Above the age of 30 reflexes slow down and the body takes longer to heal. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:15:26 PM by Oldguy78 »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2019, 08:08:39 AM »
Forget tricks, and enjoy the ride. If you wanna be a real G start pushing switch. Everything else will happen if you want it to.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »
Forget tricks, and enjoy the ride. If you wanna be a real G start pushing switch. Everything else will happen if you want it to.

real G's push any damn way they want

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Not stupid at all. I started skating again at 27 and its been awesome. Progressing so fast. Used to skate as a teenager then stopped at 18 after fracturing 2 vertebra snowboarding ( never snowboarded again). Ive progressed more in the last 3 years than I ever did as a kid. Never too late. And your body is not as worn out as someone who skated their whole life.  You are at an advantage that way.

Half Rick

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 03:00:30 PM »
I started when I was 35, i.e. last year, because it looked fun when my kids started skating. I had never skated before, and the only stupid thing related to me starting skating late was not wearing protective gear in the beginning.

Oldguy78

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
I started when I was 35, i.e. last year, because it looked fun when my kids started skating. I had never skated before, and the only stupid thing related to me starting skating late was not wearing protective gear in the beginning.

True story. I jammed both my wrists pretty good a week ago. I had all the pads except wrist guards because back in my day, the early to mid 90’s I never needed them. Well I’ve gotten some now so that doesn’t happen again.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
I'm 45. Still skating after doing it nearly as long as you have been alive (32 years). Buy hip pads (especially if you're skating ramps). It sucks when it's hot, but now that the weather is cooling off, it'll be one less thing to worry about.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 08:19:32 PM »
Not stupid at all. I started skating again at 27 and its been awesome. Progressing so fast. Used to skate as a teenager then stopped at 18 after fracturing 2 vertebra snowboarding ( never snowboarded again). Ive progressed more in the last 3 years than I ever did as a kid. Never too late. And your body is not as worn out as someone who skated their whole life.  You are at an advantage that way.

Damn that's really impressive, a buddy of mine had something similar happen snowboarding. He came back to it at a similar age and got super good super fast. Being older can be better since you don't just try the same thing over again and can plan your progression.

Half Rick

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »
I'm 45. Still skating after doing it nearly as long as you have been alive (32 years). Buy hip pads (especially if you're skating ramps). It sucks when it's hot, but now that the weather is cooling off, it'll be one less thing to worry about.

Those make sense. But they won’t fit under my jeans. Go baggy or wear them as-is?

I think I’ll get a pair of baggier pants...

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those make sense. But they won’t fit under my jeans. Go baggy or wear them as-is?

The elders I saw around the bowl that wore these tended to go with baggy shorts over them, lest you should look like you’re buffing out Under Armor shorts with maxi-pads
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Half Rick

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 02:51:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The elders I saw around the bowl that wore these tended to go with baggy shorts over them, lest you should look like you’re buffing out Under Armor shorts with maxi-pads

Haha, yeah, I wasn’t too serious ;)

I’m in Belgium, road bikes are extremely popular here (like Tour de France). Dudes who start doing sports closer to 40 often go biking and start wearing those tight bicycle shorts. When I saw the picture it just reminded me of them.

Oldguy78

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2019, 04:38:27 AM »
There are less bulky options than those triple 8’s in that pic. Look around you’ll find some. 

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2019, 03:38:57 AM »
Not if you’re having fun with it

This. You do NOT need to be good to have fun with skating .
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

dofrenzy

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2019, 04:41:03 AM »
I started at age 50, a little over 5 months ago, when I could just push regular, tic-tac, and had a sketchy 180 kickturn.

I can *almost* Ollie (moving) now, and I can bs shuvit almost every time.  On the mini-ramp I can drop-in, rock-fakie, bs rock and roll, and I got my first axle stalls a few days ago.  I am stoked to be having so much fun with this.

I have also been around SLAP long enough to know that some good-natured ribbing is in order here:

As for your original question, I can’t tell you why you are stupid but it probably is not related to skateboarding.  Maybe hereditary or the result of years of drug and alcohol abuse.  If anything, skateboarding will make you smarter, or, at the very least, less stupid. ;)

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2019, 05:42:21 AM »
I started at age 50, a little over 5 months ago, when I could just push regular, tic-tac, and had a sketchy 180 kickturn.

I can *almost* Ollie (moving) now, and I can bs shuvit almost every time.  On the mini-ramp I can drop-in, rock-fakie, bs rock and roll, and I got my first axle stalls a few days ago.  I am stoked to be having so much fun with this.

I have also been around SLAP long enough to know that some good-natured ribbing is in order here:

As for your original question, I can’t tell you why you are stupid but it probably is not related to skateboarding.  Maybe hereditary or the result of years of drug and alcohol abuse.  If anything, skateboarding will make you smarter, or, at the very least, less stupid. ;)

You definitely talk like you’re 50, but that doesn’t detract from you gettin it at that age.

Sincere props to you for starting skating when most people would be calling it quits. That’s fucking core.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

dofrenzy

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:23 AM »

You definitely talk like you’re 50, but that doesn’t detract from you gettin it at that age.

Sincere props to you for starting skating when most people would be calling it quits. That’s fucking core.

Thanks HyenaChaser.  I meant to add the same about the OP and everyone else.  Sincere props.

I have found this activity to be extremely difficult and holy shit *dangerous*, and I have way more respect for anyone on a skateboard than I had before I really started trying.  Also, the exercise benefits are ridiculous.  And the challenge to the brain in general could help hold off dementia.  Who isn’t worried about dementia these days?  I say this sincerely as a 50 year old, the benefits of skateboarding are myriad.  LOL.

Oldguy78

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »

I didn’t realize it until I did some searching but you can buy padded shorts for playing baseball and they’re much slimmer than those. They won’t be nearly as padded but I think I’m going to pick some up and give them a shot. Even if it’s just for piece of mind.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2019, 02:36:08 AM »
No, you're not but after skating for a while you'll feel it because of no starting before.
Have fun and support your local skateshop.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2019, 09:17:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I didn’t realize it until I did some searching but you can buy padded shorts for playing baseball and they’re much slimmer than those. They won’t be nearly as padded but I think I’m going to pick some up and give them a shot. Even if it’s just for piece of mind.
search for impact shorts - there should be plenty of options