Author Topic: The Set-up Thread  (Read 4786107 times)

gaunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Set-up Thread
« Reply #32370 on: November 18, 2022, 12:47:00 PM »
Had a gx board for a bit, but it felt way too light. Time to set up a board that's way too heavy.

Quasi 8.75"
Ace 55 classsics
60mm kader fulls (now 58-ish)
quantum isotopes
jessup
hardies ben K 1" philips

very fucking sick. makes me want to step it up and get some 55 radials.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #32371 on: November 18, 2022, 01:47:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not sure if I like it for sure yet, but wow steep kicks just work so well for me. I think I'm over mellow/flat decks for good.
[close]

If that's the case, you're gonna love FA/Hockey decks. Super steep popsicles.
[close]

I've had a lot of them before, and honestly the tails always felt like a medium or mellow to me. Only the nose was definitely steep. That may just be me though.
[close]

No you're right, the tails are actually mellower than the noses. Though I did pick up an 8.75" and the tail actually feels bigger/steeper than the smaller sizes (I usually ride 8.5")
[close]

I've been eyeing one of those hockey 8.75 decks but I don't like how short the 8.5 and fa/hockey shapes feel. What's the length and wb on the bigger size like? Seen a couple different dimension listings.
[close]

@minilogoflow definitely rides like the smaller boards imo so you may not like it. I just measured mine at 32.5" long and 14.25" wb but that's with trucks on so the 32.6" x 14.5" wb listed on the website is probably right. The tail is definitely fuller than the smaller sizes which makes a huge difference to me
[close]

Thanks for the measurements. The fuller tail sounds great and the length and wb are in my sweet spot. What do you mean by it skating like the smaller ones?
[close]

Yeah that wasn't very clear. I meant to say, it doesn't feel that much different from the 8.5" hockeys that I've skated (which I like a lot) aside from the tail. Measurements say it's longer but it still feels like a tight, compact board. Here's a pic of the top to give you an idea of the shape. I would say it's worth a try

It's all good and thanks for the insight. I've been skating the Polar 9.0 decks and want something just a little smaller so this sounds perfect.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32372 on: November 19, 2022, 02:32:18 AM »

I think I’ve been watching Photo to much recently and it’s catching up to me.
Love the shape on this Habitat… I do wish it was a Gall model tho.
Kailynx for the culture.

The Rallysport series was really dope, the dims on the 8.0 like Baker (8.0 X 31.625 x 14.25) with more concave and a fuller nose. Habitat and AWS doesn't get as much love these days but they make some great boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #32373 on: November 19, 2022, 08:04:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Kailynx for the culture.
[close]

The Rallysport series was really dope, the dims on the 8.0 like Baker (8.0 X 31.625 x 14.25) with more concave and a fuller nose. Habitat and AWS doesn't get as much love these days but they make some great boards.
def love the shape on this board and I'm a fan of the fuller nose and tail. This series gave me that old Habitat vibe which I love so dearly.
Every time I skate a Habitat my Nosegrinds come back... its the strangest thing  ;)

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #32374 on: November 20, 2022, 04:37:19 PM »

Kailynx for the culture.

Setup-Carpet combo on point

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #32375 on: November 20, 2022, 07:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote

Kailynx for the culture.
[close]

Was looking at that shape but wasn't sure how I'd like it since most online shops said the tail was super short at like 6.25" or so. Do you happen to know the tail length? Agreed that Habitat/AWS makes great boards. I skated a few of the 7.875s and loved them.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32376 on: November 20, 2022, 09:24:14 PM »
@FatGuy92 according to Tactics the tail is 6.5", rest of the specs are on going versus the Habitat website:
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/melange-80-skateboard-deck

I'm browsing the Habitat website and it looks like they've used a few different molds, at least 2 PS Stix (NASA and Twin Peaks series) but mostly BBS.

BBS
8.0 x 31.625 x 14.25 (Melange / Stefan Rallysprot)
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Suciu Topographic Series)

PS Stix
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Twin Peaks)
8.0 x 31.25 x 14.25 (NASA)

Alien Workshop's current lineup online are all BBS.

Looks like they gave Suciu and Frankie Spears the same 8.38 Twin Tip model
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/suciu-lone-wolf-8-375-twin
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-revelation-8-375-8-5
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32377 on: November 21, 2022, 12:29:18 AM »
My interpretation of a Video Days era setup. Skating in the very early 90s was an interesting time, when wheels were just beginning to shrink, boards were still vaguely fishlike and vert was on the verge of not being cool anymore. I took some creative liberties with this one, I didn’t make it as accurate as I’ve made my other historical recreation setups. I read a bunch of Product Patrols from around this timeframe to try to figure out the appropriate wheel sizes and hardnesses as well as board widths, I ended up going with a skinnier board than they probably would have been skating around then as I didn’t feel like skating a ~10”

Tactics shop board 9.125 at its widest
Grind King Disruptors 6.0
NFG squares 54mm 95a that I tried to dye half black along with some 60mms but they turned out half green instead. I let them sit in the dye for a little over a week in my garage while I took a trip to the East Coast. See below
Bronson G3s
Random 1” hardware and 1/8” risers I had lying around
Jessup with an Atlas sticker under the line at the back truck. I was trying to copy Mike Carroll’s grip job in the following video starting at about 40 seconds. I didn’t really pull it off as well as I wanted to.

https://youtu.be/jJ4wnbk1oho

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #32378 on: November 21, 2022, 07:43:59 AM »
My interpretation of a Video Days era setup. Skating in the very early 90s was an interesting time, when wheels were just beginning to shrink, boards were still vaguely fishlike and vert was on the verge of not being cool anymore. I took some creative liberties with this one, I didn’t make it as accurate as I’ve made my other historical recreation setups. I read a bunch of Product Patrols from around this timeframe to try to figure out the appropriate wheel sizes and hardnesses as well as board widths, I ended up going with a skinnier board than they probably would have been skating around then as I didn’t feel like skating a ~10”

NFG squares 54mm 95a that I tried to dye half black along with some 60mms but they turned out half green instead. I let them sit in the dye for a little over a week in my garage while I took a trip to the East Coast. See below
Bronson G3s
Jessup with an Atlas sticker under the line at the back truck. I was trying to copy Mike Carroll’s grip job in the following video starting at about 40 seconds. I didn’t really pull it off as well as I wanted to.

What an awesome homage set up. Great job. Love the dipped wheels

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #32379 on: November 21, 2022, 11:30:33 AM »
I absolutely woulda skated this set up in 1991 except for with the stage Vs that I had and loved. Looks like a World based set up to me. It's cool to know that I am not the only person trying to do period correct set ups with current gear. I picked it up after seeing some of Destroyed Wood's videos and then reading through the scans of Product Patrol and old Thrashers in general.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32380 on: November 21, 2022, 06:03:20 PM »

Those dipped wheels are really sick! What kind of dye did you use?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

first_ave_dunks_are_sexy

« Reply #32381 on: November 21, 2022, 09:32:42 PM »
i ride an 8.25 familia skateshop deck, thunder 148 team hollows with bones soft bushings, spitfire conical full 52mm, pepper grip, bones swiss bearings

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32382 on: November 22, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote

Bronson G3s

[close]

Thanks, I kinda wish they came out black but I'm still happy with how they turned out.

Expand Quote
[close]
I absolutely woulda skated this set up in 1991 except for with the stage Vs that I had and loved. Looks like a World based set up to me. It's cool to know that I am not the only person trying to do period correct set ups with current gear. I picked it up after seeing some of Destroyed Wood's videos and then reading through the scans of Product Patrol and old Thrashers in general.

Haha nice. Yeah it's World based, I partially used photos of Jason Lee skating bLind boards for reference. Those Product Patrols are pretty rad, it's cool to hear Jake's commentary on the equipment changing as rapidly as it was at that time.

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #32383 on: November 22, 2022, 09:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Bronson G3s

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I kinda wish they came out black but I'm still happy with how they turned out.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Haha nice. Yeah it's World based, I partially used photos of Jason Lee skating bLind boards for reference. Those Product Patrols are pretty rad, it's cool to hear Jake's commentary on the equipment changing as rapidly as it was at that time.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, I used Rit All Purpose black dye. I got 2 8 oz bottles from Target, I think they're like 5 bucks a bottle. I got an old takeout tray and poked some holes in them, then slid some chopsticks through the holes and put the wheels through the chopsticks. I then taped the wheels down so that they wouldn't touch each other or sit crooked. Then I poured the dye straight from the bottle into the container and let them sit. What I've heard is that the more correct way to do it is to dilute the dye with hot water and stir on a stove, but I wasn't sure how to do that and also get the half dye that I wanted. I'll probably do that next time, when I plan on dying the whole wheel.

Have yet to try it on wheels, but I've had really good luck getting true color on plastics and synthetic fabrics with the Rit dye that is for synthetics specifically. I've used it to dye a couple pair of pants and it has also colored the plastic buttons really well.

Also, setup looks great. Ran that shape a few months ago and it was really nice. Like a slightly larger Polar surf.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #32384 on: November 22, 2022, 11:28:20 PM »
@FatGuy92 according to Tactics the tail is 6.5", rest of the specs are on going versus the Habitat website:
https://www.tactics.com/habitat/melange-80-skateboard-deck

I'm browsing the Habitat website and it looks like they've used a few different molds, at least 2 PS Stix (NASA and Twin Peaks series) but mostly BBS.

BBS
8.0 x 31.625 x 14.25 (Melange / Stefan Rallysprot)
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Suciu Topographic Series)

PS Stix
8.0 x 31.625 x 14 (Twin Peaks)
8.0 x 31.25 x 14.25 (NASA)

Alien Workshop's current lineup online are all BBS.

Looks like they gave Suciu and Frankie Spears the same 8.38 Twin Tip model
https://habitatskateboards.com/products/suciu-lone-wolf-8-375-twin
https://www.alienworkshop.com/products/frankie-revelation-8-375-8-5

Thanks for compiling the dims!

poodude

• Rep: 22
« Reply #32385 on: November 23, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
New cruiser setup; fun to carve around on and go fast.
Deck: Heroin 9.125 w/ Mob
Trucks: Indy 159s with shock pads
Hardware: Shorty's 1.25
Bearings: Zealous (super fast)
Wheels: 60mm 78a Ricta Clouds

« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 05:21:21 PM by poodude »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #32386 on: November 24, 2022, 01:48:44 PM »
New cruiser setup; fun to carve around on and go fast.
Deck: Heroin 9.125 w/ Mob
Trucks: Indy 159s with shock pads
Hardware: Shorty's 1.25
Bearings: Zealous (super fast)
Wheels: 60mm 78a Ricta Clouds

This looks awesome. I have these wheels in 52mm. Can't imagine how fast these 60mm can be. Stay safe out there.
IG: @flowterspace

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #32387 on: November 24, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »
A little something for me:

Passport 8.25
101 Radial Slim 52’s. A little slippery at the park this morning. The OG classics I was skating before didn’t like getting up onto pool coping. These might not either based on shape
148 Thunder titaniums
Freshly cleaned and lubed Swiss ceramics

Something for the people at the skatepark that may not be able to afford new gear. Purging the closet. I get enough free stuff on occasion that it all evens out in the end

fuck you bama

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #32388 on: November 24, 2022, 04:05:12 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClXO2F-PjkIVj2dbx1YKq3T895tRLoaLeqnCsA0/

Happy Thanksgiving!

Chocolate 8.375 x 32 G030 shape
Thunder 148 with the 95 bushings
Quantum Metallics
1 Diamond bolts allen
Currently skating the Lakai Atlantics.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32389 on: November 24, 2022, 06:25:09 PM »
Something for the people at the skatepark that may not be able to afford new gear. Purging the closet. I get enough free stuff on occasion that it all evens out in the end

New shoes and decks at the park?! Big dick energy, love it!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #32390 on: November 24, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »
Early Christmas present since I'll be at work for Xmas and new years.

FA 8.25 Embossed
Modus grip
Thunder Ti 149 w/ bones hardcore hard top in the bottom and hardcore med top on top.
Pig Phillips hardware
Crupie ODB 51mm
Rush 5's popped shields
Just call me Daddy.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #32391 on: November 25, 2022, 05:34:04 AM »

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #32392 on: November 25, 2022, 05:56:09 AM »

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a

Love the 6.1s on a 8.38 that was my last setup!
Just call me Daddy.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #32393 on: November 25, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »

Spanly 8.125 mellow
Venture hollow low 5.2
Powell dragons

So far I'm loving this.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #32394 on: November 25, 2022, 10:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@rocklobster it’s the start of the holiday season here. The shoes and boards were all too small for me. Sometimes it’s just easier to give it away in hopes that someone that really needs it will be the one to take it
fuck you bama

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #32395 on: November 25, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »

New new

Hockey 8.5 Andrew Allen
Ace 44 classic with a couple washers inside
1/8 Risers
More SML Mike Arnold wheels
LRAB's or chuck 70s

Only managed to use the ace for 10 minutes before the rain and one ride on grind. The bushings feel so soft and a bit mad compared to thunders but very fun.

Schinken

• Rep: 60
« Reply #32396 on: November 25, 2022, 11:21:16 AM »
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

Best setup I've had in a while. The 6.1s are quite surfy since I
replaced the crumbled bushings with bones medium.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #32397 on: November 25, 2022, 01:20:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Creature 8.38
Venture 6.1
Bones 55mm Stf99a
[close]

[close]

Best setup I've had in a while. The 6.1s are quite surfy since I
replaced the crumbled bushings with bones medium.

The Venture bushings that came out recently are really good.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #32398 on: November 25, 2022, 04:40:42 PM »

I have hella in my stack I can purge. I’m gonna do this. Maybe buy a few BOGO shoes from my local skate to include in the free pile.

shpongle

• Rep: 200
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #32399 on: November 25, 2022, 05:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If i could +rep you i would. Thats some top g shit