Author Topic: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread  (Read 113703 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Re: Woodshop Directory 2020 Thread
« Reply #570 on: September 23, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
has anyone (*cough*buttfart?*cough*) taken note of  what bonding method for plys each presser uses? I feel like epoxy being a fairly hard resin would completely change the feel of the wood, as opposed to other glues that don’t harden as much? just a shower thought. I feel like I once heard PS say he hates epoxy? can’t remember

Sorry I've been doing non skate-nerd things more often lately and haven't checked the thread in a minute.

Resin is pretty much only a china thing as far as I'm aware, but it's more or less the standard there. I've heard it's really difficult to use in places that have actual environmental laws because the chemicals involved are kind of nasty, but that's just skate shop gossip and I have no real sources to back it up. Resin decks definitely feel different, they're stiffer and have a more hollow "thud" sound as opposed to the "crack" of a good cold press deck. They also claim to be lighter but feel heavier underfoot to me, although I've never actually weighed any of my decks (just every single truck I own component by component, I swear I'm not mentally ill guys) so I don't know if thats actually the case. I think that part of the "all chinese wood is bad" shit is more "chinese wood feels different than what I'm used to". That's not to say that there aren't a metric fuckton of dogshit chinese blanks out there, just that they're not all bad. Anyways, resin construction is standard enough that NHS has decided to make "cold pressed... ya know.. with actual glue...like everyone else has been doing for the last 4 decades" a marketing bullet point with some recent creature decks.

So, in summary - if your deck isn't chinese made then it's probably glue. If it is chinese, it's probably resin. There's advantages and disadvantages to both construction methods, but personally I rarely skate a deck long enough for the enhanced durability of a resin deck to actually come into play so I mostly stick with good old cold pressed maple from the land of the free and the home of the brave, Mexico.

Also I'd like to add that I recently got a Plan B deck from a UK shop and it's HLC, so I guess that's who they're using for their Euro decks. It's pretty good wood, quite stiff but not uncomfortably so and the shape is pretty good (although I definitely prefer the PS stix plan B shapes since unlike the graphics they're pretty fucking great). I've only ever skated one HLC deck prior to this, a Sour 8.5 that I gave up on fairly quickly because it was too big for me, so I'm curious to see how this one holds up over time.

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #571 on: September 23, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
has anyone (*cough*buttfart?*cough*) taken note of  what bonding method for plys each presser uses? I feel like epoxy being a fairly hard resin would completely change the feel of the wood, as opposed to other glues that don’t harden as much? just a shower thought. I feel like I once heard PS say he hates epoxy? can’t remember
[close]

Sorry I've been doing non skate-nerd things more often lately and haven't checked the thread in a minute.

Resin is pretty much only a china thing as far as I'm aware, but it's more or less the standard there. I've heard it's really difficult to use in places that have actual environmental laws because the chemicals involved are kind of nasty, but that's just skate shop gossip and I have no real sources to back it up. Resin decks definitely feel different, they're stiffer and have a more hollow "thud" sound as opposed to the "crack" of a good cold press deck. They also claim to be lighter but feel heavier underfoot to me, although I've never actually weighed any of my decks (just every single truck I own component by component, I swear I'm not mentally ill guys) so I don't know if thats actually the case. I think that part of the "all chinese wood is bad" shit is more "chinese wood feels different than what I'm used to". That's not to say that there aren't a metric fuckton of dogshit chinese blanks out there, just that they're not all bad. Anyways, resin construction is standard enough that NHS has decided to make "cold pressed... ya know.. with actual glue...like everyone else has been doing for the last 4 decades" a marketing bullet point with some recent creature decks.

So, in summary - if your deck isn't chinese made then it's probably glue. If it is chinese, it's probably resin. There's advantages and disadvantages to both construction methods, but personally I rarely skate a deck long enough for the enhanced durability of a resin deck to actually come into play so I mostly stick with good old cold pressed maple from the land of the free and the home of the brave, Mexico.

Also I'd like to add that I recently got a Plan B deck from a UK shop and it's HLC, so I guess that's who they're using for their Euro decks. It's pretty good wood, quite stiff but not uncomfortably so and the shape is pretty good (although I definitely prefer the PS stix plan B shapes since unlike the graphics they're pretty fucking great). I've only ever skated one HLC deck prior to this, a Sour 8.5 that I gave up on fairly quickly because it was too big for me, so I'm curious to see how this one holds up over time.
ive heard plan b is going to switch to hlc for north america too.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #572 on: September 23, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
Does anyone know where Dog Town has their decks made? The list on page 1 says PS Stix but there is no engraving. Any y’all fuck with Dog Town bloards? Any chance BBS makes um,?

The new ones at 9” have a 14.6” wheelbase and are considered street models. I’m looking for a 9” with 14.5” wheelbase and I couldn’t pull the trigger on a Polar cause it had a red stain on the top. This has a dark grey stain which is my personal favorite.

https://socalskateshop.com/Dogtown-Purple-Cross-Logo--Skateboard-Deck-Purple-Stain-9x327.html#!?cc_decks=109653&c=cc_grip-tape

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #573 on: September 23, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
Does anyone know where Dog Town has their decks made? The list on page 1 says PS Stix but there is no engraving. Any y’all fuck with Dog Town bloards? Any chance BBS makes um,?

The new ones at 9” have a 14.6” wheelbase and are considered street models. I’m looking for a 9” with 14.5” wheelbase and I couldn’t pull the trigger on a Polar cause it had a red stain on the top. This has a dark grey stain which is my personal favorite.

https://socalskateshop.com/Dogtown-Purple-Cross-Logo--Skateboard-Deck-Purple-Stain-9x327.html#!?cc_decks=109653&c=cc_grip-tape

It is still PS Stix.

Check the last image of this post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKcglwg3As/

MusclesMarinara

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #574 on: September 23, 2020, 06:45:51 PM »

Just checked through their Instagram tags and came across this from July, has the laser engraving for PS Stix. Also there's a popsicle shaped with the engraving as well I saw someone post from August.

I always want to get one but can never pull the trigger on one, as I have to remind myself I'm not a surfer/Cali type at all. I'll always love the documentary though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_RMe1lZWm/?igshid=dov7cbqv88b
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #575 on: September 23, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »
Thanks @CrimsonGhost and @yourbreakfsat

I suppose I could have done the same but didn’t think of it. The general consensus seems to be that PS Stix is inferior to BBS in that it becomes soggy too soon. However it seems like many people love Quasi decks here so how different can the two woodshops be?

Anyone feel that PS Stix is equal in long term performance?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #576 on: September 23, 2020, 10:52:07 PM »

I suppose I could have done the same but didn’t think of it. The general consensus seems to be that PS Stix is inferior to BBS in that it becomes soggy too soon. However it seems like many people love Quasi decks here so how different can the two woodshops be?

I've had two recent Quasis (Bobby De Keyzer's second deck and the Skin graphic in that order).

I rode Indys with the first one and it felt soft and soggy after a few weeks.

I rode Thunders with the second one and it felt great and kept its form after a few weeks.

Someone might have had a different experience than me, but I think Thunders and Ventures will help keep the pop of PS decks.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #577 on: September 24, 2020, 04:13:57 AM »
I'm on a recent Toy Machine logo deck (China wood), and it has the steepest concave and kicks I've ever skated. Not the best for me, but might work well for anyone looking for a leg burner.

My China pro model wasn't that steep. The tail anyway. The nose was noticeable steeper than tail. The 5Boro I had was hella steep
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: September 24, 2020, 05:21:15 AM »

PS wood isn't as stiff as bbs, which I think leads some people to perceive as being "soggy" but it's really just a different type of deck. It flexes more which gives it a very light, springy feeling that can feel weird if you're not used to it. They do seem to razor tail faster, but not by a hugely significant amount. I've skated a few different PS decks into the 4th ply and they still had good pop. Every deck (including BBS) is going to lose some pop once you get to that point but they were still totally skateable. Im not a board breaker and I change decks pretty often so I'm far from an expert on durability but in my opinion if your major concern is durability then South Central is the way to go (or resin7 if youre a masochist).

So basically, PS is just a different beast. If you like stiff wood (heh heh heh) and you're a supa scoopa who rips through tail plys then BBS is going to be better for you but I've never really had an issue with PS boards becoming unskateable before I thought they should. I strongly prefer PS shapes though, so I probably have a bit of bias.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: September 24, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »

Really? I could see them doing it temporarily because I know PS is backed up pretty bad from the pandemic but Ive always thought plan b was kind of Schmitt's favorite child and he was more involved than with most of his customers. If they do end up switching I hope they make an effort to keep the same or similar molds and dimensions because the PS shapes are really nice and it's really hard to find 8.25 decks that are under 31.5" and have 14.25" wb on good wood.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #580 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:50 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3ODU4NDExNzIwMTQ2NTg1?igshid=vvgi8c9c3131&story_media_id=2403500236691965091

The Berrics using 2hex do a kickflip boards,

Feels like an ad...but every thing on the Berrics is an ad

Glurmpz

« Reply #581 on: September 26, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yup, they switched. All our Plan B boards are HLC.

Tum Yeto switched to China pressed boards during the pandemic to fill demand but they're back on PS again now. To be honest, although they were snapping on people, the shapes and concaves of the China Toy Machine boards were way nicer than the super flat, inconsistent PS shapes they use.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #582 on: September 26, 2020, 12:10:54 PM »
I've always kind of assumed they just use Titebond or similar woodglue.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #583 on: September 27, 2020, 09:21:58 AM »
Asking again from the 7.75 deck thread but I'm looking to hoard some P2 boards, managed to find a supplier but only have Mystery 7.875 boards, which I fine I was looking to size down slightly for a laugh.

I'm concerned about the dimensions, Zumiez (urgh) lists them at 7.875 x 32 x 14 which are the length and WB I like. But I don't recall 7.75-ish boards coming in at that range. I know when Zero did P2 boards they had 8 x 32 x ??.

I looked through the old PDF catalogs from Mystery and they are listed as 7.875 x 31.75 x ?? Hopefully someone has some details on this.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:28:56 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2020, 06:27:48 PM »
Are Pizza skateboards still out of PS Stix? Also, has anyone ridden one / feedback?
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

ssanderrs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #585 on: September 27, 2020, 10:17:29 PM »
Is there a difference in Tired skateboards decks for Europe or NA?
Because the ones we had in the shops did not have the PS Stix engraved numbers on them.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #586 on: September 28, 2020, 01:43:50 AM »
Are Pizza skateboards still out of PS Stix? Also, has anyone ridden one / feedback?

Still PS as far as I'm aware. I've never skated one but I've checked a few out in the shop and they look to be your standard PS fare - full shape, wide kicks without much taper, and it looked like there were either two different but similar molds or one of the decks was bottom of the stack because it was noticeably mellower. There was another 8.38 PS deck that was almost identical to the steeper ones, but I can't remember what it was... Maybe snack?

Is there a difference in Tired skateboards decks for Europe or NA?
Because the ones we had in the shops did not have the PS Stix engraved numbers on them.

It's fairly common for companies to use different shops for NA and EU. I don't know about Tired specifically but aren't they kind of a sister company to skate mental? Skate mental in the US is PGI so if the deck is really flat and has the little alignment divot in between the front truck holes on the top (same place as BBS/generator) then it's probably PGI.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #587 on: September 30, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Any of you pals knows about Zero boards? I lost them at dwindle last time  ;D
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 567
« Reply #588 on: September 30, 2020, 06:24:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Where did you get your information from regarding Chapman not pressing boards anymore? My buddy is starting to go through them for boards, but this information has not been brought up. Everything on the site still has manufactured in the U.S by Chapman.
[close]

I couldn't tell you exactly where I first learned it, but it's more or less common knowledge (or maybe 'open secret' is more accurate) for people who are woodshop nerds. Chapman used to use a woodshop in Maine but it closed down a few years back and they started using ASF blanks. The boards even come with the asf/clutch shape code stamps. Doesn't mean they're bad, I think they're better than the old Chapman wood personally.

"Manufactured" is kinda subjective I suppose.. They are still taking the deck and printing the graphic and wrapping it, which is more or less what they've always done, all that's changed is the woodshop that ships the boards to them. If it still says that then I'm not sure if they're being purposely ambiguous about it or just never updated the website.

FYI this business model is pretty common these days... There's at least a half dozen or so places in the US that do the "import blanks/print/wrap/ship" thing. The only US woodshops still operating I'm aware of are South Central, Watson, Drifter, Pennswood, Prime, and some smaller places like legend and customskateboards.com. Quincy shut down last year and were supposedly moving to a new location and coming back early this year (according to an email conversation I had with the owner) but that still hasn't happened and I'm not sure if it ever will.

FWIW my I dm’ed my local today and they said they get their boards from Quincy so might be back up and running?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #589 on: October 03, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
Dwindle?

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #590 on: October 03, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »
Dwindle?

Yes indeed. How do you like it?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #591 on: October 03, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
Is on the stash waiting to be skated
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #592 on: October 03, 2020, 07:00:29 PM »
That’s a dwindle

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #593 on: October 07, 2020, 12:22:32 AM »
for what it's worth i don't think dwindle/dsm is as bad as it's cracked up to be. set up a palace deck recently and hated how stiff it was the first day but now it feels like any other deck. i dunno maybe i'm not that picky, plus all the gear madness and obsession on here has driven me to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and i'll force myself to get used to anything.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #594 on: October 07, 2020, 06:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
for what it's worth i don't think dwindle/dsm is as bad as it's cracked up to be. set up a palace deck recently and hated how stiff it was the first day but now it feels like any other deck. i dunno maybe i'm not that picky, plus all the gear madness and obsession on here has driven me to the complete opposite end of the spectrum and i'll force myself to get used to anything.

I feel the same. Riding a dwindle right now and have no issues with it, would ride another for sure. I still prefer boards from HLC or BBS but i'll skate whatever.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #595 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
Does anyone have any opinions on either Control or Woodchuck?

I skate Control decks all the time and love em for what its worth.
Always found Woodchuck boards to be heavy and softer, but this was years ago when they were produced in Montreal. 

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have any opinions on either Control or Woodchuck?
[close]

I skate Control decks all the time and love em for what its worth.
Always found Woodchuck boards to be heavy and softer, but this was years ago when they were produced in Montreal.

I skated a finesse board that I'm pretty is woodchuck, but can't confirm. I know that they get their boards screen at progress. I thought it was excellent. I have another one on my way, but there's no identifying marker other than the notch, that tons of brands use.

RealBamMargera

• Rep: 1
« Reply #597 on: October 07, 2020, 05:30:27 PM »
Just got some of the new shortys muska boards. Anyone have any idea who they are going through or maybe who they used to? Board seems good im assuming its some sort of mexican woodshop whos making them but im curious if anyone has any idea! The only markings are the code underneath the front truck holes.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #598 on: October 08, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
Here’s a shot in the dark but anybody know how/where Vehicle boards were made? Not sure if it was the wood or the shape but I always dug em. Curious if there’s a “modern” equivalent

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #599 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:16 PM »
Are Madness boards any good?
I uhhhh ordered a board while drunk last night and then forgot until I received the shipping notification this morning. I've been riding BBS or PS exclusively for the past four years so don't know what to expect. I just bought it because it's 9" with 14.25" wb and front wheel wells.