Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4785912 times)

fairydinkum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27330 on: March 01, 2021, 08:19:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

[close]

omg this looks so good

man, this reminds me soo much of how aesthetically pleasing 80s freestyleboards are. I can imagine it'd be fun doing some spacewalks on it.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #27331 on: March 01, 2021, 10:34:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I saw one of your stickers at the foundation DIY in Asheville and got excited at the slap/real-world overlap.

Also, colored wheels and this graphic are tasteful.
[close]

It’s funny cause my girlfriend was just telling me about how here family doesn’t get my “sticker thing”

@Niceblackman glad to here people are enjoying them. I got a lot of love from slap on the first drop. Slap bought more boards than locals.
Show em that Shepard Fairey Hulu doc
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #27332 on: March 01, 2021, 10:49:15 PM »
man, this reminds me soo much of how aesthetically pleasing 80s freestyleboards are. I can imagine it'd be fun doing some spacewalks on it.

It's so fun looking down at it and just carving around.  It feels so different to any other board i've ridden since 1990, which rules.  Trying G Turns on it is the best.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27333 on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:34 AM »

Deck got a bit scuffed during shipping and I tried doing a different grip job with sketchy results but

Hockey 8.5
Indy Titanium 149s
Spitfire F4 55mm classics
Bones Reds
6 Shorty’s bolts, 2 green Shake Junt bolts
Jessup messup

Biggest board I’ve ever had

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #27334 on: March 02, 2021, 06:25:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just set up this Blockhead Streetstyle as a slappy / cruiser.  Pretty crazy to ride, as theres no weight in the nose and the tails kinda long, its super light to get the wheels up.  It's super light in general, as it's kinda small.  These were originally made in 1986 and were one of the first boards to have a 'long nose'.  Kinda looks like a bart simpson / comic book version of a skateboard, and I love it.  Shits flat as a tack, so it's a trick staying on with slappies, but it kinda makes it more fun.

Spitfire F4 97a Classics, 56mm - Love em! Been looking for a wheel that feels like a hard wheel thats a touch more forgiving
Indy Stage 10 149s - been a while since i've ridden anything but 169 Indys and while these turn a bit slower, which might be a stage 10 thing, but anyway, theyre good.  It's nice to have a new truck to grind.  Had these sitting around for 10 years, good to use em. 

[close]

omg this looks so good
[close]

Reminds me of the board Mariano rode in his sk8tv interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUM8s4Aioo4

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27335 on: March 02, 2021, 02:05:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

omg this looks so good
[close]

[close]

Reminds me of the board Mariano rode in his sk8tv interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUM8s4Aioo4

Thoroughly enjoi’d this video, it just looked like a great time to be alive in your youth.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #27336 on: March 02, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »

8" Habitat BBS wood . 14" WB , 31.5"
Venture 5.2 low Lights, 52mm F4 OG Classic 99du.
bones swiss, bronze hardware , jessup grip

this is shaped like old Habitat/AWS boards, similar to what FA shapes are now, squared off big nose, pretty fat tail, steepish kicks and concave.

pretty much my perfect board.

just purchased some venture 5.2 Hollow Lights Hi's. not sure if I'll actually make the switch from lows , wheel bite has been getting me with the newer 52mm wheels. need to get these down to 50's and we'll be in business.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2152
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #27337 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »

New deck!
Theories UFO shape
Same Thunder Team 149, Spit F4 Conical 54mm, Bones Swiss, etc, as last time.
This thing is ticking off a bunch of boxes for me.
No idea which woodshop it’s out of.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #27338 on: March 02, 2021, 03:18:57 PM »

New deck!
Theories UFO shape
Same Thunder Team 149, Spit F4 Conical 54mm, Bones Swiss, etc, as last time.
This thing is ticking off a bunch of boxes for me.
No idea which woodshop it’s out of.
That's sick! I just got the Theories Special delivery shape and I love it.  Was looking at this one but wanted the shorter wheelbase. Definitely looks like this shape's got more room in the nose.
And I believe Theories is BBS.

Get hungry on it!

Fhk

« Reply #27339 on: March 02, 2021, 03:30:12 PM »

this is shaped like old Habitat/AWS boards, similar to what FA shapes are now, squared off big nose, pretty fat tail, steepish kicks and concave.

just purchased some venture 5.2 Hollow Lights Hi's. not sure if I'll actually make the switch from lows , wheel bite has been getting me with the newer 52mm wheels. need to get these down to 50's and we'll be in business.
Ooolaalaa.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #27340 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:48 PM »

Deck got a bit scuffed during shipping and I tried doing a different grip job with sketchy results but

Hockey 8.5
Indy Titanium 149s
Bones Reds
Jessup messup

Looks great! I have that deck on deck for my next setup. I’m a big fan of mostly black graphics.  How’s the pop on that with the 55 mm wheels?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #27341 on: March 02, 2021, 07:32:16 PM »
Habitat

Do you go tip to tip on a board length with habitats pressed by BBS?

I only ask because I’ve seen the latest boards they’ve got and all the lengths seem smaller and I wonder if it’s just the BBS vs PS measure methods

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #27342 on: March 02, 2021, 08:55:57 PM »

I forgot to get a “before” pic before I skated this today
T Hawk 8x32. It’s pretty flat and more of a full shape, which are two things I don’t normally like, but it was working out in my favor
fuck you bama

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27343 on: March 02, 2021, 09:27:58 PM »

T Hawk 8x32. It’s pretty flat and more of a full shape, which are two things I don’t normally like, but it was working out in my favor

8 x 32 is a pretty unique combination, BBS? WB?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #27344 on: March 02, 2021, 09:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it’s a BBS deck. I’m assuming it’s the same board as any other Baker Boys 8”. 14” wheelbase
fuck you bama

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #27345 on: March 03, 2021, 03:05:57 AM »
Expand Quote

Hockey 8.5
Indy Titanium 149s
Bones Reds
Jessup messup

[close]

Looks great! I have that deck on deck for my next setup. I’m a big fan of mostly black graphics.  How’s the pop on that with the 55 mm wheels?

Well, for me the biggest change is going from 8.125 to 8.5. It feels heavier, but I also notice the deck sort of holding my feet more securely with an ollie. Maybe because of that nose? I got the 55’s because I wanted to cruise on this thing for a bit, slide around and they’ll wear down nicely to the 53’s I usually skate. Further updates with warmer weather.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #27346 on: March 03, 2021, 04:48:45 AM »

So pretty.
Love the lows but I also need to get my spitifires down a couple mm.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27347 on: March 03, 2021, 05:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
it’s a BBS deck. I’m assuming it’s the same board as any other Baker Boys 8”. 14” wheelbase

Spec info has it at almost that, which would be a good all rounder, not super short like a lot of those Baker Boys boards.

Features:

Width - 8.0"
Length - 31.875"
Wheelbase - 14.25"

*** I think it would be nicer as 32, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #27348 on: March 03, 2021, 06:55:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Ooolaalaa.
I ran a few of that same habitat shape a year or two ago and really liked it

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • the moon rules
« Reply #27349 on: March 03, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Spec info has it at almost that, which would be a good all rounder, not super short like a lot of those Baker Boys boards.

Features:

Width - 8.0"
Length - 31.875"
Wheelbase - 14.25"

I never go off the online specs. They’re very rarely 100% accurate. With a tape measure in hand it measures out to 32” even and 14” even. Baker Boys boards tend to be too flat for me usually
fuck you bama

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #27350 on: March 03, 2021, 04:16:12 PM »

GIRL Rick Howard 8.25 (G52) Slick
Indy Forged Hollow 144 stock
Bones Easy Streets 53’s
Bones Swiss
Bronze Hardware
Mob Grip

Has been ages since my last crailtap deck, but I’ve been liking the latest team moves and content from Girl so I thought about trying a new one out. It’s a shorter board at 14inch wheelbase which was something I was curious about and also a Slick which I never tried before. Hyped to try it out this weekend.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #27351 on: March 03, 2021, 04:42:03 PM »

Bones Easy Streets 53’s
Bones Swiss
Bronze Hardware
Mob Grip

Has been ages since my last crailtap deck, but I’ve been liking the latest team moves and content from Girl so I thought about trying a new one out. It’s a shorter board at 14inch wheelbase which was something I was curious about and also a Slick which I never tried before. Hyped to try it out this weekend.

Looks great. Cool grip job

How'd you do that?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27352 on: March 03, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »

Bones Easy Streets 53’s
Bones Swiss
Bronze Hardware
Mob Grip

Griptape and sticker job on point, I got an almost new Girl 8.25 lined up to skate next too. Last Girl deck I has was in the mid 2000s, a Paul Rodriguez 7.5" just around the time Yeah Right came out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27353 on: March 03, 2021, 06:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Features:

Width - 8.0"
Length - 31.875"
Wheelbase - 14.25"

[close]
I never go off the online specs. They’re very rarely 100% accurate. With a tape measure in hand it measures out to 32” even and 14” even. Baker Boys boards tend to be too flat for me usually

Nice long nose and tail then!

I often think with so many different shapes and sizes, if sometimes there are mistakes in production that actually make a board the perfect size / shape but then unless you get a few of them, they might never seem to be available again.

Had that a few times over the years and once I found out, tried to track down any and all of those particular boards from where ever I could get them, which has served me well, especially with everything going to short wheelbase more recently and I am more keen on wider boards with 14.5+ for my wheelbases.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
« Reply #27354 on: March 03, 2021, 06:36:58 PM »

Gx1000 8.12
Venture lite 5.6
54mm bop shops
Minilogo bearings

Kind of a plain setup but I really like how it looks for some reason.  Got a good feeling about it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #27355 on: March 03, 2021, 11:31:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bones Easy Streets 53’s
Bones Swiss
Bronze Hardware
Mob Grip

[close]

Looks great. Cool grip job

How'd you do that?
[close]

Griptape and sticker job on point, I got an almost new Girl 8.25 lined up to skate next too. Last Girl deck I has was in the mid 2000s, a Paul Rodriguez 7.5" just around the time Yeah Right came out.

Thanks guys!
For the griptape I just drew that zigzag with a ruler on the griptape paper before peeling it. Cut with a scissor and then when glueing I moved it a few mm to create the offset line. I usually just do either a straight line or a random wobbly line, but here I thought the zig-zag matched the graphic quite well...  ;D

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27356 on: March 03, 2021, 11:53:07 PM »

Bones Easy Streets 53’s
Bones Swiss
Bronze Hardware
Mob Grip

Was super hyped on this board when I was skating it. Couldn't get use to the 14" WB. Hope it treats you well tho!
The chillest1

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #27357 on: March 04, 2021, 04:58:01 AM »
Son of a bitch now everyone is going to think I copied @Sk.A.T.A.N...

Scumco Evan Smith guest model 8.25
Indy 149 titties
53mm Spitfire Evan Smith F4 conical (non full) 99a
Bones big balls
Bop Shop grip
Bop Shop 1" allen hardware

This thing is FLAT. Flatter than toy machine mellow mold, flatter than PGI 8.25, flatter than real low pro, it's even flatter than DOA flat as fuck. It might actually be the mellowest deck that I own which I'm super excited about. Quick spec rundown -

8.25" x 31.6ish" 14.25" wb
6.5" tail 7.0“ nose

Full shape and those wonderful wide rounded square PS kicks. The angle of both kicks looks to be almost the same, so I guess it's sort of a twin tail in that respect (but not length). I'm thinking this thing is going to be super snappy and easy to pop and catch while the wider kicks will still allow a strong flick. This is why I got so excited about new PS scumcos being released. They already had some of my favorite steeper boards (8.25 team and 8.37 Beall from the broadcast series + the logo board I posted a little while ago) and if this ends up skating the way I think it will they might also have one of my favorite mellow ones.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #27358 on: March 04, 2021, 05:45:10 AM »

Your board gripping has improved drastically since i've seen the first of your +/- 155 board setups in the last 2 years BFRD. Your best one yet :)

Shape looks good, enjoy.

The grip job I got a bunch of shit for was done with safety scissors, an ancient scalpel that had the tip broken off, and grip scraps because I didn't have anything else on hand at the time. It would have probably turned out better if I had flint-knapped a blade from some rocks I found outside. After a few minutes I just gave up trying to get anything resembling a clean cut and was more or less ripped the grip. I was definitely out of practice but, despite how it turned it out, it wasn't my first time gripping a board or anything. I did make it a point to order a 100 pack of square blades after that though. Coincidentally, I just sent that board to a SLAP pal yesterday.

Those wheels look sick. They look wider than Spitfire conical fulls. Making me want to step it up to 54s on my next setup

Actually they're basically identical to conical fulls in terms of width and contact patch. Portland Wheel/Jivaro are creative urethane (as are like 80% of the wheels on the market) and I think those ones are the same mold as Dialtones.

If you want something that IS wider than a conical full NFG/Loophole's V Shape is probably the widest hard wheel I've ever skated. With some trucks/bearings I have to remove the speed rings just to get the nut secure. I think they only come in 54mm and 56mm, I'd recommend the 54 just because the 56 are like monster truck tires if you're coming from skating classics or something like that. The square shape is really good too and their formula is unique, it's really hard and starts out very slick until you wear the gloss off and then it gets a really nice grip/slide balance. They handle rough ground and hold speed better than any other >101a wheel I've tried. They also recently started doing a 95a crust formula which is awesome... It actually slides which is something that other 95a wheels I've tried really struggle with. The 95a squares have become my go-to winter setup wheel.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27359 on: March 04, 2021, 06:10:07 AM »

Gx1000 8.12
Venture lite 5.6
54mm bop shops
Minilogo bearings

Kind of a plain setup but I really like how it looks for some reason.  Got a good feeling about it.

Very fresh. Super fresh.

Edit: what's up with the wheels? How are they and who pours them?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:22:51 AM by FrozenIndustries »