Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4799334 times)

CaderSk8r, Gene_Harrogate, DinnerDog425 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

shawngreg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 63
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #26880 on: January 22, 2021, 01:51:49 PM »
Side note: does anyone else actually like Venture bushings? I’ve skated Ventures for a while now and I’ve thrown in Bones and Indie bushings and just couldn’t get used to them. You do get some bad ones with Venture that crumble and crack way too easily but overall I like the mushy/less responsive feel of Venture bushings.

i swear by the stock bushings. but i do have a top flat washer and riptide pivot cups in mine

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #26881 on: January 22, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 Clutch/Ben Degros blank
Ace 44s
52 Spit tablets f4s
6 ball swiss

green bottom ply, layer of silver spray, layer of black spray.  interested to see how it scrapes.

probably won't order any more Degros blanks (ive got two more to burn through).  I think i'm going to get the Carpet ones moving forward so I can support better people
[close]

Did you say Carpet does blanks or just want to buy carpet decks? First I'm hearing of them making blanks if so
[close]

How'd you mean?
I’m assuming the weird alt right shit he posted a while back.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #26882 on: January 22, 2021, 03:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
52 Spit tablets f4s
6 ball swiss

green bottom ply, layer of silver spray, layer of black spray.  interested to see how it scrapes.

probably won't order any more Degros blanks (ive got two more to burn through).  I think i'm going to get the Carpet ones moving forward so I can support better people
[close]

Did you say Carpet does blanks or just want to buy carpet decks? First I'm hearing of them making blanks if so
[close]

How'd you mean?
[close]

Aw no.... Not Ben....

Can you remember what it was ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26883 on: January 22, 2021, 04:11:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
52 Spit tablets f4s
6 ball swiss

[close]

[close]

How'd you mean?
[close]
[close]

Aw no.... Not Ben....

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114893.0

Overreaction tbh. OP of that thread tried posting it on reddit a few weeks before but it got buried. I believe OP just hates Ben for some weird reason.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #26884 on: January 22, 2021, 04:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

welcome.  very sick first setup post.  the look of a used white board/white shoes combo is a personal fav.

how soft is the leather on those Blazers? i had a pair of the white leather/gum toe burins and the leather was so amazingly soft it was like skating in a glove.

The leather on these is super soft too. Feels like a slipper once it’s broken in. It’s decently durable too. The rubber wears away pretty fast though. I had a pair of Tyshawn’s before these and those things were indestructible in comparison. Still a big fan of how the Blazers skate - I have a second pair of the exact same colorway lined up for after these aren’t skateable.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1220
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26885 on: January 22, 2021, 05:33:23 PM »

DOA 8.25
Venture lights 5.6
53mm conical fulls
Bronze allen hardware
Some random grip someone sent me.  Sushi something.
Rockln rons bearings

First sc standard mold I’ve skated in a while.  Ive kinda struggled on the previous two I tried, so Im crossing my fingers that this one will work out.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26886 on: January 22, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
forgot my last setup on the train like a moron after smoking and drinking with friends right after i got everything dialed :( spent the week getting everything replaced. gotta figure out some balance with weed after losing tolerance

dane 1 9.75/31.375/14.125wb (thanks @jay_nev)
venture 6.1 w/forged plates+flat washers+indy super softs
f4 conical full 52mm 101a
swiss super 6
bronze allen
mob
adidas tyshawns

first time switching plates has been worth it for me with ventures. pop was feeling mellow yet heavy with the cast which i didnt love. forged is giving me the perfect height, weight, and counterbalance for pop. feels like a more stable thunder which is perfect in my eyes.

also a first for owning 101a f4s and they definitely perform the best on smooth ground. got pitched into the street the second i hit crust so ill probably switch to 99a og classics if the trend continues. hating the shields on my swiss now that my wheels are the loudest part of my setup. they gotta go after their first clean.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #26887 on: January 22, 2021, 08:45:34 PM »
That's a damn good looking set-up.  I just had the same experience with my 101 F4 tablets today on some crusty ground.  If anyone was driving around Jefferson/National in LA today around 3pm and saw some fool in a flannel with his feet up in the air, I hope you enjoyed...

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #26888 on: January 23, 2021, 04:46:56 AM »
I had to put the rails pretty close together since my board is a 7.75”
ML deck- 8” ML trucks
54/99 bones STFs
Reds big balls
Rib bones
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKYy5yjFXsn/?igshid=1o0tuegoizcem
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #26889 on: January 23, 2021, 05:46:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nice One! Think im going with a eagle next time.

How does the concave tving with the roman Numbers on the top ply work? Also is there a big difference between the steepest & most mellow concave?
[close]

I seem to find the I to IV are not as important as the shape or size of the board, but they do ever so slightly play in to things too.  Example, the 8.38s in general always feel like a much flatter concave than the 8.25 boards, which feel like a taller nose and tail with more rail concave too, when I have put them side by side graphic up the 8.25 sits higher, same when they are face down, the 8.25 rail edge sits higher.

Overall the exact same board in a I and a IV on the rare occasion I have seen them have seemed to have minimal difference, but there was slightly more in the I compared to the IV.

What size board do you usually ride / were thinking of getting?  (I looked over previous posts, 8.25 to 8.5)
[close]

Allright sweet! Guess i dont have to think about that one too much then.

I've been looking at the Antihero classic eagle 8.75. Theyre a full-ish shape right?

The 8.25 full w. 14.5wb was really nice but too narrow in transition, 8.5 w. 14.25wb (was 8.38ish when i checked) was also nice but not as stable in transition.

I've been thinking about the orange eagle too but i think 8.75 & 14.6 is enough
[close]

Orange is huge, 9 x 33 with 15" wheelbase, so unless you are going full metal, I would say the 8.75 is perfect.  There is also the 8.6 just so you know - cream eagle.

In 8.75 there is the white eagle, but also the Real oval logo deck and the Krooked eyes deck, all the same everything.

Talked about them in a couple of other threads too, as well as earlier in this one.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.60

Yea im back in my ol cruiser at 33" 15" WB, pretty sluggish to throw around but its so stable.

I cant decide between the 8.75 eagle & the 9 polar pop..
Wanna support the local Polar dudes plus Antihero boards är like 25€ more here

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #26890 on: January 23, 2021, 06:00:52 AM »

Welcome 9"
Ace 55
Bones reds
Spitfire tablets 52mm
Mob and white Jessup
Thunder risers 1/8"

Put together curb setup for the future when weather turns better. Gonna put rails on it also. Never tried to do anything to grip and it shows, but still happy that it turned okay.

Just waiting to get done with this rough winter and grind curbs outside.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #26891 on: January 23, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »

DOA 8.25
Venture lights 5.6
53mm conical fulls
Bronze allen hardware
Some random grip someone sent me.  Sushi something.
Rockln rons bearings

This is beautiful

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #26892 on: January 23, 2021, 08:07:43 AM »

Welcome 9"
Ace 55
Bones reds
Spitfire tablets 52mm
Mob and white Jessup
Thunder risers 1/8"

Put together curb setup for the future when weather turns better. Gonna put rails on it also. Never tried to do anything to grip and it shows, but still happy that it turned okay.

Fuck that’s a pretty set up.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #26893 on: January 23, 2021, 08:29:03 AM »
Expand Quote

Welcome 9"
Ace 55
Bones reds
Spitfire tablets 52mm
Mob and white Jessup
Thunder risers 1/8"

[close]

I second that.

On the fence about grip jobs sometimes but this one really works
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #26894 on: January 23, 2021, 12:44:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Welcome 9"
Ace 55
Bones reds
Spitfire tablets 52mm
Mob and white Jessup
Thunder risers 1/8"

[close]

[close]

I second that.

On the fence about grip jobs sometimes but this one really works
Thanks to both of you! I've been on plain black grip for decade so was curious to try to do something special for once.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #26895 on: January 23, 2021, 05:54:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
52 Spit tablets f4s
6 ball swiss

[close]

[close]

How'd you mean?
[close]
[close]

Aw no.... Not Ben....

[close]

Overreaction tbh. OP of that thread tried posting it on reddit a few weeks before but it got buried. I believe OP just hates Ben for some weird reason.

yeah thats part of it, but also he's just some youtube guy selling blanks and Carpet is an actual brand that works hard on their products and offers something more tangible to skateboarding in my opinion.  I just prefer to ride blanks at the moment so I would rather support people like Carpet for a couple extra bucks than some youtube kook. 

Also, I think Ben keeps switching up the source of his blanks so I don't think you can even get these Clutch ones anymore

also also, snapped this one on a flatground 3 flip today; hoping the other two last a little longer
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #26896 on: January 23, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Nice One! Think im going with a eagle next time.

How does the concave tving with the roman Numbers on the top ply work? Also is there a big difference between the steepest & most mellow concave?
[close]

I seem to find the I to IV are not as important as the shape or size of the board, but they do ever so slightly play in to things too.  Example, the 8.38s in general always feel like a much flatter concave than the 8.25 boards, which feel like a taller nose and tail with more rail concave too, when I have put them side by side graphic up the 8.25 sits higher, same when they are face down, the 8.25 rail edge sits higher.

Overall the exact same board in a I and a IV on the rare occasion I have seen them have seemed to have minimal difference, but there was slightly more in the I compared to the IV.

What size board do you usually ride / were thinking of getting?  (I looked over previous posts, 8.25 to 8.5)
[close]

Allright sweet! Guess i dont have to think about that one too much then.

I've been looking at the Antihero classic eagle 8.75. Theyre a full-ish shape right?

The 8.25 full w. 14.5wb was really nice but too narrow in transition, 8.5 w. 14.25wb (was 8.38ish when i checked) was also nice but not as stable in transition.

I've been thinking about the orange eagle too but i think 8.75 & 14.6 is enough
[close]

Orange is huge, 9 x 33 with 15" wheelbase, so unless you are going full metal, I would say the 8.75 is perfect.  There is also the 8.6 just so you know - cream eagle.

In 8.75 there is the white eagle, but also the Real oval logo deck and the Krooked eyes deck, all the same everything.

Talked about them in a couple of other threads too, as well as earlier in this one.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114805.60
[close]

Yea im back in my ol cruiser at 33" 15" WB, pretty sluggish to throw around but its so stable.

I cant decide between the 8.75 eagle & the 9 polar pop..
Wanna support the local Polar dudes plus Antihero boards är like 25€ more here

Totally sounds like Polar for the win!

I am not biased at all (even though I will always personally choose AH) - but if I could get Polar in sizes and shapes I liked, for significantly less I would.

The 9 polar has 14.5 wheelbase, so is a very good all rounder for a wide board.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26897 on: January 23, 2021, 11:44:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 44s
52 Spit tablets f4s
6 ball swiss

[close]

[close]

How'd you mean?
[close]
[close]

Aw no.... Not Ben....

[close]

[close]

yeah thats part of it, but also he's just some youtube guy selling blanks and Carpet is an actual brand that works hard on their products and offers something more tangible to skateboarding in my opinion.  I just prefer to ride blanks at the moment so I would rather support people like Carpet for a couple extra bucks than some youtube kook. 

Also, I think Ben keeps switching up the source of his blanks so I don't think you can even get these Clutch ones anymore

also also, snapped this one on a flatground 3 flip today; hoping the other two last a little longer

Based on his IG and DMs with him he's trying out some blanks from China. In my experience they are good for the price, lasting around 2/3 as long as a US deck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #26898 on: January 24, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
Solace of Mind 8.5” 14.5” wb
Venture 5.8 standards w/ inverted kingpin
F4 Classics 52mm
Bones Swiss

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #26899 on: January 24, 2021, 08:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote

Real 8.75 - my first 8.75 and I think I’m switching to it for the foreseeable future

Pig 52mm - I’m enjoying these much more than I thought I would, might try out their conical shape next

Indy 149 - smaller than ideal for a 8.75, but the deck overhang makes scoop tricks easier since I have more leverage, also primos don’t feel as bad

Mob

Super Reds

7 Black Indy and 1 Gold Pig Bolt

Louie Lopez Pro Model Cons 11.5
[close]
do you have a top view of that 8.75” ? Curious about shape

Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Like the other guy said it's a perfect shaped bigger board, not too steep, not too mellow. This one was a 3 in the stack though so results may vary. Nose is slightly blunted which I'm a fan of.

ScarceOne

• Rep: 38
« Reply #26900 on: January 25, 2021, 06:30:33 AM »
Girl pop secret 8.37
Thunder 149 Krux DLK swap
Chocolate 52mm conicals
Bronze 56k Allen

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #26901 on: January 25, 2021, 07:48:11 AM »
How's the pop secret feeling? I'm a sucker for tech-y boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #26902 on: January 25, 2021, 11:25:04 AM »

I’m also curious how they feel. I’d love to skate the crail shapes but not have the breakage/sogginess of normal crail wood.

Tomek

• Rep: 29
« Reply #26903 on: January 25, 2021, 02:50:24 PM »
Doa 8.25
Indy 149 with ace baseplate
Spitfire 80hd 58
Allen hardware

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #26904 on: January 25, 2021, 04:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m also curious how they feel. I’d love to skate the crail shapes but not have the breakage/sogginess of normal crail wood.

I’ve had a few sessions on mine.  I like the shape/concave and it still feels super stiff.  Once it’s dead I might make a little review.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #26905 on: January 25, 2021, 07:58:43 PM »
First egg! Also the smallest deck I’ve gotten in awhile that’s not a cruiser.

Heroin soft boiled egg 8.75”
Indy 144
Spitfire conical fulls 101s 56 mm ridden down to ~54 mm
Bones reds

Supposed to snow tonight so won’t be able to try it out for a few days unfortunately
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 09:05:23 PM by doomstation55 »

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #26906 on: January 26, 2021, 04:34:15 AM »

My smaller winter flatground setup.
Snaped my 5 Boro so time for change.
Loved the 5B btw.. Best wood i had in a while.
AH Chris Pfanner 8.06 14.38 Wheelbase
Indy 139s Forged Hollow
Bones Bushings 96A
Spitfire Conicals 99A  53 mm now at 52 mm
Bronson G3
Diamond Hardware
Snowed in and a bad shoulder atm so it could take a few weeks till I have a chance to skate again
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 439
« Reply #26907 on: January 26, 2021, 08:24:12 AM »
First egg! Also the smallest deck I’ve gotten in awhile that’s not a cruiser.

Heroin soft boiled egg 8.75”
Indy 144
Spitfire conical fulls 101s 56 mm ridden down to ~54 mm
Bones reds

Supposed to snow tonight so won’t be able to try it out for a few days unfortunately
Those 144s look good on there! Do you think a 149 would work too?

Fhk

« Reply #26908 on: January 26, 2021, 10:44:35 AM »

Polar 8.75
Venture 6.1 Indy soft bushings
Bones 54mm wheels
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Bulk hardware
Vans Rowans

RichardBarkley