Author Topic: Wheelbase on your trucks  (Read 39776 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Wheelbase on your trucks
« on: December 31, 2019, 04:19:18 AM »
Yes, another truck thread, but this one is the one we wanted to have regarding about how an specific truck affects the WB of our setup.
As Palelight pointed:
"So as an example, if your deck wb is 14.25," and you ride Indy's your true axle to axle wheelbase is 17.25." The distance from the inner bolt hole to the center of the closest axle is added to the overall measurement, in this case, 1.5" per side."

I'll update the list as soon people add info.
Let's start:

Ace 44 (8.38" axle): + 2.75"

Film 5.5 (8.25" axle/6 Hole baseplate): + 2.875"

Film 5.5 (8.375 axle/4 Hole baseplate): + 3"

Independent 149 STD (8.5" axle): + 3"

Independent 169 STD (9.125" axle): + 3"

Independent 149 forged hollow (8.5" axle): + 3.1875"

Krux K4 (8.5" axle): + 2.625"

Tensor ATG Aluminium 5.5 (8.25" axle): + 3.0625"

Tensor ATG Mag 5.75 (8.5" axle): + 3.125

Thunder 149 team edition (8.5" axle): + 3.1875"

Thunder Hollow Lights 151 (8.75" axle): + 3.25"

Venture standard 5.8 (8.5" axle): + 3.25"

Venture 6.1 (8.75" axle): + 3.125”

Venture Lights 5.8 (8.5" axle): + 3.5"

Venture 5.8 Titanium (8.5" axle): + 3.4375

Venture 5.6 cast: +3.25

Thunder Ti Hollow Lite 148: +3.25

Independent 139 Titanium: +3.00 in

Thunder 147 Hollow Light: +3.3125 in

Destruco D2 Mids: +3.125

Thunder 161 (9.125" axle) +3.10" wb (52mm height)

Indy 215 Stage 11 (10" axle) + 3.00" wb (55mm height)

ACE 66 (9.35" axle) +2.65" wb (54mm height)

Film 6.0 raws: +3.13"

Venture 5.6 V-hollows: +3.38"

Tensor Maglight Low 5.5: +3.15"

Of course every measurement could be not 100% accurate so if you want to double check you're more than welcome.
Kudos to all the pals who fuel this such as palelight, software and AngryBlackMan ✌️
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 01:50:30 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: WB on your trucks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 04:59:21 AM »
Yes, another truck thread, but this one is the one we wanted to have regarding about how an specific truck affects the WB of our setup.
Let's start:

Krux K4:
+ 3.125"

Tensor ATG:
+ 3.5625"

is the ATG pushed further out than ventures? need a measurement on the cast and forged ventures if you have em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 05:05:36 AM »
Great thread.

Gotta check my 5.75 ATG (8.5” axles) raw aluminum. Didn't think it was that far.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 05:33:14 AM »
from what i measured aces add roughly 3 inches, maybe a hair under
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 06:12:47 AM »
Great thread.

Gotta check my 5.75 ATG (8.5” axles) raw aluminum. Didn't think it was that far.
Mine are the same but 5.5, I don't think there's going to be a difference.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »
I would like to know how Thunder and standard cast Ventures compare in wheelbase, anyone know exact measurements?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Let's start:

Krux K4:
+ 3.125"

Tensor ATG:
+ 3.5625"
[close]

is the ATG pushed further out than ventures? need a measurement on the cast and forged ventures if you have em
I don't have any Ventures, I'll add Ace 44 and Indy forged hollow 149 that I have laying somewhere. Hopefully somebody else will add that info before me so I don't have to setup those trucks.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 07:26:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Let's start:

Krux K4:
+ 3.125"

Tensor ATG:
+ 3.5625"
[close]

[close]
I don't have any Ventures, I'll add Ace 44 and Indy forged hollow 149 that I have laying somewhere. Hopefully somebody else will add that info before me so I don't have to setup those trucks.

you don't have to, just lay them on an old deck where the bolt holes are
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 07:43:11 AM »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 08:48:44 AM »

Expand Quote

Everyone bookmark this

[close]

There's also a really good post on here where someone did this with a bunch of different trucks and took pictures too. I'm on my broken ass phone so I'm not even going to attempt to search for it but hopefully someone has it bookmarked.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »

Expand Quote

Everyone bookmark this

[close]

They have the axle height the same for standard and forged Thunder/Venture, how can we trust it  :-\

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Everyone bookmark this

[close]

They have the axle height the same for standard and forged Thunder/Venture, how can we trust it  :-\
[close]

You can't. This was created years ago and while some things may have stayed the same others have not:

Pretty sure the old 149 Thunders were used (which were low AF); old Tensors, nothing about 147 Thunders, etc., Theeve TiH vs V3...

Hell are these taken off Street Corner Ventures or DLX Ventures?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »
Yeah never liked that chart, feels way outdated. Keep using original post method, that’s the point- updated measurements on wb.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »
Yeah never liked that chart, feels way outdated. Keep using original post method, that’s the point- updated measurements on wb.
Always hated it tbh, a friend will check his thunder HL for measurements. I'll do the same with some Ace and Indy I have at home.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
Thunder 151 hollow lights +3.25"
I can check Indy standard and titanium when I get home

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »
Thunder 151 hollow lights +3.25"
I can check Indy standard and titanium when I get home
Awesome, adding it :)
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 01:42:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Great, adding :)

Not a problem. I'd just want to add, it might be worth it to double check, if possible, with whoever's posting specs, that they provide pics of their measurements. And also that they double check the deck wheelbase of their test deck and to check their math. Otherwise you might end up compiling a list of sorta-accurate data. Controls are your friend when doing stuff like this.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
Expand Quote

Not a problem. I'd just want to add, it might be worth it to double check, if possible, with whoever's posting specs, that they provide pics of their measurements. And also that they double check the deck wheelbase of their test deck and to check their math. Otherwise you might end up compiling a list of sorta-accurate data. Controls are your friend when doing stuff like this.
I'll double check the Aces whenever I'm home  ;)
In my case I tried on 14.5 WB boards.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
I'm calling a re-do on those ATG vs Venture numbers.

I recently measured 5.5 ATGs and 8.25 Ventures V-Hollows and the Tensors yielded a shorter WB by a 3-4MMs (can't recall the numbers; but even without re-measuring I can feel the Tensors being tighter on the same deck/wheels previously ridden with the Ventures.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »

I recently measured 5.5 ATGs and 8.25 Ventures V-Hollows and the Tensors yielded a shorter WB by a 3-4MMs (can't recall the numbers; but even without re-measuring I can feel the Tensors being tighter on the same deck/wheels previously ridden with the Ventures.
Few months ago when I measured my ATG’s they deff were close to an Indy/thunder. I don’t recall exactly how it played out but deff not venture long

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
I've been wanting to ask how you guys are measuring wb on a deck.
I've seen lotsa ppl make mistakes trying to measure center-to-center..
Does anyone actually try to eyeball the center of the hole?

And for axle-to-axle wb..
Eyeballing the center of the axle?

Use the sides, not the centers, it's the same distance.
Same side to same side..

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 07:07:13 PM »

Same side to same side..

Deck wheelbase, most woodshops are using jigged drilling rigs. I've yet to get a deck from BBS or PS that didn't match the stated wheelbase. But for the sake of methodology, yes I'd just go from center of the hole to center of the hole. We're using imperial measurement so even if you're off slightly from the center of the holes it's not going to yield even a 1/16" of difference from say, 14.25." You'd be talking 1mm or less. And when it comes to decks, tolerances are far less tight period due to expansion/shrinkage, etc.

As for axle to axle wheelbase, yes, center, eyeballed. It's not perfect, but it's not aircraft tolerances we're dealing with either, that's why it's measured to the 1/16" not the 64th or metric. Trucks are going to move, tilt and be off center, so if you wanted to go further you can measure both sides and average the two numbers. But then you're going to step on it and it's going to shift again. So I'd say, a measurement to the closest 1/16" is probably as precise as you're going to get with the crude mechanics of a skateboard.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote

Same side to same side..
[close]

Deck wheelbase, most woodshops are using jigged drilling rigs. I've yet to get a deck from BBS or PS that didn't match the stated wheelbase. But for the sake of methodology, yes I'd just go from center of the hole to center of the hole. We're using imperial measurement so even if you're off slightly from the center of the holes it's not going to yield even a 1/16" of difference from say, 14.25." You'd be talking 1mm or less. And when it comes to decks, tolerances are far less tight period due to expansion/shrinkage, etc.

As for axle to axle wheelbase, yes, center, eyeballed. It's not perfect, but it's not aircraft tolerances we're dealing with either, that's why it's measured to the 1/16" not the 64th or metric. Trucks are going to move, tilt and be off center, so if you wanted to go further you can measure both sides and average the two numbers. But then you're going to step on it and it's going to shift again. So I'd say, a measurement to the closest 1/16" is probably as precise as you're going to get with the crude mechanics of a skateboard.
Try this trick..
I use a soft (tailor/sewing) tape measure that will easily lay flat. I also line up at 1" or 2", never use the end of a soft tape.
Put your board on your lap or a table and orient is so it's nose/tail left/right, or right/left, doesn't matter which.
There's 4 bolt holes in the center that you could use to measure wb..
Each of these holes has a side/edge closer to the nose and a side closer to the tail. Nose side and tail side..
Pick a side, nose or tail..
I'm picking nose side
Measure from the nose side of 1 hole to the nose side of the other hole. This will give you center to center distance.
It's kinda the same as adding 1/2 bolt hole radius to one side and subtracting it from the other..
Also works on an assembled board if you use the heads on your hardware.

Axle wb..
Hook the end of your (hard) tape measure over the side of an axle so you can look down on the tape with griptape facing down.
We're still doing the nose side, tail side thing here
Now you just have to eyeball the axle wb by looking down at the side of the other axle. The same side as your tape is hooked on..

Sorry if I'm over-explaining..
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:34:03 PM by satan »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2020, 02:57:39 AM »
Great idea for a thread. It was palelight’s idea though and moonordie just stole it and did it way less properly than palelight. Kinda like someone contemplating filming a stylish and lofty kickflip down a set and you going with a ugly ass mobbed tail scrape baker maker kickflop while he’s setting up. Pretty wack.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2020, 07:11:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Great thread.

[close]
Expand Quote

[close]
You guys were right. I just checked my 5.75 ATGs raw aluminium and they lenghten the wheelbase by 3.0625". They are quite similar to regular indys.

It would be nice to have multiple people check their trucks so measures can be validated.
You're totally right, I screwed up with my maths. Correcting now. I have the same result as you.
Also I just measured my Aces and I also got +2.75"
Now I'll add Indy 149 FH.
Thanks to all the pals contributing on this.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:32:37 AM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
I’m throw in..

Indy 169 standard +3”
Tensor ATG raw alum 5.75 (8.5” axle) +3.125”