Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4805155 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1201
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #23100 on: February 25, 2020, 05:30:21 AM »
Love that graphic.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mariomister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #23101 on: February 25, 2020, 05:46:25 AM »
Expand Quote

The National 8.375
indy 149 standard
Sml wheels 51mm Slim
Pusher bearings Ceramics
Ashes griptape

Huf shoes
[close]

Had that exact same board but slightly smaller. Boards are apparently HLC, which a lot of people like to talk shit on, but I had two of those National boards and loved em both.

yes lokks like the Hlc wood is back on track and decks looks good and nice.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #23102 on: February 25, 2020, 07:14:48 AM »
Krooked 8.38 14.25wb
Indy 149 std
Shitty bearings
Oj elite Glick pro model 53mm 99a
Indy hardware
Emerica wino standards black/black

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #23103 on: February 25, 2020, 07:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here’s my park setup. I have the perfect luck of living across the street from one of the new parks in Los Angeles

8.25 Quasi
ACE 44’s
Bones Swiss
56mm F4 conicals

The embossed paint is really sticky but it’ll wear off and be fine
[close]

Do you run risers? I'm tempted to get 55s but don't know if i'll get bad wheel bite, even with a 1/16' shock pad.
[close]

You won’t
i don’t use risers. 56 isn’t big enough to need them imo

I also have the 8.5 with the black background as a wall hanger
fuck you bama

Gogogadget1987

• Rep: -3
« Reply #23104 on: February 25, 2020, 08:34:45 AM »
Baker 8.25
Indy 144's
Spitfire bigheads 52mm
Bones reds
Indy hardware
Shake junt griptape

GoneWithTheSchwinn

• Mods
  • Rep: -9957
« Reply #23105 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:20 AM »
8.25 Polar
149 hollow Indys with after market bushings
55mm Dial Tones
Bones Swiss
7/8 Allen head bolts (like Steve from DOA, I think Phillips head are dumb)
Theories grip tape

Black half-cabs
Brown pants
White Seasons/Australia fire relief shirt

BLACK LIVES MATTER
FUCK 12

"Watch out or the gazpacho police will get you!"

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #23106 on: February 25, 2020, 10:14:04 AM »

Here’s my park setup. I have the perfect luck of living across the street from one of the new parks in Los Angeles

8.25 Quasi
ACE 44’s
Bones Swiss
56mm F4 conicals

You mention this is your park setup. I am curious to know what you run as your street setup. I am constantly resisting the urge to put together two different setups and instead have tried to assemble an "ATV" (which is 8.25, 149 trucks, and 55 mm wheels).  Thanks!

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #23107 on: February 25, 2020, 10:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote

8.25 Quasi
ACE 44’s
Bones Swiss
56mm F4 conicals

[close]

You mention this is your park setup. I am curious to know what you run as your street setup. I am constantly resisting the urge to put together two different setups and instead have tried to assemble an "ATV" (which is 8.25, 149 trucks, and 55 mm wheels).  Thanks!

Birdman 8.125
Thunder 147’s with the 95a replacement bushings
52mm F4 classics
Bones Big Balls

DC Legacy 98 Slims

I like skating street and doing flip tricks, but I also like skating transition and ramps. Sometimes the smaller board with smaller wheels isn’t the best option and it can be hard to get more speed when you’re skating 52’s. I used to have a vert board too but I haven’t padded up in years, so that stuff got swapped over to an 80’s style board
fuck you bama

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23108 on: February 25, 2020, 11:48:45 AM »
polar p8 (8.8 widest point, tapers to 8.25 at rear trucks)
thunder 151 hollow light
ace bottom bushing thunder stock top
spitfire radial slim 52mm down to 50
reds
jessup
had a great time with this board, will buy another in the future
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #23109 on: February 25, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Here's my upcoming summer/fall board. Planning on skating this, a 7.75 Real that I have waiting for me, and my Tired cruiser/tranny board. I'm currently skating a Scumco. I'll post pics of all those later.

My intention with this setup was to find a better shape/overall ride based on everyone's recommendations. It's not 100% but this setup consists of...

• One sheet of Mob. I was trying to find Grizzly or Jessup Ultragrip, because some say Mob is too grippy, but I couldn't find the Ultra and a sheet of Grizzly would cost about $20 where I live, so pfft.
  • Bones Swiss 6. I'm currently skating regular Swiss and they're definitely quality bearings. I'd read on here - even from Tracer - that the 6 were even faster and stronger, so I'll see.
  • Iron Horse bolts. I've never tried Iron Horse but I'm keen to see if they're strong. They use two silver bolts like Silverados to tell where your tail is, which I'm not too enthusiastic about since I like solid black grip. But it's cool. I'm not that anal retentive about grip.
  • Ace 33 trucks. Some reviews of Ace have been that the pivot cup is slippery and the trucks feel squirrelly. I had a pair of 44s and they were fucking great, so I decided to buy these. Ace is considered more of a "tranny truck" so I'm not sure how these'll respond to whatever street tricks I do, since they're smaller. I didn't change the bushings either, but I was considering the Kreper bridge bolt...maybe.
  • Spitfire Formula Four Conical Fulls, 53 mm. Heard good things about F4s and conical fulls, my first time trying either. I guess the conical fulls are again more for a transition setup, so I'm curious to see how it'll respond to street skating. I'm not too fond of the brown/yellowish colour of the wheels but that's not a big issue.
  • Chocolate Yonnie Cruz windowsill board, 8 x 31.5, G018 shape. I wanted a pointier board for flip tricks and I'm average height, so I figured this would be best. I heard 8 x 31.5 is a gold standard for sizing by some of yous so I wanted to try it out. Also heard their new wood is better so I figured I'd give it another shot. I wanted to support Yonnie, big fan, and I love the graphic. The wheels don't compliment the graphic too well but again, whatever.

Eventually when I skate this I'll post how it felt. Anyone has any suggestions to switch shit up, let me know. I know the wheels look a bit wonky as well in the pic as well, I don't know why. They don't stick out at the edges either. Oh and the right photo is inverted, that's why the shadow is different. Whoops

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #23110 on: February 25, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »
Here's my upcoming summer/fall board. Planning on skating this, a 7.75 Real that I have waiting for me, and my Tired cruiser/tranny board. I'm currently skating a Scumco. I'll post pics of all those later.

My intention with this setup was to find a better shape/overall ride based on everyone's recommendations. It's not 100% but this setup consists of...

• One sheet of Mob. I was trying to find Grizzly or Jessup Ultragrip, because some say Mob is too grippy, but I couldn't find the Ultra and a sheet of Grizzly would cost about $20 where I live, so pfft.
  • Bones Swiss 6. I'm currently skating regular Swiss and they're definitely quality bearings. I'd read on here - even from Tracer - that the 6 were even faster and stronger, so I'll see.
  • Iron Horse bolts. I've never tried Iron Horse but I'm keen to see if they're strong. They use two silver bolts like Silverados to tell where your tail is, which I'm not too enthusiastic about since I like solid black grip. But it's cool. I'm not that anal retentive about grip.
  • Ace 33 trucks. Some reviews of Ace have been that the pivot cup is slippery and the trucks feel squirrelly. I had a pair of 44s and they were fucking great, so I decided to buy these. Ace is considered more of a "tranny truck" so I'm not sure how these'll respond to whatever street tricks I do, since they're smaller. I didn't change the bushings either, but I was considering the Kreper bridge bolt...maybe.
  • Spitfire Formula Four Conical Fulls, 53 mm. Heard good things about F4s and conical fulls, my first time trying either. I guess the conical fulls are again more for a transition setup, so I'm curious to see how it'll respond to street skating. I'm not too fond of the brown/yellowish colour of the wheels but that's not a big issue.
  • Chocolate Yonnie Cruz windowsill board, 8 x 31.5, G018 shape. I wanted a pointier board for flip tricks and I'm average height, so I figured this would be best. I heard 8 x 31.5 is a gold standard for sizing by some of yous so I wanted to try it out. Also heard their new wood is better so I figured I'd give it another shot. I wanted to support Yonnie, big fan, and I love the graphic. The wheels don't compliment the graphic too well but again, whatever.

Eventually when I skate this I'll post how it felt. Anyone has any suggestions to switch shit up, let me know. I know the wheels look a bit wonky as well in the pic as well, I don't know why. They don't stick out at the edges either. Oh and the right photo is inverted, that's why the shadow is different. Whoops
I will say I was pretty consistent on that same shape

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23111 on: February 25, 2020, 03:53:55 PM »

Unless it's specifically specified (ie Bones Street Tech Formula vs Bones Skatepark Formula), equipment will work anywhere. ACE and SF F4 Conical Fulls won't kill you in street. If anything, that's a really good setup IMO. Equipment for specific purposes only comes into play once you know your personal preferences.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #23112 on: February 25, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »

Looks like you nailed it to me. Very clean.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #23113 on: February 26, 2020, 04:38:25 AM »

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
Is Maxallure still distributed by Bakerboys?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #23114 on: February 26, 2020, 05:17:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
[close]
discussion happening in woodshop thread, buttfart w some insight. Their recent $25 sale could be China

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #23115 on: February 26, 2020, 06:01:05 AM »
discussion happening in woodshop thread, buttfart w some insight. Their recent $25 sale could be China

I'm fairly certain it's China but I have no real facts to back that up so I could be wrong. The only thing that I've really found out for sure is that it's the same wood as consolidated. It's thicker than any other deck I own and doesn't feel particularly well made but it skates fine. I wouldn't be surprised if it broke on a flat ground trick or something but at that price its pretty much disposable anyways. The grip is pure Chinese trash though.

WKND logo deck 8.25" x 31.75" 14.25"wb
Film 5.5 hollow
54mm Bones stf 99a (V4 wide)
Hard Luck Swiss
Jessup Ultra

I'm such a sucker for Pittsburgh colors.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #23116 on: February 26, 2020, 07:07:06 AM »

Folklore 8.0 Fibretech Light
Venture 5.2 Lo Hollow Lights
Arrow 52mm Conicals
Assorted Bearings
Assorted Bolts
Assorted Grip

Decided to give this board another go by pairing them with Venture after reading all the hype. I steered clear from Ventures after trying to pair a Real deck with 14.44" WB with some old Venture 5.0 which gave me an ultra long WB.

Turns out this setup was magic and just what I needed to give new life into the board. The short 14" WB paired really well with Ventures' 3.5" WB extension. Not crazy about the height, could be a couple of millimeters higher but I'll live with some risers.

Pinch on them was excellent, I had a phobia of FS Crooks and never learned, managed to do one today thanks to the awesome pinch. Same with BS Smiths too.

Baseplate slide was ok, Indys have much chunkier baseplate but I'll take the explosiveness of Ventures over the floppiness anyway.

My only grip was turning, I had them wiggling loose to give me better pinch during FS Crooks but they didn't have the same carvey turn as Thunder or Indys. I suppose that was better, too much turn would have thrown me off my kickflips.

Overall really happy I decided to give this old board a 2nd shot with Ventures. The snappiness is fading quickly, so 1 more session and I'll give it away at the park.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #23117 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:04 PM »

WKND logo deck 8.25" x 31.75" 14.25"wb
Film 5.5 hollow
54mm Bones stf 99a (V4 wide)
Hard Luck Swiss
Jessup Ultra

I'm such a sucker for Pittsburgh colors.

Dang, dedicated enough to that #ThreeStripeLife to cut it into your grip?? Dedication. How is that Jessup Ultra grip though? I've been interested in trying it. Grippier than normal Jessup right?
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #23118 on: February 26, 2020, 02:57:02 PM »

Dang, dedicated enough to that #ThreeStripeLife to cut it into your grip?? Dedication. How is that Jessup Ultra grip though? I've been interested in trying it. Grippier than normal Jessup right?

I wore nothing but Sambas for like 15 years of my life but that was unintentional. I was actually planning on doing more stripes and just gave up because the blade was pretty dull and was kind of ripping more than cutting.

I wasn't a huge fan of the ultra at first but I've been using it a lot lately since everything is always slightly wet here in the winter and regular jessup can get a lil slick and I've grown to really like it. It's definitely grippier than the regular stuff but not as grippy as mob and it sticks better in cold weather than mob. I actually really like plain blank grizzly (no diecuts or anything) but not many places stock it so ultra has become kind of my go-to lately and I'm happy with it.

Sightunseen

• Rep: 90
« Reply #23119 on: February 27, 2020, 05:22:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
[close]
[close]

it’s not China wood. I mentioned already about it believably being SC wood.   

Maxallure isn’t distributed by baker boys, have no clue where you heard that
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

Diocletian

« Reply #23120 on: February 27, 2020, 07:36:52 AM »

$lave 8.375” w/Jessup
Shorty’s “lights” 7/8” phillips
Thunder 148 titanium lights
Spitfire 51mm classics
Bones Super Reds

Whitedude

« Reply #23121 on: February 27, 2020, 07:41:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
[close]
[close]
[close]

they were listed on the bakerboys site at one point a while ago

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #23122 on: February 27, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
[close]
[close]
[close]

lol probably heard it from that time baker boys announced that they were distributing them?

Might not be now, but they were baker boys when they launched.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #23123 on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:27 AM »
Sumocum 8.6
Thunder Lights 151
Loophole 54
Shieldless Reds
Allen
Jessup black, Mob clear

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23124 on: February 27, 2020, 10:08:59 AM »
Sumocum 8.6
Thunder Lights 151
Loophole 54
Shieldless Reds
Allen
Jessup black, Mob clear

here you go man. Nice setup.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #23125 on: February 27, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Sumocum 8.6
Thunder Lights 151
Loophole 54
Shieldless Reds
Allen
Jessup black, Mob clear

[close]

The $lave board above and this one are beautiful. Really diggin the grip Job on the scumco. The top ply color is rad.
IG: @flowterspace

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #23126 on: February 27, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
Ha. Thanks man. I’m pretty ignorant in the ways of message boards.
Expand Quote
Sumocum 8.6
Thunder Lights 151
Loophole 54
Shieldless Reds
Allen
Jessup black, Mob clear

[close]

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
« Reply #23127 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Maxallure 8.25
indy 149 hollow
54 F4s classic shape
Bones Swiss
Mob
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

lol probably heard it from that time baker boys announced that they were distributing them?

Might not be now, but they were baker boys when they launched.

Back in 2018

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23128 on: February 27, 2020, 07:07:14 PM »
Alright keeping it going  8)

Maxallure 8.75” x 32.5” (tape flat) x 14.5”wb
Venture 6.1 (good looks @off)
Carry over reds and 54mm F4 conical 99a
1” shorty’s phillips

Rowan pro

« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:27:33 PM by jay_nev »

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #23129 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »
Alright keeping it going  8)

Maxallure 8.75” x 32.5” (tape flat) x 14.5”wb
Venture 6.1 (good looks @off)
Carry over reds and 54mm F4 conical 99a
1” shorty’s allen

Rowan pro

8.75 Damn homie, you out here riding boats

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.