Author Topic: Red Bull - You Good?  (Read 17398 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1487
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Red Bull - You Good?
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
the amount of sore assholes in this thread is astounding.

i make a good living and i understand how important it is to not be broke as fuck all the time.   how the fuck am i going to hate on somebody trying to skate full time and taking redbull money to do so?  people on here also claiming how it's cancer causing.

lol okay the redbull is going to kill you.  do most of the skaters that died in the past 10 years have redbull or ethanol to thank for that?

skateboarding is the only activity where the hobbyist want the very best doing it to be as poor as possible, to make themselves feel better about their shitty life

dude, no one here is hating on these guys for trying to secure a good financial future - but we are acutely aware of the damage their endorsement is doing to skateboarding as a whole. we have every right to brings this up with every red bull product placement, we are not dumb and we shouldn't let this message get diluted over time, like we let happen with nike etc.

the best possible scenario is that a small group of PRO skaters get paid well and produces good footage, while the subculture does not buy into the bullshit and their budget is fueled by the mainstream market of motorsports and the like

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2019, 02:23:27 PM »
Energy drinks haven't been around long enough for someone to definitively prove that they're not linked to cancer or other long-term health issues, but they've been linked to alterations of the heart muscles and issues with blood pressure, as well as anxiety and nervous system disorders. Couple that with the fact that the target market for most energy drink brands are children and teenagers, whose nervous and cardiovascular systems are still growing and developing, and yeah, the whole energy drink NASCAR sponsorship thing is a lot shadier than kids in a Supreme video smoking cigarettes (and no one said that's a good look, so this is pure whataboutism). But sure, good for these dudes for sacrificing integrity and taste for their financial futures.

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6280269/

That's about Red Bull and vodka. Too much caffeine is bad for your heart, no shit. Too much water will kill you too. That's nothing like linking cigarettes to cancer. Know what's just as bad or worse for kids? breakfast cereal, candy, chips, fried food, fries, etc. ...oh and alcohol... weed on a developing brain we're learning...

It's the selective outrage that's so stupid. 

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
This is a thread on a skateboarding message board about a Red Bull video. The fact that you think any of those other things you listed are worth bringing up in this particular topic is laughable. Reese's Puffs didn't make a video, Red Bull did. That's why we're discussing Red Bull. Again, it's whataboutism at it finest.

Red Bull and many other energy drinks have only been around for 35 years or so, which means they haven't existed for long enough to definitively prove they don't cause issues like cancer much later in a user's life. Kinda like how no one expected cigarettes to cause lung cancer and we only learned this when long-time smokers hit their 60s. I included this in an earlier post, but you steamrolled over the point.

With that being said, dude, if you wanna be the guy sticking up for energy drinks and pretending people don't take proper umbrage in regards to weed, alcohol, breakfast cereals, fast food, etc. (hate to break it to you, but plenty of people take issue with the way these are advertised, even in skateboarding), go right ahead.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 02:38:57 PM by heckler »
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »
Redbull, Monster, Mountain Dew, Rockstar etc have such obnoxious, hateable logos which got me to wondering, would they still be so hated if they were branded with something more tasteful? I ruminated on it for a bit and my answer is yes. Yes they would.
Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »
I'm not suggesting they're healthy, if you read my post you'd clearly see that. I'm related to one of the authors of the mouse study you cited, I'll let you guess which one. I have a degree in chemistry, I can look at the ingredients of a red bull and I'm pretty familiar with it. Which ingredient do you suggest is SO novel it's a predictive cause of cancer? We've linked cigarettes to cancer since the 1940s.

My comments are focused to the posters on here who can't even search pubmed and read abstracts that are saying "energy drinks cause cancer!!!"  derp...no, they don't.

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »

If I was working at Real or Deathwish I'd be telling Zion and Jamie to start sending tapes to Darkstar or Blind because they are seriously tarnishing the reputations of their current board sponsors.

This is what I was thinking the whole time as well. I get that these companies obviously want to have these productive top level skaters but at what point is it worth sacrificing the image of the brand? I hope we can one day look back at this and laugh like when he think about Lutzka riding for krooked.

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
stoked for the reese's puffs video

thebacker

« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »

Who’s on the team?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote
the amount of sore assholes in this thread is astounding.

i make a good living and i understand how important it is to not be broke as fuck all the time.   how the fuck am i going to hate on somebody trying to skate full time and taking redbull money to do so?  people on here also claiming how it's cancer causing.

lol okay the redbull is going to kill you.  do most of the skaters that died in the past 10 years have redbull or ethanol to thank for that?

skateboarding is the only activity where the hobbyist want the very best doing it to be as poor as possible, to make themselves feel better about their shitty life
[close]

God knows it would be impossible to make a living and also be an ethical, moral human being. Why would anyone want that - or even to work towards that?

the fact that you consider a caffeinated soda beverage a moral and ethical choice lets us all know how delusional you are.

is that really a rabbit hole you want to go down?  Does everyone involved in skate footage with alcohol and partying forgo the ability to claim they are living a moral and ethical life?   alcohol is directly responsible for the death of thousand of people a year.  Does it make a person immoral and unethical to also partake? 

are restaurants immoral and unethical for selling highly caloric food and soda?

here's a news flash.  these dudes probably won't be making any livable income from skateboarding in 15 years. 
but they should be more moral and not accept financial support from a soda company.  you're right.
where is home?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 703
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »
One day in the near future, as teams line up on opposing sides of the course for the final playoff game of skateboarding, there will be a neat little retrospective video on the Red Bull team and how they were the first to introduce uniforms into skateboarding via the cap. As far as most kids are concerned, this will mean that Red Bull was the first real skateboard team and basically invented skateboarding. I read it in the Taurine pattern at the bottom of the can.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 04:43:05 PM by botefdunn »

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #160 on: December 04, 2019, 05:15:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who’s on the team?

reese forbes, reese salken, all your other favorite reeses too

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
Zion skates like a meatball

Autozone

• Rep: 61
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2019, 06:21:52 PM »
Zion skates like a meatball

I feel like a meatball would skate this.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2019, 06:25:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who’s on the team?

Heard Simpson is still on the veteran team

nasalcrilltobackpaddle

« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2019, 11:43:45 PM »
Man, another example of stupid arguments on SLAP. This self righteous shit is pretty amazing. If you're outraged about these dudes taking money from an energy drink manufacturer, what's your actual issue with it?

Are you worried about the cumulative effect that energy drinks will have on public health? Because if that's the case I hope you also don't use fossil fuels or electronics, because those two things wreak INFINITELY more havoc on people and the environment than tiny ass Redbull.

Or are you against advertising energy drinks to kids? Because if you are, you should probably also ban all of the skate videos that promote being high and stoned all the time, which is far worse for a kid than Redbull.

Are energy drinks healthy? No.

Do you have your head waaaaay up your ass in this argument? Yes

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
Quick takeaways:

Akon & Jeezy? What is this, 2007?

Milder's ender angle was fucking atrocious. Sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Zion's red tracksuit is the worst outfit since Garrett Hill's Red/black pants (Richie & Stephen Lawyer don't count).

I don't think I've ever used more than 1/3rd of a brain cell thinking about Alex Milder, but dude rips. Style is kinda bunk, though.

All in all, it was a... video... I guess.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2019, 11:55:39 AM »
Expand Quote

If I was working at Real or Deathwish I'd be telling Zion and Jamie to start sending tapes to Darkstar or Blind because they are seriously tarnishing the reputations of their current board sponsors.

[close]
This is what I was thinking the whole time as well. I get that these companies obviously want to have these productive top level skaters but at what point is it worth sacrificing the image of the brand? I hope we can one day look back at this and laugh like when he think about Lutzka riding for krooked.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone on Real or Dearhwish gets a bigger paycheck from their board brand for riding for Red Bull. They are marketed more than other skaters thru Red Bull so they get more board sales and photo incentives, and the board brands probably love it. But also a thin line to not tarnish brand.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »
Foy is a beast

That was alot of rails in 20 minutes.

Gentleman ninja warlock

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »

Zion's red tracksuit is the worst outfit

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2019, 01:26:38 PM »
i hit the > key throughout the whole video just to check, and there's a hat in every clip. that post a few pages back wasn't kidding.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -458
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
You have to be a moron to think frequent consumption of energy drinks doesn’t probably have some risk at least. I’m all for skaters making money off Red Bull.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
You have to be a moron to think frequent consumption of energy drinks doesn’t probably have some risk at least. I’m all for skaters making money off Red Bull.

Or a 12 year old these guys are being used to market to

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »
Just now watching for the first time and oh my I cannot believe Foy used "Soul Survivor" ahahahahahahaha.

Straight mid 2000's suburban homie edit vibes.

https://youtu.be/1_-J-3j5IbI

All this skating is unreal though. Absolutely insane. The fact that it is advertising a trash energy drink has me very jaded though.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2019, 10:18:02 PM »
I’m just gonna leave this here. Sheckler of trips to China??

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3831006

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »
I’m just gonna leave this here. Sheckler of trips to China??

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3831006

NT$300 fine = USD $9.84

I reckon Ryan might have this one sorted
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps