Author Topic: Skatepark Anxiety  (Read 13862 times)

CorneliusCardew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Skatepark Anxiety
« on: December 31, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
Whenever I go to my local skatepark (rain snow or extreme cold) I feel awful and can't get loose. I just tell myself 'it's this or nothing' and soldier on as another carload of people arrive every fifteen minutes. I feel like such a sucker paying for this unpleasant experience. The shop is cool the people are cool but the crowd drives me out of my skin. I feel like skating is open space and relaxation and freedom etc, but the parks are built for something else. I want to like the parks but have not yet figured out how in 20+years of skating.

Do any of you have any ideas of how to get over this?

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Skatepark Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 03:10:15 PM »
Skating around people I don’t know gives me anxiety. I’m weird.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Smoke a spliff and skate the waxed parking block in the corner.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
Get to know people. Theres at least a handful of cool people at any given session. It'll feel better when you know a few people at the park.

foolysalem

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »
Smoke a spliff and skate the waxed parking block in the corner.
This is always the move

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
I feel this way just leaving the house.

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 34
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »
I hate it too. I'm trans and don't like talking very much which makes it more uncomfortable. I've honestly just avoided indoor ones and layer up and go to the uncovered open ones at night if it's not raining etc. It's really stupid but it's fun to have a whole park to myself especially since i have trouble sleeping. My partner who also has mad anxiety likes to bomb parking garages when it's raining and it really is fun.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 04:37:27 PM »
Showing up to an empty skatepark is like walking into an empty public bathroom. You can do your business in peace.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 04:43:27 PM »
I remember being stoked at seeing another skater/skaters at the spot. Nowadays, people are incapable of communicating face to face with each other so they just put their headphones on and act bummed that other skaters exist. Times sure have changed.

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »
I remember being stoked at seeing another skater/skaters at the spot. Nowadays, people are incapable of communicating face to face with each other so they just put their headphones on and act bummed that other skaters exist. Times sure have changed.

I tried to say hey to someone at the park the other day and he just ignored me. He skated in the corner on the other side of the park as me with his headphones in. Like. Alright. Thanks for giving me the whole park. 
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
The obvious answer is to find a skate friend but that’s not always an option I know

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »
I feel that way all the time. That’s why I try to do sunrise sessions at parks. The emptier, the better. I feel like I can learn and push myself without the judging eyes of kids half my age and 10x my skill level.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
I hate skating around anyone.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 731
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2019, 05:19:29 PM »
Say whatup, give someone a compliment, introduce yourself.
That said, I feel you haha.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2019, 05:20:39 PM »

I used to love meeting new skaters at spots/parks, but that was back when skating was smaller and you were more likely to have something in common. These days I’ll obviously talk to anyone that is at a spot or park, but I’ll secretly be wishing I had the place to myself.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 05:22:32 PM »
I grew up around Ventura and am 31. While 12 or 13 years old, I used to skate at a place called skate street (THPS 2 I think?).

Anyways, I had just watched Sorry and was really into the clips of tom penny in the warehouse in France. I am trying to learn basic transition shit and, out of nowhere, a very small and annoying Curren Caples does an early grab on the ski-jump, over my head, lands and clowns me in front of his tiny little fucking friends. That never left my memory and I almost refused to skate indoor parks after that.

Never, ever skate at a skatepark. Your anxiety is real. Everyone is watching you and judging how you Ollie. For the love of god, do NOT try to do any of the fun lines. Practice your flat ground in the corner, away from any living being. When asked how long you’ve been skating, immediately light up a cigarette and talk about how much weed you smoke.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
I hate it too. I'm trans and don't like talking very much which makes it more uncomfortable. I've honestly just avoided indoor ones and layer up and go to the uncovered open ones at night if it's not raining etc. It's really stupid but it's fun to have a whole park to myself especially since i have trouble sleeping. My partner who also has mad anxiety likes to bomb parking garages when it's raining and it really is fun.

Stoked you're here theresnothinghere!

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 05:57:31 PM »
Showing up to an empty skatepark is like walking into an empty public bathroom. You can do your business in peace.

haha aint this true, it's a great feeling having the park to yourself

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2019, 06:41:46 PM »
I get the anxiety too but try to keep that “eat shit until you love it mentality” going on. I’m not going to get my tricks punking out because i feel uncomfortable. I barely get them when I am comfortable. I throw on my headphones and have at it. Some ppl are just assholes tho. Had a guy try to kook me recently because he wanted to look like a super local in front of his crew. He was intentionally waiting and pushing out into my line and being aggro. Cpl sessions later and he’s solo sucking ass doing basic flatground. No clue where he got the confidence to be aggro like that. I just keep doing my tricks.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2019, 06:48:36 PM »
I feel this way just leaving the house.

Same, life is just a big skate park and i'm a huge poser who sucks.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
I noticed that there is a huge contrast in my skill level. At home and in the street I roll with style, at the parks I feel so awkward. It is difficult to describe precisely. It's like a jekyll and Hyde sort of thing.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 637
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stoked you're here theresnothinghere!

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2019, 07:39:46 PM »
I wonder how many of you will get back in your car and go home if there are more than three people at the skatepark

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
yeah i always felt intimated going to the skatepark. like the cool guys in the corner who never really get off the bench are watching me like a hawk and judge me. oh well, thats why i go at sunrise hee hee

shafom

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2019, 08:02:48 PM »
I overcame my new park anxiety by crushing locals at skate.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2019, 09:40:58 PM »
#noskateparks is the answer. Skate street.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1485
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
Push mongo and eat shit on easy tricks. Once everyone decides to ignore you, you're free to do whatever. One of us. One of us...

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 09:57:55 PM »
I know the feeling. I’m sure most do.

I started a group chat with the homies and managed to get them to all come to the park on Thursdays with me.

Love you guys  ;D Happy new year!

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Pho King Hung Lo Mein

• Rep: -16
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 10:38:44 PM »
Not sure if they've got a Tropical Smoothie in your area, but I ask for a pinch of vitamins D, G, A, and F in my Acai Berry Boost and it's worked wonders for my Skatepark anxiety.

Seriously though, I don't like crowded parks either, but here on SLAP a couple few months ago this came up.  The advice seemed to be along the lines of, "don't be a bitch".  I'm definitely not, and not saying you are one, but whenever I pull up to a crowded park now, it rings through my head and then it becomes a matter of putting one foot in front of the other.  I'll usually do a roll through past the  blobs of gatherers to get a sense of the overall vibe and have found that generally nobody bats an eyelash and the pool warms right up.  I guess what I'm saying is, DON'T overthink it and talk yourself out of skating.  Nobody really gives a shit and is probably as self conscious as you.  At least that's the way I like to think about it.  On your eventual deathbed, you'll regret NOT skating more, alot more than you'll regret skating and/ or puting yourself up as a spectacle.  Gotta be able to laugh at yourself, for he who laughs, lasts.
"Now go home and get your fucking Shinebox"

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -91
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 10:53:08 PM »
Dude what, roll up and play with the wooden toy just like all the other adults with jobs that are doing that. No one cares if you can’t kickflip back 5-0 if you’re not a kook