Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113961 times)

Kneesles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #930 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:22 AM »

Have a shop deck with this sticker and a small V imprinted next to it. Anyone know which woodshop this is? Thanks

Peel the sticker off and see if anything is stamped under it. Likely a Clutch V shape.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #931 on: December 31, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »
Expand Quote

Have a shop deck with this sticker and a small V imprinted next to it. Anyone know which woodshop this is? Thanks
[close]

Peel the sticker off and see if anything is stamped under it. Likely a Clutch V shape.
good call - V4

https://www.clutchdistribution.com/popsicle.html

Yossi

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #932 on: December 31, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
^Yeah, V4. Thanks guys. It's got a long wheelbase. Looks to be a bit over 14.5 and I usually ride 14.25. Gonna start the new year off with rocket kickflips.

Glurmpz

« Reply #933 on: December 31, 2020, 12:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
good call - V4

https://www.clutchdistribution.com/popsicle.html

The last board I broke in my string of brand new broken decks was a Clutch and I knew that one was gonna break because it was sooooo flexy. Maybe just a one off but the thing didn't have a chance. Also not a fan of the lack of concave within the kicks. That's a deal breaker for me with boards and it's why I pretty much only skate BBS and sometimes South Central. When you're used to spoon nose/tail, boards without it feel cheap. I say cheap because no concave within the kicks reminds me of how department store boards felt before I got my first pro board. When it's that flat it actually feels like convex.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #934 on: December 31, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
im prolly wrong but that consistent concave into the kicks I think strengthens the board too....that was the original purpose of concave......

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #935 on: December 31, 2020, 04:24:55 PM »
Anyone got any info on shapes/woodshop of Illegal Civ boards? What about those new Sci-Fi Fantasy boards as well?

Curious about the Sci-Fi ones too. I saw some pics and it looked like BBS but they were ebay pics so not the best quality. I've heard that BBS is only running big (like 5 digit # of boards big) orders now, but stuff has been coming out from smaller companies like ToPX so I'm wondering if they're honoring orders that were placed before the pandemic delays made everything crazy. I know there was a partial run of some of the topx decks that came out months ago, so maybe the stuff coming out now is just the rest of what they were originally supposed to get. I suppose Jerry is probably pretty well connected so the new rules might not necessarily apply to him the way they would to some random company trying to get boards made.

Dunno much about IC and frankly don't really care. I think they might have been BBS at one point but no clue now.

The last board I broke in my string of brand new broken decks was a Clutch and I knew that one was gonna break because it was sooooo flexy. Maybe just a one off but the thing didn't have a chance. Also not a fan of the lack of concave within the kicks. That's a deal breaker for me with boards and it's why I pretty much only skate BBS and sometimes South Central. When you're used to spoon nose/tail, boards without it feel cheap. I say cheap because no concave within the kicks reminds me of how department store boards felt before I got my first pro board. When it's that flat it actually feels like convex.

I've had really good experiences with clutch for the most part but they're not really what I'd call stiff. They definitely have a little give to them, much like PS stix. The shapes really seem to matter for me with clutch decks, I've had like 3 or 4 of the O shape and they were all good. Snappy and light, held their pop pretty well, and the O7 (8.25) and O8 (8.375) dimensions and tail are really in my wheelhouse. I'm not a board breaker so that was never an issue for me, but I did have one of the tapered popsicles (I think K or P shape, cant remember off the top of my head) with a 14.5wb that felt like ass to me. Then again, so do most 14.5wb 8.25 decks.

I actually really don't care for the spoony kicks that BBS (and clutch on some of their shapes) do. It always messes up my timing and I end up ghost popping a lot until I get used to it and even then I always feel like I'm working against my board instead of with it. I also don't love how steep the BBS and especially SC standard tails are, but even with mellower kicks like Pennswood's silver spoon mold I really struggle to find my footing (literally and figuratively). I think one of the biggest reasons why I like PS shapes so much is that the kicks tend to be mellower and have more subtle, organic feeling transitions. I really like how effortless and snappy the pop feel is on them, although I'm sure if I had stronger or younger legs I'd get better pop from a steeper tail and stiffer deck. I don't know if it's because I grew up skating flatter boards or just that they're easier on my fat old ass, but every time I buy a hockey or any deluxe shape other than the 8.28 x 31.7 I end up putting it away after a few days because it becomes such a chore to skate.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #936 on: January 03, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone got any info on shapes/woodshop of Illegal Civ boards? What about those new Sci-Fi Fantasy boards as well?
[close]

Curious about the Sci-Fi ones too. I saw some pics and it looked like BBS but they were ebay pics so not the best quality. I've heard that BBS is only running big (like 5 digit # of boards big) orders now, but stuff has been coming out from smaller companies like ToPX so I'm wondering if they're honoring orders that were placed before the pandemic delays made everything crazy. I know there was a partial run of some of the topx decks that came out months ago, so maybe the stuff coming out now is just the rest of what they were originally supposed to get. I suppose Jerry is probably pretty well connected so the new rules might not necessarily apply to him the way they would to some random company trying to get boards made.

Dunno much about IC and frankly don't really care. I think they might have been BBS at one point but no clue now.

Expand Quote

[close]

I've had really good experiences with clutch for the most part but they're not really what I'd call stiff. They definitely have a little give to them, much like PS stix. The shapes really seem to matter for me with clutch decks, I've had like 3 or 4 of the O shape and they were all good. Snappy and light, held their pop pretty well, and the O7 (8.25) and O8 (8.375) dimensions and tail are really in my wheelhouse. I'm not a board breaker so that was never an issue for me, but I did have one of the tapered popsicles (I think K or P shape, cant remember off the top of my head) with a 14.5wb that felt like ass to me. Then again, so do most 14.5wb 8.25 decks.

I actually really don't care for the spoony kicks that BBS (and clutch on some of their shapes) do. It always messes up my timing and I end up ghost popping a lot until I get used to it and even then I always feel like I'm working against my board instead of with it. I also don't love how steep the BBS and especially SC standard tails are, but even with mellower kicks like Pennswood's silver spoon mold I really struggle to find my footing (literally and figuratively). I think one of the biggest reasons why I like PS shapes so much is that the kicks tend to be mellower and have more subtle, organic feeling transitions. I really like how effortless and snappy the pop feel is on them, although I'm sure if I had stronger or younger legs I'd get better pop from a steeper tail and stiffer deck. I don't know if it's because I grew up skating flatter boards or just that they're easier on my fat old ass, but every time I buy a hockey or any deluxe shape other than the 8.28 x 31.7 I end up putting it away after a few days because it becomes such a chore to skate.
Just hit up sci fi on insta and they confirmed it’s generator wood. Really wish it was ps stix but grabbed an 8.5 anyway

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #937 on: January 05, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
Has anyone skated jart/hlc decks recently?
I had one 12 years ago, all the kids bought jart, because there wasn't anything else and every sing one, except mine delaminated.

Bob Loblaw

• Rep: 10
« Reply #938 on: January 05, 2021, 04:34:21 PM »
Has anyone skated jart/hlc decks recently?
I had one 12 years ago, all the kids bought jart, because there wasn't anything else and every sing one, except mine delaminated.
Is Sour still HLC/Hart?
I really like the one I'm riding.
No defects

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #939 on: January 05, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »
Yeah, according to the first post Sour is HLC. I guess most if the euro brands still get their decks pressed there. Thanks!

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #940 on: January 06, 2021, 05:10:30 AM »
I have skated bunch of them in last couple of years and never had problems. They are not as stiff as some other woodshops but for me the shapes are so familiar that they always feel like home.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #941 on: January 06, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
Anyone know what wood shops are based in Canada?
Control
Olive
Not sure if woodchuck is US Canada or both

Any others?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #942 on: January 10, 2021, 02:10:09 AM »
Control
Olive

Any others?

I think Woodchuck is in canada but distributed through a US company (pure). Max Dufour (old vert guy, was in some of the early x games) is the guy behind it iirc.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #943 on: January 10, 2021, 02:41:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Control
Olive

Any others?
[close]

I think Woodchuck is in canada but distributed through a US company (pure). Max Dufour (old vert guy, was in some of the early x games) is the guy behind it iirc.

Yes, I looked it up just because I have too much time on my hands, but thought I had posted too much already at the time.  Interesting to see, but also it seems like the other operations he had going on failed or he closed them up, Max D that is.

I recall Premium brand was huge at one point around here, but then it seemed to almost completely die off and I didn't really hear anything of it at all, only just the little bits I saw from the Woodchuck account on Instagram.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 08:05:48 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #944 on: January 11, 2021, 02:38:06 AM »
long time lurker, first time post-er.......ughhhh, need a 2021 woodshop directory fosho, though. birdhouse never responded to me so i guess their wood is made from china? i would like to get that tony hawk og falcon reissue 8.125 deck but i dont want to fork out $60+ for shit/unknown wood. covid makes getting quality shit really hard but it certainly can be much worse, for instance, i could be dead.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #945 on: January 11, 2021, 04:11:56 AM »
long time lurker, first time post-er.......ughhhh, need a 2021 woodshop directory fosho, though. birdhouse never responded to me so i guess their wood is made from china? i would like to get that tony hawk og falcon reissue 8.125 deck but i dont want to fork out $60+ for shit/unknown wood. covid makes getting quality shit really hard but it certainly can be much worse, for instance, i could be dead.

Birdhouse is through BBS, so one of the good ones, on their pro boards at least, all under Baker Boys Dist, which covers Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse and Heroin in the wood department.  The budget and completes have been from where ever such as China for a while now, but nobody is thinking about those ones really, unless they are going on the wall and it doesn't matter one tiny bit where they are made then.

sleepyguy824

• Rep: -1
« Reply #946 on: January 12, 2021, 07:54:43 AM »
Didn't see this but just found this out yesterday. I didn't see it on the first post of what brands are made at a specific wood shop. Techne decks come from PS Stix.

https://techneskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/skulls-8-0-x-32

Glurmpz

« Reply #947 on: January 12, 2021, 10:42:16 AM »
Woo hoo! Just got a reply from DLX and they're sending up two replacement decks for me (I only had 2 of the 3 dlx decks I snapped left to take photos of for them, so that's what they replaced). DLX really is the best, huh?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #948 on: January 12, 2021, 11:33:15 AM »
Woo hoo! Just got a reply from DLX and they're sending up two replacement decks for me (I only had 2 of the 3 dlx decks I snapped left to take photos of for them, so that's what they replaced). DLX really is the best, huh?

That's unreal. Yeah they can't be fucked with
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #949 on: January 12, 2021, 11:54:54 AM »
Didn't see this but just found this out yesterday. I didn't see it on the first post of what brands are made at a specific wood shop. Techne decks come from PS Stix.

https://techneskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/skulls-8-0-x-32

They switch back and forth between PS and BBS

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #950 on: January 13, 2021, 02:22:00 AM »

So good!!!

Now maybe go a bit easier on a fresh new board?

Nah any which way you look at it, I know brand new boards just seem to break more easily than old flexed out boards, but it is so nice to have a crispy new one, as I just set up.

I recall a long time ago, I cracked the nose through the front bolts the first day, only a bit, but that Antihero board still lasted long enough for me to be happy and retire it.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #951 on: January 13, 2021, 03:30:53 AM »
Does anyone know who presses Cowtown's boards? I want one of those Leopard print shop boards really bad hahaha

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #952 on: January 13, 2021, 04:08:09 AM »
Does anyone know who presses Cowtown's boards? I want one of those Leopard print shop boards really bad hahaha
I do not. Did you try DM’ing them on IG? Curious about dimensions too of that 9.4” and 9”

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #953 on: January 13, 2021, 04:34:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I do not. Did you try DM’ing them on IG? Curious about dimensions too of that 9.4” and 9”

Nah, I don't have facebook or instagram but someone should def slide into those DM's tho and get the specs. Weird they wouldn't at least put the lengths in the description.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #954 on: January 13, 2021, 01:05:18 PM »

anyone recognize this shop?

Edit:
after some sleuthing, it looks like it's a control board. Anyone got opinions on control?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 02:07:08 PM by TwisT »

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #955 on: January 13, 2021, 02:22:39 PM »

Edit:
after some sleuthing, it looks like it's a control board. Anyone got opinions on control?

probably, most definitely unhelpful but, canadian made hockey sticks used to be the gold standard.(maybe still are, i dunno. i quit right after picking up my first skateboard) both wood and composite were pinnacle. just seeing that sticker gave me flashbacks. all things aside, canadian maple wood and canadian made seem like a good combination. i WOOD give it try if i had the opportunity to buy one locally.

Glurmpz

« Reply #956 on: January 13, 2021, 02:46:40 PM »

Edit:

I would not ride anything pressed at Control even if it was free. Some people like them though.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #957 on: January 13, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

I would not ride anything pressed at Control even if it was free. Some people like them though.

Why no control?

@TwisT pretty flat, that’s why I liked it. Mine were stiff, stayed that way. I prefer a little more flex like ps, but I’d skate em again. Studio is control, ya? Man their graphics are so sick. Another company that I should buy from

Glurmpz

« Reply #958 on: January 13, 2021, 04:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

[close]

Why no control?

@TwisT pretty flat, that’s why I liked it. Mine were stiff, stayed that way. I prefer a little more flex like ps, but I’d skate em again. Studio is control, ya? Man their graphics are so sick. Another company that I should buy from

I've never held one/stood on one I like the feel of. It's a shame because I agree Studio is sick and I like a lot of their graphics. Now, I've never personally skated a Control since I haven't found one I like, but I've heard a fair bit of bad feedback from people who have tried them. The most common complaint is that they are soggy from the get go.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #959 on: January 13, 2021, 04:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote

Edit:
[close]

agreed, weird wood that looses its pop, also strange unroutered edges on the top ply. sc, bbs, dwindle, penns for me