Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786115 times)

lilboosie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 226
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #29730 on: December 02, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
@CannerSpaghetti aha im actually not. i had to make some stuff with the design and colors. but i would be lying if i didnt think the colors and design were cute. had the materials so i decided to try it out.

@yourbreakfsat and @off - the paint i used for this is cerakote. powder coat works you just have to be mindful of the axles and kingpin and tape em off and remove it for cooking. powder coat is kind of a pain with stencils. i used vinyl stencils for the leaves. first coat green for both hangar and truck. then apply stencils, give the hangars a blue layer. cook it for a bit. PRAY. take the stencils off and finish cooking.

my next idea is is i want to use a powder coat base so that the stencil design has a glossy finish and sticks out

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29731 on: December 02, 2021, 12:02:17 PM »
@CannerSpaghetti aha im actually not. i had to make some stuff with the design and colors. but i would be lying if i didnt think the colors and design were cute. had the materials so i decided to try it out.

@yourbreakfsat and @off - the paint i used for this is cerakote. powder coat works you just have to be mindful of the axles and kingpin and tape em off and remove it for cooking. powder coat is kind of a pain with stencils. i used vinyl stencils for the leaves. first coat green for both hangar and truck. then apply stencils, give the hangars a blue layer. cook it for a bit. PRAY. take the stencils off and finish cooking.

my next idea is is i want to use a powder coat base so that the stencil design has a glossy finish and sticks out
did you bother with degreasing and sandblasting? seems like a lot of steps if youre using it for guns, not so sure you have to do all that for trucks
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #29732 on: December 02, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »
I’m currently on 8 with 7.75 thunders and 53 mm spitfires.

Thinking about setting up a curb board and just going all out with it. I think I wanna try some other trucks, might go complete opposite and get some aces. Anyone got advice on curb setups?

lilboosie

• Rep: 226
« Reply #29733 on: December 02, 2021, 12:41:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
did you bother with degreasing and sandblasting? seems like a lot of steps if youre using it for guns, not so sure you have to do all that for trucks

oh yea with guns you want do that cause there is a lot of moving parts. but the paint is thin enough that if youre good, you could probably get away with it for guns.

i didnt sand blast the af1s which are decently polished. tbh i didnt care too much because it was a test and its trucks that will grind either way. but i was surprised with how it came out without sand blasting. as you can see i didnt even bother with covering the axle or kingpin. for the next project whatever i do will have a glittery base so in this case the leaves would be glitter. honestly im going to leave the axles as is because its easy to sand paper off the paint from the axles. getting tape to stay put while cooking isnt. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #29734 on: December 02, 2021, 01:30:45 PM »

Thinking about setting up a curb board and just going all out with it. I think I wanna try some other trucks, might go complete opposite and get some aces. Anyone got advice on curb setups?

You are already ahead of the wave, stick with what you have

FrontsideFrank

• Rep: 101
« Reply #29735 on: December 02, 2021, 02:22:33 PM »

Set up a freshie a little early cuz all the black Friday spends are hitting the porch.

Grimple 9.1" gerwer egg
Film 6.0s
F4 conicals 52/101
Swiss 6s
Single slappy hour swizzle stick
7/8 hardware

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #29736 on: December 02, 2021, 04:19:09 PM »
Hate to be that guy (I love it!), but there is no 7.75 thunder. 7.62 or 8.0.

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #29737 on: December 02, 2021, 05:33:27 PM »

glue leo baker 8.25
5.6 vhollows, bones med flat washer
classic f4 55s worn to about 49
reds

first post  8)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29738 on: December 02, 2021, 06:05:45 PM »

Hate to be that guy (I love it!), but there is no 7.75 thunder. 7.62 or 8.0.

Most likely 145s, or even 147s without washers will look like a 7.75" axle.

Thunder size chart for you...

https://www.thundertrucks.com/sizing/

As for curb setups, there is a slappy / curb thread, but the definition of a curb setup could vary greatly, from 8" to 8.5" up to 9"+ in either popsicle or shaped boards, like the egg thread or the big boards thread (all worth a read if you have the time).

I would say though that bigger or shaped boards are lots of fun as a second setup, or cruiser, as well as easily becoming more fun than smaller boards for some people.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #29739 on: December 02, 2021, 08:00:02 PM »

still got some life on my previous board, but I had all the parts and I want to see if the 5.6s work with an 8.0 or not before I order a set of Lurpivs.

Picture Show 8.0
Venture 5.6
Blind Jason Lee wheels

used board:

Theories 8.0
Venture 5.2, front truck ground to the axle and falling apart
Spit tablets 51 mm
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #29740 on: December 03, 2021, 06:45:12 AM »

glue leo baker 8.25
reds

first post  8)

Great first post. Shape on that Glue looks nice.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29741 on: December 03, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »
Expand Quote

glue leo baker 8.25
reds

first post  8)
[close]

Now I'm curious, shape on the Glue deck? Nose looks pretty tapered like Baker OG Shape
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #29742 on: December 03, 2021, 07:28:26 AM »

thank you  :)

Now I'm curious, shape on the Glue deck? Nose looks pretty tapered like Baker OG Shape

never skated a baker, but the nose and tail are both pretty tapered yeah. both kicks and concave are decently steep, but the shape as a whole feels pretty "standard" after a couple FA/Hockeys in a row.

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #29743 on: December 03, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »

still got some life on my previous board, but I had all the parts and I want to see if the 5.6s work with an 8.0 or not before I order a set of Lurpivs.

Picture Show 8.0
Venture 5.6
Blind Jason Lee wheels

used board:

Theories 8.0
Spit tablets 51 mm

never ventures coming with silver kingpins now?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #29744 on: December 03, 2021, 12:01:28 PM »

quasi proto 8.5

spitfire lock ins 55mm (i just want classics)

rusted swiss bearings

animal crossing ace af1 55

mob     
lots of colors i know

I love your drawings mate. Assuming you draw that, or are that sickers? Keep it fun and silly.
IG: @flowterspace

Fhk

« Reply #29745 on: December 03, 2021, 12:05:20 PM »

Picture Show 8.0
Venture 5.6
Blind Jason Lee wheels

used board:

Theories 8.0
Spit tablets 51 mm
Nice setups! I really like the 5.6 on an 8" deck I have 144s on an 8 tight now and it's just as good.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #29746 on: December 03, 2021, 12:22:55 PM »
Cool, that’s good to hear. 

Got the 5.6s from a Zumiez sale posted in the sale thread, so not sure what’s up with the silver kingpins
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #29747 on: December 03, 2021, 12:38:45 PM »
Severe OCD incoming:

Primary Street - Black Magick
Deck: Element x Timber - Bound - Orbit Eye 8.5x32.25" N: 7.00” T: 6.55” WB: 14.5" + Jessup Ultra
Next Deck: Polar - Shin Sanbongi Mt. Fuji 8.5x32.125" WB: 14.5" N: 7.125" T: 6.75" (BBS) + Jessup Ultra
Trucks: Venture High 5.8 V-Light Polished 8.5” H: 53.5mm W: 359g (Weighed)
Wheels: Mini Logo A-Cut 95a 56mm Width: 32.5mm (black)
Next Wheels: Slime Balls Vomit Mini Double Take 97a 56mm Width: 36mm Contact Patch: 21mm (pink/purple)
Bearings: Bronson Speed Co. G2 (orange) + Bronson spacers
Hardware: Independent 1" Phillips (8 blue)

Love everything about this board except the mismatched blue 1" hardware. Gonna swap it for black 7/8" asap. First time trying Ventures. Probably going to stick with them going forward. Also really enjoying the mini logo wheels. Was just looking for something black to go with the deck and ended up liking the feel (and the price). Got a sick Polar deck lined up next and will probably run it with my purple/pink slimeballs.

Cruiser - Crust Commander
Deck: Quasi - Go To Hell 9x32" WB: 13.6" (PS Stix) + Jessup Ultra
Trucks: Independent Stage 11 159 8.75" H: 55mm W: 364g (Stock) + Krux K5 washers + Independent ⅛" risers (black)
Wheels: Powell Peralta Rat-Bones 90a 60mm (green)
Bearings: Bones Reds (red) + Fireball 10.2mm spacers
Hardware: Independent 1" Phillips (6 black 2 silver)

This is my first Quasi deck. It has small stress cracks developing after putting on the trucks and riding it for 5 minutes...probably will be my last. I use this board to warm up before every session. It's heavy as fuck but pretty fun to carve around on with Indy's and the short wheelbase (I still prefer 14.25-14.5" for street though). I really don't care for the deck graphic much but the shape is kinda cool. The tail is flat as fuck so I skate it backwards. I tried to paint strip the trucks with acetone but it didn't work very well and I just gave up after brushing off the logo on the front of them.

Secondary Street - Whorkrux
Deck: Active - Warp 8.375" + Jessup Ultra
Trucks: Krux K5 Standard Polished 8.5" H: 55mm W: 355g (Stock) 340g (Current) + Bones Hardcore Hard 96a white bushings + Krux Downlow kingpins
Wheels: Spitfire Formula 4 Conical Full 99a 54mm (natural)
Bearings: Bones Big Balls Reds (blue)
Hardware: Independent ⅞" Phillips (6 black 2 silver)

The Active decks (I got 3 for $21 each) surprisingly feel super crispy and thick. Problem is I realized I much prefer 8.5". I also really fucking enjoy the K5's on this board; they grind amazing. I've strongly considered moving them to my primary street board because of how buttery they grind and how nice and light they are. The downlow kingpins are just cherries on top. I've found that I really prefer a softer wheel than 99a. 95-97a is ideal for me.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 01:35:21 PM by MysticalTypeExperience »

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #29748 on: December 03, 2021, 05:03:44 PM »

Quasi Henry 8.25. Story nobody cares about: last April we were in Columbus OH when this deck came out. Embassy sold like a zillion of them and were sold out by the time I got there. Found one online during a sale a week or so ago and here we are.
Venture 5.6. Loving these the last few months I have had them, my first pair in 20+ years.
Tablets, 51mm.
Stoked on this. Yes, I did a crappy grip job, as always.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 04:35:04 AM by FUBAR »

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #29749 on: December 04, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »

Quasi Henry 8.25. Story nobody cares about: last April we were in Columbus OH when this deck came out. Embassy sold like a zillion of them and were sold out by the time I got there. Found one online during a sale a week or so ago and here we are.
Venture 5.6. Loving these the last few months I have had them, my first pair in 20+ years.
Tablets, 51mm.
Stoked on this. Yes, I did a crappy grip job, as always.

So sick. I skated this board with some films and it was one of my favorite set ups.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29750 on: December 04, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
Had that deck with Venture 5.6 and 53s and it was great

vhsfisheye

« Reply #29751 on: December 04, 2021, 11:39:16 AM »

quasi proto 8.5

spitfire lock ins 55mm (i just want classics)

rusted swiss bearings

animal crossing ace af1 55

mob     
lots of colors i know

I thought the animal crossing trucks were just a photoshop. This setup is godly.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29752 on: December 04, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »

How’d you like it with royals?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #29753 on: December 04, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
The Royals were so good and I skated so well that it was no longer a challenge so I had to remove them to feel like I was actually putting forth effort. Now I just look at the Royals and marvel at the engineering and craftsmanship.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #29754 on: December 04, 2021, 01:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How’d you like it with royals?

Lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29755 on: December 04, 2021, 02:03:14 PM »
The Royals were so good and I skated so well that it was no longer a challenge so I had to remove them to feel like I was actually putting forth effort. Now I just look at the Royals and marvel at the engineering and craftsmanship.

I love this answer

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #29756 on: December 05, 2021, 06:48:49 AM »

8.25/14.25 WB Quasi (BBS)
Ace AF-1 44
52MM/99D Spitfires
1” Phillips Shake Junt
Jessup Grip

This is my first complete I’ve setup myself in probably 15 years. I’ve been riding Landyachtz cruisers and longboards for the last few years. I was sweating doing the grip tape lol.

Shout out to This Skate Shop in Fargo, North Dakota!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #29757 on: December 05, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »

Ace AF-1 44
52MM/99D Spitfires
1” Phillips Shake Junt
Jessup Grip

This is my first complete I’ve setup myself in probably 15 years. I’ve been riding Landyachtz cruisers and longboards for the last few years. I was sweating doing the grip tape lol.

Nice grip job bro. When I set my first bloard up after a 20 year hiatus I got a monstrous air bubble which left an ugly scar on the grip. Also are you not all snowed in up in Fargo? (I only know the movie and the series)
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

downtodevin

• Rep: 36
« Reply #29758 on: December 05, 2021, 07:12:34 AM »
Expand Quote

Ace AF-1 44
52MM/99D Spitfires
1” Phillips Shake Junt
Jessup Grip

[close]

Nice grip job bro. When I set my first bloard up after a 20 year hiatus I got a monstrous air bubble which left an ugly scar on the grip. Also are you not all snowed in up in Fargo? (I only know the movie and the series)

Thanks! The air bubbles weren’t the problem it was the cutting out the outline. It’ll do though.

And yes it is currently snowing. I live in Minot which is in the North West side of the state. Luckily there is an indoor area (Astroturf soccer field and empty floor) where you can skate during the winter months. Not perfect but it’s good for a few months of snow.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #29759 on: December 05, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »

First time downsizing. Haven’t been on an 8.25 in about 2 years. The setup feels a lot lighter and I have better pop. Could just be in my head…

8.25 Polar with Wheel wells
149 Indy FH with aftermarket bushings
54 spitfire conical full 99du
Bronze
Mob
Bones big balls

Converse Cons Fastbreaks. Been my go to shoe when I can get them. Wish there were more all suede versions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 07:55:23 AM by Big Baby Jesus »
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus