Author Topic: mellow decks with steep-ish kicks  (Read 2464 times)

topfrog10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
mellow decks with steep-ish kicks
« on: December 10, 2020, 09:08:48 PM »
I was skating a WKND 8.25 for bit but the concave fucked with me, however I really liked the length and squareness of the nose and tail. I recently went for a 8.25 Baker and I love how mellow it is but the lack of concave makes it feel skinnier than it is and the kicks are non-existent. Anyone have any recommendations for decks that are mellow like a baker but have some more kicks to it? I'm down to size up a bit too.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
Re: mellow decks with steep-ish kicks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 02:41:12 PM »
I skated a 8.25 stereo earlier this year that meets that criteria. I liked it a lot.

Dwindle has many decks under that category too. Labeled as mellow/steep kicks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:05:22 PM »
For some reason I thought Santa Cruz too? 

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 03:01:14 AM »
For some reason I thought Santa Cruz too?

Odd or maybe not so odd that Santa Cruz is now made under Dwindle, so it stands to reason they would feel the same.

On another note, I found that the Generator decks (cannot call them blanks) seemed to have very flat concave but still had fairly steep kicks, especially compared to the general BBS supply, even though they are out of the same place, there would be some molds for this and some for that purpose it would seem.

Post covid, that might have changed, or certainly no one is about to get blanks from the big companies any time soon.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 05:47:24 AM »
Really liking my 5Boro.

ballintoohard

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 08:08:35 AM »
Polar

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 02:19:44 PM »
I'm very partial to the mold Watson uses for some of their popsicles, easiest to find would be the Foundation Oval series and Toy Machine OG monsters from a few months back. It's quite flat concave wise but the kicks are what I would call a perfect medium. The Foundation 8.25 has a 14.38 wb and the TM has 14.12 I believe, but otherwise they're pretty much the same. I much prefer the foundation but my TM is also an 8.38 which might be a contributing factor.

concave

shape

kicks, can't remember what the board on the left is... might be a ty beall scumco 8.12 or another PS board

You could also try Quasi's 8.25 shape, it's got less concave and a mellower tail than the WKNDs I've skated but is overall pretty similar. Either way I'd avoid BBS as even their "mellow" molds are pretty deep, and definitely avoid the SC standard concave as it's one of the deepest I've skated. There's a lot of dwindle boards marketed as "mellow concave/steep kick" but they always feel weird to me (other than the footballs, those feel great). I'd probably stick to PS for the most part if you want something without a lot of concave.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
I'm very partial to the mold Watson uses for some of their popsicles, easiest to find would be the Foundation Oval series and Toy Machine OG monsters from a few months back. It's quite flat concave wise but the kicks are what I would call a perfect medium. The Foundation 8.25 has a 14.38 wb and the TM has 14.12 I believe, but otherwise they're pretty much the same. I much prefer the foundation but my TM is also an 8.38 which might be a contributing factor.

concave

shape

kicks, can't remember what the board on the left is... might be a ty beall scumco 8.12 or another PS board

You could also try Quasi's 8.25 shape, it's got less concave and a mellower tail than the WKNDs I've skated but is overall pretty similar. Either way I'd avoid BBS as even their "mellow" molds are pretty deep, and definitely avoid the SC standard concave as it's one of the deepest I've skated. There's a lot of dwindle boards marketed as "mellow concave/steep kick" but they always feel weird to me (other than the footballs, those feel great). I'd probably stick to PS for the most part if you want something without a lot of concave.

I like a shorter board, but the ‘fingers of flat’ on that foundation look great.
Dope post. Thanks for your insight.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm still in Texas (Yeehaw) so I don't have access to that deck to measure it but I'm almost certain its 31.8"... I'm a short board guy too so it's kind of towards the upper end of what I usually skate but its one of those boards that on paper I shouldn't really like (14.38 wb rather than 14.25, over 31.75 length, full dip etc) but it just works. Actually it's one of my favorite decks at the moment and I regret not bringing it down here with me. I had always heard that watson wood wasnt very good but it feels great to me, has a really nice light pop feel but is thick and very sturdy and doesn't flex as much as PS wood. It kind of feels like a weird amalgamation of PS stix and South Central to me... I actually might end up buying another one while they're still available just to keep on ice since tracking down 8.25 modern popsicle shaped Watson decks isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
I'm still in Texas (Yeehaw) so I don't have access to that deck to measure it but I'm almost certain its 31.8"... I'm a short board guy too so it's kind of towards the upper end of what I usually skate but its one of those boards that on paper I shouldn't really like (14.38 wb rather than 14.25, over 31.75 length, full dip etc) but it just works. Actually it's one of my favorite decks at the moment and I regret not bringing it down here with me. I had always heard that watson wood wasnt very good but it feels great to me, has a really nice light pop feel but is thick and very sturdy and doesn't flex as much as PS wood. It kind of feels like a weird amalgamation of PS stix and South Central to me... I actually might end up buying another one while they're still available just to keep on ice since tracking down 8.25 modern popsicle shaped Watson decks isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Damn was hoping you had escaped.
The only Watson board I’ve had (that I can remember) was that early assault/scram collaboration. It was the the stiffest board I’ve ever felt. Watson is USA which is another thing I’d prefer to buy if possible. I’ll keep an eye out for their shorter stuff (I’m on some weird no more than 31.5” bs rn). I do like board with fingers of flat, flatter shapes. Thanks for the idea

topfrog10

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2020, 09:01:28 AM »

concave

shape

this is super helpful thanks! I am considering trying TM or Quasi next, but surprised you said avoid bbs because i really like the amount of concave on my mellow baker, its just the length/kicks im not fully loving.

topfrog10

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
Polar
are all their sizes/shapes pretty mellow or a specific one? I don't think i've seen polar on the mellow concave list before.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 11:19:45 AM »
killing floor 100%

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Dwindle has many decks under that category too. Labeled as mellow/steep kicks

This. 90% of all they make is this combo these days.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:05:12 AM by Xen »

ballintoohard

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Polar
[close]
are all their sizes/shapes pretty mellow or a specific one? I don't think i've seen polar on the mellow concave list before.

The 8.18 and 8.38 are mellow side to side with large noses, decently steep.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2020, 01:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is super helpful thanks! I am considering trying TM or Quasi next, but surprised you said avoid bbs because i really like the amount of concave on my mellow baker, its just the length/kicks im not fully loving.

I have definitely felt some BBS wood boards are steep / deep concave, just like one I had set up but took straight off and passed on to someone else, but most I have found and chosen to ride are actually quite mellow, and sit nicely in between for overall concave and spoon shape in the nose and tail.

The price point boards from DLX as well as Generator blanks were very flat and don't feel like other BBS boards at all, even though they are out of the same place.  They actually look a lot like the Foundation board in how flat they are and actually feel too flat across for my liking.  I still have some of them so should take some pics, but I doubt it will show well enough detail.

It is always interesting to hear other's thoughts on some of the different boards, no matter what their thoughts are too!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.