Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 345341 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #3000 on: May 23, 2024, 06:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe this is better for the unpopular opinions of 2024 thread but until the Nine Club I honestly don't think anyone really cared about Jeron's skating all that much. He was always good and had clips in videos, but it's not like people were waiting for a Jeron part like they would for other skaters that came up in the same period. He always struck me as a better version of Daniel Castillo in that regard. You never went to a shop hoping you could get the new Jeron deck or something. Now that we see the human side of him we elevate his footage way more than we would have in the past.
[close]
I feel like this was the same way for Chico. When he started riding shapes boards and posting on Instagram a lot, it really raised his profile. Before that, he was kind of a bench warmer for chocolate. I’m not saying he wasn’t talented, but he was never looked at in the same realm as Kenny/mj/keenan/gino/sj. I think people are more stoked that he was killing it so hard well into his 40’s

He had a pretty big cool guy profile in the 90s

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3001 on: May 23, 2024, 06:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe this is better for the unpopular opinions of 2024 thread but until the Nine Club I honestly don't think anyone really cared about Jeron's skating all that much. He was always good and had clips in videos, but it's not like people were waiting for a Jeron part like they would for other skaters that came up in the same period. He always struck me as a better version of Daniel Castillo in that regard. You never went to a shop hoping you could get the new Jeron deck or something. Now that we see the human side of him we elevate his footage way more than we would have in the past.
[close]
I feel like this was the same way for Chico. When he started riding shapes boards and posting on Instagram a lot, it really raised his profile. Before that, he was kind of a bench warmer for chocolate. I’m not saying he wasn’t talented, but he was never looked at in the same realm as Kenny/mj/keenan/gino/sj. I think people are more stoked that he was killing it so hard well into his 40’s
[close]

Jeron came out really strong in the early 90s, that intro line in the Plan B friends section may seem like nothing now but we were like woah this little kid is super good and consistent, his output in that era was pretty nutty too, the friend section ,he had an FTC part (first video part with an r&B song) he had a 411 check out and full parts in all the early crailgap videos, I think Jeron was just overshadowed by being on a team that big with Koston, Mariana, Carroll, Howard and everyone else. He's a person that would be a bigger deal had he been on a smaller team, seems like he's totally cool with where he landed so it doesn't matter. Jeron from 93-97ish was a huge deal, dude did a switch varial heel flip over an LA table  and switch nose grind 180 on a handrail.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3002 on: May 23, 2024, 07:28:09 AM »
He wasn't bad, but you can't say that was huge compared to most things his teammates or that the frequency of his footage was huge.

Pintofguinness

• Rep: -5
« Reply #3003 on: May 23, 2024, 07:53:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think he’s always been liked for being a smooth operator and cool character - give me my money Chico is an iconic video based around his antics - but yea recently he has been getting his flowers which he definitely deserves he’s been pro for what 25 years at least

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
« Reply #3004 on: May 23, 2024, 12:01:56 PM »
"So tell us what Yuto is like"

"He's hella chill. He likes eating sushi n shit."

:)

Not for nothing my buddy just worked with yuto on something and they literally got sushi after. He did say he was super chill though , I think he might just be a very surface level person.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -518
« Reply #3005 on: May 23, 2024, 12:08:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Jeron came out really strong in the early 90s, that intro line in the Plan B friends section may seem like nothing now but we were like woah this little kid is super good and consistent, his output in that era was pretty nutty too, the friend section ,he had an FTC part (first video part with an r&B song) he had a 411 check out and full parts in all the early crailgap videos, I think Jeron was just overshadowed by being on a team that big with Koston, Mariana, Carroll, Howard and everyone else. He's a person that would be a bigger deal had he been on a smaller team, seems like he's totally cool with where he landed so it doesn't matter. Jeron from 93-97ish was a huge deal, dude did a switch varial heel flip over an LA table  and switch nose grind 180 on a handrail.

I do think it comes down to age - cause the points you made about being overshadowed is my experience having started skating around 2000 and really getting into the culture around 03 . Girl and chocolate to me was Koston and Howard and carrol and like Marc Johnson and then the ams with P.rod and Eldridge. The rest of crailtap at the time was basically old boring dudes to me cause it was all the 90s dudes who were still on but about quit like mulder and Gavin-  jeron and Chico got firmly lumped into that category for me.

Also we didn’t have YouTube for another few years so you didn’t have easy access to go back and see how hard all these dudes ripped cause it’s not like a copy of 90s vids were readily available to a ten year old 2 hours from a decent skate shop.

PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3006 on: May 23, 2024, 02:35:32 PM »
Very hyped on them trying to pressure Cehpas into singing The Hours by Beach House
(Cool Trick GIF)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3007 on: May 23, 2024, 06:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I think that Jeron had first part in the bLind section of Virtual Reality, FTC Finally, Goldfish, Mouse, and the Girl section in Las Nueve Vidas De Paco all for a reason. From 93-97 he was killing it. After that I think he was much more low key but 4 years is not a bad run at all. Plus he had some standout clips in the Yeah Right montage. The manual to fs flip out at USC, the two switch tricks over the grate at Flushing Meadows, and the switch 360 flip off the propped up tile over the can were lovely.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #3008 on: May 23, 2024, 07:03:48 PM »
Manual to frontside flip seems absolutely impossible. Always liked his Skate More part too, pretty sure when I was on the All My Skate Videos pod we all agreed Jeron’s part was one of the better aging parts.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 392
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #3009 on: May 23, 2024, 08:47:45 PM »
Man I am so fucking tired of non-answers in the rapid fire. I understand having an ongoing career and not trying to ruffle feathers in the industry but Jesus fucking christ at least throw out a softball answer like Monsanto for worst company or name one that doesn't exist anymore? You're telling me you can't say "posers" for worst style or some shit??? I hate it when people are like "bad vibes" or "cops" for last person on the sesh but at least it's a fucking answer goddamn. I'm never one to complain about things being too soft bc that's venturing into old man yells at cloud territory but it honestly has felt soft as baby shit lately.

Sorry for the rant, Ish interview was good otherwise aside from feeling too short, he seems like a really funny guy and I wish they got more out of him.

Gonna listen to the rest of the episode now.

EDIT: Cephas going "I can hear you from the other room bitch nigga" is one of the funniest things he's ever said on the pod oh my fucking GOD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 09:00:59 PM by planman »

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

BeAWitness

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3010 on: May 23, 2024, 09:05:53 PM »
This was only random skater i’ve got right so far. Lizard tattoo was a dead giveaway if you’ve seen the Epicly Laterd

Free hat

« Reply #3011 on: May 23, 2024, 10:11:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mmmm idk about this one, man. Chico has been a style god long before his posts on IG let a bunch of newer kids know what time it is. Calling him a “bench warmer” is kinda wild. Remember too that ads and photos in magazines were a huge thing back then. They may not have had a ton of footage comparatively but back in the 90’s/ealy 2ks you’d see their names all over the place 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
« Reply #3012 on: May 23, 2024, 11:05:56 PM »
I can see it if your first skate video was ‘yeah right’….also there were a lot less vids and naturally a lot of people grew to appreciate the lower key skaters….

cornman

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3013 on: May 23, 2024, 11:37:42 PM »
I have a feeling that Atiba is going to be an episode, if not the finale of this season given the Vans, sports, and past guest connections. Also probably has crazy podcast ass stories.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #3014 on: May 24, 2024, 09:34:51 AM »
Man I am so fucking tired of non-answers in the rapid fire. I understand having an ongoing career and not trying to ruffle feathers in the industry but Jesus fucking christ at least throw out a softball answer like Monsanto for worst company or name one that doesn't exist anymore? You're telling me you can't say "posers" for worst style or some shit??? I hate it when people are like "bad vibes" or "cops" for last person on the sesh but at least it's a fucking answer goddamn. I'm never one to complain about things being too soft bc that's venturing into old man yells at cloud territory but it honestly has felt soft as baby shit lately.

Sorry for the rant, Ish interview was good otherwise aside from feeling too short, he seems like a really funny guy and I wish they got more out of him.

EDIT: Cephas going "I can hear you from the other room bitch nigga" is one of the funniest things he's ever said on the pod oh my fucking GOD
ave called out dollin pretty good and patrick prahan went hard on berra. I know that almost seems like a cop out but he really aired him out

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #3015 on: May 24, 2024, 11:34:52 AM »
Gotta say hard agree on the overuse of cop-out answers or straight up refusal to come up with anything. Beyond milquetoast. Jeron was the worst with his answer to worst style. “Man, there’s a lot of bad styles out there but I’m too nice to say who man…” such a bullshit response.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #3016 on: May 24, 2024, 11:44:40 AM »
I agree too but i think to really get those hard hitting roasts they need some bitter ex pros who don’t care one bit about the industry or which skaters they offend. Now that the bunt is pretty big time they’re getting more high profile guests. This season has been great tho, putting the clips in adds a lot to it

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #3017 on: May 24, 2024, 04:35:20 PM »
I feel that switching to the YouTube side of things will cause a lot of people to hold their tongues. It’d be cool to go back with old episodes with the clips they refer to…

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3018 on: May 24, 2024, 07:55:40 PM »
Manual to frontside flip seems absolutely impossible. Always liked his Skate More part too, pretty sure when I was on the All My Skate Videos pod we all agreed Jeron’s part was one of the better aging parts.

Skate More was one of the first videos I saw that, and seeing dude at a Matix demo solidified his legend status for me

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

1xz5h

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3019 on: May 25, 2024, 03:05:29 PM »
KB best ep

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1700
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #3020 on: May 25, 2024, 03:35:30 PM »
Chico is getting better with age. He is ripping harder than ever.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

CarcassToss

• Rep: 70
« Reply #3021 on: May 25, 2024, 06:16:01 PM »
This made me think about when parts started being placed more strategically in videos. We often think first part means something now, but when did it become that way? Last part of course makes sense as a finale and I have nothing to prove this but I remember ffwding through a lot of first parts (including Goldfish).

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #3022 on: May 26, 2024, 04:12:54 AM »

"Old man yells at a cloud" territory hahaha. Never heard that before and lol'ing right now.

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #3023 on: May 26, 2024, 06:30:26 AM »
This made me think about when parts started being placed more strategically in videos. We often think first part means something now, but when did it become that way? Last part of course makes sense as a finale and I have nothing to prove this but I remember ffwding through a lot of first parts (including Goldfish).

I’d guess first part said something major after Questionable?

But also even Video Days starts out with a bang
p-shuvs and v-flips

Keef Hernandez

• Rep: -30
« Reply #3024 on: May 26, 2024, 08:07:55 AM »

Binge watched all the Random Skater of The Weeks last night looking for this, Cepha winning is like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine, explosive. I wanna see him win more just to see his reactions, he's that guy that you lose against at something and then makes you wanna cry with his victory dance. I can't imagine how many times D Jones has had to put him in a headlock over the years. Bunt is the fucking best. The Ted and Alba episodes were so good.

Weededed

• Rep: 231
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #3025 on: May 27, 2024, 06:25:10 AM »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #3026 on: May 27, 2024, 09:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I think that Jeron had first part in the bLind section of Virtual Reality, FTC Finally, Goldfish, Mouse, and the Girl section in Las Nueve Vidas De Paco all for a reason. From 93-97 he was killing it. After that I think he was much more low key but 4 years is not a bad run at all. Plus he had some standout clips in the Yeah Right montage. The manual to fs flip out at USC, the two switch tricks over the grate at Flushing Meadows, and the switch 360 flip off the propped up tile over the can were lovely.
Jeron is a legend, but it's sort of hard to standout when you are on a team with Guy, Koston, Carroll, and Rickk, plus the guys who were already pro when Girl started (Javontae, Sheffy and Gavin) but didn't stack that much footage for Girl. He had a helluva a run, and then bounced back for a nice little second run post with his Skate More part, assorted footage and a nice send off in that shared Pretty Sweet part with Jeron (compared to most of the OG's outside Guy, he probably had the most footage outside Chico).

I think it was Dill on the Nine club pre-Jeron being on it, saying something like when he was turned pro for 101 he couldn't believe it because Jeron was still am. Jeron is the first person I believe Crail ever turned pro, which is pretty legendary given the history of those brands.

Since Jeron is a Lakers fan, being behind guys like Koston, Guy, Carroll, Rickk, and even later additions like McCrank and BA (of long time riders), is sort of like James Worthy being overshadowed in Lakers history by Wilt, Jerry West, Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, Elgin Baylor, Kareem and Magic etc. Still a legend. I'd also Jeron never felt like homie flow like Castillo. Dude earned his pro spot on arguably the most stacked team of that era.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1960
« Reply #3027 on: May 28, 2024, 07:20:29 AM »

oof  :-\

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3028 on: May 28, 2024, 07:29:10 AM »

these guys are fucken clueless  ;D they probably dont even know about the 10k a month

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #3029 on: May 28, 2024, 07:39:19 AM »

Was he with that Baby Scumbag dude that did some sketchy shit? If so yikes. The guests have been very meh this season and kinda last season too.