Author Topic: Feeling Burned Out  (Read 2908 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
Re: Feeling Burned Out
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 08:56:16 AM »
Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?

Nah, that feeling only means part of you has died inside. Not even trying to be an ass, it's just what I generally think.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:57:57 AM by silhouette »

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
Same. Skated for almost 20 years and last winter just stopped. Haven´t skated since and don´t miss it at all. Started going to the gym and riding proper road bicycles outdoors. Actually, cycling is pretty epic. Riding a great route near where you live or traveling to Cote de Azur or something with your bike, riding in the mountains and having a cold beer afterwards in a cafe or a bar. Something about cycling that i really got into during this year.

Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?

Should probably focus your account, Mamil.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »

Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?.

I see you've mastered projecting your own insecurities. Well done.

Yu Dum

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 01:36:27 PM »
Yeah you're not losing your grip dude, skating once to twice is week is probably more than most active skaters past the age of 25. If anything that's not even slowing down, as skating every day literally qualifies as overtraining in sports and will slow down your progression and fuck your body up. This is coming from someone who was obsessed and thought they had to skate a minimum of 3 to 10 hours every day as a teenager, because it was fun but also because I was paranoid about slowing down and losing it and I emotionally projected over skating so much, I seriously dreaded that thought, you sound like you're the same. Then I realized it was all nothing but mental blocks I was basically imposing on myself, probably due to a lack of self-confidence at the time; as soon as after my first few weeks off the board due to my first shares of adult shit I realized my tricks would stay with me, I could still find my own balance although in a busier schedule and basically I was still a skateboarder, just also more of a person. Now I'm turning 32 in a few days and still skate every day I can, we have shitty winters so my current pace has to be once or twice a week too which I'm totally fine as my body can use the time to fully recover, and I can organize my schedule to basically always go skate with fresh legs. In summers it's a lot more and whenever it's dry out I'm always tempted, but I generally listen to my body first and and watch my endurance.

Skating ten hours a day, every day over and over I could do when I was 17, now I can do it for maybe 3 days straight before my legs turn into jelly which I think is still a pretty good condition for my age and how I don't even stretch (I should). I still feel like just as much of a skateboarder, I just do other shit too and actually cherish rainy days now, they feel like a relief that no, I'm not going to once more postpone all the chores to go huck my shitty back and crumbling pair of legs around; time off is basically recovery/chill time.

I'm getting the impression that you've been going through a pretty sudden lifestyle change in general, and finding yourself essentially reconsidering your priorities in order to find ways to adapt, but because you identify with skating so much, the idea of touching skate time kind of freaks you out even though it's been feeling redundant to you lately; in tormented situations like this it's easy to forget where one stands. I'd say just enjoy your hobbies as they present themselves, skating and other stuff because well, why not? Where is the external pressure? Like others have said, just keep skating fresh to you, every session no matter how frequent should feel like an adventure and not a walk in the park. And whenever it starts feeling good to you again, cling to that moment as a reminder of why you're doing it and that the act of skating itself is an infinite source if you let it be, so it itself never is a problem - those only originate from one's personal insecurities. Here really, you're just growing.
Man... Out of all the replies on this thread, yours hit the proverbial nail on the head. Literally everything you've said describes what I'm feeling and going through. Thank you for breaking it down so poignantly. And, you're absolutely right about adapting to a new lifestyle and whatnot. I think with me getting married not too long ago on top of the weather changing has me scatterbrained and scared. On top of that, I have a sponsor that I try to appease, but I'm sure if I take a week or two away to regain some focus they won't have anything bad to say or kick me off. (not mentioning that as a humble brag bc being sponsored makes fuck all of a difference)
Thanks, Silhouette. You've given me a lot of clarity and something to take into consideration.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 02:17:43 PM »
My pleasure, if anything I'm glad it resonated because I was a bit scared to project my past struggles over yours too much. Don't overthink the sponsor thing, I also get free shit and don't feel bad about taking time off the board because sometimes you just need it to come back full force, and also in reality you don't want to be that guy tagging them in your IG clips daily (not because loyalty sucks but because that's actual bad marketing). But then again the people I deal with are the fucking coolest. If anything you'll prove yourself better (if that's what you're after) by favoring quality over quantity, try thinking documenting your skating as building a portfolio, good, well-curated ones take time. Honestly, thinking about it I realize most of the potential skate days I pass on nowadays are the ones I know I would just be going to spend just going through my routine in circles at the park and repeat the tricks I can already do, which sounds just as fun as a workout. Skating when you actually feel like it will keep it pure, whereas skating out of boredom is just going to ruin it for you. I think part of maturing as a skater also has to do with accepting that, in order to better optimize the time you do spend on your board (and stay away from injuries as you get older). Every life situation I've found myself in where my skate time was reduced and I could only get the occasional small window of time in has made me realize that every second spent on the board is precious (unless the user chooses that it's not), and moderation only refines that if that makes sense, as you spend more time working on different aspects of yourself (which in turn will end up affecting your skating as you keep developing as a person...). Anyway I've lost track of whatever point it was I was trying to make, but don't sweat it, your board isn't going to resent you for not taking it out daily, and you'll actually be very alright.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:22:23 PM by silhouette »

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2019, 07:18:18 AM »
Also, maybe a regular comment, but being a 30+ years old individual... Skateboarding kind of seems a bit juvenile? Like hanging out on the streets with some broke shoes and old dickies, looking homeless. It´s cool when you´re young but as an adult?.

I was at an indoor park a few weeks ago and there were a few parents there who looked like they were close to my age, sitting and playing with their phones while their young kids were skating or scootering or whatever they were doing. I skated by one of the dads at one point and he gave me a look like "aren't you too old for this?" and the only thing I could think was how his kid probably wishes his dad would get off his phone and hop in a skateboard and come skate with him.

It's all perspective. Phone dad might have had nicer shoes than my ripped up vans, but he can't help teach his kid how to kickflip.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2019, 03:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was at an indoor park a few weeks ago and there were a few parents there who looked like they were close to my age, sitting and playing with their phones while their young kids were skating or scootering or whatever they were doing. I skated by one of the dads at one point and he gave me a look like "aren't you too old for this?" and the only thing I could think was how his kid probably wishes his dad would get off his phone and hop in a skateboard and come skate with him.

It's all perspective. Phone dad might have had nicer shoes than my ripped up vans, but he can't help teach his kid how to kickflip.
  fuck his shoes!!
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 03:01:53 AM »
I completely stopped for nearly 20 years. Back in now and can’t believe I stopped but never really cared. I now know I can’t ever stop again, I feel amazing being back on the board.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2019, 07:31:47 AM »
I know the feeling. Both times things started happening for me I just lost interest. It happens with everything I've done in life.

I once quit shop flow to learn to RB. I did it for 3 months. I learned every grind in like 4 days.
I lost interest and skated again but people where pissed that I left them to hang with RBers

I was in the studio for free and I stopped talking to my band again. I got sick of these people who weren't my friends. I was definitely a dead end and I wasn't going to ever sign my name on shit. They had big dreams. Fuck that never give away your masters for money also don't join metal bands. Punk is where its at. Fuck a label

Last one i was doing pretty good at life so I lost interest and kept going back to the hospital over and over. I smoked coke and shot dope. I didn't give a Fuck. I ran with a gang.

When I was 22 I lost interest In drugs jails etc.
I wanted to skate and take methadone.

16 years later I woke up and got my board again
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
Ive skated since 10 and ill never stop.  Thats just what it's.  Ill do a coffin.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »
Ive skated since 10 and ill never stop.  Thats just what it's.  Ill do a coffin.

werd up.
I can't stop because I can't walk. I been skating since l brought my banana board to show and tell grade k 1983.

Today I walk nowhere. Board rides shotgun. I can be found skating flat everywhere if I got a minute.

_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''