Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786314 times)

z_tx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27690 on: April 04, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Alien Workshop 8.25 x 31.7 14"Wheelbase
Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Spitfire 52mm Radial Slims 101a
[close]

Beautiful
[close]

The dimensions sound pretty perfect. Never seen that size before from AWS. Are the measurements accurate?

Yes. Measurements are on point. I was stoked when they dropped this because AWS 8.25's are usually 32.25 long with 14.25WB. They haven't dropped one with these specs in a few years

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #27691 on: April 04, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Alien Workshop 8.25 x 31.7 14"Wheelbase
Venture 5.6 V-Hollow
Spitfire 52mm Radial Slims 101a
[close]

Beautiful
[close]

The dimensions sound pretty perfect. Never seen that size before from AWS. Are the measurements accurate?
[close]

Yes. Measurements are on point. I was stoked when they dropped this because AWS 8.25's are usually 32.25 long with 14.25WB. They haven't dropped one with these specs in a few years
Yeah I had to buy the same board online when I saw the size. Haven't tried a 14" wheelbase yet and have been wanting to. This board looks sick and I can't wait to try it myself.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #27692 on: April 05, 2021, 05:36:57 AM »
set up a new one yesterday

Krooked Manderson 8.38
Thunder 149 w/ Bones Medium Bushings
Spitfire F4 Classics 54 mm 99 d
Bones Super Reds
Mob Grip

I had those wooden Real risers on my last board but I took them off to see if the difference is for better or worse and I can't decide.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #27693 on: April 05, 2021, 11:45:12 AM »

back on the blanks.  same old shit

Prime blank 8.25
52mm F4 tablets
Quantum Atoms
Ace 44s

wearing through the Aces pretty quick since i learned proper fs slappys; eager to try the new AF1s
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #27694 on: April 05, 2021, 02:13:10 PM »

Prime blank 8.25
52mm F4 tablets
Quantum Atoms
Ace 44s

wearing through the Aces pretty quick since i learned proper fs slappys; eager to try the new AF1s

Looks nice.
Wb?

Fhk

« Reply #27695 on: April 05, 2021, 03:00:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Prime blank 8.25
52mm F4 tablets
Quantum Atoms
Ace 44s

[close]

Looks nice.
Wb?
Sticker job on point..I take it you're liking the Prime wood? I should really start trying blanks because I can't seem to find a size/shape I can stick with and pro prices are getting scary.

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #27696 on: April 05, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »

Set up a new deck towards the end of the sesh last night

Although it’s the same width as my last deck in this shape it appears to be 31.5 long and not 31.7 but I’m sure it will work

Roger 8.25 tugboat
Venture 5.6 ti axle cast plates with riptides
52 spitfire f4 classics
Bones Swiss six
what kind of concave do Roger boards typically have?

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #27697 on: April 05, 2021, 03:36:57 PM »
So yeah, I am running a couple of setups and have some gear on standby. I dont really love the consumerism BUT I am working to find that goldilocks setup for me for skating my mini and learning on it...the primary problem being that I am a big ass dude and I am learning to control speed, and bringing down wheel size seems to help, also I need the board to be slightly more nimble, so I am down to a 14.5 WB...so without further adieu....and with much Shalom to @Freelancevagrant here's the Jake the Snake I just picked up.

Black Label 9" Jake Reuter dipped egg
Ace Classic 55s
52mm SML team wheels
Bronson G3s
1" hardware (UGH. I DIDNT HAVE ANY 7/8 THE MADNESS IS KILLING ME)
Mob
ok thanks

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #27698 on: April 05, 2021, 03:44:38 PM »
So yeah, I am running a couple of setups and have some gear on standby. I dont really love the consumerism BUT I am working to find that goldilocks setup for me for skating my mini and learning on it...the primary problem being that I am a big ass dude and I am learning to control speed, and bringing down wheel size seems to help, also I need the board to be slightly more nimble, so I am down to a 14.5 WB...so without further adieu....and with much Shalom to @Freelancevagrant here's the Jake the Snake I just picked up.

Ace Classic 55s
52mm SML team wheels
Bronson G3s
Mob

That's so nice
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #27699 on: April 05, 2021, 03:50:00 PM »

Ace Classic 55s
52mm SML team wheels
Bronson G3s
Mob

YA LOVE TO SEE IT!!

Absolutely fucking gorgeous, my dude!
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #27700 on: April 05, 2021, 04:18:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Prime blank 8.25
52mm F4 tablets
Quantum Atoms
Ace 44s

[close]

Looks nice.
Wb?
[close]
Sticker job on point..I take it you're liking the Prime wood? I should really start trying blanks because I can't seem to find a size/shape I can stick with and pro prices are getting scary.

yeah i think this might be my 5th one.  the wood feels really good to me.  i usually make them last about a month; they might start feeling a little flexy at around 3 weeks.  If I could get this same exact board consistently from a legit brand I like, i'd definitely rather support that if I could, but I've had such bad luck the past year with "core" brands that this is just less of a headache.  not positive, but I think the wheelbase is probably 14.25
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #27701 on: April 05, 2021, 05:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace Classic 55s
52mm SML team wheels
Bronson G3s
Mob
[close]

YA LOVE TO SEE IT!!

Absolutely fucking gorgeous, my dude!

Thanks my dude for pushing me into it! Got it on the mini today and it was great! popped a few ollies and attempted a few flip tricks on the flat bottom and that all felt good too. Looking forward to skating it more!!
ok thanks

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #27702 on: April 06, 2021, 02:53:52 AM »
Expand Quote

8.38 Chapman Blank (14.25 wb) spray painted some racing stripes because I didn’t like the plain dookie brown
Indy 149 w/ Krux kingpin, Khiro bottoms, Krux top bushings
OJ elite 99a 54mm, hardline cut
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Indy 7/8 Allen
[close]

Is this real chapman wood? I thought I read someone say that they actually use control mfg for their blanks. I tried contacting them about it (plus dimensions) in the past, but just got crickets ::).

Did you tell them you had a hungry pet lizard or something?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #27703 on: April 06, 2021, 06:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote

Although it’s the same width as my last deck in this shape it appears to be 31.5 long and not 31.7 but I’m sure it will work

Roger 8.25 tugboat
52 spitfire f4 classics
Bones Swiss six
[close]
I would say relatively mellow, deff not flat but more mellow than the last few real decks I’ve had. I can send you a photo next time I skate.

Also not sure if this shape is more mellow than the more popsicle shape but I have a popsicle in my basement I can compare to in the morning

lydius

• Rep: 40
« Reply #27704 on: April 07, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Roger 8.25 tugboat
52 spitfire f4 classics
Bones Swiss six
[close]
[close]
I would say relatively mellow, deff not flat but more mellow than the last few real decks I’ve had. I can send you a photo next time I skate.

Also not sure if this shape is more mellow than the more popsicle shape but I have a popsicle in my basement I can compare to in the morning
good to know, thanks. there's one i'm looking at that has nice dimensions, 8.38 x 32.25 x 14.25 . But I've been skating only Toy and Foundation for the last year or two so I really need flat boards.

also long shot, but has anyone skated an Element recently. they also have a few decent looking 8.3 and 8.38 shapes.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #27705 on: April 07, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.38 Chapman Blank (14.25 wb) spray painted some racing stripes because I didn’t like the plain dookie brown
Indy 149 w/ Krux kingpin, Khiro bottoms, Krux top bushings
OJ elite 99a 54mm, hardline cut
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Indy 7/8 Allen
[close]

Is this real chapman wood? I thought I read someone say that they actually use control mfg for their blanks. I tried contacting them about it (plus dimensions) in the past, but just got crickets ::).
[close]

Did you tell them you had a hungry pet lizard or something?

https://img.17qq.com/images/mhnsfsnmmny.jpeg

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27706 on: April 07, 2021, 01:54:04 PM »
X-post from the egg thread. This is definitely the flattest BBS board I have ever skated.

Girmple Gerwer 8.75" (8.5"-ish over the trucks)
Ace 44, 3 washers inside each wheel, Indy risers
Spitfire 97a Conical Full 56mm
Reds/Jessup/Habitat 1" allen

Maiden voyage of this setup and I am very psyched. I was worried it would feel too small, but it doesn't. The nose feels substantial than on my cruiser and slappy crooks and noseslides go. The wheels are my new favorites, too.

Fhk

« Reply #27707 on: April 07, 2021, 03:17:52 PM »

Finally got to give this a better try today.. I caught a few tricks high enough that my wife noticed. Such a weird setup but I guess it works.
FA 8.5
Venture 6.1
Bones Swiss
Bones 54
Jessup

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #27708 on: April 07, 2021, 04:04:38 PM »
Expand Quote

Roger 8.25 tugboat
52 spitfire f4 classics
Bones Swiss six
[close]

Not the OP, but I've skated a few Rogers and they've all fallen squarely into the "medium" category IMO
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #27709 on: April 07, 2021, 04:07:08 PM »

Finally got to give this a better try today.. I caught a few tricks high enough that my wife noticed. Such a weird setup but I guess it works.
FA 8.5
Venture 6.1
Bones Swiss
Bones 54
Jessup

How do the 6.1s feel? I've run indy 159s on that same shape and it felt really nice. Did it feel like this flipped better?

Fhk

« Reply #27710 on: April 07, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote

FA 8.5
Venture 6.1
Bones Swiss
Bones 54
Jessup
[close]

How do the 6.1s feel? I've run indy 159s on that same shape and it felt really nice. Did it feel like this flipped better?
I loved it which is odd because I tried 5.6s on it real quick this Winter and I was all fucked up. I only did regular kickflips and heelflips and they felt great. I didn't 360 flip or do any scoopy shit today but I hope they will be ok

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #27711 on: April 07, 2021, 05:47:41 PM »
X-post from the egg thread. This is definitely the flattest BBS board I have ever skated.

Expand Quote

Girmple Gerwer 8.75" (8.5"-ish over the trucks)
Ace 44, 3 washers inside each wheel, Indy risers
Spitfire 97a Conical Full 56mm
Reds/Jessup/Habitat 1" allen

Maiden voyage of this setup and I am very psyched. I was worried it would feel too small, but it doesn't. The nose feels substantial than on my cruiser and slappy crooks and noseslides go. The wheels are my new favorites, too.
[close]

This board looks good!

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #27712 on: April 07, 2021, 07:17:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm jealous of that grimple board. I don't think my body is made for ace trucks tho. BA riding em gives me hope tho
The chillest1

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #27713 on: April 08, 2021, 06:02:16 AM »
Yeah, I'm jealous of that grimple board. I don't think my body is made for ace trucks tho. BA riding em gives me hope tho

Any consolation I'm 6'3" and wear a 10.5-11.5 depending on the brand. I have come to prefer the short WB, but I also mostly skate curbs these days.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #27714 on: April 08, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

sorry for the weird photo, i had to take it off my instagram story because i already skated that board
alien 8.25 x 32.25 14.25, BIG ass nose, feels kinda weird, like a hockey board
old ace 44s
dialtone jahmal conicals 54 99
pig bolts
spitfire bearings
jessup grip
powell rail

the wheels are kinda funny too, they feel very good but the bearings keep popping out of some of them, it doesn’t affect the skating or the speed but that never happened to me with any other wheels
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 02:01:48 PM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #27715 on: April 08, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
Was kinda over the hockey board and then took a chunk out of the nose, so I set up a Dane 1. It's my first time on a wheelbase this short and I can already tell it's gonna feel pretty crazy.

Dane 1
Jessup Ultra
ace 55
conical fulls 99a 56mm
quantum atoms
bronze

Has anyone else who's used jessup ultra had issues with the backing sheet tearing while you were trying to peel it?

That board is sick. The short WB makes for some quick cuts with loose trucks. Seeing this had me looking for another.

Like the no grip nose too. Easy on the hands.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #27716 on: April 08, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
No grip on the nose of such a short deck could be tricky. I have had issues with my Dane (short Decks on general) to not have enough space to Ollie high. Loved the Dane1 anyways though, really nice setup

PMA

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #27717 on: April 09, 2021, 04:44:41 AM »

Kinda close to a christmas complete.
Real 8.3 TT Slick
Thunder 149 team editions with ace low bushings
Spitfire 54mm conical fulls
Quantum bearing Isotopes

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #27718 on: April 09, 2021, 06:45:15 AM »
Thats a cool board...im almost finished with mine now...but im on thunder 148’s and 53mm classics

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #27719 on: April 09, 2021, 06:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Was kinda over the hockey board and then took a chunk out of the nose, so I set up a Dane 1. It's my first time on a wheelbase this short and I can already tell it's gonna feel pretty crazy.

Dane 1
Jessup Ultra
ace 55
conical fulls 99a 56mm
quantum atoms
bronze

Has anyone else who's used jessup ultra had issues with the backing sheet tearing while you were trying to peel it?
[close]

That board is sick. The short WB makes for some quick cuts with loose trucks. Seeing this had me looking for another.

Like the no grip nose too. Easy on the hands.

No grip on the nose of such a short deck could be tricky. I have had issues with my Dane (short Decks on general) to not have enough space to Ollie high. Loved the Dane1 anyways though, really nice setup

Thanks lads. It has been tough adjusting to the Dane 1; coming from the hockey with no tail and a massive nose, to this with a massive tail and no nose has completely fucked up my tricks, but damn does it feel good just cruising around. Shuv tricks are just effortless on it too.