Author Topic: Tips for learning to ride transition  (Read 4553 times)

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Tips for learning to ride transition
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2019, 10:59:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those are great tips and make perfect sense! As for looking weird I’m 41 lol. I started skating back in 1991 and stopped about 20 years ago. I already know I look ridiculous but the great thing about being my age is I’m way past giving a shit what people think about me. ✌️
[close]

I'm 34 and am just getting back into skating as well. I don't care about looking dumb, so long as I can do it.

And thanks to everyone for the tips. Can't wait to get over the flu and get back on my board.
[close]

Nobody thinks an older beginner is kook shit.  If anything people will be super hyped to see it.  I love seeing anyone pick up a board and 99% of real skaters feel the same.
[close]

That’s how I feel about it. More people skating is a good thing. I’m interested to see what the reaction will be after the olympics next year. I’m sure there’s going to be a bunch of “gatekeepers” trying to talk shit on all the new “wannabes and posers” but I hope that doesn’t discourage anyone from picking up a board and going for it. I feel it’s our opportunity to help change the negative image skaters have. For example I ride sport bikes and have since 1996. Yeah I ride fast and wheelie and all that but never in traffic. Motorcyclists already have a bad image and whenever I’m on my bike I’m an ambassador for that community. Same as when I’m on my board. I’m teaching my son to be respectful when we’re out skating. Sure we go to “spots” but I try not to be a nuance and if we’re asked to leave, even if it’s rudely, it’s always yes sir/ma’am and we just find somewhere else to go.

The only image motorcyclists have these days is being irresponsible dorks. I say this as someone who loves motorcycles and has logged a lot of miles on them.

The motorcycle Easy Rider style "bad image" motorcycling had is dead. Anybody below the age of 40 thinks you're either some white haired leather-daddy on a Harley or an extremely annoying individual on a crotch rocket.

Skateboarding's in the olympics, the bad image there is fading hard and fast. Get with the times.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2019, 05:42:13 AM »
Go and get a bigger board... I see lots of beginner riding a small board on transition with very tight trucks.
It's not impossible but a bigger board and some looser / wider trucks really help, especially in bowls... That's what helped me out a lot...
support your local ramp-tramp

breathnaigh

• Rep: 5
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 12:06:10 PM »
I started skating on my 50th b-day 6 months ago and celebrated today with my first drop-in on a 6 foot ramp.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzcFuaF05aTAOMUDFaytX9w

Yo even if you skate often that seems like good progression for 6 months. Congrats. That mini looks fun, too.

The tips on staying roughly perpendicular to the surface, treating pumping like pumping on a swing, etc. are really good. I remember spending a long time watching guys skate transition and trying to emulate when they bent their knees, but you can't just repeat those motions--it's all feel and momentum. 

I'm still pretty mediocre at transition but stuff that helped me (learned in my late 30s):

• Dropping in is just one of those things in skating where it's terrifying until you know how it feels to land it. Then it's pretty easy (on mellow transition, anyway). When you're up there, try squatting a little and touching the nose of your board first--sometimes helps you get lower and knees bent. That way there's less distance to travel before you're in the transition with your body perpendicular to the transition. Also, the longer you stand up there and look down, the scarier it gets.
  • In addition to the "lean toward your shoulder" is "look where you're going." For rock to fakie, coming back in was easier if I turned my head (not shoulders) to look back into the ramp right at the point when my weight/momentum shifted. Also, practice flat ground fakie manuals to get comfortable moving in that direction with your weight on your back foot.
  • Skate as often as you can. Periods when I had lots of opportunities to skate were when I progressed fastest (I mean, obviously, but still). Know when to quit, though. Most of my injuries happen when my legs are jelly at the end of a session.
  • Down the road, for learning axle stalls/grinds, practice dropping in/coming back in from the stall position. You're basically pivoting back in on the toe-side rear wheel, so make sure that's solidly in the transition (vs locked up against the coping). Once you can do that, you'll have more confidence getting INTO the stall because you'll know what you're gonna do once you get there.

switchbs180

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
Anyone has tips for ollie to fakie and fs/bs ollie over coping? What is the right speed and moment to pop?
Do I pop the ollie at maximum speed or do I have to go faster, to keep speed while popping?

I hope you all understand what I mean pals 😁

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »
First, buy good pads and a helmet.

Second, learn to knee slide. Run up the tranny (from flat) and knee slide back down. Next drop-in to a knee slide from the coping. Learning to fall/knee slide is super important on tranny if you are just starting. Running out bails is some next-level stuff. That will come with time. Pads are always a good insurance policy for a failed run-out, too.   

Third, follow what others said about pumping the tranny, kickturns, etc. Start small, and work your way up. 
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre