Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 69430 times)

Sonny Paluso

Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #750 on: September 07, 2021, 12:39:01 PM »
I'm also on the Tensor Mag Light ATG bandwagon at the moment (just bought a pair of grey ATGs to sit on). 5.75 ATG with stock top bushing and shaved down ACE bottom barrel bushing. Running loose/medium on 8.75 popsicle with 58mm speedlab (prob 56 now). Want to run this on up to a 9.0 with 60mm slimeballs with 42mm width. They turn good and grind amazing.

gabbesucks

« Reply #751 on: September 07, 2021, 12:54:31 PM »
I just need to say that Films are the best trucks ever.

How do they turn? Is it comparable to an Ace turn?

Sacha

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #752 on: September 07, 2021, 02:56:23 PM »
Back on Tensor Mag ATGang...

Is the ATG axle exactly 8.25 or more like 8.125? I’m looking to throw on offset wheels, and am hoping for a slightly smaller axle. The Tensor site says 8.25 but some shop sites measure them smaller.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 980
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #753 on: September 07, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Back on Tensor Mag ATGang...
[close]

Is the ATG axle exactly 8.25 or more like 8.125? I’m looking to throw on offset wheels, and am hoping for a slightly smaller axle. The Tensor site says 8.25 but some shop sites measure them smaller.

The ATG are true to size (8/8.25/8.5); it's the older tensors that were odd sizes: 8.125/8.373/etc

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #754 on: September 07, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »
Expand Quote
I just need to say that Films are the best trucks ever.
[close]

How do they turn? Is it comparable to an Ace turn?
They're better imo. Ace turning was a little to extreme for me to the point that you didn't knew where you're going. Also with aces you get that feeling of "fuck, here's comes wheelbite" and falling because of it. With Films no wheelbite at all and I feel totally in control, super stable while going fast.
Again, I love them. Can't wait to sell my Ti149 so I can get another set to have on ice.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #755 on: September 08, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »
While Films were really good, the turn isn't anywhere near to Ace. To me they were more stable Indys.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #756 on: September 08, 2021, 12:55:59 AM »
While Films were really good, the turn isn't anywhere near to Ace. To me they were more stable Indys.
yeah I don’t even really notice it if I’m on films all day, but if I change to my board with aces and then come back it’s like night and day

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

gabbesucks

« Reply #757 on: September 08, 2021, 12:56:45 AM »

Not for me then, the reason I like Ace is how much they turn and how twitchy they are

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #758 on: September 09, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »
Skating the theeves more. Now that they're broken in they're feeling more ace than indy. I did skate my buddies setup with aces and there's still nothing that turns like it though. I just hate setting up for flip tricks with narrow footing like hardflips on aces cause I turn while setting up, the stability I get with theeves is more worth it for me. I just want a board with a different tail now cause the pop feel changed from the tensors and I ghost pop like a mf now lol

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: September 09, 2021, 06:24:09 PM »
Skating the theeves more. Now that they're broken in they're feeling more ace than indy. I did skate my buddies setup with aces and there's still nothing that turns like it though. I just hate setting up for flip tricks with narrow footing like hardflips on aces cause I turn while setting up, the stability I get with theeves is more worth it for me. I just want a board with a different tail now cause the pop feel changed from the tensors and I ghost pop like a mf now lol

Theeves have always been right in the middle of ACE and Indy, leaning more towards ACE (early V1/V2 designs were straight up ACE). They're a faster Indy and a more stable ACE. Most people that hate on them never actually skated them.

Steeper tails and 14.3 WB feel great with them (they pull in the WB more than Indy and probably around around the AF1s).

Shame they aren't more popular as they've seemingly faded into void along with Destructo, Silver (lol), Royal, etc.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #760 on: September 09, 2021, 07:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
For anyone skating Films out there - do they slide nose/tailslides on the baseplate like Venture/Ace or is it more of a Thunder on-the-wheels slide?
[close]
They have the Indy/Venture/Ace kind, Thunder are pretty alone with that one.
[close]

Word thanks.  They’re the last brand out there that I’m interested in trying.  Going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.  I keep coming back to Ace classics but who knows, hopefully Films will be a pleasant surprise.
[close]
Loved mine so much, nothing bad to say about them. Turn isn't as sharp as Indy or Ace but sharp enough to carve easily. Grind felt also really good and learned bunch of new tricks on them.
[close]

Update on my (brief) experience with the Film trucks.  I got a chance to skate them for like 45 mins before work today.  I wasn’t really feeling them as I was setting them up (the ones I got have red clear bushings and a red pivot cup) but I ended up really liking them.  I apparently purchased the hollow raws (I don’t know the full scope of styles that they offer).  They were noticeably lighter than my Ace 44 classics.  I haven’t skated light trucks since sometime last year and the pop felt excellent.  I have a heavier, slick deck now so maybe it was the heavy deck, comparatively light trucks, with bulky wide wheels combination but my tricks felt very snappy.  Also the metal on the hanger feels soft and buttery for grinds much like Ace classics which I like.  I don’t like to tighten my trucks and it seems like the break-in is similar to Venture/Thunder where they’re somewhat unskateably loose at first and tighten up over time.  By the end of the session they felt more stable.  Going to stick with them for now and see if this new truck romance continues.

Update #2 on the Films.  The truck romance ended and I’m back with my 44s.

I just couldn’t figure out the manual point on the Films and got too frustrated (probably more of a me problem than a Film trucks problem I’m sure).  I find Aces to be weirdly good for manuals.  Also the Film hanger material didn’t seem to grind as well on concrete as Ace classics.  Overall they seem like good trucks and the turn was enjoyable - on par with Indy probably close to Ace.  I think I’ll give them another shot once this set of Aces is axeled. 

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #761 on: September 09, 2021, 08:16:06 PM »
I always liked my Films, appearance and attention to detail wise. I liked how they felt too but they never seemed to do quite as good a job as Aces in the areas where they are similar. They kind of remind me of my strange obsession with Loophole/NFG wheels. I really like them, despite them not being quite as good as F4’s in all the comparable areas. Soft spot for newer companies with good product I guess.

Sadly, a SEPTA bus took mine out a couple months ago. I’ll likely grab another pair when madness strikes, but maybe I’ll try the hollows or something.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 54
« Reply #762 on: September 09, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »
Update #2 on the Films.  The truck romance ended and I’m back with my 44s.

I just couldn’t figure out the manual point on the Films and got too frustrated (probably more of a me problem than a Film trucks problem I’m sure).  I find Aces to be weirdly good for manuals.  Also the Film hanger material didn’t seem to grind as well on concrete as Ace classics.  Overall they seem like good trucks and the turn was enjoyable - on par with Indy probably close to Ace.  I think I’ll give them another shot once this set of Aces is axeled.

After two pairs of Films, I concur. Grind on concrete was little slower and my old dude slappy habit really ate the truck faster. Still, they're definitely good trucks, especially considering the price. Turn is not Ace responsive, but in my opinion deep and predictable, on the other hand I have no issues with Indy turn either. Wanted to treat my old feet with Ti Indys, and as one can read from bushing thread, ended up re-using Film bushings. After the longish break in period they're really good bushings and as conicals make Indy middle turn bit more faster in my opinion.

Edit: also, had one pair of raw and one pair of hollow Films, the original 6-hole baseplate versions. I understood that the geometry/wheelbase has changed in new 4-hole baseplate versions.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:26:56 PM by Bongwater Mojito »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #763 on: September 13, 2021, 07:56:40 AM »
American here who just ordered some Film 5.25s after several years of Thunder 148 HL devotion. Skating 8.125-8.25 decks and wanting to skate something with a lighter pop feel and a more playful turn. Hoping they’ll feel more nimble and flippy too. It was between these and Ace 33 for the truck swap. I will report my feelings about them coming from Thunder since I haven’t really seen anyone compare the two on here.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #764 on: September 13, 2021, 08:03:05 AM »
American here who just ordered some Film 5.25s after several years of Thunder 148 HL devotion. Skating 8.125-8.25 decks and wanting to skate something with a lighter pop feel and a more playful turn. Hoping they’ll feel more nimble and flippy too. It was between these and Ace 33 for the truck swap. I will report my feelings about them coming from Thunder since I haven’t really seen anyone compare the two on here.
You'll love them. Best trucks ever. I was on Indy for pretty much 15 years and in between i tried Ace, thunder, Venture, etc.
Can't stress enough how great they are
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #765 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
My truck preference is 5.6 Venture Hi (forged plates, hollow axles) and then 144 Forged Hollows. Would I like Films? Seems like there is not a consensus on their WB offset.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #766 on: September 13, 2021, 02:32:36 PM »
My truck preference is 5.6 Venture Hi (forged plates, hollow axles) and then 144 Forged Hollows. Would I like Films? Seems like there is not a consensus on their WB offset.
To me (been riding aces for few years now) Films feel more like Venture than Indy, I don’t know if it’s those interlock bushings or what but I feel like there’s something I need push against if I really wanna turn, compared to my aces which turn just by thinking  ;)
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #767 on: September 13, 2021, 11:00:11 PM »
I was riding Ventures before changing to Films. While turnbis really similar to me, the pop feeling was more like Indy. Definately not as heavy feeling pop like Ventures.

Grind was also lot nicer than Ventures. Only thing that i would prefer Ventures over Films was fliptricks.

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #768 on: September 21, 2021, 12:28:48 AM »
Neighbor made me some stainless steel 10ga risers (Ala Ville Wester) with his plasma cutter. Didn't like the overly light feel of the tensors. Brings them back up to about 380grams/truck.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #769 on: September 21, 2021, 06:20:21 AM »
Fellow Tensor ATG users, I have a set and they grind and feel great but my only complaint is that they’ll get stuck after a trick and lean to a side bum riding full stock and that’s been my only complaint so far. What have y’all done to work around this or get past this issue?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
Fellow Tensor ATG users, I have a set and they grind and feel great but my only complaint is that they’ll get stuck after a trick and lean to a side bum riding full stock and that’s been my only complaint so far. What have y’all done to work around this or get past this issue?

Mine are on the looser side; I get rid of the stock bushings and throw in some softer ones (88a or lower) and use flat washers (currently no bottom washer); I didn't like the feel of the bushings (too tight for me even at 90a) and the 'interlocking' concept makes the ATGs fee tighter to me.

baustin

« Reply #771 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »
Having a hell of a time trying to do crooked grinds after switching to some Films from Thunders. I know nothing is going to pinch like a Thunder but has anyone made the switch from Thunder to Indy/Ace/Film and figured out what you needed to adjust to keep crooked grinds working correctly? I’m slipping into noseslide or not grinding and flying forward a lot and it’s driving me nuts. They feel just fine on any other trick, and I’m appreciating the baseplate contact/wheel clearance on slides but I’ve gotta figure this crook thing out. Someone help me before I flip flop right back to my Thunders out of frustration

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: September 22, 2021, 08:31:28 PM »
Are you over your front truck? Looking down at it?

I’ll get lazy thinking I can just do it on any truck after swapping, and have to focus; the looking down/over the front foot always fixes it. EDIT: it's like swapping wheel brands and duros and thinking the slide is going to be the same, you have to re-adjust.

Also, is it due to not having a groove?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 09:03:29 AM by Xen »

baustin

« Reply #773 on: September 23, 2021, 06:10:32 AM »
Are you over your front truck? Looking down at it?

I’ll get lazy thinking I can just do it on any truck it the looking down/over the front foot always fixes it.

Also, is it due to not having a groove?

Both possibilities for sure. I guess I’m not used to having to put so much thought and effort into locking into them. Hopefully I get used to it and get a good grooves going. I definitely plan to give the trucks a fair shake because they do feel great on just about any other trick

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #774 on: September 23, 2021, 10:40:22 AM »
i remember tactics listing them as 27(x)g when they were in stock

that weight would have to be the mag lights  cuz thats what my 5.5(8.25"axle) mag lights weight and my tensor alum atg 5.0(7.69"axle) trucks weight 312g each so they have to more than that. wish tensor would make at least a 6.0 mag light truck or even a 9" axle would be nice.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #775 on: September 23, 2021, 01:50:55 PM »
Expand Quote
i remember tactics listing them as 27(x)g when they were in stock
[close]

that weight would have to be the mag lights  cuz thats what my 5.5(8.25"axle) mag lights weight and my tensor alum atg 5.0(7.69"axle) trucks weight 312g each so they have to more than that. wish tensor would make at least a 6.0 mag light truck or even a 9" axle would be nice.

I'd love an 8.75" maglight but I don't think it would be structurally sound and probably prone to bending? Either way, the market for Tensors is fucking small and anyone skating over 149s isn't the Tensor target audience (even if there are 10 of us ;).

I'm hoping for a mid with the upcoming redesign and maybe slightly surfier geo and better bushings. Be nice if they lost the black hardware as well and figured out a way to do a true raw, or even fake it with the coating they have...having stripped and clear coated mine, they don't have any oxidation or weirdness to them.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #776 on: September 28, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »
I saw mini logo trucks for the first time ever in the wild today, got to ride them around and I have to say they felt surprisingly good, almost like a lighter ace(No, they don't turn exactly as well, but great). Maybe exactly what I've been looking for.
Are they popular in the US? If no, why not? Looked them up again and they're incredibly cheap, even over here in europe.
I guess I'd have to use risers because they're so low, but about 51mm height with 3mm risers sounds great.

WavyDavy

• Rep: 128
« Reply #777 on: September 28, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »
I saw mini logo trucks for the first time ever in the wild today, got to ride them around and I have to say they felt surprisingly good, almost like a lighter ace(No, they don't turn exactly as well, but great). Maybe exactly what I've been looking for.
Are they popular in the US? If no, why not? Looked them up again and they're incredibly cheap, even over here in europe.
I guess I'd have to use risers because they're so low, but about 51mm height with 3mm risers sounds great.

Just heard good things about them.
And Andy Anderson recommends them...

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #778 on: September 28, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just heard good things about them.
And Andy Anderson recommends them...

While I have no personal interest in ML trucks. If they work for Andy’s rail dancing, there must be something to them.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #779 on: September 28, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »

I saw someone riding a pair in the wild recently as well, took me by surprise!

They’re actually very good, especially if you want a low, light, wide truck that turns like Indy/ace/theeve. Grind great too.