Author Topic: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition  (Read 71475 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: Truck set ups, less popular brands edition
« Reply #900 on: January 07, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why oh why do film bushings absolutely freeze over in the colder months (and what alternatives do I have)?
[close]

I do wish more companies made interlocking bushings.
[close]

Just curious, what do interlocking bushings do different than regular bushings?
[close]

They are supposed to keep everything exactly where they are meant to me, without the bushings getting pushed out to one side or the other when turning or being pressed hard for tricks, eg crooked grinds where the truck is on a significant angle.

They only really work well in the exact truck make they were designed for, as trying to put those bushings in other trucks often means they don't fit well, but all told, they do what they were designed to to on those trucks.

I have some from some Tensor trucks on a kids complete, which didn't fit on a couple of other brand trucks that I had tried them on, but it was not a big deal and more just a curious experiment.

I gotcha, makes sense, thanks!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #901 on: January 10, 2022, 09:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Why oh why do film bushings absolutely freeze over in the colder months (and what alternatives do I have)?
[close]

Its seriously crazy. They full on lock up. I've fucked myself so many times running out the door on a cold day and making my first turn fine and then at the next corner I lean and nothing happens. It wouldn't be so frustrating if they weren't some of my favorite bushings at room temperature.

For alternatives.. I just run bones med in mine over winter or skate something else. Thunders work pretty well too. I think most bushings will firm up a bit in cold weather but the bones ones stay pretty consistent. I do wish more companies made interlocking bushings.
yeah, I honestly thought someone had stolen my deck and replaced the bushings with wooden blocks when I jumped on it the other day. So thunder bushings fit okay?
My ace bushings are hardly affected by the weather at all

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #902 on: January 10, 2022, 09:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey yo guys, so out of curiosity I decided to grab a pair of 8.5 Aluminum Tensor ATG since I'm a big fan of the mag lights. I've never really seen a weight listed for them anywhere, or if I did I always assumed that it was actually for the alloys because surely even though they're aluminum they've gotta be pretty light right?

Well, not really. They're 381.5g. Obviously that's not bad for an 8.5 solid axle/kp truck but after seeing how ridiculously light the mag lights were (260 something before I even took any meat off them) I guess I just expected some sort of witchcraft or something. I was thinking they'd be in the 330-340 range for some reason, so I'm a little bit disappointed but as long as they still turn and pop the same the extra weight shouldn't bother me too much.
[close]

Do those baseplates work with Krux DLK's?
[close]

No idea. I honestly have barely touched those trucks since I got them. They're heavy and not very good,
[close]

Alright so not even worth fucking with? Might try the Mag Lights though when they come back with the magnesium baseplates

Sorry I fucked my back up last week and have been trying to not think about skating because I'm already getting stir crazy.

Honestly the absolute only way I'd recommend them is if you were somehow so in love with the geometry that you wouldn't skate anything else, do nothing but grind chunky concrete that will eat mag lights in a few months, and don't mind heavy trucks. The only advantage they have is durability.

The mag lights are amazing though, I know a lot of people got burned by slider plates or think it's a kook brand but they're unparalleled in terms of turn/weight. If I didn't kinda hate tall trucks they'd probably be my main truck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #903 on: January 10, 2022, 09:36:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Its seriously crazy. They full on lock up. I've fucked myself so many times running out the door on a cold day and making my first turn fine and then at the next corner I lean and nothing happens. It wouldn't be so frustrating if they weren't some of my favorite bushings at room temperature.

For alternatives.. I just run bones med in mine over winter or skate something else. Thunders work pretty well too. I think most bushings will firm up a bit in cold weather but the bones ones stay pretty consistent. I do wish more companies made interlocking bushings.
[close]
yeah, I honestly thought someone had stolen my deck and replaced the bushings with wooden blocks when I jumped on it the other day. So thunder bushings fit okay?
My ace bushings are hardly affected by the weather at all

Yup, although they'll harden up after a while too. As long as they're stock duro and fresh I can't remember any issues. I use fancy pants riptide ones on my winter setup and those hold up to the weather pretty well too.

I also ran indy conicals in my films at one point last winter and they worked nicely. If I were going to do a cold weather setup with films and wanted to most closely replicate the stock turn (albeit with some loss of stability and response) that's probably what I'd use actually.

FrontsideFrank

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #904 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:14 PM »
PSA for any film riders with the winter bushing blues:

This is the first winter I rode films and was shocked at how much they froze up in the cold. Picked up a set of the tensor bushings for shits and giggles (cuz they have the interlocking top bushing) and was pleasantly surprised that they are damn near the exact same size and shape. Couldn't tell any significant difference riding them, but they haven't changed in the cold like my film bushings did. Granted, I'm in Texas so 30-40 degrees fahrenheit is the coldest they've seen, but I've noticed no real change with them where the films were damn near unusable.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #905 on: January 24, 2022, 02:00:46 PM »

This is the first winter I rode films and was shocked at how much they froze up in the cold. Picked up a set of the tensor bushings for shits and giggles (cuz they have the interlocking top bushing) and was pleasantly surprised that they are damn near the exact same size and shape. Couldn't tell any significant difference riding them, but they haven't changed in the cold like my film bushings did. Granted, I'm in Texas so 30-40 degrees fahrenheit is the coldest they've seen, but I've noticed no real change with them where the films were damn near unusable.

The tensors do fit, and they're the only other interlocking street bushing that I'm familiar with, but the urethane quality is pretty shitty in my opinion. It just feels really hard and weird to me, similar to cheap Chinese wheels if you've ever had the pleasure of skating those. It bothers me to the point that I actually do the opposite and run film bushings in my tensors (and then just don't skate them when it's cold haha).

FrontsideFrank

« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2022, 03:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The tensors do fit, and they're the only other interlocking street bushing that I'm familiar with, but the urethane quality is pretty shitty in my opinion. It just feels really hard and weird to me, similar to cheap Chinese wheels if you've ever had the pleasure of skating those. It bothers me to the point that I actually do the opposite and run film bushings in my tensors (and then just don't skate them when it's cold haha).

Wild. I know exactly what you're talking about with the cheap wheels, but never noticed it with the tensor bushings (skated a set of ATGs when they dropped too). I wonder if it's cuz I've done a riptide pivot swap in every truck I've skated over the last couple years. Might be just enough of an improvement to make up for the fuckery. The only bushings I've had noteworthy problems with were medium bones in indys (separated from the core within weeks) and stock bushings in thunders ( tops crumbled apart in a few months).

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #907 on: January 24, 2022, 03:35:09 PM »
Film trucks with ACE bushings were great for me.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2022, 08:22:19 PM »
interesting!

Also, what riptides do you put in your films @FrontsideFrank ?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
interesting!

Not to step on toes, but I used Ace riptides at the direction of whomever was responding to me on the Film IG. Work fine.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #910 on: January 25, 2022, 02:12:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wild. I know exactly what you're talking about with the cheap wheels, but never noticed it with the tensor bushings (skated a set of ATGs when they dropped too). I wonder if it's cuz I've done a riptide pivot swap in every truck I've skated over the last couple years. Might be just enough of an improvement to make up for the fuckery. The only bushings I've had noteworthy problems with were medium bones in indys (separated from the core within weeks) and stock bushings in thunders ( tops crumbled apart in a few months).

I run riptides in my indys and ventures, they're nice and don't squeak but I've never felt like they truly made that much of a difference in term of turn, at least on those trucks. I don't think I tried them on ATGs or films, but I bought like 50 of the khiro soft cups before they went out of business so I probably do have those in there.

I don't necessarily think the tensor bushings are awful, my ATG mags turned great out of the box but it's more of a "feel" thing for me. They got hard fast and after a month or so felt like a film bushing that you'd left outside in the cold for about a minute, like it's still turning but you know that's not what it's supposed to feel like. I've never had the crumbling thunder ones but I've seen it on others trucks, I wonder if the stock ones are worse than the aftermarket ones like indys used to be or something.

The green venom street (I forgot what duro, 91 or 93) ones are pretty solid too. I ran those in my film hollows for a long time.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
I had the same cold bushings problem with my Films.
I run them with the black bones bushings now and they work fine. Even at -2 C Celsius they still turn great.
I'm 78 kg btw. Somehow the Film trucks need harder bushings to be stable enough for my liking. I ride standard 90a, nut flush in my indys.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

FrontsideFrank

« Reply #912 on: January 25, 2022, 05:26:13 PM »
Well,  look what the cat just dragged in.

https://i.postimg.cc/DZG5FwfV/20220125-191023.jpg

FrontsideFrank

« Reply #913 on: January 26, 2022, 12:10:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
interesting!

I put a set of indys in there. I was DMing with those guys awhile back about fitment for another set of trucks and they let me know that most of their common, standard kingpin truck cups are the same mold/dimensions.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #914 on: January 26, 2022, 06:28:55 PM »
I've been running 5.25 theeve tikings on an 8.25 chocolate deck with a 14.0 wheelbase for about a month. Beforehand, I had thunder 149s on an 8.5 polar with a 14.5 wheelbase. This is a kind of review I guess.
TURN:
(I normally ride my trucks on the deep end of loose, so take my words with a grain of salt)
Right out of the box they seemed stiff as, and didn't turn nearly as sharp as my thunders I had before. Then again, nothing really does. They didn't seem to lose the 'new truck' feeling after a few sessions with them, and the turning remained to be stiff.
Swapped out the standard bushings for bones mediums on the bottom after a week, would have used a whole set if I had one. That seemed to fix up the turn enough for them to be comfortable, but it still left much to be desired. If I can get my hands on some softer bushings I'll update on how they feel.
GRIND:
I noticed little difference between the two trucks in how they feel to grind on park ledges, but on crustier curbs they tended to stick more than my thunders had.
I haven't gotten around to learning smiths yet, so I can't speak on what the kingpin clearance is like.
The baseplates are pushed out more than on thunders which made noseslides a lot easier to stay on, however they don't pinch as nicely on crooks. However, nothing really does.
BOARDFEEL:
While this may be due to wheelbase, straight away they seemed WAY more responsive in the pop than the thunders. Higher tricks came easily, and the only problem I had with my flip tricks was that they would overflip too often.
There were minimal speed wobbles while bombing hills (30kmh at max though).
I don't skate much transition partly due to there being no bowls near me, but it would be fair to assume they wouldn't carve as much as other trucks.
MISC:
-In your hand these feel like a light truck, I didn't weigh them but online it says they're 332g.
-Manuals felt harder to balance than on my thunders, and I still haven't gotten used to it completely. This could be due to a number of factors though.
-The hanger seems to look slightly bent, though it hasn't affected anything as of yet.
-It has been a battle to get any grooves, however the other side of this is that they will likely last a long time.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #915 on: January 29, 2022, 02:04:52 AM »
I've been running 5.25 theeve tikings on an 8.25 chocolate deck with a 14.0 wheelbase for about a month. Beforehand, I had thunder 149s on an 8.5 polar with a 14.5 wheelbase. This is a kind of review I guess.
TURN:
(I normally ride my trucks on the deep end of loose, so take my words with a grain of salt)
Right out of the box they seemed stiff as, and didn't turn nearly as sharp as my thunders I had before. Then again, nothing really does. They didn't seem to lose the 'new truck' feeling after a few sessions with them, and the turning remained to be stiff.
Swapped out the standard bushings for bones mediums on the bottom after a week, would have used a whole set if I had one. That seemed to fix up the turn enough for them to be comfortable, but it still left much to be desired. If I can get my hands on some softer bushings I'll update on how they feel.
GRIND:
I noticed little difference between the two trucks in how they feel to grind on park ledges, but on crustier curbs they tended to stick more than my thunders had.
I haven't gotten around to learning smiths yet, so I can't speak on what the kingpin clearance is like.
The baseplates are pushed out more than on thunders which made noseslides a lot easier to stay on, however they don't pinch as nicely on crooks. However, nothing really does.
BOARDFEEL:
While this may be due to wheelbase, straight away they seemed WAY more responsive in the pop than the thunders. Higher tricks came easily, and the only problem I had with my flip tricks was that they would overflip too often.
I don't skate much transition partly due to there being no bowls near me, but it would be fair to assume they wouldn't carve as much as other trucks.
MISC:
-In your hand these feel like a light truck, I didn't weigh them but online it says they're 332g.
-Manuals felt harder to balance than on my thunders, and I still haven't gotten used to it completely. This could be due to a number of factors though.
-The hanger seems to look slightly bent, though it hasn't affected anything as of yet.
-It has been a battle to get any grooves, however the other side of this is that they will likely last a long time.

Tiking v2 or v3? There were some hanger issues with the v2 but as I recall they mostly pertained to the bushing seat/kingpin hole being misshapen or something of that nature.

Intentionally bent hangers was kind of a thing not long ago (ace, mini logo etc) so maybe there was a weird iteration in there that I missed too. I have tiax and Ti-hangers but no ti-kings.

realbasedgod112

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #916 on: January 29, 2022, 04:03:00 AM »
Expand Quote
TURN:
GRIND:
BOARDFEEL:
MISC:
[close]

Tiking v2 or v3? There were some hanger issues with the v2 but as I recall they mostly pertained to the bushing seat/kingpin hole being misshapen or something of that nature.

Intentionally bent hangers was kind of a thing not long ago (ace, mini logo etc) so maybe there was a weird iteration in there that I missed too. I have tiax and Ti-hangers but no ti-kings.
they're the v3s, it might just be my eyes being strange but take a look at the photo and tell me what you think.

Carter

• Rep: 2
« Reply #917 on: January 29, 2022, 06:38:33 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm running a set of those Theeve TiHangers to see how long they last. They cost a small fortune. I usually skate Indys or Ace down through the axle until they bend or break. Pretty curious to see how long these hold up with an entire titanium hanger. They've been sparking like crazy on curbs so far and occasionally they catch on metal when I do flatbar 5050s etc.

Also made a little video with some thoughts about trucks after skating them long term and beating them up.

https://youtu.be/IK6K14g_PFs

I feel like I'll probably get roasted for posting that video in SLAP forums but tbh this place got me started with nerding-out about trucks.
[close]

Interesting review, this thread is way more forgiving for brands that aren't the Big 3 + 1 (Ace). I inherited the same pair of Theeve trucks in 8.0 from a friend who splurged on a new setup coming back and only skated 1. Unfortunately it's in 8.0, but would have loved to give it a go.

And thanks for doing your research and posting in the correct thread.

had those trucks for ever. haven't skated them in a few years but they dont break. had a crook notch in them so deep and nothing bent or cracked. its crazy. I like light but they are fucking super light. they are on my cruiser now

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #918 on: January 29, 2022, 07:39:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Tensor bushings are very hard and have zero rebound; the interlocking bushing plus crappy thane just makes them tight.

I ran bones soft bottoms and med tops for a bit as well as the 87a conical riptides, that was the best combo by far.

As for theeve, the theeve hardcore bushings are are hard AF bones mediums are where it’s at for them as they used to ship stock. Best thing about them is pop no doubt.

realbasedgod112

« Reply #919 on: March 28, 2022, 03:53:19 PM »
this thread hasn't been posted in for a while huh.
on the theeve tikings, they're pretty solid but at the same time not everything i'm looking for:
-manuals i can balance no problem, maybe even better than on other trucks. despite this i can't stay in a 5-0 for the life of me.
-it's probably just because i'm used to it, but these seem to turn nicer than thunders do. i swapped the bushings for bones softs finally, and they turn responsively while not being twitchy and barely ever wheelbite. the turning radius isn't as small as thunders, but the turn doesn't tend to plateau the same way.
-they grind perfectly, and some grooves have shown up which keeps me locked into crooks well.
-i don't do smiths so i can't speak on kingpin clearance

overall, theeves are definitely an overlooked truck. every truck has its pros and cons, and i feel that theeve tikings bring a lot of them together. balance on manuals is similar to ventures, grinding is similar to thunders (while not wearing down as quick) and the turn is different in some way.

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #920 on: July 07, 2022, 04:21:10 AM »
Blowing the cobwebs off the thread, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience in replacing Mini Logo bushings with any other stock brand? Preferably without having to shave them down etc?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #921 on: July 07, 2022, 05:38:44 AM »
Blowing the cobwebs off the thread, i was just wondering if anyone has any experience in replacing Mini Logo bushings with any other stock brand? Preferably without having to shave them down etc?

Ace seems like the perfect fit, the only problem could be that their bushings are wider.
Thunders are the right height and width, but it leads to more wheelbite because of their bushing shape.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #922 on: July 07, 2022, 06:46:31 AM »

I put Ace standard bushings in mine and they are great. One set of Mini logos I had came with super soft bushings, which felt kind of floppy compared to Ace, the other set of mini logo came with super hard bushings, which would freeze up bad in the winter and seemed to inhibit the turn too much for me. The Ace bushings feel pretty perfect

Ride it to dust

« Reply #923 on: July 07, 2022, 07:14:52 AM »
Thanks for the heads up @goodatmeth ,@sundaynuggets.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #924 on: July 07, 2022, 07:19:30 AM »
I like the hardness of the mini logo bushings but the kingpin nut is literally half way on. Seems the replacement bushings are hard if not impossible to get in the UK without paying for shipping from Germany or somewhere. Which in my opinion, for bushings is mental

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #925 on: July 07, 2022, 07:35:46 AM »
I like the hardness of the mini logo bushings but the kingpin nut is literally half way on. Seems the replacement bushings are hard if not impossible to get in the UK without paying for shipping from Germany or somewhere. Which in my opinion, for bushings is mental
Replace the top cup washer with a cheap flat washer from the hardware shop and you'll be able to get that nut on further.

Ride it to dust

« Reply #926 on: July 07, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »
Thanks dude @Roger_Kook

logjammin

• Rep: 366
« Reply #927 on: July 10, 2022, 09:30:02 AM »
I got tired of trying to overlook all the issues I've had with Ace over the years and did some snooping on here in old threads about what people had to say about Theeve and read a couple reviews elsewhere and decided to pull the trigger. I went with the 5.85 (8.5") TiAX in raw. Had a session on them yesterday, I removed the stock bushings that are a copy of Bones but have white cores so I can't speak to how they perform. Idk something about them not being actually bones just didn't sit right so I put in some fresh white Bones mediums with the flat top washer. It bugged me for awhile having a truck that wasn't giving me the same turn as Ace, it felt limited to some extent and a bit slower since they weren't all twitchy but I think a lot of that had to do with using Bones bushings since I never do. I think Bones really mellow out a truck's turn whereas Ace stock or aftermarkets are pretty nuts and give you such a bouncy snap and lively truck.

After getting used to them for awhile I noticed how I was overall just performing better. Landing more tricks and if I didn't I wasn't eating shit or anything, I could bail out with more grace like second nature. The stability and fluidity felt refreshing. Maybe all these years of being on squirrelly Ace's and kidding myself that they're "stable" has been the problem all along. These Theeves do still turn good though, they really bring the wheel towards the center when you lean and it definitely reduces wheelbite. I have a bunch of different risers in my stash and Ace ones were the best fit, they only stick out a teeny tiny bit on nose/tail side. Without risers I was getting too much wheelbite but I'm a heavy dude. Ventures are certainly a stable truck and I got down with them for awhile but even with a 1/8" riser underneath I would still get bad wheelbite with just 52mm wheels when I really wanted to carve. I'm running 55mm wheels with the Theeves and a 1/8" riser and it's like impossible for me to wheelbite now which is cool. Still stable being higher off the ground, too.

I have a feeling I might be sticking with Theeve from now on. The turning might not quite be Ace but I am reminding myself that being addicted to Ace's is like that toxic gf that you and everyone else knows isn't good for you. I thought about how I never tried just going back to Indy before jumping to Theeve but idk, something about Indy nowadays I just see them as boring and nothing to get stoked about. Lastly, as far as the grind goes on Theeves so far it's been insanely buttery smooth, they have that softer metal like Ace classics but yet these feel stronger for sure. So if you're looking for a stable truck that can still carve deep that isn't Ace or Indy, these are the answer.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #928 on: July 10, 2022, 11:32:27 AM »
The Stock 'hardcore' bushings theeve use now are much harder than bones med, they're like a bones hard duro; I never liked them (they're also taller than bones bottoms).

Theeve V1/2 were amazing; the TiKing was the lightest truck out there (that ti kingpin was ridiculously light); I miss them whenever I get the need to ride indys as they are just a quicker/tighter turning indy and not as wooobly as ACE, and stable on center. Great truck, bad name. I'd probably still have a pair around if they made the tikings still.

logjammin

• Rep: 366
« Reply #929 on: July 10, 2022, 12:20:13 PM »
Do you know what the difference is between the V2 and V3?

https://clubdist.com/collections/theeve-collection

They do still make the TiKings and this seems to be the only place to get Theeves in USA. It's where I got my set. I feel like hollow kingpins drag harder on grinds so that's why I went the TiAX route.