Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4884593 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 888
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30330 on: February 15, 2022, 06:28:04 PM »

pennswood hydrodip 8.75/31.75/14wb
venture 6.1 hollow w/cast plates
f4 conical full 56mm 97a now sub 50
swiss super 6
bronze
yessir grip

all time favorite shape
switching to forged plates when i get my skate box
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #30331 on: February 15, 2022, 06:39:17 PM »
Those are some sexy dimensions especially on 8.75, and those decks are beautiful.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #30332 on: February 15, 2022, 07:49:15 PM »

pennswood hydrodip 8.75/31.75/14wb
venture 6.1 hollow w/cast plates
f4 conical full 56mm 97a now sub 50
swiss super 6
bronze
yessir grip

all time favorite shape
switching to forged plates when i get my skate box

wow that looks so good, A+ for leaving a landing strip of the top hydrodip

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 312
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30333 on: February 16, 2022, 04:11:32 AM »

Enjoi 8.5/32.2/14.25"
Thunder Lights 151
Bones hards
Spitfire Classics OG 56mm
Bronson G3
Mob

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30334 on: February 16, 2022, 07:15:35 AM »
What is hydro drip exactly? Just a thinner paint dip?

Dan Gerous

« Reply #30335 on: February 16, 2022, 09:11:06 AM »
What is hydro drip exactly? Just a thinner paint dip?

It's thin but it's an entirely different painting technique that allows these warped patterns and all-over textures. The pattern is laid flat on top of water (or solution, no clue if it is actually pure water), then it wraps around whatever you plunge through it.

AFAIK, normal boards we call dipped are usually not physically dipped in paint, it's usually just how they call boards with paint that covers the whole thing, bottom, sides, top, most of the time they're hanged and spray painted.

Hydro dipping process exemple:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:24:02 AM by Dan Gerous »

Justrollingthru

• Rep: 4
« Reply #30336 on: February 16, 2022, 02:30:26 PM »
I'm getting a complete tomorrow. Got everything else figured out except what trucks. I've mostly ridden indys and ventures but now there's so much shit to get into weeds about that I'm not sure

The deck I'm looking at is 8.25 x 31.25 w/ 14.25 wb

Right now I'm torn between venture and Indy mids and kinda aces although I've never tried them.

oliknight

« Reply #30337 on: February 16, 2022, 02:34:01 PM »
I suggest indy 144
I wasn’t a fan of aces at all really, I know people swear by them but they never felt good (I did ride them loose)
I just think 8.25 with 144s is a match made in heaven!

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30338 on: February 16, 2022, 02:48:28 PM »
I suggest indy 144
I wasn’t a fan of aces at all really, I know people swear by them but they never felt good (I did ride them loose)

Word I never had an issue with Indy's.

This is the first board I'm putting together in a few years so I'm out of the loop. I also don't really know about wheel base and shit like that. Does that wheel base sound good for street/tranny basically all terrain?

The deck I'm looking at, I really like it for its shape is kinda egg/90s shaped and I can't find any other 8.25 in that shape.

oliknight

« Reply #30339 on: February 16, 2022, 02:50:32 PM »
They’ve never let me down, I like venture 5.6 too but I think the 144s are just perfect for all rounder, not too squirrely like the aces and not too stiff like the ventures.

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30340 on: February 16, 2022, 02:56:13 PM »
Do you swap bushings in your Indy's?

oliknight

« Reply #30341 on: February 16, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »
I have done in the past to bones mediums but there’s really no need, indy stock bushings are great and they only take a couple of sessions to break in

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #30342 on: February 16, 2022, 04:20:39 PM »
I also think Indy’s is a solid all around truck. Then if you start wanting  a need for something else you can go down that route for truck madness but indy is a solid all purpose jack of all trades type of truck

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #30343 on: February 16, 2022, 08:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hockey 8.5 Barnett #2 shape (as per FA website)
Venture 6.1
Spitfire classic 55mm

For those who wonder about the 8.5 #2 shape, it's nothing like the 8.44 #2 shape which is tapered but still have steep kicks like most other Hockey boards. This board has the exact same shape and steepness as the 8.5 blue Anti Hero eagle board. I know this because I have that board too. So it's basically a DLX (AH, Krooked etc.) 8.5 with the 14.25 WB.

bulk download images from url
[close]
$20 extra for the graphic vs a blue eagle?
i love caleb but you got ripped off
[close]

Yup, kind of how I felt when I got, and that's why I posted this info.
[close]

It would be even more funny if it had a DLX number stamp on top too, as per another brand deck I saw recently.

Not a worry either way, but sometimes I wonder if they didn't have too many of that shape cut, so they used them for other brands too.
Got a Deathwish board a few months back and when I peeled back the warning sticker I saw an “IV” indent in it. Thought that was pretty amusing.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #30344 on: February 16, 2022, 11:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I suggest indy 144
[close]

This is the first board I'm putting together in a few years so I'm out of the loop. I also don't really know about wheel base and shit like that. Does that wheel base sound good for street/tranny basically all terrain?

The deck I'm looking at, I really like it for its shape is kinda egg/90s shaped and I can't find any other 8.25 in that shape.

don't go down that wheelbase truck madness rabbit hole..

Justrollingthru

« Reply #30345 on: February 17, 2022, 12:27:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I suggest indy 144
[close]

[close]

don't go down that wheelbase truck madness rabbit hole..

Haha yeah you're right. Fuck it. It's never been an issue to me as far as I'm aware.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30346 on: February 17, 2022, 02:11:25 AM »
Expand Quote

It would be even more funny if it had a DLX number stamp on top too, as per another brand deck I saw recently.

Not a worry either way, but sometimes I wonder if they didn't have too many of that shape cut, so they used them for other brands too.

[close]

Got a Deathwish board a few months back and when I peeled back the warning sticker I saw an “IV” indent in it. Thought that was pretty amusing.

What size / shape was that one?

Guessing either the 8.38 or the 8.45 with the shorter wheelbase (same as DLX 8.5) as I know those two are the same, but there could easily be others I don't usually see or skate too.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30347 on: February 17, 2022, 08:33:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Guessing either the 8.38 or the 8.45 with the shorter wheelbase (same as DLX 8.5) as I know those two are the same, but there could easily be others I don't usually see or skate too.
It was labeled as 8.475 x 31.875 but the dimensions felt all off. Could have very well been the 8.5 DLX shape.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30348 on: February 17, 2022, 02:53:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
It was labeled as 8.475 x 31.875 but the dimensions felt all off. Could have very well been the 8.5 DLX shape.

I forgot the extra 7 in there, as in 8.475 but yes that is the one.

Had one here and put it over the blue eagle and it is pretty much the same, but still not exactly the same.

Makes sense.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30349 on: February 17, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Had one here and put it over the blue eagle and it is pretty much the same, but still not exactly the same.

Makes sense.
Which is crazy because the baker 8.475 shape is something completely in and of itself. You would expect the Deathwish 8.475 to be similar to the baker one but it’s not at all.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #30350 on: February 17, 2022, 10:13:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Makes sense.
[close]
Which is crazy because the baker 8.475 shape is something completely in and of itself. You would expect the Deathwish 8.475 to be similar to the baker one but it’s not at all.

How are they different? I always thought Baker and Deathwish used the same shapes

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30351 on: February 18, 2022, 01:47:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Makes sense.
[close]
[close]

How are they different? I always thought Baker and Deathwish used the same shapes

Not sure about that one, but the last or second last drop of Deathwish decks seemed to all have more random and different dimensions than anything else in the Bakerboys catalog too.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30352 on: February 18, 2022, 07:36:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Makes sense.
[close]
[close]

The baker one is really pointy and is usually pretty flat. The Deathwish 8.475 has a bit more of a rounder slightly blunted out shape and is a lot more concavey feeling. The Deathwish 8.475 used to feel the same as the baker ones but the past couple years or so they just feel completely different. 

treeebark

• Rep: 10
« Reply #30353 on: February 18, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
First post, been lurking. Really stoked on this setup after 1 session. Love the Passport shape, nearly twin with 14.38 wheelbase.

Passport 8.38
Indy 149 Hollow Standard
Spitfire F4 Classics 55mm (prolly 53-54 now)
Old dry Reds
Random leftover hardware
Jessup

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #30354 on: February 18, 2022, 11:30:24 AM »

Almonte shop deck 8.5
149’s I didn’t know I had with Bones mediums
OJ elite 55/54
Pig rail with some added curve

Sizing down after riding 8.75-9.5 on Ace 55’s for the last few months

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules
« Reply #30355 on: February 18, 2022, 02:09:54 PM »

I tried really hard to like the Enjoi board, but it’s just too flat for me. Hopefully someone else will get better use of it when I leave it at a skatepark this weekend

8.25 Quasi
Thunder 148’s
56mm F4 Conicals
Swiss 6- freshly cleaned and lubed

Tiagos. The first pair of leather shoes I’ll have skated in the past decade(I think)
fuck you bama

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30356 on: February 18, 2022, 02:32:02 PM »

I tried really hard to like the Enjoi board, but it’s just too flat for me. Hopefully someone else will get better use of it when I leave it at a skatepark this weekend

8.25 Quasi
Thunder 148’s
56mm F4 Conicals

Tiagos. The first pair of leather shoes I’ll have skated in the past decade(I think)
Quasi's are the flattest boards I've ever skated. Hopefully it works out for you better than the enjoi tho...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #30357 on: February 18, 2022, 02:33:09 PM »

Almonte shop deck 8.5
149’s I didn’t know I had with Bones mediums
OJ elite 55/54
Pig rail with some added curve

Sizing down after riding 8.75-9.5 on Ace 55’s for the last few months

This is a thing of beauty.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1010
  • the moon rules
« Reply #30358 on: February 18, 2022, 02:48:24 PM »
Expand Quote

8.25 Quasi
Thunder 148’s
56mm F4 Conicals

[close]
Quasi's are the flattest boards I've ever skated. Hopefully it works out for you better than the enjoi tho...
Even mellow concave is a significant improvement for me. You can rest a level perfectly flat across the Enjoi board. It skated perfectly fine for most things, but I never felt like it was “my” board. If that makes any sense
fuck you bama

LebowskisRug

« Reply #30359 on: February 18, 2022, 04:14:15 PM »
The Quasi noses are on the steep side,which throws me off way more than concave.