Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4870414 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2002
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #30570 on: March 14, 2022, 09:39:17 AM »
Been on an 8.5, getting around to sizing down...again...go 8.5...want to size down, go 8.125...want to size up ;) I've found that mellow concave is feeling better these days.

8.25 Baker Hawk
Pepper grip (very fine grit, but grippy af, perforated, I'm a fan)
144 Royals IKP
52mm 99a conical F4s
Bronson ceramics
Bolts

I'm usually a Jessup guy but how does Pepper hold up? Mob feels a little too gritty for me but is popular with locals, my guess is they ride their decks way longer than I do so the extra grit works out over time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Solex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #30571 on: March 14, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »
The weather is terrible these days, let's post a pic...

Chocolate 'Crob' Twin Chunk 8.25
Film 5.25
Classics Full 99a 54
Barely used Mini Logo bearings
3 bucks hardware
Jessup
(Clean towel hiding the dirty tiling)

First time on a 8"+. Skated it about 2 hours, essentialy flatground, noseslided some benches. The wood is good, the twin shape really on point, the trucks feel nice after 2 turns of tightening, and those wheels seem awesome. Happy so far.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #30572 on: March 14, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Been on an 8.5, getting around to sizing down...again...go 8.5...want to size down, go 8.125...want to size up ;) I've found that mellow concave is feeling better these days.

8.25 Baker Hawk
144 Royals IKP
52mm 99a conical F4s
Bronson ceramics
Bolts
[close]

I'm usually a Jessup guy but how does Pepper hold up? Mob feels a little too gritty for me but is popular with locals, my guess is they ride their decks way longer than I do so the extra grit works out over time.

Always been a MOB guy, like the grip and it lasts a long time, it's also good for breaking in new shoes to get your flik, provided you struggle through it; it always wears down to plain old grip after a while and it's always seemed chunkier grit-wise to me.

To the touch, it feels grippier than reg Jessup, but not as chunky as MOB; the grit is 'sharp' compared reg jessup (which always felt 'smooth' to me.

It cut well and it's sticky-icky and I'm so used to mob that I get bubbles without perforation (unless I take my time but fuck that). Durability remains to be seen

manysnakes

« Reply #30573 on: March 14, 2022, 11:25:49 AM »
The weather is terrible these days, let's post a pic...

Chocolate 'Crob' Twin Chunk 8.25
Film 5.25
Classics Full 99a 54
Barely used Mini Logo bearings
3 bucks hardware
Jessup
(Clean towel hiding the dirty tiling)

First time on a 8"+. Skated it about 2 hours, essentialy flatground, noseslided some benches. The wood is good, the twin shape really on point, the trucks feel nice after 2 turns of tightening, and those wheels seem awesome. Happy so far.

Looks like a sticker of a skateboard.

Solex

• Rep: 29
« Reply #30574 on: March 14, 2022, 11:53:04 AM »
Looks like a sticker of a skateboard.
That's an interesting point of view...

The current scraped version looks more 'true', I promise. :D

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
« Reply #30575 on: March 15, 2022, 09:49:42 AM »

Blowing through way too many decks recently but I couldn’t resist:

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #30576 on: March 15, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs

169 titaniums must be the move!i cant imagine the lightness on that board compared to if those were the standard indy truck weight

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30577 on: March 15, 2022, 10:11:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

8.25 Baker Hawk
144 Royals IKP
52mm 99a conical F4s
Bronson ceramics
Bolts
[close]

[close]

Always been a MOB guy, like the grip and it lasts a long time, it's also good for breaking in new shoes to get your flik, provided you struggle through it; it always wears down to plain old grip after a while and it's always seemed chunkier grit-wise to me.

To the touch, it feels grippier than reg Jessup, but not as chunky as MOB; the grit is 'sharp' compared reg jessup (which always felt 'smooth' to me.

It cut well and it's sticky-icky and I'm so used to mob that I get bubbles without perforation (unless I take my time but fuck that). Durability remains to be seen

Worth a shot with the next purchase then.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #30578 on: March 15, 2022, 11:59:31 AM »
Bought this awhile back at clearance price, just to try something a little smaller and different. Set it up a week ago and didn't care for the tiny tail (6.375). Chems tooled it, now has 6.75 N/6.75 T with 13.75wb. Should be interesting

WKND 8.125
Indy 146 stage VIII hanger on inverted kingpin plate
OJ mini Combo 58
Bronson ceramics (sans shields, didn't fall back into place well)

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #30579 on: March 15, 2022, 12:24:43 PM »
had the overpowering urge to skate a popsicle. I love the 92, but it's going back into the stash for a bit until I can eat shit enough to want to go back to shaped boards.

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
Venture 6.1 (might swap out for aces or lurpivs)
the funny weed wheels in 60mm
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:38:51 PM by white guy in a durag »

animalflesh

« Reply #30580 on: March 15, 2022, 01:56:19 PM »
had the overpowering urge to skate a popsicle. I love the 92, but it's going back into the stash for a bit until I can eat shit enough to want to go back to shaped boards.

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze

Kinda insane looking and I love it

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #30581 on: March 15, 2022, 02:09:25 PM »
What’s an ideal setup for a 5’5” adult woman who wants to learn at parks? Thinking 8.5” on Indy 149 but don’t know if brand new ones need a lot of break in time. Ace might be too unstable for a newbie. Willing to sacrifice my hard earned broken in bushings to help the cause. I have old 8” board and trucks (Ace 33 w/ bones mediums that make them squirrelly despite cranked down nut) I could give her but wider is more better? I haven’t been new to this in a while. Looking back my first setup wasn’t ideal but I didn’t have grownup money to change it.

Mad respeck to an any person with a fully developed brain willing to dive in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 02:52:12 PM by braksabbath »

oliknight

« Reply #30582 on: March 15, 2022, 02:14:53 PM »
What’s an ideal setup for a 5’5” adult woman who wants to learn at parks? Thinking 8.5” on Indy 149 but don’t know if brand new ones need a lot of break in time. Ace might be too unstable for a newbie. Willing to sacrifice my hard earned broken in bushings to help the cause. I have old 8” board and trucks I could give but wider is more better? I haven’t been new to this in a while. Looking back my first setup wasn’t ideal but I didn’t have grownup money to change it.

It really is subjective, I’m 6 foot and i skate an 8” deck with 5.2 ventures, that would be some peoples idea of a nightmare but I love it! Wide boards are fun too of course but I always find myself coming back to old faithful.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #30583 on: March 15, 2022, 02:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s an ideal setup for a 5’5” adult woman who wants to learn at parks? Thinking 8.5” on Indy 149 but don’t know if brand new ones need a lot of break in time. Ace might be too unstable for a newbie. Willing to sacrifice my hard earned broken in bushings to help the cause. I have old 8” board and trucks I could give but wider is more better? I haven’t been new to this in a while. Looking back my first setup wasn’t ideal but I didn’t have grownup money to change it.

[close]

It really is subjective, I’m 6 foot and i skate an 8” deck with 5.2 ventures, that would be some peoples idea of a nightmare but I love it! Wide boards are fun too of course but I always find myself coming back to old faithful.

Usually women have smaller feet. I hand my wife down my old 8.5s but honestly an 8“ would be much better for her (or even smaller). I say give her the old 8“. This way you won‘t waste money if she doesn‘t like it and stops after two sessions. If she is light consider ditching the top washers to get the trucks very loose without the nuts falling of.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

animalflesh

« Reply #30584 on: March 15, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »
Just throw bones mediums in it until she gets comfortable

I’d say an 8.5 with a square tail (for stability) and 149

No risers… 54-55 wheels

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
« Reply #30585 on: March 15, 2022, 02:32:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Heroin 9.5” egg
Ti 169s with Riptides
57 mm Radial Fulls
Swiss
Mafia grip
Half Cabs
[close]

169 titaniums must be the move!i cant imagine the lightness on that board compared to if those were the standard indy truck weight

I sound like a broken record on here but the Ti 169’s are the best truck I’ve ever skated

oliknight

« Reply #30586 on: March 15, 2022, 02:37:22 PM »

I don’t think there needs to be any extra stability.. unless she specifically wanted that.
Shaped boards are good fun but I wouldn’t suggest it based solely on the fact that she’s a girl.

Best bet is to go in to a skatepark and just ask if you can stand on a few decks and see which one is nicest and feels most comfortable and go off that. It’s good to ask advice but it can often leave you even more confused than you started hahah
You can’t beat finding out for yourself what suits you the best :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 02:44:58 PM by oliknight »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #30587 on: March 15, 2022, 02:41:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze
[close]

I hate to ask but is there a top view? Or if not, what's the stick-out factor like? Looks like a lot of fun regardless
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

white guy in a durag

« Reply #30588 on: March 15, 2022, 02:50:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze
[close]

[close]
I hate to ask but is there a top view? Or if not, what's the stick-out factor like? Looks like a lot of fun regardless
Doesn't really show in the picture, but there's some pokin' out. Not crazy but it's definitely not a hover board.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #30589 on: March 15, 2022, 03:00:46 PM »
I wouldn't know it had all that going on underneath just by looking down at it. Thanks!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

oliknight

« Reply #30590 on: March 15, 2022, 03:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze
[close]

[close]
[close]
Doesn't really show in the picture, but there's some pokin' out. Not crazy but it's definitely not a hover board.

How do grip jobs like this effect your switch and nollie tricks?

white guy in a durag

« Reply #30591 on: March 15, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Polar 8.5 Shin Sanbongi
quantum isotopes
jessup
bronze
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

How do grip jobs like this effect your switch and nollie tricks?
I rarely do either. I don't notice it when I'm popping off the nose those.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #30592 on: March 15, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »

Hockey 8.44
Mob
Venture 5.8
Bronze
F4 conical fulls
Reds

How do you like a hockey deck on ventures? Many say they don’t like ventures with steep kicks and 14“+ wheelbase

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #30593 on: March 15, 2022, 04:29:14 PM »
Madness report of the past 6 months:
Trucks: Ace 33/55 classic, Indy 109/149/159/169.
Bushings: stock new and blown out, a bunch of duro's from Venom, Bones medium.
Wheels: OJ Elite 55mm 99a classic, Spitfire cone full 56mm 97a, Spitfire cone full (worn down to 52mm), NFG 56mm 103a Vee.
Bearings: Old Reds and Bronson, tried Zealous w/ built in spacers but they don't sit 100% and will have a slight wobble in at least one wheel.
Boards: Real 8"/14.25" pop, Zip Zinger, Toy Machine 8.88"/14.38" egg, Slave Warpig 9.5", Shop deck 8.75"/14.75" full, Gonz Sweatpants 9.8"/14.38", uncut blank square 9", Shop 8.75"/14.25" full, Shop 8.5"/14.25 full.
Other: Single rail, 1/8" risers on some, DIY wheel wells with a dremel and curved wood carving chisel (chisel is way better), redrilled wheelbases on a few and never liked how it extended the nose, reshaped some of the fuller noses and had some improvement but never fully satisfied.

Mainly been on 8" since the beginning. Spent fall/winter experimenting with everything only to come back down to feeling really good on a 8.5" pop on 149's w/ stock bushings and 52mm wheels. The Warpig with axled 169's was the lightest setup of them all somehow. Popping big boards on cold days was causing more strain on knees and ankles and forcing more days off. Trying to ride more on the balls of my feet and toes made me have to shuffle around on the bigger boards and negate any stability advantage. The 14.75" wheelbase on 169's was the absolute worst. Took it on a trip and couldn't get used to it. Using it for kindling next chance I get to purify the past and forget the madness. Some gear was already in the parts bin or got second hand for cheap so didn't burn too much. The future radness is sticking to DLX 8.5x31.8 and not going through this again.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #30594 on: March 15, 2022, 05:26:54 PM »
New one very exited to try out an 8,5 with a 14 inch wheelbase

Anti Hero mis team eagle 8,5x31,75x14wb
ACE af1 55
Spitfire formula four 53 conical 99a
Shorty's 7/8 lights hardware
Industrial 6 ball bearings
Mob grip
[

Can we get an update on this setup? Looks beautiful.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #30595 on: March 15, 2022, 05:28:40 PM »
Madness report of the past 6 months:
Trucks: Ace 33/55 classic, Indy 109/149/159/169.
Bushings: stock new and blown out, a bunch of duro's from Venom, Bones medium.
Wheels: OJ Elite 55mm 99a classic, Spitfire cone full 56mm 97a, Spitfire cone full (worn down to 52mm), NFG 56mm 103a Vee.
Bearings: Old Reds and Bronson, tried Zealous w/ built in spacers but they don't sit 100% and will have a slight wobble in at least one wheel.
Boards: Real 8"/14.25" pop, Zip Zinger, Toy Machine 8.88"/14.38" egg, Slave Warpig 9.5", Shop deck 8.75"/14.75" full, Gonz Sweatpants 9.8"/14.38", uncut blank square 9", Shop 8.75"/14.25" full, Shop 8.5"/14.25 full.
Other: Single rail, 1/8" risers on some, DIY wheel wells with a dremel and curved wood carving chisel (chisel is way better), redrilled wheelbases on a few and never liked how it extended the nose, reshaped some of the fuller noses and had some improvement but never fully satisfied.

Mainly been on 8" since the beginning. Spent fall/winter experimenting with everything only to come back down to feeling really good on a 8.5" pop on 149's w/ stock bushings and 52mm wheels. The Warpig with axled 169's was the lightest setup of them all somehow. Popping big boards on cold days was causing more strain on knees and ankles and forcing more days off. Trying to ride more on the balls of my feet and toes made me have to shuffle around on the bigger boards and negate any stability advantage. The 14.75" wheelbase on 169's was the absolute worst. Took it on a trip and couldn't get used to it. Using it for kindling next chance I get to purify the past and forget the madness. Some gear was already in the parts bin or got second hand for cheap so didn't burn too much. The future radness is sticking to DLX 8.5x31.8 and not going through this again.

Sometimes the most fun is setting up boards from whatever you have lying around, then having a "fun session" and just seeing what works, what doesn't work, what could be made better and all that.

I would apply that same theory to setting up a board for anyone else, eg your lady friend too.

Having a few different boards to try really does help to work out what is best for that individual.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1146
« Reply #30596 on: March 15, 2022, 08:58:10 PM »

Miles grip
Losers ATL
Some funky tri winged titanium hardware
Indy mid cast baseplates, array sleeved flat bushing cup, Krux K4 Barrel bushing, Thunder 149 Ti hanger, 6006 bearing shield sandwiched in between a Tensor interconnecting top bushing. Pivot cup holes were filled with J-B Weld steel reinforced epoxy to take up the slack in the geometry. Titanium Jacobs Ladder inverted kingpins.
Bones Swiss 6
Spits conical slims 52's, way smaller now

How’s that miles grip? I’ve seen those plastic blades lying around lately

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 594
« Reply #30597 on: March 15, 2022, 09:37:06 PM »
What’s an ideal setup for a 5’5” adult woman who wants to learn at parks? Thinking 8.5” on Indy 149 but don’t know if brand new ones need a lot of break in time. Ace might be too unstable for a newbie. Willing to sacrifice my hard earned broken in bushings to help the cause. I have old 8” board and trucks (Ace 33 w/ bones mediums that make them squirrelly despite cranked down nut) I could give her but wider is more better? I haven’t been new to this in a while. Looking back my first setup wasn’t ideal but I didn’t have grownup money to change it.

For what it’s worth, it depends on what she likes. I got my girl into skating and she really wanted to learn flat ground and skate curbs with me. I got her an 8.25 and she really struggled to get it off the ground. Went down to a 7.75 with 8” trucks and she’s doing a lot better on it. Just like the rest of us, there isn’t a magic number that works. Depends on so many factors plus what she has an interest in.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #30598 on: March 15, 2022, 09:53:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For what it’s worth, it depends on what she likes. I got my girl into skating and she really wanted to learn flat ground and skate curbs with me. I got her an 8.25 and she really struggled to get it off the ground. Went down to a 7.75 with 8” trucks and she’s doing a lot better on it. Just like the rest of us, there isn’t a magic number that works. Depends on so many factors plus what she has an interest in.

Wasn't a big fan of Tensor Maglight ATG or the Low but their weight works well for beginner or ladies still developing the leg muscles to pop their boards, especially the Low since the reduced height makes the pop easier to time. Or Thunder 147 Hollow Lights are a good option too. More art / bro-science than actual science, I've seen ladies rip on an 8.25 and some that wear by 7.75.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #30599 on: March 15, 2022, 11:37:46 PM »

Miles grip
Losers ATL
Some funky tri winged titanium hardware
Indy mid cast baseplates, array sleeved flat bushing cup, Krux K4 Barrel bushing, Thunder 149 Ti hanger, 6006 bearing shield sandwiched in between a Tensor interconnecting top bushing. Pivot cup holes were filled with J-B Weld steel reinforced epoxy to take up the slack in the geometry. Titanium Jacobs Ladder inverted kingpins.
Bones Swiss 6
Spits conical slims 52's, way smaller now

Now that‘s kingpin clearance. Next level truck engineering.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro