Author Topic: Did Instagram ruined skateboarding now?  (Read 3994 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
Re: Did Instagram ruined skateboarding now?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2020, 06:55:35 PM »
I thought most of skateboarding’s legends would be cool people, but Instagram unveiled that most of them are old washed up fuckbois. I remember when I thought crailtap was cool.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2020, 06:00:02 AM »
nothing wrong with post ur skating in the post ur skating section.  I'm gonna post a clip soon.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2020, 06:02:14 AM »
Instagram ruined my attention span.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
Maybe relate it to one of your favorite bands. If they released tunes everyday without a filter on quality you
start to imagine how much interest you would lose.
It wouldn't be unique. videos and brands putting out there ads when i was young had an arrangement
that drew a bigger picture. Only having a little taste through the year with mag photos made the video feel
so much bigger.
Skate content came out so much slower than it does now that it felt more important.
Instagram isn't ruining skating, it's just making it boring.
No identity or personality anymore. Just tricks. Less is more, homies. Insta is wicked bland.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 07:34:18 PM »
just from my point of view. being someone who was around for the 90s boom and all that but was kept sheltered away from the world after the age of 12 so i never got to watch videos and as a result never got into the habit.

after having sort of a midlife crisis and realizing i had always wanted to just skate i started watching vids and the only thing i can tell you is that watching full videos matters because your mind soaks up shit you don't even notice. like after watching a lot of videos for hours my stance is somehow improved. it leaves impressions

i really don't think it hurts skating at all (ig) if anything it helps us all get connected and strengthens the fabric of the skate culture, sounds cheesy but this cheese stands alone
even the steven

chrisskates808

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2021, 05:04:48 PM »
Can’t standing a lot of edits especially when trap musics are overused. Glad I deleted social media to get away with those things

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2021, 06:41:49 AM »
Enhanced the local scenes, but hurt the industry. A lot harder to use personality to sell product when it’s easy to see how basic most pros are.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 04:23:40 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »
Before Ig I loved watching videos with my friends together. Even with normal full lenghts this doesnt really happen anymore. One guy got the video and everyone was meeting at his house to watch together before or after the session. It was so much fun to discuss the stuff in real life and in real time.

Another thing I remember is my local skateshop had a cheap o small tv in his shop window and played skate videos when it was closed. Going home from the park and stopping by to peep a little was also super cool. Of course we watched all the stuff in the back of the shop on a couch as well. The owner made enough money that didnt mind us hanging out and watching on rainy days.

Sorry for the nostalgia trip that´s not too much connected to instagram but in the sense of community these days were just better.

newguy

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2021, 12:29:00 PM »
Before Ig I loved watching videos with my friends together. Even with normal full lenghts this doesnt really happen anymore. One guy got the video and everyone was meeting at his house to watch together before or after the session. It was so much fun to discuss the stuff in real life and in real time.

Another thing I remember is my local skateshop had a cheap o small tv in his shop window and played skate videos when it was closed. Going home from the park and stopping by to peep a little was also super cool. Of course we watched all the stuff in the back of the shop on a couch as well. The owner made enough money that didnt mind us hanging out and watching on rainy days.

Sorry for the nostalgia trip that´s not too much connected to instagram but in the sense of community these days were just better.

I still do this to an extent with my friends. we get together after sessions to watch the new stuff recommended in photos and videos, it’s awesome. You just have to have a group of tight knit people with a similar mindset I guess, shooting the shit over vids and beers is a good time.
For the shop part I wish the ones in my city did this, sounds so comfortable and nice, soaked wet coming back from a covered spot and piling on a busted couch to watch grainy footage from a VCR   :D
Social media isn’t that terrible IMO, it gives you an impression that everyone is stupid and shallow nowadays but that’s not true, those people always were there, social media now gives them a public platform to voice their stupid thoughts. I deleted all my socials because I wasted too much time filtering out the bad from the good, but I did find some incredible people and things through them. Not to mention they totally unraveled the status quo regarding oppressed groups like LGBT, POC’s, sexism and all those systemic issues that need fixing…

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »
Does anyone else feel like a sort of pressure/fomo from social media that if you're not some skate rat in SF or NYC at least once in your life you're blowing it? I been feeling like i wanna just quit my job and go even though I'm not even that good nor do I have a lot of money.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Instagram i probably wouldn't be skating. I saw my first clips of street skating on it and it's been a great source of stoke/motivation/inspiration. Kinda like being brainwashed tho.

On another note, i hate how i know all these pros by name and aspects of their life. It's kinda weird that I know more about some of them than some family?

I feel like my investment in strangers lives might totally backfire on me when I'm like 40. All that time scrolling on insta/skating might have been chanelled into family or career or w/e. Not to say that some of these things are better than the other, just different.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:13:25 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2021, 12:59:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I still do this to an extent with my friends. we get together after sessions to watch the new stuff recommended in photos and videos, it’s awesome. You just have to have a group of tight knit people with a similar mindset I guess, shooting the shit over vids and beers is a good time.
For the shop part I wish the ones in my city did this, sounds so comfortable and nice, soaked wet coming back from a covered spot and piling on a busted couch to watch grainy footage from a VCR   :D
Social media isn’t that terrible IMO, it gives you an impression that everyone is stupid and shallow nowadays but that’s not true, those people always were there, social media now gives them a public platform to voice their stupid thoughts. I deleted all my socials because I wasted too much time filtering out the bad from the good, but I did find some incredible people and things through them. Not to mention they totally unraveled the status quo regarding oppressed groups like LGBT, POC’s, sexism and all those systemic issues that need fixing…

Of Courage I know a lot of my Post has to do with romanticizing the past. Just wanted to state that this was my prime time and it was rad. I never meant to downplay the advantages of the present (of which the lifespan of ig clips obviously is not one). Yes, I m an old nostalgic geezer but as you said in a lot of senses skating is in a better place now.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
Yuto did bro

Cunt is absolutely fucked and I love it
listen to cosmic psychos

cairofosterhome

• Rep: -2
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
I'll tell you when skateboading was ruined. It's when we didn't listen to the Saints of Consolidated when they told us Don't Do It. We did it instead. But it's still rocknroll to me, guy!
Beibel was my guy, is he still putting it down?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2021, 10:34:13 AM »
Used to be obsessed with skateboarding in the early 2000s. (I still am now but just not the same). But was desperate for any skate media. The few videos or magazines I was lucky enough to get I knew every single pixel of from watching them for thousands of hours.

Now I can often watch skating and not remember a single trick I saw ten seconds earlier. I noticed this starting to happen around the time i started looking at Instagram. Might be the new style doesn't work for me or my attention would be going either way I can't tell.

It's double edge sword. I can see all the skateboarding I'd never otherwise have access to but it also means much less now.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »
Instagram only ruined SLAP threads for normal people.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »
Used to be obsessed with skateboarding in the early 2000s. (I still am now but just not the same).

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2021, 12:37:28 PM »
kinda. or pretty much

chrisskates808

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »
I thought most of skateboarding’s legends would be cool people, but Instagram unveiled that most of them are old washed up fuckbois. I remember when I thought crailtap was cool.

Haha the fuck boi part. Glad I’m not on IG anymore and I hate the trap edits

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2021, 02:04:04 AM »
No, as usual skaters ruined skateboarding. Again.

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2021, 06:40:28 PM »
I watched a video of a dude for 10 minutes on Instagram doing the craziest looking tricks that shouldn't even be possible on a skateboard. Then I deleted all my social media, that was about 2 years ago. Except I deleted fb cause some girl posted, "why do we have farms when I can just get food from Kroger's?"

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2021, 06:03:04 AM »
Meh, I felt the same way about videos years ago. So, “yes”, but only if you let it.

Edit: Fuck, social media ruined everything. When was the last time you thought “gee, ‘x’ was so much worse before social media”

chrisskates808

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2021, 11:48:40 AM »
Meh, I felt the same way about videos years ago. So, “yes”, but only if you let it.

Edit: Fuck, social media ruined everything. When was the last time you thought “gee, ‘x’ was so much worse before social media”

Social media sucks. The idea of Instagram cringes me out. Change my mind

dofrenzy

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2021, 05:53:51 AM »
Just checking in as someone who has deleted the Facebook account first, then after questioning why I still had my Insta for a few weeks I had a talk with my wife and blew out the Insta and YouTube as well.

It reminded me of cancelling my credit card (I only ever had one credit card).  I was SO proud of my “Platinum” credit card!  It made me feel so rich and successful!  In short order it was maxed out and I was stuck in a cycle that was taking my dough with monthly interest.  When I finally paid it off after many years and called the company to cancel, the person on the phone asked if I had other credit cards.  When I said no, the person asked, “What are you going do to without a credit card?!?!”

A moment of panic set in that I literally had to fight through and stick to my decision to cancel, but I had to move forward, consequences be damned.

Ultimately I learned the answer to “What are you going to do without a credit card (or facebook or Instagram)?!?!”

I am going to live a better life without them.

To answer the original question, skateboarding is fine.  It’s people who are being ruined.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:18:28 PM by dofrenzy »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
Any tool wielded poorly becomes an instrument of death.

Instagram isn’t all bad for skating, but I don’t like that kids these days are only focused on getting clips just for the sake of it. Like film something worth filming, don’t spend the whole session on some flat spun impossibles over the hip.

The frequency and abundance of skate videos made me numb to most of them. I was actually lamenting the other day how kids will miss out on experiencing a video as a whole. It’s like if albums didn’t exist anymore or something. I’m not saying everything was great about all aspects of that but it’s sort of sad to me that younger skaters won’t have their own Welcome to Hell or Misled Youth.

Where’s that cloud I was yelling at?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes