Author Topic: Soaked in sweat  (Read 2294 times)

woodinbrine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
Soaked in sweat
« on: December 05, 2019, 06:46:34 AM »
Most of the summer half of the year skate alone so I don't think much about this stuff, and I also continually dry a bit in the summer breeze, but lately I've noticed that I'm without a doubt the sweatiest guy at the skatepark. I get soaked in a matter of minutes, to the point where I'm honestly worried I might be a hazard to others if I leave pools of sweat in the transition or whatever.
My last session I rocked a sweatband, which helped a bit. I was a bit self conscious about actually wearing it at first, but decided to just pretend I was Björn Borg or something. I think next time I might even wear one of those wrist sweatbands as well so I can dab some more of the excess sweat from my face. I'm getting good at picking shirts that can get really wet without looking that terrible. A while back a guy I don't really know that well leaned in to give me like a bro-hug when I landed something. I actually tried to pull away, which only made it weirder, man that look of disgust...

I didn't always have this problem, but I spent three-four years taking a medication that had increased sweat production listed as one of the side effects so I assume that might be the reason, along with just getting older.

Anyway, any other sweaty pigs on here? Share drying strategies and stories of sweaty awkwardness here!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
Re: Soaked in sweat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
Definitely a sweaty boy myself. I always have been, and it's not even exclusive to warm weather. Last time I skated outside it was in the 30's and I completely sweated through my  shirt. Sometimes it's a drag but it is what it is. I typically always have an extra shirt with me or just try to always keep one in my car just in case.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
I too am in the sweaty crew, year-round but especially in the summer. My feet, ass, and back sweat the most. Wear  black clothes so the sweat doesn't stand out too badly, and change socks multiple times a day. Keep your feet as cool as they can be.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »
On a session I always have to have a backpack with new shirts socks pants and underwear because god forgive I need to go to the store on the way home and my ass is totally soaked from sweat

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 06:40:13 PM »
Wear baggier shirts and hydrate more. I’ve only sweat through a shirt completely once, to the point of taking it off to wring out

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 06:49:25 PM »
June-Sept I’m like a football coach that just got a water cooler dumped over his head after a big win.

My grip gets soaked from sweat dripping off and my shoes are commonly completely soaked through.

No idea how to fight against its primal fury.  It’s like digging your heels in and trying really hard to get the earth to spin the other direction.  It’s just not going to happen.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
Extremely wet boy here.  It's just how I've been since I was a teenager, my dad's the same so must have a hereditary component, but I have noticed it helps me keep cooler and skate a little harder for a little longer than some people who don't sweat as much.  I live in the desert and get up at around 6 am during the summer months to skate, in large part so I can skate in 90 degrees instead of 105.  Large bottle of icy cold water is a must. I wear a hat and and very light (and mostly open) button-up shirt over a tank or muscle shirt just to catch sweat and to be able to wipe my face on the sleeves.  I have definitely considered wristbands in the summer.  I'm burning up with or without the shirt, but with it there's something to keep the sweat from going all over. 

I sometimes carry a spare shirt with me when it's unbearable outside because nothing else will work after a certain point.  As for drying strategies, not getting damp in the first place is the best strategy, but in a pinch letting the AC in your car or breeze from the open windows blow up your sleeve and into your pits can be pretty quick.

At my college advertising job, there was a cute summer intern who seemed kind of into me.  One time she asked me if I wanted to go up to the top of the parking garage and sit for lunch, so we did.  It was really sunny and crazy hot, and I started to feel my pits getting sweaty, so I tried to put some air between my arm and body to keep things as dry as I could.  Right after I did that, she noticed a single bead of sweat fall from my pit out of the opening in my sleeve and hit the concrete bench we were sitting on.  She said "Wait, what was that, did you spit or something?"  I just flatly said "No" and then there was a tense pause before we kind of haltingly talked for another 10 minutes until the lunch break was over.  It doesn't sound that bad, but 20 year old me experienced it as a kaleidoscopic nightmare. 

At my wedding (to a different woman) I fucking pit sweated through my undershirt, shirt, and suit jacket WHILE USING PRESCRIPTION ANTIPERSPIRANT.  It shows in the wedding photos and everything.  Knowing beforehand how sweaty I can get, my sisters tried to get me to put maxi pads under my arms before the wedding and I refused, either maintaining or sacrificing my dignity in the process. 

swordtechnique

• Rep: -56
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 01:30:11 AM »
When I go for a session (outside of winter) I always bring a extra t-shirt, a small towel, and plenty of water. In the summer I just basically avoid skating during the day and only go out late afternoon or evening. For winter I make sure to dress for when my bodies cooled down, with a sweater and something windproof.  Sweating heavily then cooling down in winter without the proper clothing can lead to a shitty time.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »
I'm definitely the wettest at the spot. I keep extra shirts and socks in the ride and I usually end up with sweat dripping off my hat. I just say thats what hard work looks like.

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 02:52:02 AM »
Another ultra sweaty guy here - we once took part in a skatevideo contest in like 1998 or 1999 and the jury reviewing the videos said "wow, we even had a glimpse of Gershon Mosley in this one" - referring to me, of course...

Tips, that I have found work for me:

- 2 or 3 extra shirts, always save one for the ride home, and change in between at least once if it gets too soaky
- one extra pair of underwear and pants (shorts/chinos, never jeans) for the same purpose
- In case of warm weather - avoid dark clothing when sunny, use tanktops if OK (I'm in my mid-30's now, I have found a few tank tops that are "decent" enough to wear in public. Mostly non-skate brands, but whatever)
- If possible, skate at a spot with a swimming possibility next to it (sea, lake, river..plenty of these in Europe luckily)
- I use a good deodorant (antiperspirant) in the mornings before I leave (also over chest, not only armpits), and a cheap shitty AXE (more smell than antiperspirant) to freshen up after the session - this is particularly good if you're planning on hitting up a couple of beers with your mates, or meeting your wife/gf straight after the session. My sweat doesn't stink, and the second deodorant freshens up surprisingly nicely
- Most important: use GOOD QUALITY t-shirts. Forget about polyester, or too thick materials. It has to breathe - and obviously not sit too tight!

Good luck, smelly brothers.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 05:19:54 PM »
My people
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 981
  • the moon rules
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 02:07:18 AM »

Here’s a look at my sweatshirt after skating on a 40 degree night to give you guys an idea as to what I’m working with. It’s mostly soaked through with sweat to the point that you can make out the graphic on my shirt that I was wearing underneath. I had to stop skating with my glasses on because after a half hour I can’t see out of them. I usually leave a session completely soaked head to toe. Bringing extra shirts, pants, socks, and a change of shoes is mandatory. I also keep a couple cases of water and electrolyte mixes in my car
fuck you bama

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 04:57:44 AM »
I sweat like crazy when doing any physical exercise. My dad’s the same so I guess I got it from him. I’ve fully embraced it. Nothing I can do to lessen it except do stuff that’s less physically straining but I don’t wanna just chill at the spot. I do wear a beanie while skating always no matter what the weather is like. It soaks up the sweat really nicely so it doesn’t get in my face and eyes. I also continually wipe my face on my sleeves or shirt bottom. After a session my t-shirts are completely soaked and so is my ass. I never bring any extra clothes though cuz fuck that. One advantage of this is that I’m pretty much never too hot. I know some people can’t stand it when it’s like 30°C+ outside but I’ve hung out at 42°C for hours without issues. Wasn’t skating then though. But still, I don’t overheat as quickly as most Finnish people do. 😊

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:32 PM »
That sweat stenciled sweater is a thing of beauty, wow

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »
Yes me too. I have always sweat alot. In the summer my chest will look like on the photo (attached below) within minutes of starting the session.

I heart you my sweaty brothers and sisters!

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:18 PM »
I'm just always sweaty skating, I just go shirtless, bring a 2L of water and revel in it