Author Topic: Feeling Burned Out  (Read 2906 times)

Yu Dum

Feeling Burned Out
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:27:18 PM »
Been wavering on the idea of posting this thread, but fuck it. I need some advice.
I've been skating for roughly 15 years in between injuries and have loved damn near every second spent thinking about skating and being on the board; however, in the past year I have felt myself slowly feeling more and more burned out on anything skate related. I don't know if it's just me not living up to my own expectations, or if it's just me expecting too much from myself... Regardless, I am sick of feeling this way. I just want to get back to being excited to have an opportunity to go skate.

TL;DR: I am on the verge of just giving it all up and I want to fight that feeling for as long as I can. Anyone have any advice on combating that ole "I'm over it" feeling? Or any tips on how you got the fire in your belly reignited?

Sincerely,
           The Fisherman Who Lacks Vision.

Skart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Ham control
Re: Feeling Burned Out
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
I'd keep the stuff but I'd put it to the side where I have the option to not see or think about it

Life happens, there's other stuff to focus on
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Yu Dum

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 02:40:29 PM »
I'd keep the stuff but I'd put it to the side where I have the option to not see or think about it

You're right. I do have plenty of other stuff to focus on, but I can't help but feel like something's missing... I just miss feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders when I get off work and go skate.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
take a break dude - everything in moderation
that first sesh back might be what saves ya

slippy

• Rep: 83
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
I'd agree with above, take a break.  Come back and try skating something totally different.  If you're a street guy, get some pads and a huge board, try and scratch on vert.  If you got that, try another discipline.  May make you stoked to not have to compare to anything you've done.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 03:29:27 PM »
It's okay to feel burnt on the things you love. You can't truly love something without hating it sometimes anyway.

Whenever I've felt burnt on skating specifically there's usually a few things I'll do about it. I'll make an effort to go somewhere else, because most likely if I'm feeling burnt on skating I'm feeling burnt on going to the same park/spot every day. I'll skate with people outside of my normal routine, cuz sometimes that'll make you at least think about skating differently. Sometimes, I'll just not skate and do something else. Music is probably the only past time that I love as much as skateboarding, and when I sink myself into projects for days/weeks at a time, the first skate session back after that always feels really fucking good.

Don't feel bad for feeling burnt on skating. Skateboarding rocks, but there are a lot more pieces out there to have a fulfilling life and you should address those pieces if they are feeling lacking. Skating ain't going anywhere.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 03:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You're right. I do have plenty of other stuff to focus on, but I can't help but feel like something's missing... I just miss feeling like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders when I get off work and go skate.

Same here, on an expectation vs reality trip

I can't %100 apply myself to life so I constantly return to skating and burn out at times

Fundamentally, it comes down to investigating what you lack in life and why you've latched onto skating in the first place
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »
Skating is great when you’re not constantly preoccupied with the physical burden, so focusing on your health and just feeling a little more energized and capable really helps. We can only do so much for crappy joints, but eating light nutritious meals and detoxing makes me feel better on the board.

Edit: I go through sprees of being obsessed with new hobbies - biking, training, hunting, baking, sports, etc. I think it’s good to spread your time and just pick up some random hobbies. It shines a lot of light on the value of all the work you’ve put into skating. Seriously, just being able to ride through a skatepark comfortably or hop up and down some curbs is something we take for granted, and trying to learn some other shit will make you more grateful for the foundation you’ve built in skating.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:50:48 PM by FROTHY »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 05:52:21 PM »
It’s alright to feel burnt on something you immerse yourself into wholly, as the others have said. Pause, take a break and step away from it for a bit, branch out and see if there’s something in the same vein that appeals to you as a past time. Lots of guys on here have things outside of skating they nerd out on and love.

Best of luck shaking the funk man.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
You probably just need new surroundings. I never feel proper burned out on skating, but occasionally it will start feeling a bit repetitive whenever I find myself falling into a routine of constantly going to the same spots to do the same tricks, eventually doing stuff over and over makes it lose all its meaning and that's when things can start feeling a bit stale. I know it's not always that easy but maybe try putting yourself in the position of skating new locations, maybe even with new people, even if it's just at a new park one afternoon. Skating in circles is only going to exhaust you and make you forget why you do it. The worst you can do to yourself and your skating is to force it, so taking a break can indeed be a healthy possibility, but really you sound like all you need is this one good session in an exciting environment to get the spark back and remember why you'd be sorry later for taking time off this shit. At least I know that's all I need in order to remember.

edit - shit OK, that's already been addressed; actually, great to see lots of peeps are this self-aware
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:12:27 PM by silhouette »

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 06:56:01 PM »
That’s a normal feeling for something you love especially if you’ve done it for a long time. It’s nice to take a break away and have other hobbies as others have mentioned. When you come back, it will feel great if you really love it. I like to play tennis and soccer sometimes to get a hobby from a athletic perspective 

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 05:48:28 AM »
I've been feeling the same way for the past couple of years. Between working multiple jobs, school, health issues, it was getting hard for me to watch people skate and not feel confident enough to go get a piece.

Definitely take some time away and listen to yourself. If your body tells you that it doesn't want you to skate, don't. Always relish the time to relax and get back to normal.

If your mind's conflicting whether or not to skate, force yourself into it. You can change your mind if you really try to.

Overall, if you're mind and body is in sync, take advantage of that. But if not, don't sweat it. It's not worth it, especially since you love skateboarding. It can be easy to hate the things that you love.

Yu Dum

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
Thank you for all the advice, guys.
 I think I am going to take a week away (starting sunday) to see how I feel. It's just weird going from skating damn near every single day to just once, maybe twice, a week. I feel like that might have something to do with it. My body isn't conditioned nearly enough to keep up now.
I did start working out recently (on top of playing more video games) so maybe that can help me negate the effects of not skating as much. We'll see in a week.
Still gonna be posting on here, though. Can't pull myself away.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »
Something that helped me is u following all skate related Instagrams, seeing the constant baragge of insane/goofy tricks can be a downer when you're not at that level or not in the mood.

I also focused my first Slap account, and took a like 6 month break from here. I made my first account in November 2009, but being on here can be a drain.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 07:46:39 AM »
Been wavering on the idea of posting this thread, but fuck it. I need some advice.
I've been skating for roughly 15 years in between injuries and have loved damn near every second spent thinking about skating and being on the board; however, in the past year I have felt myself slowly feeling more and more burned out on anything skate related. I don't know if it's just me not living up to my own expectations, or if it's just me expecting too much from myself... Regardless, I am sick of feeling this way. I just want to get back to being excited to have an opportunity to go skate.

TL;DR: I am on the verge of just giving it all up and I want to fight that feeling for as long as I can. Anyone have any advice on combating that ole "I'm over it" feeling? Or any tips on how you got the fire in your belly reignited?

Sincerely,
           The Fisherman Who Lacks Vision.

My advice would be: Don't fight your feeling about skating.

Even though obviously skating is an activity and not a person, we do have a relationship to it that we cultivate. When I started skating, it consumed me completely and I used it mostly to get kicks and to release anger: I tried alot of tricks I couldn't do. It was less about mastering a technique and more about going fast and enjoying the movement. As I got older I got hurt alot and skating didn't work like that anymore for me. I kept pushing myself to get the same feeling, but I couldn't get it anymore, I kept getting hurt and it didn't work as release to my frustrations in life anymore. Eventually I got a chronic injury and I had to stop skating for a year.

To be able to skate still in my mid thirties I approach it much differently. I am way more careful, rational, controlled and I don't exhaust myself as I used to. It feels very different and I miss the feeling from when I was younger, when I felt completely empty and happy after a long day of skating. It doesn't give me the same feeling it used to give me, but I still enjoy it and I take better care of myself.

Take a break from skating and trust your love of skating. You will eventually find a way to enjoy it again, even though it might feel different.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1370
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 08:09:51 AM »
Yeah, take a break, do things with your new wife (congrats btw!), learn something new. You can do it all.

Also - if you just don’t want to leave skating, try something different like learning more tranny tricks. I got bored with trying to skate ledges and started skating transition more, and it helped maintain my love of skating into my mid-30s now.

I never stopped skating since I started almost 20 years ago, but I never really got out there every day. A few times a week max.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14183
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Honestly I think a lot of the things people mentioned in the being creative thread would work for this too. When I’m over skating I either do something totally different or I’ll try and link up with people I usually don’t skate with and that sometimes gets me motivated again.

Always enjoy seeing your clips on insta btw
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »
Unfollowing a bunch of insta skate accounts is solid advice. I honestly feel like theres just too much out there and if you try to watch it all, it gets boring and monotonous real quick.

I think it’s good to spread your time and just pick up some random hobbies. It shines a lot of light on the value of all the work you’ve put into skating. Seriously, just being able to ride through a skatepark comfortably or hop up and down some curbs is something we take for granted, and trying to learn some other shit will make you more grateful for the foundation you’ve built in skating.

This is solid advice. I remember when I started learning guitar it felt almost like it did when I was first learning how to skate. Trying so hard to just get my fingers to go to the right spots, then finally being able to change chords smoothly was like learning how to ollie, then being able to ollie over a manhole cover, or something along those lines. Something so easy, but so exciting when you're finally able to do it.

Not all hobbies are going to be like that, but ones where you have to practice and learn to do something you've never done will definitely be exciting. Skating will always be there, but life is long and it's never a bad thing to try something new. Even if it doesn't work out or you find out you don't like whatever it is you tried, at least you tried.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:10:00 PM by JB »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 11:01:34 AM »
What everyone else said is basically what I'd advise. Seems like you got some other distractions so when you creep back with those perfect heelflips it'll feel great

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
I'm burned out on life. Everyday feels like a rerun.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14183
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2019, 11:36:32 AM »
I'm burned out on life. Everyday feels like a rerun.

Groundhogs day is a real thing man.
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

Yu Dum

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2019, 12:02:43 PM »
Thanks again, everyone. Seriously. All of this advice is very sound and has me feeling a little more at ease with my current state. It's good to know that I can still come here and get solid advice when I'm feeling like I'm losing my grip.
You all are great. Much love and Shalom to all.

coneklr

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 01:05:16 PM »
Hey man,

I didn't read everyone else's comments and shit as I haven't had much time on here lately but wanted to respond as I had this crisis years ago as well.

Basically I gave up on having expectations on my skating, as I'd watch all of the people around me who did freak out "wtf I should be able to do this trick every try" or shit like that and I didn't want to be that guy.  It isn't worth it.  Neither is forcing yourself to skate if you aren't enjoying it that day.  What I ended up doing is only following actual friends on insta (cutting out all of the noise I don't really care about), trying to skate at least once a week but if I'm not enjoying it for any reason just taking off and doing something I will enjoy and not stressing it.  Life is too short to not enjoy.  If skating isn't your fulltime job, treat it like anything else in your life and enjoy it when you can and don't do it when you aren't.  You will probably lose tricks and shit, but it isn't really a huge deal if your only goal is to enjoy it.

TL:DR

Limit exposure to skate media, enjoy it when you do go out and don't force yourself to when you aren't feeling like it.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 06:00:56 PM »
  Did you try smoking some more weed? I find that helps.  Also, try 'bottom of the transitions tic tac warm up routine'  -yah basically tic tac around the whole park hitting the tranisiton bottoms.  Do it regular, do it switch, you can get some little slides in there.  Skating slow is under rated.  Its good like playing an electric guitar with no amp.  It builds skills.   You do not need to "take a break from skating" you're just at a point where its either you realize that you have to be open minded to keep it fresh or your skating is going to peter off and youll get old.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2019, 06:31:51 PM »
Find weird spots/obstacles you normally wouldn't skate, and skate it. Just fucking around on your board can give you a jolt of energy

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2019, 07:35:18 PM »
Yeah you're not losing your grip dude, skating once to twice is week is probably more than most active skaters past the age of 25. If anything that's not even slowing down, as skating every day literally qualifies as overtraining in sports and will slow down your progression and fuck your body up. This is coming from someone who was obsessed and thought they had to skate a minimum of 3 to 10 hours every day as a teenager, because it was fun but also because I was paranoid about slowing down and losing it and I emotionally projected over skating so much, I seriously dreaded that thought, you sound like you're the same. Then I realized it was all nothing but mental blocks I was basically imposing on myself, probably due to a lack of self-confidence at the time; as soon as after my first few weeks off the board due to my first shares of adult shit I realized my tricks would stay with me, I could still find my own balance although in a busier schedule and basically I was still a skateboarder, just also more of a person. Now I'm turning 32 in a few days and still skate every day I can, we have shitty winters so my current pace has to be once or twice a week too which I'm totally fine as my body can use the time to fully recover, and I can organize my schedule to basically always go skate with fresh legs. In summers it's a lot more and whenever it's dry out I'm always tempted, but I generally listen to my body first and and watch my endurance.

Skating ten hours a day, every day over and over I could do when I was 17, now I can do it for maybe 3 days straight before my legs turn into jelly which I think is still a pretty good condition for my age and how I don't even stretch (I should). I still feel like just as much of a skateboarder, I just do other shit too and actually cherish rainy days now, they feel like a relief that no, I'm not going to once more postpone all the chores to go huck my shitty back and crumbling pair of legs around; time off is basically recovery/chill time.

I'm getting the impression that you've been going through a pretty sudden lifestyle change in general, and finding yourself essentially reconsidering your priorities in order to find ways to adapt, but because you identify with skating so much, the idea of touching skate time kind of freaks you out even though it's been feeling redundant to you lately; in tormented situations like this it's easy to forget where one stands. I'd say just enjoy your hobbies as they present themselves, skating and other stuff because well, why not? Where is the external pressure? Like others have said, just keep skating fresh to you, every session no matter how frequent should feel like an adventure and not a walk in the park. And whenever it starts feeling good to you again, cling to that moment as a reminder of why you're doing it and that the act of skating itself is an infinite source if you let it be, so it itself never is a problem - those only originate from one's personal insecurities. Here really, you're just growing.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:47:19 PM by silhouette »

ige

• Rep: -74
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 01:50:23 AM »
Same. Skated for almost 20 years and last winter just stopped. Haven´t skated since and don´t miss it at all. Started going to the gym and riding proper road bicycles outdoors. Actually, cycling is pretty epic. Riding a great route near where you live or traveling to Cote de Azur or something with your bike, riding in the mountains and having a cold beer afterwards in a cafe or a bar. Something about cycling that i really got into during this year.

Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 02:47:27 AM »
Same. Skated for almost 20 years and last winter just stopped. Haven´t skated since and don´t miss it at all. Started going to the gym and riding proper road bicycles outdoors. Actually, cycling is pretty epic. Riding a great route near where you live or traveling to Cote de Azur or something with your bike, riding in the mountains and having a cold beer afterwards in a cafe or a bar. Something about cycling that i really got into during this year.

Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?
  Looking homeless is rad for fucks sakes.  Better then wearing bluntstones or whatever is "cool as an adult" .  Enjoy cycling in "cote de azure" -very impressive.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 08:26:07 AM »
i feel you fisherman. ditto to most of the above- but i would add go for a long walk, somewhere uncomfortable, like a craft show with your significant other. being on the ground and moving slowly can help you appreciate going fast as fuck and destroying things that get in your way.

getting older doesnt have to be wack

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »
I'm 44. Skateboarding since 11. Been through several burn out phases. I've learned not to force it and only do it when I really want to. Forcing it only leads to bad times and sometimes, injuries...

Everyone's advice is spot on. Take a break, indulge in something else for a bit. The fire will relight when you're ready.

Or try something different with your skateboarding. Spend a month only skating soft wheels... Experiment with Different terrain/ tricks than your usual deal... see what it leads to... Have a no ollie month...