Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69575 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah I kept the bottom cup washer on but I have a feeling I’ll be going with the bones washer on the bottom after I try it out.

Their website pricing is so weird.

CSX-$45
CSX hollows-$60
TiAX-$64
TiKING-$88

???
[close]

That shit makes zero sense. Lol...+$15 to get hollow, then +$4 for Ti Axle, then.....$28 to get hollow pins with the Ti Axle? Ti Kings should $70ish

Meanwhile, skatewarehouse sells the hollows for $40, TiAX for $44, and TiKINGs for $50 lol.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2020, 11:02:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Mixed up the aluminum ATG hangers with the mag baseplates to see how it feels. Would be cool if tensor did something like this themselves, since I just prefer the aluminum grind feel personally.
[close]
Could you describe what exactly you don't like about the way the mag hangers feel

For me it's because they are just so damn light, they don't feel as solid when you grind, might be the lack of resistance coupled with the weight...you know that sound and feel when you grind a curb or ledge with regular trucks? It doesn't feel or sound like that. Less raw/guttural feeling. Still fun to skate and should not deter anyone from trying them out.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2020, 12:15:43 PM »
Good description but I liked that feeling because it made slappies and chunky ledges way easier and lower effort for me. But if you're after the 'raw/guttural' feeling you probably won't get it.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »
Anybody actually knows the sizing of Film trucks?
Saw some 5.5 listed as 8.5 axle and then some 6.0 listed as 8.66"...
What would be the closest to an 8.5 axle they offer?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:35:31 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Saarinotsorry

• Rep: -78
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2020, 11:14:32 PM »
Just set up a fresh xmas complete with Theeve 5.85 TiAX’s. Stoked to try these out, I think these could, dare I say, cure my madness. Turny versatile stable truck with less chance of wheelbite and a short wheelbase/closer to an Ace turn...yes. Count me in.

Yea Theeves are underrated af. I randomly got a set of the csx’s in 2014 and only rode them a handful of times. Learning about wb i became interested in them lately. I have one of those muska reissue prime decks and noticed its got a long wheelbase. Close to 14.5 if i recall correctly so i was happy to try out my theeves again. They feel like a super well rounded truck. I noticed some others refer to them as having a indy feel with thunder stability and i would have to agree. I ditched the top washer as the stock ones were binding. My pair was old enough to have came with bones bushings so it had the small washer already. I look forwars to breaking these in more. Side note i dont think anyone has mentioned, the Theeve hanger design resembles a indy stage 7 which i think is cool.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »

I just got some 6.0, which measure about 8.75.  I was impressed with the quality look of the trucks. Probably won't set them up until summer or later.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2020, 03:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just got some 6.0, which measure about 8.75.  I was impressed with the quality look of the trucks. Probably won't set them up until summer or later.
That's the thing, I've seen 6.0 listed as 8.5, 8.66 and 8.75. same thing with 5.5: 8.125 and 8.25...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2020, 07:54:23 AM »
6.0 = 8.625
5.5 = 8.18

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2020, 11:12:52 AM »
Forgot how good these feel

Theeve 5.5s/8.18" (on a 14.4" WB)
Bones Mediums (bones washer on bottom)
ACE Riptides

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 11:15:47 AM by Xen »

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2020, 11:36:37 AM »
Just got this in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately, I havent been able to skate them as some squats last Friday fucked my back up something fierce. They feel nice just standing on them though! 😂

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
BLK/RAWs? Always wondered how blk the blk was on them

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »
BLK/RAWs? Always wondered how blk the blk was on them

More of a gunmetal.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2020, 07:31:59 AM »

ACE Riptides

What do they do for the axle to axle WB? On a scale of Ace to Venture?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2020, 11:46:04 AM »
Minilogo 7.63 trucks on a 7.75 board.
ML soft bottom bushings, bones medium core top bushing no washers.
I’ve been skating MiniLogo trucks since they first came out 7 years ago. Before that my most recent trucks were thunder and theeve.
First day I rode the ML trucks I was blown away at how good they felt and turned right away. Trucks had never felt broken in that quickly for me and that still holds true. When I get new trucks I toss out the washer and just put the nut back on maybe 3/4 of a full turn passed finger tight.
Sometimes I experiment with bushing like on this set but the stock bushings always work well for me and feel broken in within 15 min.
I’m getting new trucks soon, going to setup 8”ML trucks on an 8” board so nothing crazy.
Curved hanger which is supposed to lock you into grinds but I really don’t know if it helps much since I haven’t ridden any other trucks in so long.

I’ve also skated plenty of the 8.38s and I’ve had ML 8.75 trucks on a 10” welcome board and 9” Minimal brand board.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:39:43 PM by johnes »
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote

ACE Riptides

[close]

What do they do for the axle to axle WB? On a scale of Ace to Venture?

ACE>Theeve>INDY>Thunder>Venture

Here's an axle to axle pic (front axles are as locked as I could get as one nut was loose enough so I could 'lock' the other axle into it).

Both decks are Creature "Horror Series" (the cold/single pressed whatevers - these are the SC 'Wide Tip shapes)

Theeve (L) mounted on an 8.25"x32"x14.44" WB    |    ACE (right) mounted on an 8.375"x32.15"x14.45" WB:

« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:19:41 PM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2020, 03:22:26 PM »
Had a chance to ride the Theeve’s today. I really feel what folks have mentioned about that stable center feeling. It’s as if you’re riding tight trucks, but then you can just bust into a really quick sharp turn or start carving real fast like you’re slaloming (shaloming?) and then you snap right back to center immediately.

At 210lbs I found it impossible to wheelbite with these trucks. Perhaps keeping the stock bottom cup washer helped but I’m using the flat bones washer for the top. I can lean with all my weight and I feel no bite whatsoever as I turn. Even Ace’s with a riser I will feel the bite but not to a screeching halt. I was surprised to even see the bite marks on my board with these because I never felt it once. 

I recommend these to anyone who’s on the fence and doesn’t mind the “less popular” aspect. When really these should be more popular because the casting quality and geometry makes these superior in my book. I say with no hesitation these have cured my madness.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2020, 03:45:20 PM »
I had some CSX, are that the lettering? You know, the cheap ones and they were pretty damn good. Really nothing that I could complain about, super nice truck and it was on the cheap side too
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2020, 05:34:11 PM »
Had a chance to ride the Theeve’s today. I really feel what folks have mentioned about that stable center feeling. It’s as if you’re riding tight trucks, but then you can just bust into a really quick sharp turn or start carving real fast like you’re slaloming (shaloming?) and then you snap right back to center immediately.

At 210lbs I found it impossible to wheelbite with these trucks. Perhaps keeping the stock bottom cup washer helped but I’m using the flat bones washer for the top. I can lean with all my weight and I feel no bite whatsoever as I turn. Even Ace’s with a riser I will feel the bite but not to a screeching halt. I was surprised to even see the bite marks on my board with these because I never felt it once. 

I recommend these to anyone who’s on the fence and doesn’t mind the “less popular” aspect. When really these should be more popular because the casting quality and geometry makes these superior in my book. I say with no hesitation these have cured my madness.

After one skate? Madness cured? Was it really madness?
Congrats

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2020, 05:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

After one skate? Madness cured? Was it really madness?
Congrats

I'm calling lies, there is no cure for gear madness, you can only stem the spread. It's only a matter of time before you're fucking with bushings and pivot cup combinations on your 7th setup that promised yourself would be your last one.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Diocletian

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2020, 05:59:10 PM »
Look, this is the first night in years I can have a full nights rest knowing I am shalom with my trucks. I need all the support I can get. Peace.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2020, 06:21:52 PM »
Look, this is the first night in years I can have a full nights rest knowing I am shalom with my trucks. I need all the support I can get. Peace.

Shalom be upon your tricks and trucks, I'm getting a pair of (purple) CSX this week for $15 just to try them out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
do the film hollows have a hollow axle and are the baseplates forged?

Diocletian

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2020, 08:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shalom be upon your tricks and trucks, I'm getting a pair of (purple) CSX this week for $15 just to try them out.

Shalom be upon you and your future Theeve experience my brother. I can say with high confidence you will not be disappointed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2020, 09:35:52 PM »
Truth be told they've never failed me in the sense that other trucks made me to switch (lower, lighter, sharper, carvier, whateverier) and when I switch back I am cured for a while. The madness just takes over because gear is fun, trying new shit is fun.

They're just quicker reacting Indies with better stability.

I threw them on a board this past weekend after a few months on Ace/Tensor/Ventures and they felt right as rain.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2020, 07:51:30 AM »
Heard lots of good stuff about Tensors, I'm looking for a truck that pops like Thunders but without the baseplate catching on slides.

Anyone have a review on the Tens Flick Lo in 5.25 in Aluminium?

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/tensor-aluminum-low-tens-colored-flick-skateboard-trucks-5-5-raw-black?variant=998332443

Shalom and thank you.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2020, 08:03:38 AM »
Anything good you've read about Tensor is all about the new atg.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »

Yeah, from what I'm aware only the ATG is good, if you want low people say mini logos or theeves are alright, if I recall. Ventures too.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2020, 03:17:36 PM »

Truth. Just look at what Daewon goes through to get his Tensor 10 lows to function correctly :P

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »
do the film hollows have a hollow axle and are the baseplates forged?
I think the hollows are just hollow kingpin but I'm not sure. Baseplates are cast.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »
How much are Film trucks shipped to the US? Eurotings wants $57 for standards and $67 for hollows.
At that price I'm not super interested in changing from Indy. Same goes for Theeve, their pricing is wtf!