Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69533 times)

ultrabra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »
oohhh. Thank you for the picture, Bongwater Mojito.
Happy new year :)

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 56
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
Height should be middle of axle afaik so those look like around 53 mm high.

Yeah, that's strange - been riding Indy Forged Hollows and Ace Classic and Lows before, subjective feeling is between Ace Classic and Low.

(And I did check both sides with measure to make sure hanger wasn't crooked.)

truthislie

« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
Expand Quote
I m really thinking about getting krux because of nostalgia. When I first started I used them, liked them then got another pair. After that I got my first Indys and then Indys ever since.

I have read so much bad things about them not turning (as Sundaynuggets posted above) that I´m kind of afraid it will be just a waste of money....

However, I mainly skate flat and ledges, so maybe its not that important. Still don´t want to tic tac around haha
[close]
They turn just fine, I like mine a lot after years of skating nothing but Indy's.

Thank you, I pulled the trigger and ordered some today. It will take some time getting used to them, but I m really curious to see how they skate  :)

ultrabra

« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wannna test those Film trucks though.
Does anyone know how high they are 51mm? If it is over 53mm i'm out.
[close]

Been on them since February 2019, here are some measurements for 5.5"/145 model, which I have waiting to replace current ones:

- weight 361g
- height 51mm (at least clearly lower feel than Indy or Ace, see attached pic)
- hanger width 143mm
- axle width 210mm
- WB change +2 7/8" (73mm)

Wanted to try something new, and price was right for us Europeans. Had bit problems breaking the bushings in, but after few sessions all was good for me. Turn is good, not as fast as Aces, but adequate. For an old guy doing slappies, works well at least. Baseplate sticks out enough to clear tail/noseslides with 53mm wheels. Easier to wheelbite than Aces, but hasn't really been a problem.

[close]

[close]

But the tapemeasure end plus about 2mm? 51mm?
Does the madness continue :o

oops. Correcting myself. If that end would be taken off, then the tapemeasure would drop 2mm, making it 55mm tall.
Well too tall for my likeing anyway.
I wish venture would do an lower 8,25 truck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2020, 12:18:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wannna test those Film trucks though.
Does anyone know how high they are 51mm? If it is over 53mm i'm out.
[close]

Been on them since February 2019, here are some measurements for 5.5"/145 model, which I have waiting to replace current ones:

- weight 361g
- height 51mm (at least clearly lower feel than Indy or Ace, see attached pic)
- hanger width 143mm
- axle width 210mm
- WB change +2 7/8" (73mm)

Wanted to try something new, and price was right for us Europeans. Had bit problems breaking the bushings in, but after few sessions all was good for me. Turn is good, not as fast as Aces, but adequate. For an old guy doing slappies, works well at least. Baseplate sticks out enough to clear tail/noseslides with 53mm wheels. Easier to wheelbite than Aces, but hasn't really been a problem.

[close]

[close]

But the tapemeasure end plus about 2mm? 51mm?
Does the madness continue :o
[close]

oops. Correcting myself. If that end would be taken off, then the tapemeasure would drop 2mm, making it 55mm tall.
Well too tall for my likeing anyway.
I wish venture would do an lower 8,25 truck.

I think a lot of people were hoping for that. I was.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »

Yall need to learn how a tape measure works. See those rivets holding on the metal end? Notice that they aren't tight and the end is slotted?   Now move the end back and forth.  It moves the same amount as it is thick. If you are measuring the inside of something (or height like this) it should push in and measure accurately.  If you put it on the outside of something it will pull out to the length and measure accurately.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yall need to learn how a tape measure works. See those rivets holding on the metal end? Notice that they aren't tight and the end is slotted?   Now move the end back and forth.  It moves the same amount as it is thick. If you are measuring the inside of something (or height like this) it should push in and measure accurately.  If you put it on the outside of something it will pull out to the length and measure accurately.
Yeah, it's sad how some ppl don't know this lil tidbit. Idk, maybe they never had a woodshop class? We could go easy on them.
But, come on! They were eyeballing the center of a hole instead of using an edge!
I think we need to verify that the person knows how to use the measuring equipment before we trust their measurements.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2020, 10:37:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, it's sad how some ppl don't know this lil tidbit. Idk, maybe they never had a woodshop class? We could go easy on them.
But, come on! They were eyeballing the center of a hole instead of using an edge!
I think we need to verify that the person knows how to use the measuring equipment before we trust their measurements.

In this particular case, I was aware of the measure tape hook movement - it was pushed in. Later today, I might use right angle with millimeter scale just to verify..

Anyway, the assessed 53mm height for Film was a surprise to me, they feel lower.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »

Thanks you damn enablers. Got these for $25 from a friend, keen to try them out soon.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #99 on: January 03, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »
Later today, I might use right angle with millimeter scale just to verify..

Done. 53mm it is.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2020, 01:12:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

In this particular case, I was aware of the measure tape hook movement - it was pushed in. Later today, I might use right angle with millimeter scale just to verify..

Anyway, the assessed 53mm height for Film was a surprise to me, they feel lower.
Yeah. Sorry for blasting you like that. I think I'm just still erked about eyeballing hole centers.
Have you measured both sides of the truck/axle to see if they're a lil tilted?

https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/product/film-full-black-trucks/
And this is just weird. They're saying 51mm or 55mm depending on width

ultrabra

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2020, 01:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Later today, I might use right angle with millimeter scale just to verify..
[close]

Done. 53mm it is.

Thank you.

ultrabra

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2020, 02:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah. Sorry for blasting you like that. I think I'm just still erked about eyeballing hole centers.
Have you measured both sides of the truck/axle to see if they're a lil tilted?

https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/product/film-full-black-trucks/
And this is just weird. They're saying 51mm or 55mm depending on width

Yes. This is the site i foud the 51mm height info.
But i don't really trust the site since they claim the 5,25 is suddenly taller :

Size    Hangar    Axle          Height    Weight            To fit
5.0    126mm    7.56″    51mm    325g          7.5″-7.75″
5.25    137mm    8″            55mm    350g          7.75″-8.25″
5.5    144mm    8.25″    51mm    360g          8″-8.5″

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2020, 02:17:11 AM »
Hasn't film recently (in the last year or 2) produced/released a stage 2? Maybe that has something to do with all of the height discrepancies.

But also, measurements for most things on the internet are iffy in general.

ultrabra

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2020, 02:31:30 AM »
Yeah i think they changed the hanger a bit at some point.

Skatedeluxe says they are 52,5 mm in height, but hanger 8,125.
This is going nowhere ;D
Why is it sooo difficult for some companies to MEASURE their products.

axle width: 8.125" (209 mm)
hanger width: 5.5" (145 mm)
height: 52,5 mm (mid)
weight: 357 g

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/film-5-5-truck-silver-2-pack_p133690?cPath=44&brand_id=606

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 03:14:03 AM »

Thanks you damn enablers. Got these for $25 from a friend, keen to try them out soon.

Edit: they are the 5.0s not the 5.25, a little too small for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2020, 05:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was going to say that those look tiny.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I was going to say that those look tiny.

Getting a refund next week. Thought of setting them up on a smaller Cliche board (7.9") but I think I would be trying to make the best of a bad situation instead of getting a setup I'm more comfortable with.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Diocletian

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2020, 10:02:20 AM »
Just set up a fresh xmas complete with Theeve 5.85 TiAX’s. Stoked to try these out, I think these could, dare I say, cure my madness. Turny versatile stable truck with less chance of wheelbite and a short wheelbase/closer to an Ace turn...yes. Count me in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2020, 05:48:07 PM »
Just set up a fresh xmas complete with Theeve 5.85 TiAX’s. Stoked to try these out, I think these could, dare I say, cure my madness. Turny versatile stable truck with less chance of wheelbite and a short wheelbase/closer to an Ace turn...yes. Count me in.

You won't be disappointed. Funny thing is I almost always turn them when I can't decide what to fucking ride :P - I'll sell off all the others but I've kept my 8.18" pair the longest of any truck I've owned.

Diocletian

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2020, 06:12:06 PM »
I hope not! I can’t afford the truck madness anymore. Ace are like my first love but she broke up one too many times for me to keep comin’ back. Theeve’s could be that trad wife material.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2020, 06:56:15 PM »
Now this is a thread I can get behind!

Expand Quote
Outside of Indy and venture I've only had destructos and royals back in the day.
I really liked the destructos, the set I had was actually pretty carvy; thought they felt pretty similar to Indys.

I remember not liking the royals and the kingpin on one of them snapped not long into skating em.
[close]

There's 2 models (actually I guess 3 now with the 6.0 Squadrons) of Destructo. The D1 is a higher, carvier truck with barrel bottom/cone top bushings similar to Indy while the D2 is a little lower with cone/cone and more responsive like a Thunder. I've got the D2 and I love them, to me they feel like a deeper turning version of a Thunder, they have that really quick snappy response but you can lean into them a bit more before they bottom out or wheel bite. I think one of the best things about them is the bushings... I even ordered some spare D1 bushings to use in my Indy/Ventures because I liked them so much.

As for the Tensor sizing - as bbk said the older/lower Tens models have the weird axle lengths (5.5 is 8.125, 5.75 is 8.375 etc) which is why you'll see them listed that way on some sites. The ATG and Alloys have the standard axle lengths listed on the graphic there so keep that in mind if you're looking for them. Easy way to ID them is the baseplate on the Tens models has a "10" while the ATG/Alloys just have the little Tensor flag thingy. Tens hanger is fatter and more "V" shaped (similar to a Venture hanger) while ATG is thinner and more "T" shaped. Both are ridiculously light. Btw, can someone who has aluminum Tensors tell me what they weigh? I don't think I've ever actually seen a weight for them at any size.

Other smaller brands I have:

Fury - Pretty good trucks but hard to find the modern ones, especially in 8.25. Fairly light and quite similar to a Thunder standard in pretty much every way although I think they've got a slightly less responsive turn.

Theeve - I have TiAx v2 which apparently suffer from some QC issues, although I got lucky and mine are fine. Very stable on center but also really tight, almost unpredictable turn once you lean into a little bit. Kind of a weird amalgamation of a Venture and an Ace, I've found they work best with a mid-long wb.

I also recently got a pair of 8.25" TiHanger axle-less Theeves. Yes, the ones that they want $250 for (I paid about a third of that). They're pretty wild, you can tell how much engineering went into them and there's so little material in certain spots of the hanger that it kind of blew me away. They're super light (but not as light as Tensor mag lights) and super responsive. I think they have some of the smallest space between axles, so they're super nimble and turn on a dime. They don't feel like anything else I've ridden so it's hard to give a good description except to say that I love them. If I had to pick one set of trucks to ride for the rest of my life it would probably be these.

Until you try and grind on angle iron and wonder wtf is going on.

If I never skated angle iron or didn't want grooves, I'd skate them too.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2020, 07:01:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You won't be disappointed. Funny thing is I almost always turn them when I can't decide what to fucking ride :P - I'll sell off all the others but I've kept my 8.18" pair the longest of any truck I've owned.

How about the regular Theeve CSX trucks? And what do they do to the WB?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Diocletian

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
CSX are just the base model truck and the cheapest option. I believe their geometry is the same throughout their whole lineup. Shortest wheelbase according to some other posts I’ve read.

I liked how they came in sealed bags with those little anti-moisture packets inside. And the quality of the truck itself is top notch compared to anything else I’ve seen. They factory tightened the kingpin nuts on pretty tight though, I couldn’t even pull the bottom bushing off, had to grab a wrench. Their bushings aren’t stock bones, and they’re hard. I put in Bones mediums and opted for the Bones top washer instead of the stock cup ones.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2020, 09:36:26 PM »
CSX are just the base model truck and the cheapest option. I believe their geometry is the same throughout their whole lineup. Shortest wheelbase according to some other posts I’ve read.

I liked how they came in sealed bags with those little anti-moisture packets inside. And the quality of the truck itself is top notch compared to anything else I’ve seen. They factory tightened the kingpin nuts on pretty tight though, I couldn’t even pull the bottom bushing off, had to grab a wrench. Their bushings aren’t stock bones, and they’re hard. I put in Bones mediums and opted for the Bones top washer instead of the stock cup ones.

They're making a CSX hollow now I think? The only hollow in the lineup, everything else has a Ti axle and either a solid pin or hollow.

Pulling that bottom bushing off is a bitch, so odd, fatter kingpin maybe? Every bushing I've tried is tough to get on or off. I, too, opted for Bones Meds + Bones washer top and bottom when I run them.

Underrated trucks for sure.

Diocletian

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2020, 09:51:32 PM »
Yeah I kept the bottom cup washer on but I have a feeling I’ll be going with the bones washer on the bottom after I try it out.

Their website pricing is so weird.

CSX-$45
CSX hollows-$60
TiAX-$64
TiKING-$88

???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 09:53:18 PM by Diocletian »

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2020, 11:18:11 PM »

Mixed up the aluminum ATG hangers with the mag baseplates to see how it feels. Would be cool if tensor did something like this themselves, since I just prefer the aluminum grind feel personally.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2020, 11:23:55 PM »
Yeah I kept the bottom cup washer on but I have a feeling I’ll be going with the bones washer on the bottom after I try it out.

Their website pricing is so weird.

CSX-$45
CSX hollows-$60
TiAX-$64
TiKING-$88

???

That shit makes zero sense. Lol...+$15 to get hollow, then +$4 for Ti Axle, then.....$28 to get hollow pins with the Ti Axle? Ti Kings should $70ish

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2020, 11:27:00 PM »

Mixed up the aluminum ATG hangers with the mag baseplates to see how it feels. Would be cool if tensor did something like this themselves, since I just prefer the aluminum grind feel personally.

I was going to do that once my mags grind down if there is still life left in the plates. The mag grind is great but feels off, doesn't feel raw/solid enough.

darkelfdruid

« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2020, 09:24:19 AM »

Could you describe what exactly you don't like about the way the mag hangers feel