Author Topic: how often to you get new trucks?  (Read 4075 times)

Woos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Re: how often to you get new trucks?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
When I change models of trucks, change sizes of trucks or when my trucks are ground down to an extent that it negatively effects my grinds or the hardware is falling off constantly.

The only new trucks that I don’t mind very much are Thunders with Bones Medium bushings or broken in mediums/Hards.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2019, 10:59:10 PM »
When I change models of trucks, change sizes of trucks or when my trucks are ground down to an extent that it negatively effects my grinds or the hardware is falling off constantly.

The only new trucks that I don’t mind very much are Thunders with Bones Medium bushings or broken in mediums/Hards.

So....like often that is?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 03:42:27 AM »
Never, if possible.
I had to put new bushings in the other night and that killed me enough as it is.
Same here but if madness kicks in it could be 3 sets in 2 months...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2019, 04:25:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Whenever some asshole in the Truck set up thread stirs my inner desires.

Waiting for the new ACE trucks.....
[close]

When I was still lurking I'd pour over all of Rob's posts thinking I was accruing untold and vast knowledge (and wasting a decent amount of cash in the process)....then he started talking about mini-logos and the jig was up.
[close]

I have been rocking Mini Logos various setups for 5 years. I have both 8 and 8.38, and they are what I use most often when I am skating those size boards.  Good stuff.

No shade intended. A better way to say it, I knew then Rob would find the best, most incomparable aspects of whatever trucks he happened to see that day. I know he means well, but goddamn, rabbitholes within rabbitholes. 

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2019, 04:31:33 AM »
4-5 years or when I wanna try something new . I can’t grind for shit and weigh like 110 though

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2019, 05:20:57 AM »
i try not to, i love how worn down trucks look, i've been on a set of 44s for a year now and they still have a lot of life left so i'm hyped on that, i'll try to hit the axle on them. i usually get new trucks when the axles are stripped as fuck and i can't get the nut on or when they break (obviously).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:23:37 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2019, 06:52:01 AM »
Nothing wrong w the trucks I have now but interested in trying axle sizes I don’t have like venture 6.1

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
Just before I go through to the axels I get new ones.  That way I can piece together a set up to sell or give away.  I think it's from skating that sharp angle iron because I go through thunders like once a year....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:37:49 PM by j....soy..... »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
I’ve tried and gotten rid a few trucks I didn’t like in a matter of weeks but for the most part I’ve ridden all of my trucks for years.

If I’m only counting trucks I’ve ridden for longer than a month, it’s less than a dozen pairs in 30+ years.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Whenever some asshole in the Truck set up thread stirs my inner desires.

Waiting for the new ACE trucks.....
[close]

When I was still lurking I'd pour over all of Rob's posts thinking I was accruing untold and vast knowledge (and wasting a decent amount of cash in the process)....then he started talking about mini-logos and the jig was up.
[close]

I have been rocking Mini Logos various setups for 5 years. I have both 8 and 8.38, and they are what I use most often when I am skating those size boards.  Good stuff.
[close]

No shade intended. A better way to say it, I knew then Rob would find the best, most incomparable aspects of whatever trucks he happened to see that day. I know he means well, but goddamn, rabbitholes within rabbitholes.

It is I, Rob, the truck thread mad man

I get new trucks when I notice a redesign or need to try out what’s up

Like recently when I bought some regular thunder 148 to replace the ones that got bent trying to skate a bank next to the street where my 1 of top 3 trucks got ran over, but as I lurked for another set of 148 I noticed that the new batches were smoother and cleaner and most of all, the base plates now have the thunder word logo slanted. My madness skyrocketed finding out that to notice if you had a really recent batch just look at the thunder font and if it’s the classic ac dc rock style font then it’s old, but if it’s the new italics slanted style it’s of the newest batches

Any ways as of late to add to my new trucks to try I have gotten a set of

Ace 44- cause I bought the classics 44 when they first came out and compared to the newest set I got 1 month ago the casting and finish and mold get better as they progress

Thunder team 148- cause my first set got bent and they have a really refreshed batch

About to get a new set of the mini logo 8.38- cause now the horrendous logo they had on the hangar is gone and I’m missing how low and centered they felt and the addition of madness finding out how much changing to quality pivot cups helps, so gonna grab a set and some riptides and see how that goes

I’m telling you people who are biased and close minded

The mini logos might look like the lame ass nerd but honestly is the coolest person you’ll meet and get to know

They’re odd but man they just work, they kinda remind me of those real low pro decks

How center of gravity they’re supposed to be, you just get more feeling and pop   
yes

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 11:43:09 AM »
Rob riffing on trucks like Jack kerouac "and the letters skewing crazy, mad baseplates of single forge provenance" I like it a lot.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2019, 08:31:10 PM »
Just ordered 4 sets of venture worrest 5.8, should hold me for awhile.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »

I am so jealous.
Just the knowing your truck.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2019, 08:39:33 PM »
Rob riffing on trucks like Jack kerouac "and the letters skewing crazy, mad baseplates of single forge provenance" I like it a lot.

I wish I could gnar thee for that.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2019, 08:44:09 PM »

Just scooped up the Caleb Barnett 5.8's. Ventures are settling into being my new home, quite happy with them.

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Way too often. Don't think I've ever gotten to axle on any of my trucks.

It's a sickness!

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lol more than I should be.  Being a gear nerd is one of my favorite things.  You should see how deep I go on skiing forums like Newschoolers.  That shit gets real compulsive.

Honestly though I probably swap less often than most.  I don’t skate nearly as much as some of you.  I recently got into skating again after a gnarly game of SKATE with heroin over the last few years so I’m a little frustrated with the fact that I was better as a preteen than at 25 years old.  Doesn’t matter though I guess... the last 2.5 years off dope have been better than most days when using.  I should probably blame that instead of my trucks and board size but you know how it is.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2019, 03:50:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lol more than I should be.  Being a gear nerd is one of my favorite things.  You should see how deep I go on skiing forums like Newschoolers.  That shit gets real compulsive.

Honestly though I probably swap less often than most.  I don’t skate nearly as much as some of you.  I recently got into skating again after a gnarly game of SKATE with heroin over the last few years so I’m a little frustrated with the fact that I was better as a preteen than at 25 years old.  Doesn’t matter though I guess... the last 2.5 years off dope have been better than most days when using.  I should probably blame that instead of my trucks and board size but you know how it is.
Nice to read you're doing better man.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »
Only when needed, I prefer to keep them as long as I can, I've had my current ones a year and a half at this point their better then ever.