Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 116155 times)

beavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #720 on: November 13, 2020, 06:36:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know the wheelbase on the 8.3 or 8.5 deck?  I’ve emailed and took it to Insta like a man.

https://newyorkskateboards.com/products/blank-skateboard?variant=36930531819692
[close]

cool they redid their site and added inventory. was gonna get a blank the other month but 8.25s were out. just ordered one. $35 and free ship... can't really go wrong
[close]

Are these also Clutch O shape? I’ve been looking for an 8.1 O shape and if these are that... I might’ve found my winner.

im not an expert but i dont think so. the ends are more rounded than the O shape pics someone posted earlier

supahotfyer

• Rep: 0
« Reply #721 on: November 15, 2020, 09:33:58 AM »
Anyone know brands that use Clutch and specifically use the B shape or G shape? I know Meridian does but they are sold out at the moment. I heard that Siren or Fortune might but haven't had that confirmed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1991
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #722 on: November 15, 2020, 10:07:35 AM »
Can we talk about maple and glue for a second? I met a guy today that told me:

- Russian Maple > Canadian Maple > China Maple
He claims the colder climate results in a harder, more durable wood and ply
Chinese manufacturers will use a combination of Canadian and China maple to for their B-tier boards, all China maple for their C-tier boards
Is there any truth to the maple story?

- Water Based Glue > Epoxy / Resin
Never understood what impact glue had, if anyone can fill me in I'll be happy to know.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1052
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #723 on: November 15, 2020, 02:51:19 PM »

Is there any truth to the maple story?

Yes, but they also sort the logs and then grade the ply accordingly on top of all that, but being able to sub in layers of local maple reduces cost for them as well.

Re water based glue is better for the environment and for the human doing the work, epoxy banned from many countries (I thought) because of the harmful properties.

Epoxy makes it stiffer (Dwindle boards are very stiff) or from epoxy vs glue:

Epoxy has the advantage of being waterproof and does a good job filling gaps in wood. Most other wood glues will not hold well if there is a gap between the pieces of wood that you are gluing together.

Epoxy is more aggressive than the normal water base glue, which is the industry standard. Since Epoxy is so strong, less of it is used yielding a considerably lighter and stiffer and longer pop.

I am sure others would know more or have better info too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #724 on: November 15, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
Sorry is this has already been covered but what shop does Darkroom use?

Website says "Produced in USA.' Is 'produced' code for actually pressed by BBS in Mexico?

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
i believe darkroom is BBS, yea. if i’m wrong feel free to call me out.
niggling

[/quote]

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #726 on: November 17, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
Man I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a small board brand for 10 years. Nothing crazy maybe 50-100 boards sell enough to keep it going and not have to pay for my own boards hopefully. Got the perfect name ideas for the direction, watching the new Tom Knox part got me stoked and thinking of it more (idk why) but now if I did pull the trigger I doubt I could get boards. Or at least quality ones that I’d be stoked on. Also always just wanted to make a custom shape.

That being said, anyone know what my best option would be? I’d think Clutch ? south central? Owns wood? I’ve skated tons of Clutch boards I like the O shape but sometimes they are a bit soggy brand new. I never skated a south central, can anyone confirm this is what Solace of Mind still uses? Like their boards and wouldn’t mind the excuse to buy one even though I don’t need boards at all. Also never skated a pens wood.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #727 on: November 17, 2020, 06:40:17 PM »
Man I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing a small board brand for 10 years. Nothing crazy maybe 50-100 boards sell enough to keep it going and not have to pay for my own boards hopefully. Got the perfect name ideas for the direction, watching the new Tom Knox part got me stoked and thinking of it more (idk why) but now if I did pull the trigger I doubt I could get boards. Or at least quality ones that I’d be stoked on. Also always just wanted to make a custom shape.

That being said, anyone know what my best option would be? I’d think Clutch ? south central? Owns wood? I’ve skated tons of Clutch boards I like the O shape but sometimes they are a bit soggy brand new. I never skated a south central, can anyone confirm this is what Solace of Mind still uses? Like their boards and wouldn’t mind the excuse to buy one even though I don’t need boards at all. Also never skated a pens wood.

I did exactly what you are talking about a couple years ago. My advice would be to contact some of the companies who use the wood shops you like and see what they have to say about their experiences getting decks made. My own experience was a huge pain in the ass and in talking to company owners and shops I’ve heard waaay too many stories ranging from mild annoyance to real problems that require legal action to resolve. Of course I take everything I’ve heard with a grain of salt, but the stories did give me pause.

Of the wood shops who do smaller orders of 50-100 decks, I’ve heard South central does a better job. Their decks are always awesome, in my experience and I’ve heard the fewest complaints about ordering from them. If I get decks made again, I’d go with them.

I don’t mean this to dissuade you, I ended up with some great decks ultimately, and I know plenty of people get decks made with no problems, I just think it’s worth while doing some extra research before spending the $1-2k

Feel free to PM if you have any questions!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 06:52:19 PM by Sundaynuggets »

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1138
« Reply #728 on: November 17, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
Lloyd keep in mind that if you order boards now, the wait production time has gone crazy. You’ll either be waiting months and some shops aren’t taking orders at all anymore

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #729 on: November 17, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Lloyd keep in mind that if you order boards now, the wait production time has gone crazy. You’ll either be waiting months and some shops aren’t taking orders at all anymore

Yeah been looking at several wood shops and they are all either not taking orders or experiencing longer lead times. Which is to be expected. I’m no where near ready to order boards just kicking around the idea. I haven’t even started literally just thought to myself yesterday about it. Maybe in the new year if I decide to go through with it.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #730 on: November 18, 2020, 03:36:27 PM »
I randomly bought a Corner Store deck off Orchard. Any idea what woodshop they are?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #731 on: November 19, 2020, 12:49:00 AM »
22 Board Co - https://22boardco.com/

Interesting graphics with holograms and the 22Wet decks come with a slick bottom. Zumiez had a 8.0 deck listed a while ago, 8 x 31.6 x 14.

Anyone know their source?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2020, 01:09:50 AM »
I randomly bought a Corner Store deck off Orchard. Any idea what woodshop they are?

A pic of the top would help, if there were any distinguishing markings, sticker, size info, etc.

A search turned up some boards by Control, the sticker with red maple leaf.

https://cornerstoreskateco.bigcartel.com/product/cirque-board

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #733 on: November 19, 2020, 04:57:44 AM »
Recent FA boards say "Hecho en Mexico" on the top ply. No PS Stix laser stamp/serial to be seen. What shop makes those if it's not PS Stix?

Fat Tony

• Rep: 6
« Reply #734 on: November 19, 2020, 05:26:10 AM »
Does anyone know the full measurements and general shape of Zero’s 8.12 and 8.25s? Kinda wanting to skate one for the sake of nostalgia lately.

I am in the same boat. Here’s what I found from tactics:

SPECS
SIZE   8.25
WIDTH (IN):   8.25
LENGTH (IN):   31.875
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   7.0
TAIL (IN):   6.75
CONCAVE (IN):   .438

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #735 on: November 19, 2020, 06:16:01 AM »
Recent FA boards say "Hecho en Mexico" on the top ply. No PS Stix laser stamp/serial to be seen. What shop makes those if it's not PS Stix?

FA and Hockey have been BBS for a while now.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #736 on: November 19, 2020, 06:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

FA and Hockey have been BBS for a while now.

Thanks, I figured it was just Hockey.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: November 19, 2020, 07:13:48 AM »

Interesting graphics with holograms and the 22Wet decks come with a slick bottom. Zumiez had a 8.0 deck listed a while ago, 8 x 31.6 x 14.

I had a look and then looked some more, the only one I could find that had anything like a sticker or anything on it looked similar (copied) maple leaf, but I don't think it was the same.  Nice looking shape though.

https://www.zumiez.com/22-board-co-laveau-8-5-skateboard-deck.html

This one has more the maple leaf sticker I have seen on Control decks though

https://www.zumiez.com/22-board-co-lush-8-0-skateboard-deck.html

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #738 on: November 19, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had a look and then looked some more, the only one I could find that had anything like a sticker or anything on it looked similar (copied) maple leaf, but I don't think it was the same.  Nice looking shape though.

https://www.zumiez.com/22-board-co-laveau-8-5-skateboard-deck.html

This one has more the maple leaf sticker I have seen on Control decks though

https://www.zumiez.com/22-board-co-lush-8-0-skateboard-deck.html

They do sell mostly to US, 1 dealer is in Macau which is weird. Order a few to test out, the glossy bottom one looks really sick. Graphics scream AESTHETICS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #739 on: November 19, 2020, 08:57:46 AM »

Y'know you can always just ask the shop eh? 

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
  • <3
« Reply #740 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
Anyone know Alien Workshops status? They haven't had a drop since summer I feel like.

Really dug their shapes. Might just spend the seventy bucks on a Quasi delivery but goddamn. Trying times my dudes, trying times
The chillest1

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #741 on: November 19, 2020, 10:45:00 AM »
got some anti hero classic eagles at the shop i work at a couple of weeks ago. the 2 9" orange eagle decks we got did not have the roman numerals on the top ply, and the warning sticker was right where the numerals would be. took the sticker off and its just a small circular indent. im curious if these are worse quality, or just taken from another pile in the wood shop

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #742 on: November 19, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A pic of the top would help, if there were any distinguishing markings, sticker, size info, etc.

It’s got a 6 printed in the hardware holes near the nose. It seems like a pretty good deck I was just curious.

TumKayo

« Reply #743 on: November 19, 2020, 12:20:19 PM »
took the sticker off and its just a small circular indent.

That is how half of all my BBS boards come. Maybe accidental

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #744 on: November 19, 2020, 12:23:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s got a 6 printed in the hardware holes near the nose. It seems like a pretty good deck I was just curious.
If it's an 8.6, I'd guess pennswood - they usually have the number of the decimal after 8 right there 2 for 8.25s and 1 for 8.1s, etc..

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #745 on: November 19, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »
Anyone know Alien Workshops status? They haven't had a drop since summer I feel like.

Really dug their shapes. Might just spend the seventy bucks on a Quasi delivery but goddamn. Trying times my dudes, trying times

Was wondering the same thing. I wonder how they can sustain their business after so long with out selling any decks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #746 on: November 19, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
Expand Quote
took the sticker off and its just a small circular indent.
[close]

That is how half of all my BBS boards come. Maybe accidental

Also given it seems the I to IV are only on DLX boards, it is curious that it has shown up on other brands that come out of BBS more recently, so I would say they are having to use board brand allocations of wood for different brands, depending on need.  I don't think the quality would be any less, but have a stand on them and see how they feel.

I stood on a Real renewal deck yesterday which felt way more like the normal pro wood and had a III stamp, compared to how flatter and more flexible the renewal decks seem.

shopdeck

• Rep: 3
« Reply #747 on: November 19, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »
got some anti hero classic eagles at the shop i work at a couple of weeks ago. the 2 9" orange eagle decks we got did not have the roman numerals on the top ply, and the warning sticker was right where the numerals would be. took the sticker off and its just a small circular indent. im curious if these are worse quality, or just taken from another pile in the wood shop

I ride the Brown bomber antihero shape and it never had a roman numeral on it. I dont think the specialty shapes get a roman numeral.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #748 on: November 19, 2020, 07:12:43 PM »

Drifter here in Georgia makes great boards. I put them up there with bbs and south central.  I’ve had boards made by him before and I think it’s a 20 board minimum.

asbestos

• Rep: 11
« Reply #749 on: November 19, 2020, 07:18:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride the Brown bomber antihero shape and it never had a roman numeral on it. I dont think the specialty shapes get a roman numeral.
strange... we got that whole series of decks and they all had numerals. check this photo on ccs, you can see the IV https://shop.ccs.com/anti-hero-brown-bomber-eagle-skateboard-deck-8-86