Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4857211 times)

Julz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #10350 on: July 21, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty ironic for a dude who complains about people buying pro model shit AND also created a PROD hate thread...
[close]
The Primitive board isn't great. ur choices are limited when shopping for 8.5

No they're not.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10351 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Pretty ironic for a dude who complains about people buying pro model shit AND also created a PROD hate thread...
[close]

Locally at your shop maybe. Only one shop around? That I could understand.

Don't want to order off the net? Plenty of 8.5" out there.

SW: http://www.skatewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=args&finder=DK&cat_width=DK825&cat_length=&x=46&y=15

SoCal: http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?m=&c=408&l=product_list&sortby=id:desc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:49:44 PM by Xen »

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #10352 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

No they're not.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #10353 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:59 PM »
My thoughts exactly.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

pinch a loaf

« Reply #10354 on: July 21, 2014, 10:48:41 PM »

World Chico football shape reissue
Krux w/ bones bushings (Thunders in pic were too wide)
Oj 42mm dingleberries
Super reds
Jessup & Silverados

Some tricks come easier and some harder, but ledges and mannys are so fun on this. Still working on the crook/noseslide pivots.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #10355 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:31 AM »
yes! i thought i'd be the only one bored enough to do something like that. how do you like the chico shape and oj's?
i got the rudy johnson reissue with 44's. what size thunders did you try originally? 149's?
i've been trying to find old thunders for sale, but can't find any, so i'm probably just going to use newer ones
fuck you bama

pinch a loaf

« Reply #10356 on: July 22, 2014, 08:47:18 AM »
yes! i thought i'd be the only one bored enough to do something like that. how do you like the chico shape and oj's?
i got the rudy johnson reissue with 44's. what size thunders did you try originally? 149's?
i've been trying to find old thunders for sale, but can't find any, so i'm probably just going to use newer ones

Chico shape - Rad! Inward heel and shove it variations are way easier.
I originally put thunder 149 hi's (would be perfect for the Rudy 8.6) but the board is advertised as 8.5 but thats at the widest point. Width around the trucks is more like 8.125
Wheels - Slower than I expected, but really fun. Just have to push a few more times.

All around it's noticeably easier to flip around. Only thing is the football shape makes it feel like a small board, feels like an 8. Next I'm gonna try the rear-end-rudy with the 149's. Let me know how that goes for ya

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #10357 on: July 22, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I originally put thunder 149 hi's (would be perfect for the Rudy 8.6) but the board is advertised as 8.5 but thats at the widest point. Width around the trucks is more like 8.125
Wheels - Slower than I expected, but really fun. Just have to push a few more times.

All around it's noticeably easier to flip around. Only thing is the football shape makes it feel like a small board, feels like an 8. Next I'm gonna try the rear-end-rudy with the 149's. Let me know how that goes for ya
i had surgery. i wont be skating for a few more months. everything is still in the package. i thought about trying to get a chico board, too, because i know dwindle boards aren't exactly the strongest. the rudy will flex out or break eventually. i might not be done trying to live in the past at that point. i can't really find any other boards that have a similar shape. just these two
fuck you bama

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #10358 on: July 22, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
And according to him he can't heel flip on 8.5 and said that tensor's are his new favorite truck.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10359 on: July 22, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
tensors are good for manuals and flip trucks, not for grinding

sports

• Rep: 21
« Reply #10360 on: July 23, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »

dillanharp

« Reply #10361 on: July 23, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i had surgery. i wont be skating for a few more months. everything is still in the package. i thought about trying to get a chico board, too, because i know dwindle boards aren't exactly the strongest. the rudy will flex out or break eventually. i might not be done trying to live in the past at that point. i can't really find any other boards that have a similar shape. just these two
Some old thunders. Probably cheaper to go new though.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171383904495?nav=SEARCH

pandarelated

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #10362 on: July 25, 2014, 07:21:23 PM »
i won this Z-Flex board online. so i set it right up to check it.. looks good.. really mellow concave.. made by PSstix

so Z-Flex 8.25
indy 149 Forged w/ old bones mediums
PFC ben gore 53.5 wheels.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #10363 on: July 26, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
Setting this up pretty soon. I've been really into Slint lately, so i thought a Spiderland graphic was only appropriate.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10364 on: July 26, 2014, 01:12:46 PM »
Setting this up pretty soon. I've been really into Slint lately, so i thought a Spiderland graphic was only appropriate.

classic stuff
hardly art, hardly starving

Omamori

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #10365 on: July 26, 2014, 06:45:18 PM »
World Chico football shape reissue
Krux w/ bones bushings (Thunders in pic were too wide)
Oj 42mm dingleberries
Super reds
Jessup & Silverados

Some tricks come easier and some harder, but ledges and mannys are so fun on this. Still working on the crook/noseslide pivots.

So jealous

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #10366 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:30 AM »

neat

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #10367 on: July 27, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

neat

Thanks.....just had to quote this to eat more of the page up....

Shit was getting a bit weird there for a minute....

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #10368 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:29 AM »

Love that shape, the blunt nose is perfect.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #10369 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:59 AM »
Been a long time since I've ridden Crail wood but I had this in the pile and though why not? Set it up and the first thing i noticed was it is warped as fuck. It has been sitting around for a year or so but none of the other boards I have on standby seem to have this issue. I've got some DLX, Pennswood and PS Stix all stored in the same way and none of them look warped.

Chocolate Alverez 8.125
Indy frankensteined Stg 9 baseplates Stg11 hollow hanger
Picture Wheels 52mm
Bones Swiss 6
Bones med on top hard underneath
Mob
Now my trucks are true and level but you can see to deck is twisted so lifts the back wheel off.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10370 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:51 AM »

stage 9 baseplates...hmmm no thanks
weak shit

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10371 on: July 28, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Soda - Skating warped boards is such a bummer. It doesn't really affect performance as much as it's just plain annoying. I've had boards from every woodshop warp (including South Central, Pennswood, BBS/Generator, PS), but Crail boards definitely seem to have a higher tendency than the others to warp if they are stored for a long period of time. Hell, there are new Crail boards on my local's board rack that are warped. I like Crail boards, but the warp factor always makes me think twice before buying.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by heritage »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #10372 on: July 28, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »

stage 9 baseplates...hmmm no thanks
weak shit

I know, they are the same geometry as stage 10 but weak because of the cut outs but I'm not bothered because I have some stage 10 if I break these which is quite unlikely because I follow the "can't jump up won't jump down" rule. If they do break I will see it as an achievement.
Soda - Skating warped boards is such a bummer. It doesn't really affect performance as much as it's just plain annoying. I've had boards from every woodshop warp (including South Central, Pennswood, BBS/Generator, PS), but Crail boards definitely seem to have a higher tendency than the others to warp if they are stored for a long period of time. Hell, there are new Crail boards on my local's board rack that are warped. I like Crail boards, but the warp factor always makes me think twice before buying.

I skated it today and it fucking sucks. Every time you set up for some thing as soon as you go to pop it wiggles and throws you off balance and won't level out. Half cabs go straight rocket and anything else you land 180 you tend to swerve really hard out of. I give it a week and I'll either pull something else out or buy a new deck. It sucked that bad that this might be the first board I focus if I can't give it to someone that doesn't mind a warped board.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #10373 on: July 28, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »

The last two I've skated have been warped. One was stored for a few months and the other warped after two short sessions. Bummer because I tend to like the shapes. And yeah, it doesn't really fuck with performance that much but it fucks with my mind.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #10374 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:25 PM »
i rode a warped flip board once. god was it horrible. i was young, didn't have any money, and there was a brand new warped flip board up for grabs laying around at the shop for someone brave enough to try and skate it. that was one of the two weeks of my skate life in a stretch of really bad boards. save yourself the time and frustration. ditch the chocolate. it's going to fuck with your skating which is going to fuck with your head, which is going to stress you out and make you angry. make it into a funky cruiser board since it's not really a wallhanger
fuck you bama

4wheels

« Reply #10375 on: July 28, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
i bought an 8.5 alien and it was warped, i sat it up but i just couldnt ride it.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #10376 on: July 28, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
I've been riding mostly shaped boards for a while but decided to set up a standard board after watching static and the bronze vid

Real Ishod symmetrical 8.38 x32.125
Thunder 149
Spitfire 53.5 f4
Sample bearings
Mob m80

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10377 on: July 28, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »
I've been riding mostly shaped boards for a while but decided to set up a standard board after watching static and the bronze vid

Real Ishod symmetrical 8.38 x32.125
Thunder 149
Spitfire 53.5 f4
Sample bearings
Mob m80

What's the shape like on this? Anyway you could post a pic of the griptape side?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10378 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
Oooh, a wide symmetrical, nice! I've been trying to find one 8.75" but I'm not finding them.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10379 on: July 28, 2014, 08:31:21 PM »
Oooh, a wide symmetrical, nice! I've been trying to find one 8.75" but I'm not finding them.
Yeah I'm with you on this. Maybe not 8.75. But close, like 8.4-8.6.