Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4812540 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26610 on: January 03, 2021, 10:51:48 AM »
to

Orchard deck by Robbie Gangemi 8.1
(L: 31-7/8"
WB: 14-1/8"
N: 7
T: 6-7/8")
Indy 139 (were on my girlfriends deck but she's over it for the time being).
Spitfire F4 Classics were 54, maybe 52mm now.
Bones Swiss
Allen hardware

Bummed that it's raining today. My first observation of the wood is it sounds great, feels great. Standing on the board, I like  the shape and concave (fairly mellow to medium). The nose and tail look almost absurdly long when looking at the bottom of the deck, but I'm excited to see how this shape works for me. Am I gonna have a good time with tail and nose slides now? I'm the type who likes to switch it up.

Dam that's beautiful. Defo update when you can on how it skates
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #26611 on: January 03, 2021, 10:53:44 AM »

Polar Nick Boserio 8.6 x 32.3 x 14.3 wb
Ace 55
Spitfire Cardiel Tablets 55mm
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

Been stoked on Ville Wester Instagram clips so I finally setup my ace 55s and copped a new polar deck. Couldn’t quite commit to the full 9.0 and I liked the idea of the slightly shorter wb on the 8.6. Had the wheels on hand as well so ended up with a full Christmas complete. Coming from skating lock ins the tablets feel pretty much the same and I’m definitely enjoying them

The setup as a whole though has not been great. I blame part of it on new parts because I hate new trucks and bushings as well as breaking in new wheels is a bit of a pain for me. My main issue however is I cannot seem to get this setup off the ground. My first session I could not get my back truck up on a medium high ledge no matter how many times I tried. It’s definitely a heavier setup, but I’m fairly used to that so I figured I’d be alright but so far no good for leaving the ground
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:01:43 AM by hobochimp »

sketchyrider

« Reply #26612 on: January 03, 2021, 11:53:20 AM »

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

Been stoked on Ville Wester Instagram clips so I finally setup my ace 55s and copped a new polar deck. Couldn’t quite commit to the full 9.0 and I liked the idea of the slightly shorter wb on the 8.6. Had the wheels on hand as well so ended up with a full Christmas complete. Coming from skating lock ins the tablets feel pretty much the same and I’m definitely enjoying them

The setup as a whole though has not been great. I blame part of it on new parts because I hate new trucks and bushings as well as breaking in new wheels is a bit of a pain for me. My main issue however is I cannot seem to get this setup off the ground. My first session I could not get my back truck up on a medium high ledge no matter how many times I tried. It’s definitely a heavier setup, but I’m fairly used to that so I figured I’d be alright but so far no good for leaving the ground

bummed to hear you don't like it cause those are my favorite dims, i have one of those polar ones lying around too. same shoe size even. im running a heavier madness slick deck with that same shape/dims and i have decent luck with a medium ledge. if you still cant get the hang of it later maybe smaller wheels or hollow 159s.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #26613 on: January 03, 2021, 12:46:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

[close]

bummed to hear you don't like it cause those are my favorite dims, i have one of those polar ones lying around too. same shoe size even. im running a heavier madness slick deck with that same shape/dims and i have decent luck with a medium ledge. if you still cant get the hang of it later maybe smaller wheels or hollow 159s.

Lol I always have the same issue. I'll get hyped on some big board setups from the Polar riders and set something up only to find that I got no pop on it. Aces are so nice but they make setups so goddam heavy.

Panettone

« Reply #26614 on: January 03, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

[close]

[close]

Lol I always have the same issue. I'll get hyped on some big board setups from the Polar riders and set something up only to find that I got no pop on it. Aces are so nice but they make setups so goddam heavy.

Try Thunder man

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #26615 on: January 03, 2021, 01:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

[close]

Yeah I’m bummed I don’t like it too. The dims seem perfect but so far it’s been super weird to skate. Definitely not giving up yet bc in the past some of my all time favorite setups I’ve hated in the beginning. Might try a different set of trucks just to see though. I have a spare set of 159 hollows so I might do some more experimenting

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #26616 on: January 03, 2021, 01:31:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

[close]

[close]

Uh oh. I’ve got similar shit, and can easily foresee a same result

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #26617 on: January 03, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
Just my two cents but you need risers with 55s. They are very low for how wide they are. 1/8" risers do a lot for them. Not sure about the science behind it, but yeah.

ballintoohard

« Reply #26618 on: January 03, 2021, 06:55:16 PM »
It's not the setup. Ace's aren't light, but you're talking minimal savings over most Indy's. I've run all brands of trucks, am not good, and can still get up on tall ledges no issue.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #26619 on: January 03, 2021, 08:57:22 PM »

D.O.A. 8" flat. Black magic grip
Venture 5.2 lo supercush green bushings
Spitfire classics 50mm race reds
Diamond 7/8th hardware
Bobshirt sticker <3

Shoe rotation; af1, dunks, reebok club c and workout, and adidas pro models.

Dinglenuts

• Rep: 2
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26620 on: January 03, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »

Diamond 7/8th hardware
Bobshirt sticker <3

That is perfection. Nice shoe rotation too, mine is very similar.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26621 on: January 03, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
Expand Quote

Diamond 7/8th hardware
Bobshirt sticker <3

[close]

Very nice setup.
Af1’s you say.....mids? How they working for you?

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #26622 on: January 03, 2021, 09:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[img]https://i.postimgR0MD/20210103-125638.jpg[/]

Diamond 7/8th hardware
Bobshirt sticker <3

[close]
[close]

Very nice setup.
Af1’s you say.....mids? How they working for you?

Af1 lows. Once you adjust your flick foot position they feel so good. Have not rolled my ankle once and I wear em hella loose. Stomping my feet don't hurt at all. The toe box last a good while if you super glue the stitching. The midsole is the best part longest lasting midsole I've ever had

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #26623 on: January 03, 2021, 10:23:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Reds
Jessup
Shorty’s Allen hardware
Blazer mids sz 12

[close]

[close]

[close]

Try Thunder man

I’m one of those dudes who can’t noseslide on thunders cus of the baseplates lol. A lot of these bigger boards have wide ass wheelbases too and thunders and ventures push them out way too much for me.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #26624 on: January 04, 2021, 12:24:36 AM »
Anyone ever skate this Mother deck below? I remember skating it a few years ago (it was an 8.5) and idk if it was the wheelbase but I've never had a deck that flipped as good ever again.

If anyone could tell me what the wheelbase on this thing was, would be super helpful. I'm not sure if Quasi have the same dimensions as early mother decks.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26625 on: January 04, 2021, 03:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote

Diamond 7/8th hardware
Bobshirt sticker <3

[close]
Anybody who can do the shoe rotation is my hero. Kudos to you guys.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26626 on: January 04, 2021, 03:21:03 AM »
Anyone ever skate this Mother deck below? I remember skating it a few years ago (it was an 8.5) and idk if it was the wheelbase but I've never had a deck that flipped as good ever again.

If anyone could tell me what the wheelbase on this thing was, would be super helpful. I'm not sure if Quasi have the same dimensions as early mother decks.

One place had these specs, but I don't know if that would be correct with such a long length (at 32.75) but others show length more often around 32, so I think this info below should be better.

Quasi Mother Jake Johnson Catharine brown professional skateboard deck.
Limited reissue Mother Collective skateboard.
Width: 8.5"
Length: 32.125"
Wheel Base: 14.25"
Manufactured at PS Stix.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #26627 on: January 04, 2021, 04:16:47 AM »

i got you dawg.

seems to be about 14.18 with my measurements.

Manufactured at PS Stix.

i think this is correct in terms of reference. i measured with a measuring tape real quick but had to account for the tip of that tape sticking out.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 827
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #26628 on: January 04, 2021, 06:11:42 AM »

First non DLX board in more than a year.
Wknd Tom K 8 in
Thunder Hi
Spit conical full f4 54mm
Reds
Shortys Allen 1 1/8  (bender stopped making them)
Girl risers ( ready to try the DLX wood ones if I can find them)
Black magic
Cons Fastbreak pro AL-D

Edit: fixed! Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 08:55:19 AM by MOE SYZLAK »

Acky Jacky

« Reply #26629 on: January 04, 2021, 06:36:32 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/OSr6pFn
Wknd Tom K 8 in
Thunder Hi
Reds
Black magic
Cons Fastbreak pro AL-D

Edit: I’ve tried to post the url with the IMG brackets , no clue why it’s not working...

You need to use imgur on your desktop (doesn't work on phone). When you click the upper right corner of the photo it should have "share links", one specifically for a forum. Fun looking set-up though, I like the yellow risers. I kinda like the way 54's look on a relatively small board.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #26630 on: January 04, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »
Wknd Tom K 8 in
Thunder Hi
Reds
Black magic
Cons Fastbreak pro AL-D

Edit: I’ve tried to post the url with the IMG brackets , no clue why it’s not working...

If you are using an iPhone you can click on the actual imgur picture and copy that, rather than copying a link to the picture, and paste in the [img] brackets. For some reason that’s the only way I can share my Imgur pics on here on a mobile device

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #26631 on: January 04, 2021, 07:46:33 AM »

Off my IPhone...

Just like @Sundaynuggets say, got to hold the image with your thumb until the option to ‘copy image’ pops up.

I only use my phone for SLAP and sometimes have issues but then I try again and it typically works.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #26632 on: January 04, 2021, 07:50:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i got you dawg.

Expand Quote
Manufactured at PS Stix.
[close]

i think this is correct in terms of reference. i measured with a measuring tape real quick but had to account for the tip of that tape sticking out.

Thanks boys, helped a ton!

I guess it's the same size and shape as some of the Quasi 8.5's, gonna try to find one at the local next time!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26633 on: January 04, 2021, 08:02:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

i got you dawg.

Expand Quote
Manufactured at PS Stix.
[close]

[close]

I guess it's the same size and shape as some of the Quasi 8.5's, gonna try to find one at the local next time!

Nice work slap.
I’ve got an 8.5 ps I need to setup, similar measurements. I’m sure it’d be great with indys, trying not to open those madness portals tho.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 827
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #26634 on: January 04, 2021, 09:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Wknd Tom K 8 in
Thunder Hi
Reds
Black magic
Cons Fastbreak pro AL-D

[close]
Fun looking set-up though, I like the yellow risers. I kinda like the way 54's look on a relatively small board.
Yeah the wheels look kinda dump trucky on a small board but I love “bigger” wheels and I’m just not willing to downsize. I will be exited to try some risers that are hard and actually fit thunders.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #26635 on: January 04, 2021, 11:15:07 AM »

3 sessions in, feels good so far, but yesterday it started snowing.

-No Comply Deck 8.125 x 31.875 / 14.25 wb
(small German Skateshop, but good peeps)
-No Comply Hardware
-Indy 139 Hollows
(back truck top washer 92 aftermarket)
-Spitfire F4 Radial Slims ~ 51mm
-Blurs Bearings
-Jessup
IG: @flowterspace

Acky Jacky

« Reply #26636 on: January 04, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
to
Expand Quote

[close]

As far as the wood goes, it feels great. I’ve really only skated Generator, PS Stix, and one China Wood (Evisen). I just did some kickflips, full cabs, pop-shoves and s/w shoves to test it out.
The geometry is taking me getting used to, but the pop feels great when it happens.

I’m coming off of skating ventures, I might need to throw them on here to extend the wheelbase (is that right)? I was getting ghost pops on my regular shuvs but actually popping my switch shuvs. So somethings work and some don’t so far. Anyways. I recommend trying this board if you want to try something new, but maybe not if you’re used to skating much smaller noses or tails. There’s a lot of fingers of flat on these so it takes a bit of effort for me and my indys.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 03:32:49 PM by Count Jackula »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #26637 on: January 04, 2021, 04:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote
to
Expand Quote

[close]

As far as the wood goes, it feels great. I’ve really only skated Generator, PS Stix, and one China Wood (Evisen). I just did some kickflips, full cabs, pop-shoves and s/w shoves to test it out.
The geometry is taking me getting used to, but the pop feels great when it happens.

I’m coming off of skating ventures, I might need to throw them on here to extend the wheelbase (is that right)? I was getting ghost pops on my regular shuvs but actually popping my switch shuvs. So somethings work and some don’t so far. Anyways. I recommend trying this board if you want to try something new, but maybe not if you’re used to skating much smaller noses or tails. There’s a lot of fingers of flat on these so it takes a bit of effort for me and my indys.
[close]

Sounds great

Yep ventures would push the wheel base out..
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26638 on: January 04, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »

At least it is still a standard size and shape, so should be a good one to find again and again and again...  :)

Sucks when you have that most amazing board but can never replicate it again.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #26639 on: January 04, 2021, 06:08:28 PM »
New setup except for the trucks and bearings. Getting back into it after about 1.5 years off.

Anti hero 9.0
Indy 169 titanium
Bones stf 99a v5 53mm
Random bearings
Jessup grip

Still waiting on harder bushings and new bearings to arrive.