Author Topic: How do skateboarders in expensive places afford to live??  (Read 2684 times)

bigjosiedog

How do skateboarders in expensive places afford to live??
« on: November 15, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »
This subject probably been talked about already; if so hit me with the link.  If not...
In yall experience, if you have moved to a city (NYC, SFC LA, London, Amsterdam, BCN, France, etc.)  that is relatively expensive, how
have you done it? (Excluding the situations of studying for school, existing family, partner, or you get a check from sponsors etc.) 
Do you all have college graduate jobs?  Restaurant jobs? Hella roommates and you on the couch? Food stamps? Or just penny-pinching shit?

Any input you have I would appreciate!

immagetchuwet

Re: How do skateboarders in expensive places afford to live??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »
rich parents, roommates, good job (most people don't have this), live with your girl for free, crash on homies couch, sell weed, getting paid to skate

typically rich parents or living like a rat

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 01:20:35 PM »
Don't eat out, don't drink, don't smoke weed, keep only a modest selection of clothes that you only update as needed, be willing to live in strange set ups like someone's living room for example.

I realize these things defeat the purpose of living in a city for many but I guess it comes down to what you value.

Of course there's no one way to do it but from my experience these practices are a good baseline for someone working a non-professional job in an expensive city.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:38:59 PM »
Live on the outskirts of the city or the next city over. Theres rooms in NYC in the outer boroughs that are affordable. East bay has the same situation going on but decent rooms are becoming harder and harder to find.

cuckflip

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »
lots of roommates and ebt, not my personal experience but my friends all do this. HyenaChaser has the most sustainable and healthy idea, but everyone I know isn’t that disciplined

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 06:19:43 PM »
The best way to live in expensive cities on a budget is not exactly easy however it can be done.
Dollar store food with EBT cheap pizza slices and Taco Bell

Hook up with as many gals till you find one who'll sport you and love having you loafing around smelling up the place.
Pile up with a homie and rent what is a closet space for super expensive, (I was living in a friends walk in closet for $300) eventually moved into cute gals house for a few years only had to spend my EBT.
Rich kids if you've got it like that and shmooze it with the likes therein you'll be good.

A word of caution though you will want to find a place of your own as living with flatmates sucks, problems you'll run in to.
Theft if it's a flophouse
Resentment if you find something better and bail
Landlords the absolute worse especially if they suspect their property is being trashed
Parties I get being young and having fun but those times you've got to actually work, you'll be woken up by some dipshit.
Drunk girls be very cautious of this as it happened to me once and it severed a lot of friendships, exgf of an acquaintance followed me home from a bar and I told her to beat it! pushed her and told her to get fucked somewhere else.

She forced herself inside, I was already on thin ice with homies went to sleep in my closet and shut the door, 3 or 4 hours later she was snuggling up next to me. I yelled get out and left to sleep in living room next to another dude so I wouldn't be accused of anything, woke up to my friend kicking my feet like wtf dude?!

I explained the situation and how she was like static cling, and wouldn't leave. He laughed like oh ok just checking why were you cuddling with dude?

I got accused of taking advantage of drunk bitch whom wouldn't leave me alone, even though I removed myself from each room and was basically spooning a homies ass, but somehow I did stuff with her?!

I had a long talk with my flatmates and explained things, my friend who I was sleeping next to at the time also confirmed my innocence.  Once the rumor got out some were skeptical but glad my friends had my back.

All I am saying is be careful whom you live with as there are several bad situations you could be in and you'll be kicked out.
Dueces Bitch's

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Step one is to know someone you can stay with that will let you live in their place for cheap/free. A lot of people just have multiple side hustles. I've known people that had money but still ended up shoplifting items to sell to make ends meet.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 05:23:45 PM »
travel light, live light. Like most people said, be prepared to crash on couches and floors, be smart about how you eat and what you eat, hustle boy

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 03:25:26 AM »
Wait, how much are you guys making to live such a budget lifestyle?

I lived similarly when I first moved to Tokyo, cooking most of my meals in bulk, never shopping for clothes, spending as much time on free activities and only attending parties with free drinks or guest listed clubs. I'd work two to three part time jobs, and only jobs that had special perks to it aside from money (free food, free or discounted accommodation, etc).

Just work a full-time job now and don't have to live so modestly anymore.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 06:26:21 AM »
After my halfhearted attempt at “making it” I bailed for the northwest and just worked.

I tried my hand at crab fishing and failed never quite got the sea legs and was a greenhorn for sure.

I said fuck that noise and moved to Floriduh where I could take care of elderly people special needs people.

My life has had it’s ups and downs but I think it’s better than it was living with a bunch of people together.
Dueces Bitch's

Glurmpz

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 01:09:20 PM »
It's not hard, you get a job. Guess it just depends on what your own personal standard of living is. I live in Vancouver, which is one of the most expensive places you can live, and I've never had a problem. Sure, I'd love to have a place just to myself, but I have a nice full house with a couple room mates whom I never see anyway, so I'm paying about 1/2 of what I would to live on my own.

Are you young with little experience traveling/working/living on your own?

KRKD1

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
Use public transportation. Learn to love breads eggs pasta and potatoe dishes. Find the fresh fruit and veg market, haggle. Cut the cord with cable and subscription fees and stream everything over the web. Same with music. Buy everything second hand. You can buy Levi's for 10 bucks at goodwill. Ride shop boards. Stop replacing your trucks wheels bearings so much. Clearance shoe deals. Roommates. Sell weed. If you have access to a decent car, ride share.

Realistically it all comes down to what are you willing to give up. Be it material things or skateboard time. Your either gonna have to work more to live comfortable and skate occasionally. Or work comfortably skate whenever and keep it check to check.

Idk where you at but it also helps finding a little neighborhood on the outskirts that's still in the public transist system. Bonus points if you can find an area code that's on the outskirts of one of the more violent crime ridden parts of whatever meteroplatian area you in. Close enough to effect property value but far enough away you can skate to the store without worrying about trouble.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:47:50 PM by KRKD1 »

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »
Use public transportation. Learn to love breads eggs pasta and potatoe dishes. Find the fresh fruit and veg market, haggle. Cut the cord with cable and subscription fees and stream everything over the web. Same with music. Buy everything second hand. You can buy Levi's for 10 bucks at goodwill. Ride shop boards. Stop replacing your trucks wheels bearings so much. Clearance shoe deals. Roommates. Sell weed. If you have access to a decent car, ride share.

Realistically it all comes down to what are you willing to give up. Be it material things or skateboard time. Your either gonna have to work more to live comfortable and skate occasionally. Or work comfortably skate whenever and keep it check to check.

Idk where you at but it also helps finding a little neighborhood on the outskirts that's still in the public transist system. Bonus points if you can find an area code that's on the outskirts of one of the more violent crime ridden parts of whatever meteroplatian area you in. Close enough to effect property value but far enough away you can skate to the store without worrying about trouble.

All of this is super solid advice.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 03:17:55 PM »
Roommate(s) and job and don't eat out much. It's really not that bad. Sticker shock of the price of living in a metropolitan area wears off quickly once you're settled in. I have it the reverse way now when I try and understand how my friends back where I grew up live on a fraction of my salary, which isn't that much.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 05:25:01 AM »
getting into working freelance doesnt hurt. Props, set work, camera assisting, etc.. Also roommates, rent stabilized apartments, and just getting lucky