Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4800997 times)

Hyliannightmare and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #31200 on: June 01, 2022, 11:31:17 AM »
My nephew likes to lay claim to my decks when I visit family and when he visits me (with my permission of course). That said, after this weekend’s claiming, I set up a new one:

Santa Cruz Dressen 9.3
Ace 55s
58mm OJ 101a Mini Combo
Bronson Raw

This looks like a nice shape and a rad setup.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #31201 on: June 01, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »

Baker 8.475
Indy 144 Hollows, aftermarket bushies
Spitfire 54 Classic Fulls that are about 53
Quantum Atoms
Lawn Chair Hardware.
Not sure what grip I used either Jessup or Pepper.

I liked the 8.38 quite a bit but never got used to tailslides on it and some of my staples felt a bit labored. Giving this a shot. The mellow kicks make the shorter WB feel less cramped. I think my practical max is 14.38

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #31202 on: June 01, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »
The VX deck I set up just under a month ago feels the same as it did on day 1. Genuinely impressed. That said I swapped my old trucks and bearings over to this Evisen non-football double taper board with some radial fulls. I didn't get to skate once over the long weekend because of a brush with food poisoning. The silver lining is that my local weekday/night flat ground and curb spot just got repaved while I was sick

8.8x31.4 14'' wb that tapers significantly
58mm Radial fulls
Bones Swiss freshly cleaned and lubed
Thunder 148's that are on their second life
Real 3 ply risers

prob really good for impossibles

This setup looks like a ton of fun. Shape on that deck looks fantastic

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #31203 on: June 01, 2022, 03:51:54 PM »
Received the warranty replacement and finally got this rig rolling. Just in time for warm weather in the PNW, too.

Orange Eagle
AF1 66 Lows
F4 Classics 53mm/97A
Some variety of Reds (w/ white shields)
Some type of basic black hardware
Some type of basic black grip (probably Jessup)

I actually had a set of the old low bushings (the ones that come in the 03s/02s) and swapped them in for the AF1 bushings. The wider shape of the top cone offers a tiny bit of extra firmness and wheelbite protection at the end of the turn, which I needed on a boat like this. I’ll put the high baseplates back on this eventually and move the lows to a smaller deck, but it’s going to be my weird, lazy parking lot/curb board for a while.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31204 on: June 01, 2022, 05:58:37 PM »

Glider IceBlink 8.5" Twin Tail
Thunder 149 Hollow Lights
Spitfire F4 Classics 53mm
Bones Big Balls
Diamond 7/8" allen hardware
Jessup Grip

Super fun first session, totally weird trying to not throw the board down the same way every trick. I may need to get some new bushings because these do lean a bit one way but I haven't found the new thunder replacement bushings anywhere.

The shape is awesome, shout out to @Paul_gliderskateboards
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:25:05 PM by BartHarleyJarvis »

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #31205 on: June 01, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »

Bones Big Balls

Super fun first session, totally weird trying to not throw the board down the same way every trick. I may need to get some new bushings because these do lean a bit one way but I haven't found the new thunder replacement bushings anywhere.

nifty nifty! if it's not too much trouble, could you hook up a side shot?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #31206 on: June 01, 2022, 07:45:17 PM »

Just set this guy up.

Uma toenail shape 9” x 32.12” 14.3” wb
Film 6.0/155 trucks
Spitfire f4 conical full 54mm 97a
Bones big balls
Jessup
7/8” Allen hardware

Such a lovely graphic @Freelancevagrant . I hope Uma continues to use Thomas Campbell's art gallery friends for their boards.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #31207 on: June 01, 2022, 07:58:48 PM »

I just happened to notice new Thunder replacement bushings are hitting shops. Redesigned the packaging a bit and messed a little bit with the colors. 97 same ol red, 94 new ice blue and 90 translucent orange that might be new with a solid white also available. Dunno about other duros and that may well be it. Not kits mind you but just bushies.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31208 on: June 01, 2022, 08:11:06 PM »

krooked sweatpants thanks @big_kev_215
venture 6.1 hollow w/cast plates
nfg short tops 95a + supercush 94a bottoms + nfg pivots
f4 radial full 58mm 99a now 56
mini logo bearings
shake hunt hardware
jessup

dedicated transition/slappy/fun board
tried flipping this around and its just not worth the effort
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31209 on: June 01, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls

[close]

Do these work? You can DM me if you need any additional shots

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31210 on: June 01, 2022, 08:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I just happened to notice new Thunder replacement bushings are hitting shops. Redesigned the packaging a bit and messed a little bit with the colors. 97 same ol red, 94 new ice blue and 90 translucent orange that might be new with a solid white also available. Dunno about other duros and that may well be it. Not kits mind you but just bushies.

Those are exactly what I've been looking for, good to hear someone's seen them in the wild. Apparently the Grenade logo is gone. The 94 Ice Blue look so damn good but might be too hard, going to give them a shot regardless.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #31211 on: June 01, 2022, 09:32:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls

[close]

[close]

perfect dude ty, exactly what i was looking for. gonna have to snag one to try it seems

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31212 on: June 01, 2022, 09:41:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls

[close]

[close]

[close]

perfect dude ty, exactly what i was looking for. gonna have to snag one to try it seems

Great shape great concave. Nice and full, definitely recommend it.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #31213 on: June 01, 2022, 10:31:13 PM »

Grimplestix X 510 skateshop 8.5 (navy eagle shape)
Venture 5.8 (cast baseplates, titanium hangers, clear 88 dlx supercush, flat top washer)
Spitfire f4 99a 53mm OG classics
Swiss

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #31214 on: June 02, 2022, 03:20:15 AM »
Apologies in advance for the terrible pic.

Pass~Port Shadow Series "Vase"
8.0W/31.88L/6.89N/6.54T/14.01WB/0.35 concave depth (probably a II on the DLX grade)
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Masame Pivot Cups - Hard (98A)
Hella old F4 99 Classics, started out as 52s, probably 50/49 at this point
Crusty Bones Reds
Shorty’s Lights 7/8” Phillips
Jessup Standard - good ole line in front of the bolts of the back truck - nothing special.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #31215 on: June 02, 2022, 03:28:01 AM »

8.0W/31.88L/6.89N/6.54T/14.01WB/0.35 concave depth (probably a II on the DLX grade)
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
Jessup Standard - good ole line in front of the bolts of the back truck - nothing special.
This graphic is amazing. And the trucks matching makes it look even better. 10/10 setup my friend.

SaySo

« Reply #31216 on: June 02, 2022, 03:31:06 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
This graphic is amazing. And the trucks matching makes it look even better. 10/10 setup my friend.

Thanks!

I honestly don't really like trucks that are painted, but got these for a song during the height of the pandemic when gear availability was questionable. Thought about stripping them, but got too lazy.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Boog

« Reply #31217 on: June 02, 2022, 03:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
[close]

Thanks!

I honestly don't really like trucks that are painted, but got these for a song during the height of the pandemic when gear availability was questionable. Thought about stripping them, but got too lazy.
I know what you mean. I can do colored baseplates but the whole truck kinda bothers me. But honestly solid black doesn't look bad. Now when people have like neon yellow or satin trucks I have to question their integrity lol.

SaySo

« Reply #31218 on: June 02, 2022, 03:51:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
[close]

Thanks!

[close]
I know what you mean. I can do colored baseplates but the whole truck kinda bothers me. But honestly solid black doesn't look bad. Now when people have like neon yellow or satin trucks I have to question their integrity lol.
Yeah, the "wild" color combos are definitely not my bag.

I suppose when considered against the options on the color/pattern spectrum, solid black trucks aren't that terrible. Always struck me as putting off "sporting goods store complete/fisher price - my first deck" vibes.

They're not camouflage or tie-dyed - some people can pull those off and that's dope. However, I am not and never have been one of those people.

But as we all age, I think we're all starting to run out of fux to give. Live and let live.

Hahaha.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #31219 on: June 02, 2022, 04:41:58 AM »

krooked sweatpants thanks @big_kev_215
venture 6.1 hollow w/cast plates
nfg short tops 95a + supercush 94a bottoms + nfg pivots
f4 radial full 58mm 99a now 56
mini logo bearings
shake hunt hardware
jessup

dedicated transition/slappy/fun board
tried flipping this around and its just not worth the effort

Looking good with those wheels - probably perfect size with the 6.1s

Boog

« Reply #31220 on: June 02, 2022, 05:41:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
[close]

Thanks!

[close]
[close]
Yeah, the "wild" color combos are definitely not my bag.

I suppose when considered against the options on the color/pattern spectrum, solid black trucks aren't that terrible. Always struck me as putting off "sporting goods store complete/fisher price - my first deck" vibes.

They're not camouflage or tie-dyed - some people can pull those off and that's dope. However, I am not and never have been one of those people.

But as we all age, I think we're all starting to run out of fux to give. Live and let live.

Hahaha.
Exactly! As long as you're happy and having fun that's all that matters.

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #31221 on: June 02, 2022, 07:36:02 AM »

Bones Big Balls
Jessup Grip

Did it have any markings/stampings on top indicating what woodshop the Glider twins come from? If not, do you happen to know where? I've heard their regular decks are out of Chapman, but they told me that their twins are from somewhere else. I'm intrigued in trying one after my ishod twin is done.

Thanks for any info man! I've been wanting to move up from an 8 inch to 8.25/.5, but I have a bunch of 139's/147's on ice and am too cheap to buy new trucks for a wider deck. Might have to suck it up and do a magic carpet setup, although not my thing.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #31222 on: June 02, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls
Jessup Grip

[close]

Did it have any markings/stampings on top indicating what woodshop the Glider twins come from? If not, do you happen to know where? I've heard their regular decks are out of Chapman, but they told me that their twins are from somewhere else. I'm intrigued in trying one after my ishod twin is done.

Thanks for any info man! I've been wanting to move up from an 8 inch to 8.25/.5, but I have a bunch of 139's/147's on ice and am too cheap to buy new trucks for a wider deck. Might have to suck it up and do a magic carpet setup, although not my thing.

No markings on the top ply or stickers on the shinkwrap when I received it. I can say my first impressions are that the deck feels a little heavy BUT it skated great my first session and my pop with Thunders is surprisingly high. My kickflips were feeling really good and it felt like I was catching them a bit higher.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #31223 on: June 02, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
Passport 8" have 14" wb's?? Most sources say 14.25"

SaySo

« Reply #31224 on: June 02, 2022, 10:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
@Not Internet Famous Yeah, I measured it and it's 35.6 cm (14.01 inches)?

After riding it for a session, it honestly doesn't feel like an 8" width, it feels like the PS Stix Quasi 8.125" I was riding a couple of decks back. My last deck was a PS Stix Quasi 8" and it felt markedly skinnier than this BBS 8"

SaySo

« Reply #31225 on: June 02, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]

That is weird though. After just perusing the intarwebs quickly - you are correct. Many pages list the deck I have as a 14.25" WB. Wonder if I got a bootleg or something?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31226 on: June 02, 2022, 05:51:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Indy 139 Hollow Forged
Crusty Bones Reds
[close]
[close]

That is weird though. After just perusing the intarwebs quickly - you are correct. Many pages list the deck I have as a 14.25" WB. Wonder if I got a bootleg or something?

No it would be a genuine Passport.

Even those dimensions listed by most places are provided on spreadsheets, not someone actually measuring the boards, so they are very prone to be incorrect.

I usually only go down to 8.125 or 8.25 which are both 14.25 wb or 8.38 which is 14.38 wb but the smaller boards are shorter too, from when I checked for someone a while back.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #31227 on: June 02, 2022, 05:58:42 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones Big Balls
Jessup Grip

[close]

Paul from Glider is active on Slap.

Check the Twin Tails thread for more info

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=105756.840

Frank and Fred

« Reply #31228 on: June 02, 2022, 08:29:52 PM »

Hate to stray from the Huffer but these wheels did not look right on the Huffer shape and so I got a Polar with wheel wells in the Memorial Day Sale.

9" Shin
Ace 55 Classics
60mm OG F4 Classics
1/4" risers in the photo but replaced with 1'8" Real wooden risers.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:08:20 AM by Frank and Fred »

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #31229 on: June 03, 2022, 03:59:34 AM »

Quasi Proto 2 8.5
Venture 5.8
Spitfire Conical Full 53mm
Bronze
Jessup
Reds