Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4810203 times)

Curbfiend and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #27900 on: April 26, 2021, 11:39:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That looks so nice.  Kinda want to get that whole tarot series for the wall
[close]

Yeah only had 30 minutes or so on it, but it's a lovely deck. It was between that and the new quasi ply deck, but i always find ps stix start off amazing and then feel weird pretty quick.

Think killing floor is bbs based on markings and sticker, is that right? Feels similar to my old AH Eagle.
[close]

Yeah The Killing Floor is BBS. Want to get one too soon.
[close]
Backing TKF boards
Good wood/shapes, and some dope graphics too!
On my 3rd in a row.

What size are you riding and do you have the dimensions?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #27901 on: April 27, 2021, 12:29:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah only had 30 minutes or so on it, but it's a lovely deck. It was between that and the new quasi ply deck, but i always find ps stix start off amazing and then feel weird pretty quick.

Think killing floor is bbs based on markings and sticker, is that right? Feels similar to my old AH Eagle.
[close]

[close]
Backing TKF boards
On my 3rd in a row.
[close]

I've also skated a lot of tkf boards and have currently settled on the 8.38 shape (which I'm pretty sure is the exact same as the sci-fi fantasy 8.38 shape and also maybe the theories one and a few other brands that use bbs).

8.38 is 14.38 wb, about 32.1 length.
8.25 is 14.25 wb, about 32 length.
8.5 is 14.5 wb, about 32.25 length I think.

Have skated all three of these shapes multiple times and they're all great.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #27902 on: April 27, 2021, 01:23:16 AM »

This is my main set up.

8.6 House of Vista shop deck
Indy 159 Thrasher Hollow trucks w/ kreper kingpin replacement
Bronson bearings
56mm OJ mini combo shape wheels
Black rad railz
Randoms Heddings pentagram hardware

Yes i got all the goofy gimmicks that i thought were cool in 2004

nevrwasben

« Reply #27903 on: April 27, 2021, 06:50:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Backing TKF boards
On my 3rd in a row.
[close]

[close]

I've also skated a lot of tkf boards and have currently settled on the 8.38 shape (which I'm pretty sure is the exact same as the sci-fi fantasy 8.38 shape and also maybe the theories one and a few other brands that use bbs).

8.38 is 14.38 wb, about 32.1 length.
8.25 is 14.25 wb, about 32 length.
8.5 is 14.5 wb, about 32.25 length I think.

Have skated all three of these shapes multiple times and they're all great.

I ride their 8.6 & 8.75, 14.5 wb; not sure about s a ny other dims. Sorry

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #27904 on: April 27, 2021, 08:11:56 PM »

This is my main set up.

Bronson bearings
Black rad railz

I used to run randoms for a few years back then. I thought they were so ill haha

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27905 on: April 27, 2021, 08:32:36 PM »

Polar 8.75x14.38x32.375
Indy 169 cast hollow
F4 54mm 97a
Isotopes
Bender 1" allen
Jessup

Closest I've had to a Christmas complete in a really long time.
whats the shape like? I’ve found one really cheap and I like the graphic, is it squarish?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #27906 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:57 PM »
Similar here, as new as iv’e had it in a long time.

Polar 9”
55s
1/8 hard risers
58mm f4 conical full (52ish)
Jessup
Shorty’s hardware
Old ass ceramics

PMA

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
« Reply #27907 on: April 27, 2021, 09:38:36 PM »
Expand Quote

This is my main set up.

Bronson bearings
Black rad railz

[close]

I used to run randoms for a few years back then. I thought they were so ill haha

I hoarded a bunch a few years ago and I'm very thankful that i did because they're impossible to find now

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27908 on: April 27, 2021, 10:38:57 PM »
Similar here, as new as iv’e had it in a long time.

Polar 9”
55s
1/8 hard risers
58mm f4 conical full (52ish)
Jessup
Shorty’s hardware
Old ass ceramics

+1 for the effort to cut out around the top graphic.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #27909 on: April 29, 2021, 06:39:10 AM »
Pretty close to a Christmas complete.

Killing floor - 8.38
Independent 149 first roll around on these (just switched from thunders) - came without the crosses
SML montano 53mm.
Crockett high or era pro. Another pair of Rowans on the way as loved that shoe.

No idea how to upload a pic so it might be huge (sorry!)

This is so good. I almost got this same deck, but I decided I wanted to go down to the 8.1 range and work on flip tricks more. Hope it skates well!

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #27910 on: April 29, 2021, 07:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Killing floor - 8.38
Independent 149 first roll around on these (just switched from thunders) - came without the crosses
SML montano 53mm.

[close]

This is so good. I almost got this same deck, but I decided I wanted to go down to the 8.1 range and work on flip tricks more. Hope it skates well!

Skates so well. Glad I picked it over the quasi (who i also love but just find the decks feel weird quickly - for me anyway). It just feels familiar with a slightly shorter wb which is even nicer.

The crocketts still need breaking in though. Normally skate the classic pros and these almost feel like skating in timbs right now! Did anybody else find they had a longer than normal (for vans) break in time?

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #27911 on: April 29, 2021, 08:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Polar 8.38
Thunder 149 team edition with 97DU aftermarket thunder bushings
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 101 54mm
Olympia silver grade bearings
Shake Junt 7/8 allens
Mob
[close]
That looks perfect! I probably should be on something just like it, but I insist on creating setups to make my session harder than it has to be.

S  O   S   Help
[close]
I recently just disassembled my quiver and put everything in my closet so I don't have to look at it. It will all get used but I'm just gonna treat the closet like a skateshop and only go when I need to replace something.

Covid got me buying gear just to try and I kinda miss having old gear again instead of swapping something the second I get the itch to have a fresher version of something.

I swear I did the exact same thing last week ;D I had 3 completes stacked on top of each other and I just couldn't bear to look at it anymore. Disassembled all and set up a new middle of the road complete for the ages. Now got 3 extra sets of wheels, 3 extra sets of trucks (Indys all in different sizes and Ace), 1 toothpick complete with Thunders for flatground, 1 extra set of Swiss 6 and an extra deck in stock. Good call on the skate shop analogy. I'm good on trucks and wheels for a long time.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27912 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Untitled by , on Flickr

Untitled by , on Flickr

Polar 8.38
Thunder 149 team edition with 97DU aftermarket thunder bushings
Spitfire F4 Conical Full 101 54mm
Olympia silver grade bearings
Shake Junt 7/8 allens
Mob
[close]
That looks perfect! I probably should be on something just like it, but I insist on creating setups to make my session harder than it has to be.

S  O   S   Help
[close]
I recently just disassembled my quiver and put everything in my closet so I don't have to look at it. It will all get used but I'm just gonna treat the closet like a skateshop and only go when I need to replace something.

Covid got me buying gear just to try and I kinda miss having old gear again instead of swapping something the second I get the itch to have a fresher version of something.
[close]

I swear I did the exact same thing last week ;D I had 3 completes stacked on top of each other and I just couldn't bear to look at it anymore. Disassembled all and set up a new middle of the road complete for the ages. Now got 3 extra sets of wheels, 3 extra sets of trucks (Indys all in different sizes and Ace), 1 toothpick complete with Thunders for flatground, 1 extra set of Swiss 6 and an extra deck in stock. Good call on the skate shop analogy. I'm good on trucks and wheels for a long time.
Seriously. I took a look around at my gear one day and it felt like this:

I can still see myself getting decks on ice but that doesn't freak me out as much cause i go through them pretty fast. But the amount of wheels and trucks I have give me anxiety.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #27913 on: April 29, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Killing floor - 8.38
SML montano 53mm.

[close]

[close]

Skates so well. Glad I picked it over the quasi (who i also love but just find the decks feel weird quickly - for me anyway). It just feels familiar with a slightly shorter wb which is even nicer.

The crocketts still need breaking in though. Normally skate the classic pros and these almost feel like skating in timbs right now! Did anybody else find they had a longer than normal (for vans) break in time?

I never skated the Crocketts, but I did have a pair of the Kyle Walker 1s, which have the same outsole (cup-ish). They never really broke in to the point of them feeling like the vulc vans, but after a bit I got used to them, and they provided some good support imo. They are a lot stiffer though, but you get used to it at some point.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #27914 on: April 29, 2021, 10:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Killing floor - 8.38
SML montano 53mm.

[close]

[close]

[close]

I never skated the Crocketts, but I did have a pair of the Kyle Walker 1s, which have the same outsole (cup-ish). They never really broke in to the point of them feeling like the vulc vans, but after a bit I got used to them, and they provided some good support imo. They are a lot stiffer though, but you get used to it at some point.

I’m skating a pair right now and yeah, they definitely take longer to break in. At this point they’re broken in, comfortable, but still nowhere near vulc softness. I had been looking to protect my ankles and get some more padding underfoot after decades of skating vans vulcs, and I’d say they do the job really well.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27915 on: April 29, 2021, 10:37:20 AM »

Promade 8.25 x 32.1 x 14.125 - Steep kicks and concave, first session is usually rough until it mellows out. Was popping uncontrollably high for my tricks, steep concave definitely help with flips.
Venture 5.6 TI with Cast Plates - 2nd board with this pair of trucks, trying to keep to just 1 brand and maybe switching between cast and forged pates
Spitfire Radial Slims 99a 52mm - worn down by 1mm, definitely my favorite wheel shape, flat enough on the sides without feeling chunky
Blank 5-ball Ceramic bearings
Assorted hardware
Jessup

3rd Promade board I've ridden so I know session 1 & 2 are going to be tough. Wanted to get the grip worn in a little bit before I swapped out to new shoes. New shoes + griptape is a death sentence.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Argyle

« Reply #27916 on: April 29, 2021, 10:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Killing floor - 8.38
SML montano 53mm.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m skating a pair right now and yeah, they definitely take longer to break in. At this point they’re broken in, comfortable, but still nowhere near vulc softness. I had been looking to protect my ankles and get some more padding underfoot after decades of skating vans vulcs, and I’d say they do the job really well.

Thanks both. Definitely doing the job and really comfortable. Just very different after riding vans pros for so long. Actually feel pretty different to the old crockett 2 i had with the ultracush insole which surprised me. I'll keep breaking them in!

Fhk

« Reply #27917 on: April 29, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar 8.75x14.38x32.375
Indy 169 cast hollow
F4 54mm 97a
Isotopes
Bender 1" allen
Jessup

[close]
whats the shape like? I’ve found one really cheap and I like the graphic, is it squarish?
They are not squarish..and not pointy, but it is a very easy shape to get along with.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #27918 on: April 29, 2021, 06:29:30 PM »
Element 8.5
Indy 149
Spit 60mm
Modus 1/8 riser
Bronson ceramics

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27919 on: April 29, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Killing floor - 8.38
SML montano 53mm.

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks both. Definitely doing the job and really comfortable. Just very different after riding vans pros for so long. Actually feel pretty different to the old crockett 2 i had with the ultracush insole which surprised me. I'll keep breaking them in!
what’s the wheelbase on that KF? Looks so nice!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #27920 on: April 30, 2021, 06:36:09 AM »
what’s the wheelbase on that KF? Looks so nice!!!
from skatedeluxe: width: 8.375"
length: 32"
wheelbase: 14.375"
nose: 6.8"
tail: 6.55"

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #27921 on: April 30, 2021, 06:44:49 AM »
CROSS-POST FROM THE BIG BOARD THREAD

Birthday Complete

Polar Dane1 (9.75 x 31.375 w/ 14.125 wheelbase)
Ace Trucks Classic 55
Spitfire John Cardiel F4 Deep Cuts Tablet Wheels 55MM
Jessup
Bones Reds
Random hardware

first thoughts... I love this board. super fun, my first time with Aces and I really enjoy them. However my back truck fell off and I need to go to the shop to get a new kingpin nut. that sucks. besides that, love love love this board.

scrub74

• Rep: 22
« Reply #27922 on: April 30, 2021, 07:10:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 8.75x14.38x32.375
Indy 169 cast hollow
F4 54mm 97a
Isotopes
Bender 1" allen
Jessup

[close]
[close]
They are not squarish..and not pointy, but it is a very easy shape to get along with.

I haven't had ridden it much yet since the weather hasn't cooperated but I think it has a full nose (frontside nose slides are one of my faves and it works great) and a more pointy tail.  I like it!

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #27923 on: April 30, 2021, 12:23:50 PM »
Madness 8.5 x 32 with a 14.5wb
Ace af1 55s
Spitifre F4 classics 54mm
Pig rail
Jessup
Chuck 70s

On a bit of a budget so I picked up the madness but it skates suprsingly well and has pretty decent pop.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #27924 on: April 30, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »

antihero 8.38 (#3 in the stack)
ace af1 55
spits f4 og classic 55mm 99a
swiss
jessup
vans rowan

very stoked to try something smaller than 8.5 again

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #27925 on: April 30, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »
I pretty much completely hate myself, my weight, my body image issues, etc. so I figured I'd get a skateboard dedicated to it.

Into the Wild 9" tapering shape w/ Pontus Alv art.
Gold 55 Ace AF1s
56mm 99a Slime Ball Guts
Bronson G3s
Ace 7/8" Allen
Mob w/ a clear window for the top sheet.

ok thanks

antarctica

• Rep: 21
  • why
« Reply #27926 on: April 30, 2021, 07:06:41 PM »
I pretty much completely hate myself, my weight, my body image issues, etc. so I figured I'd get a skateboard dedicated to it.

Gold 55 Ace AF1s
56mm 99a Slime Ball Guts
Bronson G3s
Ace 7/8" Allen

That shape looks so damn fun

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27927 on: April 30, 2021, 07:57:11 PM »

Gold 55 Ace AF1s
56mm 99a Slime Ball Guts
Bronson G3s
Ace 7/8" Allen

Not a fan of colored trucks but those gold ones look tiiiighhtttt
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

RegularJames

• Rep: -1
« Reply #27928 on: April 30, 2021, 08:14:55 PM »
8.25 Polar Oskar Faces board
144 Indy's
56in 88A OJ Keyframes
Bones Swiss bearings

Just been cruising though, to be honest.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27929 on: April 30, 2021, 09:15:55 PM »

antihero 8.38 (#3 in the stack)
ace af1 55
spits f4 og classic 55mm 99a
swiss
jessup
vans rowan

very stoked to try something smaller than 8.5 again

That's my favourite at the moment (almost the same setup too), but I actually like it because it is almost 8.5 or even bigger than a couple of other boards marked as 8.5s I have.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.