Author Topic: Skateboarding Saved My Ass  (Read 2255 times)

Lorem_Ipsum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Skateboarding Saved My Ass
« on: December 11, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Got hit by a car while biking home from work last night, luckily I was able to see it coming and pitched my bike under the bumper while hitting the ejector seat. Landed on my feet and was able to run it out. I attributed this to years and years of eating shit skating and knowing how to fall - if I didn't have this kind of experience/muscle memory under my belt I feel that I would have definitely eaten shit or worse.

Has anyone else had an instance where you were assisted by your experiences on a skateboard? Be it quick reflexes, the ability to intuitively roll out of a fall, etc. lets hear it.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
Re: Skateboarding Saved My Ass
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Nice

Working at seaworld (wack and unethical place) as a water filtration mechanic, we went down into the sketchy pits where all the pipes are

A huge set of metal stairs, wearing steel toe boots I wasn't use to. I slipped down at least 10 (probably 8 ) stairs leaning backwards but staying on my feet to eventually grab the handrails on each side

Nothing compared to a car coming at me situation but skating definitely helped me ride out those stairs on my heels

* if I could do it again on command I would. Felt good
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:55:45 AM by Skart »
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:18:26 PM »
^ hahah that would actually look pretty smooth being able to slide down the stairs and walk away without a slam

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Sophomore year of college, I was walking to class and one foot slipped on a patch of black ice at the top of a huge set of stairs. That one foot went up in the air while the rest of me just leaned back to regain my balance.

Still trips me out whenever I see that same set when I'm walking around on campus.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
i know the feeling you’re talking about

but the opposite of this is that now after years of torturing my ankles, if i step on a little pebble without realizing it .. my ankle will fold up and i look like an elderly person losing their balance .. my ankles feel like their made out of spaghetti now . does anyone else have his problem . happens to me at least once a week
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 03:00:11 PM »
Absolutely, Straight.

Rolled the everloving fuck out of my flicking ankle and was out for about 8 months a few years ago. Malto level (maybe I'm being a bit dramatic but fuck it) ankle roll. Luckily I had just picked up a vx so I could still be moderately active etc.

I found that exercising and stretching the ankle did wonders. Just basic taking care of yourself shit. I still wore a brace for about a year after I was healed up because I was mentally fucked but yeah. Glass ankles for sure, a lovely byproduct of playing with our little wooden toys.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
  I got hit by a car a year ago on my bike.  I didn't know the traffic in the UK and got SMOKED!  It was a glancing blow from the side.  Caved his door in and did the same shit you did.  Jumped over my bike (while holding my skateboard) and landed on my feet.  FUCK I felt amazing.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
People in my life keep eating shit on ice on the ground or just like tripping. I never realized that that's normal, and like most people get arm injuries and whatnot. My roommate tripped up 3 stairs at our college's film building last year and gave herself a black eye, how the fuck do you do that?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »
Yea I got hit from behind by a slow moving van in a snow storm. Launched me forward. Didn’t fall perfectly but considering this thing was not even in my peripherals, 100% came out of no where, I did pretty good. Caught myself on 2 hands and a little knee but never fully went down. Went to work. I’ve had worse slams than that lol.

But yea as others have said, non skaters can’t fall for shit.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 08:09:16 PM »
I fall here and there but, I was at my old job and slipped and just started laughing it off. While some people panicked. While I may not consider myself tough, skateboarding has given me some resistance to pain or at least taught me to roll it out what would be a more serious injury.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
  I got hit by a car a year ago on my bike.  I didn't know the traffic in the UK and got SMOKED!  It was a glancing blow from the side.  Caved his door in and did the same shit you did.  Jumped over my bike (while holding my skateboard) and landed on my feet.  FUCK I felt amazing.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Little wheels big pants era. I couldn't afford the big pants always had burnt wheels anyway.

There was a crazy adult fight. Me kobiakka and Eli Q was with this lady who was with her kids at the Roads home. Huey Roads took a bolder an dropped an n bomb while blasting the woman in the thigh with the rock. No idea why. She was holding a toddler.
She picked up a flag stone and broke it in two on his grill piece.
Blood everywhere he's screaming and ran to get the rifle.
We yelled you're a psycho Huey and dropped our boards to split. I look back and he's right there with us bombing the hill on foot.
Fucking real low riders sucked way too small.
We had no top bushings or old grind king kingpins.
Loose and low. I had to kick like 5 times but we escaped potential death. Definitely a beating from the neighborhood drunk who just tried to kill this woman with 4 kids in tow
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
People in my life keep eating shit on ice on the ground or just like tripping. I never realized that that's normal, and like most people get arm injuries and whatnot. My roommate tripped up 3 stairs at our college's film building last year and gave herself a black eye, how the fuck do you do that?

idk if girls be doing fucking drunk taekwondo in the toilets on nights out or what but somehow they always end up with bruised fucked up legs

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 02:44:36 PM »
That's pretty lucky I've been clipped a few times it was people too impatient to wait or weren't looking both ways.

I do the lean and roll on top of the hood or lean into the windshield so when they stop and I fly off the hood I roll like I slammed but fake it so they compensate my "injuries" usually they ask how much you want? as they know they fucked up.

Well $500 has been the highest I've gotten from some teenager who stole his mum Porsche SUV Please don't call the cops please.... begging not to call the cops usually they finally break me off some money.   

I know it's not honest and frankly it hurts alot to get clipped, but if someone is that impatient to take risk's and accidentally hit someone better pay up sucka as the legal fees alone in civil suits would be a pain in the ass. 

That time I got clipped with a $500 payout I was rolling on what was a walmart bike and I upgraded my whole bike since then.
Dueces Bitch's

AssFlea

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:47 PM »
Yes pay up
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »

Damn man when I moved from Florida to Ohio for college, snow and ice was everywhere, I slipped on the damn ice a few times. Shit took a few times to get used to

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »
I really don't like to fight and probably can't do it for shit, but maybe four years ago I got into a brawl with two dudes who had developed the habit of gathering their friends to squat and party in an empty flat in my apartment building almost every night, one time where they pushed it and basically tried sneaking into my apartment (where my girlfriend at the time was sleeping, so I legit freaked out). Long story short, I'm short in height, still managed to take the first dude down in one hit in the hall of my floor, to which the other (who was a bit taller) reacted by thinking he could just grab me and throw me down the whole set of stairs leading up to said floor. So he went for that but as soon as he launched me off, I already had him grabbed by the collar, so I brought him down with me all the while somehow sneaking him under me, and broke my fall with him like he were a cushion on a fall where my wheel would have caught a pebble. I was unscratched, he, on the other hand, had eaten complete shit. It took me a bit to realize that this motherfucker might have seriously gotten me if I didn't have the skate reflexes, but holy shit if just casually getting back up from that wasn't satisfying.

Just so I don't have to post about that story again, here's what followed for the curious, both dudes got back up, another one showed up from the apartment they were squatting and they started fucking me up 3 on 1, till the cops my girlfriend had called intervened. Won a lawsuit, and those imbeciles basically covered my rent that month. Didn't suffer any real consequence besides some short-term PTSD, being attacked literally in front of my own door and having to defend it fucked me up for some time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:09:45 PM by silhouette »

Rick_Kane

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 08:23:37 PM »
I really don't like to fight and probably can't do it for shit, but maybe four years ago I got into a brawl with two dudes who had developed the habit of gathering their friends to squat and party in an empty flat in my apartment building almost every night, one time where they pushed it and basically tried sneaking into my apartment (where my girlfriend at the time was sleeping, so I legit freaked out). Long story short, I'm short in height, still managed to take the first dude down in one hit in the hall of my floor, to which the other (who was a bit taller) reacted by thinking he could just grab me and throw me down the whole set of stairs leading up to said floor. So he went for that but as soon as he launched me off, I already had him grabbed by the collar, so I brought him down with me all the while somehow sneaking him under me, and broke my fall with him like he were a cushion on a fall where my wheel would have caught a pebble. I was unscratched, he, on the other hand, had eaten complete shit. It took me a bit to realize that this motherfucker might have seriously gotten me if I didn't have the skate reflexes, but holy shit if just casually getting back up from that wasn't satisfying.

Just so I don't have to post about that story again, here's what followed for the curious, both dudes got back up, another one showed up from the apartment they were squatting and they started fucking me up 3 on 1, till the cops my girlfriend had called intervened. Won a lawsuit, and those imbeciles basically covered my rent that month. Didn't suffer any real consequence besides some short-term PTSD, being attacked literally in front of my own door and having to defend it fucked me up for some time.

This is why I own firearms. Fuck skate reflexes, if some junkies tried to break into my place their heads would be blown off.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
Ironic thing is, those guys turned out to be not junkies, but well-off kids (in their early twenties) whose fortune was due to one of their relatives being a local political figure representing my country's most conservative party. The family actually got them to try and sue back, hired a lawyer for them and were shocked when I showed up at court without having hired any, having been to law school for a few years I knew I had this without even needing to argue my case. After they lost, the guys' mother was losing it on the dude in public, in the hallway. I guess the whole family was of the uneducated, yet entitled type, their pathetic attempt at a justification was basically that one of their aunts had just bought a flat on the block and as such, the entire area should now be their playground. The court directly called them imbeciles.

edit - upper floor of their aunt's building ended up collapsing onto the aforementioned (still empty) flat of hers weeks later, after their upstairs neighbors forgot to cut the water somewhere and flooded the entire building, there too I felt some fucking karma. Half of that building is still condemned to this day, they could never even move in.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 08:01:26 AM by silhouette »

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2019, 09:47:34 PM »
Ironic thing is, those guys turned out to be not junkies, but well-off kids (in their early twenties) whose fortune was due to one of their relatives being a local political figure representing my country's most conservative party. The family actually got them to try and sue back, hired a lawyer for them and were shocked when I showed up at court without having hired any, having been to law school for a few years I knew I had this without even needing to argue my case. After they lost, the guys' mother was losing it on the dude in public, in the hallway. I guess the whole family was of the uneducated, yet entitled type, their pathetic attempt at a justification was basically that one of their aunts had just bought a flat on the block and as such, the entire area should now be their playground. The court directly called them imbeciles.

edit - upper floor of their aunt's building ended up collapsing onto the aforementioned (still empty) flat of hers weeks later, after their upstairs neighbors forgot to cut the water somewhere and flooded the entire building, there too I felt some fucking karma. Half of that building is still condemned to this day, they could never even move in.

It's even satisfying for me to read this and know those assholes lost, what a ignorant justification too...fuck those kind of people.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2019, 12:10:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is why I own firearms. Fuck skate reflexes, if some junkies tried to break into my place their heads would be blown off.
   Hope ur practicing at a shooting place pretty often to be lubed up so if it comes to it, you shoot the bad guys and not the famdam.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Dr Dew

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2020, 02:46:36 AM »
Wow, crazy story silhouette. Was exciting and satisfying to read.

I saw an oldish guy (maybe 60yo) slam while crossing the road the other day. I was biking down the street and saw it all happen, maybe 30 ft ahead of me. Dude literally tripped on NOTHING, no rock no stick not anything, and hit the ground like a sack of potatoes, like he made no effort to stop his fall at all.. And then just laid there, bag of groceries spilling down the road. it was really gnarly to watch honestly.

Of course I went to see if he’s okay, help him up. Also a post woman happened to be right there as well and helped too. He said he was okay and we walked him just like half a block to his house.

Man old people are FUCKED!!!!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2020, 04:55:45 AM »
i know the feeling you’re talking about

but the opposite of this is that now after years of torturing my ankles, if i step on a little pebble without realizing it .. my ankle will fold up and i look like an elderly person losing their balance .. my ankles feel like their made out of spaghetti now . does anyone else have his problem . happens to me at least once a week

Same here. My left ankle is very weak even after years of not skateboarding. I would be jogging and a slight change in road elevation will tweak my ankle. Or I will be doing kickboxing, go for a kick and the ankle will give way.

Doing ankle strengthening exercises this year with an elastic band has been really instrumental in me coming back to skateboarding a few months ago. I couldn't kickflip for shit and every attempt hurt my ankle, like there was a sharp pulling sensation. It got better after I started working to strengthen it and can finally do non-mobbed kickflips after so many years of having shit kickflips.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
Dude literally tripped on NOTHING, no rock no stick not anything, and hit the ground like a sack of potatoes

Man old people are FUCKED!!!!

hah

AssFlea

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
On the Orange line to mass ave from Sullivan like basically everyday. I skitch down to the hospital kick over to Topeka and jim Jones.

Not on this day. Were leaving Chinatown and this home bum gets on. Hes fucking got mace. He sprayed it at the stop where needles used to be bla blah medical ctr.

Anyway tgen dude takes out a Rambo knife and slammed it down on the seat next to him.

I tell everyone to get behind me and i got the skate ready. Im going to bounce this cat at back bay and ....

Someone hits the button the train stopped. Fuck. The guy is in full battle mode im captain cave manning out in a cloud of cs gas and these commuters are shitting thier pants trains going no where.

The voice on the box someone says help and the train rolls to back bay anf the take out team is there.

Im going to miss-dose im thinking but it clears quick. I surface and i grab hold of a ride all the way to McDonald's. Jim Jones.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:27:19 PM by AssFlea »
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Brguy

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 02:09:52 PM »
That sounds like she just got punched and didn't want to get the puncher in trouble.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3317
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 05:59:05 PM »
I think about this a fair amount. I have noticed that I tend to step into crosswalks without much fear because, I feel like,  my peripheral vision is pretty keen and I'm quite aware of what traffic is doing while not having much fear of moving cars. People I'm walking with are noticeably more afraid of cars and often remark that I'm "crazy" or some silly thing. I often wonder if this is just due to years of moving around cars on a skateboard and developing a sharp sense of where vehicles are and how fast they're moving.
Would be kind of funny if I'm totally full of shit though and die in a crosswalk someday.

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
Interestingly enough, I was hit by a car again yesterday morning. That is twice in two months. Being clipped in to the bike, I ate absolute shit but aside from a few bumps and bruises, I'm fine (as is the bike). Portland, OR may be a "bike haven" but that's quickly changing due to transplants bringing their shitty driving habits into the city and general lack of attention.

Please be safe out there whether you're in a car or on a bike and shalom to all

Ramrod

• Rep: 7
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 10:57:06 AM »
Interestingly enough, I was hit by a car again yesterday morning. That is twice in two months. Being clipped in to the bike, I ate absolute shit but aside from a few bumps and bruises, I'm fine (as is the bike). Portland, OR may be a "bike haven" but that's quickly changing due to transplants bringing their shitty driving habits into the city and general lack of attention.

Please be safe out there whether you're in a car or on a bike and shalom to all

i say fuck biking/motorcycles because of this..
a close homie of mine took a lot of time off of skating after having a driver clip him.
hasnt been able to skate the same since.
Im in Austin and the fuck-shit is ever-present in this traffic.

I played some organized b.ball in hs though and between that and skating fast,
ive learned to pull my arms in and slide when running and tripping or clipping something while moving fast or running.
skinning up your back / side definitely beats out a broken wrist / forearm

Lorem_Ipsum

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
I feel that, Ramrod. I do thoroughly enjoy it though, and it takes me less time to bike to work than to drive or take public transit. There's also the advantage of if I've had a frustrating day at work I can take it out on my bike and sprint home rather than banging my head against the steering wheel in traffic.

Every situation is different though, and I definitely don't look down on drivers. Just ones that think that checking their instagram dm's is more important than a human life.

My favorite however, is what always comes out of these people's mouths when you're dusting yourself off after getting smoked:

"I didn't see you!"

To which we can reply: "No fucking shit"