Author Topic: Indy Exodus  (Read 12975 times)

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Indy Exodus
« on: December 12, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
Had a smaller version of this posted in the Ace thread, but it's not Ace specific, so here we are.

Thought I'd compile the list of riders who've bailed on Indy in the last little while. If anyone wants to add to it, have at it (just throw an insta link or whatever confirming).

While Indy has a massive team regardless, I figured the amount of defections recently is still notable. And hopefully having it all in one place might bring to light whatever's driving the trend.

Recent:

Nick Boserio - Indy to Ace (still sponsored by NHS/OJ?)
Max Palmer - Indy to Ace
Andy Roy - Indy to Ace
Grosso - Indy to Ace
AO - Indy to Ace
BA - Indy to Ace

Bobby Worrest - Indy to Venture
Kader - Indy to Venture
Vincent Touzery - Indy to Venture
Eddie Cernicky - Indy to Venture
Pat Burke - Indy to Venture
Tyler Bledsoe - (Thunder to) Indy to Venture
Duffel - (Venture to) Indy to Venture

Donovan Piscopo  - Indy to Thunder
Soy Panday - Indy to Film

Unknown time within the last 1-2 years:

Chris Jones - Indy to Thunder
Aaron Herrington - Indy to Thunder
John Rowe - Indy to Venture
John Devine - Indy to Venture

Lenny the Fatface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Re: Indy Exodus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 05:51:35 PM »
Has the quality dropped that badly?

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 06:01:49 PM »
I didn’t know BA left.

Although this happened way before the manufacturing issues. Koston left Indy for Thunder?
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:04:26 PM »
nhs tryin to flex in dlx kinda back fired, no?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 06:07:45 PM »
Has the quality dropped that badly?

Most people here in the Shoes/Gear forum don't think so. I've had two sets since the switch. Cleaner casting (although I think they look a little too polished) and better stock bushings if anything.

Edit: the only pro I've seen disparage the move to China was John Devine on his instagra. But all in all, it does not appear to be related to the manufacturing locale.

I didn’t know BA left.

Although this happened way before the manufacturing issues. Koston left Indy for Thunder?

Very recent. His most recent board pics on insta show setups with Aces. And Koston never actually rode Indy but had several sig trucks. This was actually a huge reason Joey T left Indy to start Ace. He was turned off by the idea of sidelining longtime riders for names (Koston always rode Thunders regardless).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 06:09:30 PM by palelight »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 436
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 06:53:44 PM »
Indy’s always had that “you should be honored to ride for us” type attitude, frat boy shit really. From what I hear they only pay the dudes with signature gear. Right now they have Milton, GT, Reynolds, Wes, Joslin, and Evan Smith trucks out.

All the dudes bailing probably leaving to make some money. Even if it’s just a little, more photo incentive, an actual check. Bobby leaving to get a signature truck, Bobby deserves to have his name on anything he wants. I’d be interested to see venture sales numbers in the 6 weeks after Bobby dropped that video.

Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
Indy’s always had that “you should be honored to ride for us” type attitude, frat boy shit really. From what I hear they only pay the dudes with signature gear. Right now they have Milton, GT, Reynolds, Wes, Joslin, and Evan Smith trucks out.

All the dudes bailing probably leaving to make some money. Even if it’s just a little, more photo incentive, an actual check. Bobby leaving to get a signature truck, Bobby deserves to have his name on anything he wants. I’d be interested to see venture sales numbers in the 6 weeks after Bobby dropped that video.

Agreed. I still think something went down with restructuring. I don't think it's a coincidence this happened so soon after Jeff Kendall took over at NHS and a bunch of new brand and team managers were brought on board.

The one I'm most interested in is Boserio. He was quite aligned with NHS. Several signature OJ wheels, featured in a lot of videos and ads for them. Seemed like he had the most to lose bailing, and he did it quietly (although he's got those Nike cheques, so maybe not much of a big deal). 

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
Noticed a lot of the gx1000 riders have switched to venture too on recent insta posts.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 07:25:06 PM »
Noticed a lot of the gx1000 riders have switched to venture too on recent insta posts.

Any specific names? I'll do the nerd work.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »
Thunder are still made in the US, yes?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 07:44:51 PM »
For now they appear to still be made at Ermico. Is Ermico still in SF or moving to TJ? Also, there hasn't been a Made in USA stamp on Thunders for awhile but that might be due to foreign made components...

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
On mobile so I can’t post a photo right now. Venture IG story has a Kader signature truck.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
On mobile so I can’t post a photo right now. Venture IG story has a Kader signature truck.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks Bubblegum!

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2019, 08:20:38 PM »
i think it is just money, maybe new management cut money that was going to skater who do have signature trucks. I think some of the old guys (eg Grosso) though might have switched because Ace is made closer to the way old Indy's were and maybe theres some personal ties with the guys running Ace - who use to be at Indy.

i've bought some recent Indy's...not sure if they are made in China, but i have felt no difference at all...but i aint no pro.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any specific names? I'll do the nerd work.
biggreendads (Jeff?) was putting a pair on his board in the latest gx1000 post, and Matt Finley was using them on their New York trip.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 08:50:09 PM »
i think it is just money, maybe new management cut money that was going to skater who do have signature trucks. I think some of the old guys (eg Grosso) though might have switched because Ace is made closer to the way old Indy's were and maybe theres some personal ties with the guys running Ace - who use to be at Indy.

i've bought some recent Indy's...not sure if they are made in China, but i have felt no difference at all...but i aint no pro.

Were they new trucks? I bought hollow 139 lows from skate warehouse during their Black Friday sale since hard to find lows now, and they are being discontinued and replaced by mids next year.

Maybe they don’t make any new lows so it could be an old stock from them. They still say made in the USA.

I think saw the new trucks (standard) on the bottom just says imported parts (bushings, washers, etc). I don’t remember if mentioned being made in the USA still.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 09:24:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Were they new trucks? I bought hollow 139 lows from skate warehouse during their Black Friday sale since hard to find lows now, and they are being discontinued and replaced by mids next year.

Maybe they don’t make any new lows so it could be an old stock from them. They still say made in the USA.

I think saw the new trucks (standard) on the bottom just says imported parts (bushings, washers, etc). I don’t remember if mentioned being made in the USA still.

I bought Indy 149's in Feb. 2018 with a hanging tag reading "Made in China." So it's been a while. Indy/NHS got dinged for misleading labelling, stamping trucks with "USA" when they didn't use domestic product. Which is why DLX don't stamp anymore despite still pouring at Ermico, hardware is sourced from overseas/Mexico. Also, forged plates have always been made in China. They simply never had that setup at Ermico. 

Could be money. But NHS certainly isn't hurting for it. Buying licensing agreements for Star Wars products is not a cheap endeavour.

The protectionist angle doesn't really wash. There's been zero evidence of any pro coming out saying "I left Indy cause they now pour in China," I mean, Ace has always been made in China so...

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 09:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i bought a pair of 149 hollows last month...i think it says the same thing...imported parts made in USA.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i bought a pair of 149 hollows last month...i think it says the same thing...imported parts made in USA.

Checked my receipt, this was from a set bought in July 2018. If you bought Indy's that say USA anywhere, they're old stock. The fact Indy has moved to China is a done and dusted point, there's been at least 3 separate threads about it.

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2019, 12:18:52 AM »
imagine most truck companies dont pay riders outside ads or signature gear?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 01:00:04 AM »
Indys just don't turn properly. I think most of the pros just switched cause they weren't making money anyways. So they just want something shipped to their door that actually turns...

I can't see any of the paid riders switching though...
support your local ramp-tramp

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2019, 01:20:41 AM »
Just a thought. What if some ppl didn't leave, but instead they got shown the door or dropped to flow?

I think the older tag used to say something like, "assembled in US from domestic and imported components"

https://sfosb.org/sites/default/files/Legacy%20Business/SBC%20Hearings/Item%203e.%20LBR-2016-17-033%20Ermico%20Enterprises.pdf
Weird place to see this much Ermico/DLX history
The Chinese guys in that pic don't paint a good story

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2019, 01:45:03 AM »
imagine most truck companies dont pay riders outside ads or signature gear?

The same would be for a wheel company too? Or any hardgoods. Like those who get signature bearings and hardware.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2019, 01:57:30 AM »
Just a thought. What if some ppl didn't leave, but instead they got shown the door or dropped to flow?

Very possible. But there's some folks who definitely would not have, Kader, Touzery, Boserio, Worrest, Piscopo. All still relevant and marketable.   

I think the older tag used to say something like, "assembled in US from domestic and imported components"

They did for a brief period. They got fined(?) for stamping their trucks "USA" however and had to drop that and add the extra info on the tag.

https://sfosb.org/sites/default/files/Legacy%20Business/SBC%20Hearings/Item%203e.%20LBR-2016-17-033%20Ermico%20Enterprises.pdf
Weird place to see this much Ermico/DLX history
The Chinese guys in that pic don't paint a good story

In what way?

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2019, 02:34:40 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5_gDbND0O0/?igshid=1nliyl4yztovg
Venture with another power move. Don’t know if pat was ever fully on Indy but venture has definitely made investments into marketing to traditionally indy type skaters.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2019, 03:01:40 AM »
Most likely is a money thing. I had USA and China made Indy's and I couldn't tell a difference quality wise besides the Chinese one having a nicer touch feeling.
Comes to my mind that maybe the old Indy look might been a factor or (hopefully) people who didn't felt supported by Indy wanted to show love to sth new that might become a respectable brand.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »
I didnt watch it, but I have seen Indy still rep 1010 just last year. Wouldn't surprise me if some dudes left because they wouldn't just drop his dumb ass.

He was in a video from april 2018 on the official indy youtube. lame
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 04:02:15 AM by os89 »

7th Chamber

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 04:06:04 AM »
I didnt watch it, but I have seen Indy still rep 1010 just last year. Wouldn't surprise me if some dudes left because they wouldn't just drop his dumb ass.

He's riding Aces now.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 04:12:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He's riding Aces now.

Yea I guess I'm talking over the course of this past year or so, before they stopped backing him. Also ace have never promoted him, hes just riding them I'm sure.