Author Topic: the Bunt is back  (Read 309295 times)

bluntfullofmid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
Re: the Bunt is back
« Reply #930 on: March 02, 2021, 01:59:10 PM »
Hyped for this Cyrus interview. Let's get spicy
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #931 on: March 02, 2021, 02:27:23 PM »
Lenoce epi was great, had some good stories. Someone needs to find the person with the Js Lapierre signature tattoo lol

lookin forward to dis Cyrus episode

SHEEM

• Rep: 1
« Reply #932 on: March 02, 2021, 04:15:28 PM »
chili bean  8)
i cant stress how important it is to smoke copious amounts of marjuiwnana at every given oppoutryunity

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #933 on: March 02, 2021, 04:27:44 PM »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #935 on: March 03, 2021, 04:47:51 AM »
Of 917

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #936 on: March 03, 2021, 05:26:03 AM »
Had no idea he was of 917
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #937 on: March 03, 2021, 05:34:44 AM »
I assumed we were all 14 years old on here.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #938 on: March 03, 2021, 05:56:25 AM »
Jesus this one really crawls along.

He doesn't make the best guest as far as charisma goes.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #939 on: March 03, 2021, 06:18:20 AM »
Besides Cyrus who else left 917?

Also, the way Cyrus talked about Alex Olson was so funny, "like uh, yea he just isn't very good at communication and no one can ever get ahold of him."

"Yea he didn't come to the video premiere, everyone was seriously bummed"

Alex is a kook. Period

Who would have thought that the golden boy who left Girl to start his own company would be such a bad businessman

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #940 on: March 03, 2021, 06:29:47 AM »
Besides Cyrus who else left 917?

Also, the way Cyrus talked about Alex Olson was so funny, "like uh, yea he just isn't very good at communication and no one can ever get ahold of him."

"Yea he didn't come to the video premiere, everyone was seriously bummed"

Alex is a kook. Period

Who would have thought that the golden boy who left Girl to start his own company would be such a bad businessman

Sounded like they all quit. But other than Vincent & Nik, Cyrus, Aaron Loreth, Max & Hugo were the only ones who felt 'on, on'.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #941 on: March 03, 2021, 06:48:17 AM »
Uh oh

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #942 on: March 03, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #943 on: March 03, 2021, 06:59:53 AM »
Hey Cyrus, I’m a 30 year old dude asking 14 year old
questions.

I like Alex, but damn not going to your own premier? That’s a letdown.

It sounds like he underestimated his influence and name power and 917 requires more work than he anticipated and was kinda over it quick. Although he does have two brands and a “full time skate job” so I could appreciate how overwhelming that must feel at times. But still, hire someone to help out if you need it.

He sounds fried, and had to think really hard about his answers, and was kind of a slow interview. Was nice how open he was though.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 07:16:02 AM by sometimeperhaps »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #944 on: March 03, 2021, 07:16:18 AM »
Alex Olson can really benefit from being completely broke. He treats his businesses as his hobby and thats unfair to his employees.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #945 on: March 03, 2021, 07:24:00 AM »
Alex Olson can really benefit from being completely broke. He treats his businesses as his hobby and thats unfair to his employees.

Dude that’s fried from filming extravagantly produced videos and a falling out with vans left him burnt decides to start a brand where lots of people rely on you therefore digging yourself into a deeper skate industry hole where lots of energy that’s not skating has to go towards work so people can skate while becoming a dj and fashion photographer and finding time to meditate. Busy dude.

Alex Olson ordered 4 naan

nothing's been the since same

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #946 on: March 03, 2021, 07:36:48 AM »
I wonder if cyrus bumps flipmode squad? Would be sick if he did.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #947 on: March 03, 2021, 08:44:33 AM »
Well, this is sad. I can only hope that this outstanding team all find a home somewhere that suits them and that Alex's skateboard career doesn't just stop completely. Shame it all had to come from such a dull interview, not to say Cyrus' skating doesn't speak volumes for itself though.

It's hard to work with your friends, especially if no-one steps up to be the leader. Also especially if the team say they aren't going to listen even if someone did. Sounds like it all got a bit too real. Can only be thankful for what we did get from it though... a surge of Pavement songs in every fucking video
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 08:51:28 AM by GuessAgain? »

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #948 on: March 03, 2021, 09:40:24 AM »
I thought it was an interesting interview even if he has kind of a mellow delivery. Seems to take his skating seriously and has a certain vision of what he wants it to be. Kinda crazy he didn’t start getting flowed boards until he was 20 then just a few years later he was one of the most hyped dudes.

The guy who does that skate analytics site should tabulate the rapid fire responses. Birdhouse/Clive Dixon/Clint Walker are running away with the worst ofs.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #949 on: March 03, 2021, 10:32:03 AM »
I never liked Alex Olson because I thought he was a pretentious douche and got a lot of leeway because of his fuckin dad.  This just adds to that.  People like the idea of owning a business but if you're not gonna have quality control on point, don't bother.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #950 on: March 03, 2021, 12:19:20 PM »
If ALex Olson is not the best communicator, Cyrus speaking at a snail’s pace probably didn’t help the situation.

I was interested to hear he’s from Telluride. Maybe he doesn’t need a board sponsor after all.

newspaperparty

• Rep: 25
« Reply #951 on: March 03, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
I thought it was an interesting interview even if he has kind of a mellow delivery. Seems to take his skating seriously and has a certain vision of what he wants it to be. Kinda crazy he didn’t start getting flowed boards until he was 20 then just a few years later he was one of the most hyped dudes.

The guy who does that skate analytics site should tabulate the rapid fire responses. Birdhouse/Clive Dixon/Clint Walker are running away with the worst ofs.

Would really love to see the percentage of shots fired at clive and clint. I smile every time someone mentions them again cause they literally are the worst

Acky Jacky

« Reply #952 on: March 03, 2021, 02:08:21 PM »
Bennet seems like a critical thinker, which is cool. People remarking on his “pace” of speaking, do you prefer people spaz out when they’re talking? I’d rather listen to someone who calculates what they’re gonna say at least a little bit.
Reminds me of when everyone was clowning Will Marshall for being an idiot, but he actually seemed good natured, intelligent and hilarious. Maybe a bit aloof but far from dumb.
917 had cool art direction in my opinion, and of course the videos are great, but I’m excited to see what’s next and maybe buy some of their boards at a reduced cost.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
« Reply #953 on: March 03, 2021, 02:13:08 PM »
Cyrus did say that Logan took on a lot and other people have said Logan and Robin(if I remember correctly?) so it seemed like Alex at least recognized that he was in over his head and needed help. But he didn’t know how to find people that were actually helpful.

To GuessAgain?’s point, it sounds like Cyrus wasn’t really open to being told what to do but I can get that when it feels like the company is falling apart, drilling the ball on basic things, not giving you any support, etc. Why try too hard for that? If there was a good TM and whoever else in the background who could execute on those little, everyday things, then he and the other riders would probably be more willing to listen to what the owners asked them to do.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #954 on: March 03, 2021, 02:21:46 PM »
Uh oh

Well I hope you're happy, Mister  >:( >:( >:( >:(

It sounds like he underestimated his influence and name power and 917 requires more work than he anticipated and was kinda over it quick. Although he does have two brands and a “full time skate job” so I could appreciate how overwhelming that must feel at times. But still, hire someone to help out if you need it.

I'll preface this by saying I like Alex, don't want it to sound like I'm hating.

It's weird how he gets away with putting out a tiny amount of footage since the first 917 video in 2017 because he's so busy with organizing things with the two brands, but then the brands don't produce very much because he's spinning so many plates, including being a pro skater.

If I had to guess, the money he still makes off of Bianca Chandon and the money he makes from Nike give those projects top priority (totally reasonable) and 917 was a passion project that he doesn't have much passion for any more.

What I really wanted the boys to say to Cyrus was that it's understandable to get disheartened when they're all putting a lot of effort into skating to a really high caliber (especially for a lot of dudes that have other jobs besides skating) and then not seeing the same effort reciprocated on the business end.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #955 on: March 03, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Uh oh
[close]

Well I hope you're happy, Mister  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Expand Quote

[close]

I'll preface this by saying I like Alex, don't want it to sound like I'm hating.

It's weird how he gets away with putting out a tiny amount of footage since the first 917 video in 2017 because he's so busy with organizing things with the two brands, but then the brands don't produce very much because he's spinning so many plates, including being a pro skater.

If I had to guess, the money he still makes off of Bianca Chandon and the money he makes from Nike give those projects top priority (totally reasonable) and 917 was a passion project that he doesn't have much passion for any more.

What I really wanted the boys to say to Cyrus was that it's understandable to get disheartened when they're all putting a lot of effort into skating to a really high caliber (especially for a lot of dudes that have other jobs besides skating) and then not seeing the same effort reciprocated on the business end.
I have a hard time thinking he gives Nike top priority. His footage output is almost non-existent. He seems over it. I like his skating and enjoy his interviews. But, he seems to get burnt out quite easily compared to other guys in his age bracket. Even when he was near his peak he didn't film for Pretty Sweet until like the last 6 months, after not having a full part between that and Fully Flared. One thing to hate the Ty Evans production and pressure, but when you have his name you had many outlets to put out footage in a more low-key way.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #956 on: March 03, 2021, 02:49:33 PM »
Yeah I thought it was a bit peculiar that the reason he didn't go to the 917 premier might have been because he was bummed he didn't have any footage... I don't know. It's very easy for me to sit in my bed and throw stones and say what he should be doing. Being your own boss and running your own business requires self-motivation and time management that I don't think I possess either. But I reckon if I had the availability, the talent and the financial support, I could definitely find time in 2 years to film a handful of tricks.

Acky Jacky

« Reply #957 on: March 03, 2021, 03:02:57 PM »
The curse of the Nakel song during AO’s part in 917-1.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #958 on: March 03, 2021, 03:23:33 PM »
917 news is a bummer, the vids were so fun.  :'(

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?