Author Topic: WKND - Death Dance  (Read 12743 times)

toaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: WKND - Death Dance
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »
needs more death... lens!

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 12:11:00 AM »
the wknd video and the slave video paired nicely

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watch any old video from the 90s and the filming is the same as this if not worse
[close]
The thing is, it is about to be 2020 and we don't have to film like this anymore.
[close]
I didn’t even notice how bad it was till after I read this thread but every long lens clip is filmed the same. Everything else about the vid is awesome tho! Who can tell me the name of the first song?
[close]
Joe’s garage by Frank Zappa

GX1000's "Roll Up" had "Uncle Remus", I can't remember who but someone else used "Peaches en Regalia" as well recently, Quasi used "Sleeping In a Jar" for their "Mother" video and now "Joe's Garage" in WKND's "Death Dance".

It's nice seeing Zappa's music getting recognition for being usable in skate videos.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »
Haven't really heard anyone's comments about the set pieces. I thought they were pretty sick. The intro and the Tokyo one. Lot of work went into them. Really love this video. Reminds me of something I would have cut together for my friends. That's a nice feeling to have in skateboarding. Really liked the slow dance in the middle of it.

The randoms like the guy smoking a joint after Gordy's 50-50 and the other dude smoking throwing the horns on the electric board were awesome.

Salomon - "If you're watching this...I died.

Also gotta add that there are some legit amazing shot's in the video that aren't zoom in's of feet. Loved the line in Tokyo that starts with the subtitles..

Andrew Considine is always fun to watch. He skates some crazy stuff and his expression's always crack me up. He always looks like he's staring death in the eye. Loved that part where he pole jams, then slappy, then rides down the roughest shit ever.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:13:36 AM by 50mm »

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
Haven't really heard anyone's comments about the set pieces. I thought they were pretty sick. The intro and the Tokyo one. Lot of work went into them. Really love this video. Reminds me of something I would have cut together for my friends. That's a nice feeling to have in skateboarding.
well said,
I liked karsten's little slow dance scene and "zac gracie on paid confirmed", sablone's animation work, and that barrage of hilarious credits in the montage.
(but like most people here, I fucking hated the horrendous legs-only filming)

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watch any old video from the 90s and the filming is the same as this if not worse
[close]
The thing is, it is about to be 2020 and we don't have to film like this anymore.
[close]
I didn’t even notice how bad it was till after I read this thread but every long lens clip is filmed the same. Everything else about the vid is awesome tho! Who can tell me the name of the first song?
[close]

[close]

GX1000's "Roll Up" had "Uncle Remus", I can't remember who but someone else used "Peaches en Regalia" as well recently, Quasi used "Sleeping In a Jar" for their "Mother" video and now "Joe's Garage" in WKND's "Death Dance".

It's nice seeing Zappa's music getting recognition for being usable in skate videos.
I learned of Zappa from Lucas Puig skating to “Camarillo Brillo” my dad overheard the song and told me he loved Zappa and used to play Joe’s Garage with his band. Me and him played Zappa every time we were together up until he passed a few months ago. Not gonna lie I got a little teared up hearing it in this video.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I learned of Zappa from Lucas Puig skating to “Camarillo Brillo” my dad overheard the song and told me he loved Zappa and used to play Joe’s Garage with his band. Me and him played Zappa every time we were together up until he passed a few months ago. Not gonna lie I got a little teared up hearing it in this video.
That Lucas part is one of the GOATS.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 07:00:34 PM »
I liked it, but I seriously cannot wait for this filming trend to be over.

EricLogan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 836
  • the ghost of Turd Ferguson's past
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »
I rarely venture into classic slap and the one time I do it I find a guy getting his dick eaten by a dolphin.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 07:16:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Tim Chadchad
[close]

Gilbert from Fallen

The friend montage was well done. S/O to Tony Hawk's step-son

Great stuff, the filming can be unpleasant but, I'm watching it with my love for the brand.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2019, 02:22:21 AM »
I thought you guys might have been overreacting but thats dang annoying. Don't worry about how the skater actually looks doing the trick, style doesn't exist right? Just straight feet.  So dumb.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2019, 06:52:12 AM »
I thought you guys might have been overreacting but thats dang annoying. Don't worry about how the skater actually looks doing the trick, style doesn't exist right? Just straight feet.  So dumb.
The one that gave me that feeling bad was that straight handicap rail the skated that was bent up at the end. Someone 50-50 back 180 out and I wish I could see how they fucking did it.

Again love this video. Watching it again at 6am before I return to work from the flu. Good times.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2019, 07:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The one that gave me that feeling bad was that straight handicap rail the skated that was bent up at the end. Someone 50-50 back 180 out and I wish I could see how they fucking did it.

If they filmed it like an oxygen breathing human being, you would remember who it was and not have to resort to "someone."

CreepySweaty

• Rep: 60
  • i am mitchie brusco i have done the 1080
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed this whole video.  There were maybe 40-130 too many Fat Bill Zooms.... but I dug the video for the skateboarding,editing, and the music was rad.

Also, grant has got to be one of the best “fisheye single ledge trick” filmers ever.

Grant for FSLTFOTY

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
True the filming  wasn't  very satisfactory but when choices by project pat came on i was pretty hyped

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If they filmed it like an oxygen breathing human being, you would remember who it was and not have to resort to "someone."
That was what I’m sayin.

Yu Dum

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
True the filming  wasn't  very satisfactory but when choices by project pat came on i was pretty hyped
Same. Hearing any Memphis rap in skate videos gets me stoked, though. Still enjoyed this for what it was. Filming was wonky, but it didn't overshadow the fantastic skating for me.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
Filming wasn't the best, especially knowing what Grant is capable of doing... but besides that, it was really an amazing video. Standout parts from most of the team, and definitely still had that WKND charm. I preordered the hard copy USB, which is so weird to say.

Anyone know the full track list? Also one of the best soundtracks of lately.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1226
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
I only watched Trevor Karsten and johans parts when it was released on thrasher, but after watching the whole thing I can see why everyone’s complaining about the filming. A bit overboard, not only with grant (in this) but everyone that does it in general. There’s some videos where it works, there’s some that don’t (this, baker 4, etc.). BUT with that being said, the humor (in names) with the friends section (also hyped Toby had clips. That’s the boy) and just the Tokyo section in general, it made up for it. Sound track was fucking great as well. And thank you tunasub for the link. Would gnar if I could.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2019, 08:02:10 AM »
Damn I missed the 24 hour viewing period on the Thrasher site. This one going up on youtube?

My local just posted that they will have the USB pack. The talk about the filming does have me a bit bummed though.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
Loved this, both WKND and Passport put out fucking gems. 2019 was a fucking doosie for skate vids. This made me want to skate so much, feel kinda bummed that I didn't buy a WKND board at a Zumiez while I was in Miami (was just hanging with my girl, so excuse the lack of coreness.) Mad props to Grant and his whole squad, this shit was a classic for me.

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2019, 11:13:15 AM »
finally got around to watching this..
think the jump they did to HD was good, but i agree that some of the filming in this went a bit too hard.
i get the technique, but i just don't think it was executed as well a number of others..

besides that, really great full-length, and probably my favorite output of theirs.
I do think that the mix of travel/session and parts was a bit weird though. made it feel a bit disjointed

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2019, 12:02:39 PM »
I slept on this one, link anybody?
I need to see Maalouf and Johan parts.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »
I slept on this one, link anybody?
I need to see Maalouf and Johan parts.

Maalouf doesn't really have a part.
The chillest1

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
What's crazy is Sablone, Taylor, Karsten, Maalouf, Molinar had a combined total of less than 30 tricks, in a 37 min video.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2019, 04:14:55 AM »
how do I watch this
check my music

Statebird

• Rep: 47

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »

Mort Garson

• Rep: 13
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2020, 10:32:10 PM »
Just rewatched and I was hella bummed that they got rid of all the names in the friends section and just moved em to the credits
rad rat's ex-wife

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2020, 09:34:58 AM »
Couldn’t finish it after Taylor Caruso. Really underwhelming. Karsten had a few tricks that were really cool. Did like the editing though.

Does it get better? Give it a second chance?

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs