Author Topic: Quasi?  (Read 42734 times)

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
Re: Quasi?
« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

these are all pretty dope, nice reissue choices.
[close]

I just picked that up during a throw of madness to downsize; nabbed some Thunder Team Hollows (Silvas Omni) to go with it.
[close]

Board arrived yesterday. Matte/rough finish on the purple top ply. Terrible sanding job on the rails (super rough all the way around, but not a big deal) and tail; sanding on the tail (top edge of the rail) looks like someone fucked up, then decided to uncuck it by balancing it out. I'm sure once griped and skated it will be fine. Definitely sub par quality out of PS Stix.

Measurements:

Listed / Actual

8.125 / 8.06 (actually 8.125 over rear trucks, 8.06ish over the front trucks)
31.75 / 31.5
14.125WB

I was hoping it was actually 31.75, 31.5 is short for me.

Take it to the doctor man, that looks like a money tumor.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I just picked that up during a throw of madness to downsize; nabbed some Thunder Team Hollows (Silvas Omni) to go with it.
[close]

Board arrived yesterday. Matte/rough finish on the purple top ply. Terrible sanding job on the rails (super rough all the way around, but not a big deal) and tail; sanding on the tail (top edge of the rail) looks like someone fucked up, then decided to uncuck it by balancing it out. I'm sure once griped and skated it will be fine. Definitely sub par quality out of PS Stix.

Measurements:

Listed / Actual

31.75 / 31.5
14.125WB

That board was just measured and sanded in a different rallity.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2021, 02:40:10 PM »
Dude actually said 'REAlity' a few time during the latter part of the cast, wtf...then went back to crazy.

MonsPubis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2021, 06:02:54 PM »
I’m pretty sure they’re pulling out of PS and moving to Generator on the next batch. Prob why the team is skating all the boards that say “Prototype” on them. PS quality has been super inconsistent for a minute

Heesley

• Rep: 3
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2021, 08:27:20 AM »
Guys, you’re right, once you hold the deck in your hands, you notice (I wouldn’t call it lack of quality) the (wo)man made manufacturing which makes each board not feel the same but an unique item with “personallity” and (of course that’s why) inconsistency.

I don’t think it’s an argument against to exclude Quasi from your list. Well, you can see however other issues… but shouldn’t be a big deal, right? What do you guys think about those holes?

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2021, 07:45:54 PM »
Guys, you’re right, once you hold the deck in your hands, you notice (I wouldn’t call it lack of quality) the (wo)man made manufacturing which makes each board not feel the same but an unique item with “personallity” and (of course that’s why) inconsistency.

I don’t think it’s an argument against to exclude Quasi from your list. Well, you can see however other issues… but shouldn’t be a big deal, right? What do you guys think about those holes?

You're not wrong in your feelings. I have Quasi/GX runs where the same two boards are almost completely different depending on their concave and width therein, etc. Annoying if you're looking for consistency, but not bad if your can appreciate the one-off-ness, which at times I do. Otherwise, hearing Quas moving to BBS... SHEESH! Literally just mentioned yearning for this earlier today. Glad I have a grip of PS to go back to, cause I'm sure I don't want one feel from now until I die.

Heesley

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2021, 11:20:32 AM »
(…)
Otherwise, hearing Quas moving to BBS... SHEESH! Literally just mentioned yearning for this earlier today.

Is this just a rumor? Or is it somehow written or preannounced between the lines?

I personally prefer PS, but my son just rides a Baker, is not comparable. For me a skateboard is not a tool or a teenager investment, it’s a relationship with its own personalities… so is life…  :D

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »
Expand Quote
(…)
Otherwise, hearing Quas moving to BBS... SHEESH! Literally just mentioned yearning for this earlier today.
[close]

Is this just a rumor? Or is it somehow written or preannounced between the lines?

I personally prefer PS, but my son just rides a Baker, is not comparable. For me a skateboard is not a tool or a teenager investment, it’s a relationship with its own personalities… so is life…  :D

Rumor most likely, especially on here.

I prefer DSM/NHS wood but their shapes aren't all that...sadly the square NHS 'wide-tip' shape didn't sell at all so it's discontinued.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2021, 02:26:26 PM »
Gilbert's been riding a prototype board and I think that's all the evidence there is to the woodshop switch rumor.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2021, 09:56:00 PM »
Prototype graphics always grabbed my attention, back in the day.

PS is always all over the place, and I wouldn’t recommend them for some. Xen being one (not a sneak diss at all, but if someone wants something accurate/consistent, ps is NOT the answer). I’m a broken record: best and worst boards have been ps. The good ones are really fucking good tho.
I personally do not dig dwindle/nhs, as they feel harsh/fake/overly stiff/chemical/dead, in comparison.
bbs used to be the best. I still like baker boards. I’ve never had a real board that I skated well. Loved Krooked, was my fave, now all their stuff is too long. Anti-Hero was always good, but I had a few during covid and they were very meh.
I like boards that are light, and lively. I do not care about breaking boards. Always taking recs.
I’ve bought too many quasi lately, just based off of ps and dimensions available at the shop. My last 3 have been….ok. But I’m still skating one from December and it’s the shit. Can’t call it.

Heesley

« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2021, 01:58:44 AM »
PS is always all over the place, and I wouldn’t recommend them for some. Xen being one (not a sneak diss at all, but if someone wants something accurate/consistent, ps is NOT the answer).
You are right. PS' inconsistency is "killing" it positively AND negatively. It should not be your first take. However, if you're fine and you like to adapt, just get a Professor board and judge yourself. Is probably the best... Go practical! I recommend to go to the skateshop and watch the shapes PS brands offer.

I’ve bought too many quasi lately, just based off of ps and dimensions available at the shop. My last 3 have been….ok. But I’m still skating one from December and it’s the shit. Can’t call it.
Any link of your deck(s). I'm just curious :D

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2021, 02:03:00 AM »
I've been eyeing a gx1000 8.75 x 32.6. how does the length of psstix compare to ny current BBS att 32.25?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2021, 07:45:03 AM »
Expand Quote
PS is always all over the place, and I wouldn’t recommend them for some. Xen being one (not a sneak diss at all, but if someone wants something accurate/consistent, ps is NOT the answer).
[close]
You are right. PS' inconsistency is "killing" it positively AND negatively. It should not be your first take. However, if you're fine and you like to adapt, just get a Professor board and judge yourself. Is probably the best... Go practical! I recommend to go to the skateshop and watch the shapes PS brands offer.

Expand Quote
[close]
Any link of your deck(s). I'm just curious :D

I never lost pics of my stuff, just lazy.
Ps boards that I’ve bought lately/still skate: glue 8.5 (best board), quasi 8.125 short, strangelove from 2018 that I still skate, quasi pool skater face, and an 8.25 that has a 14.38 wb that I don’t really like, in that order of preference. I skate boards 8-8.5, usually.
Just, temporarily probably, passed thru some heavy madness and have my shit figured out: deck 8-825, shorter, 147s, classic 52s.
Annnnyways, ps will probably always be my favorite, but I get why some don’t like it. When it’s good, it’s so much better than anything I’ve found: lively, the best shapes that are subtle/flatter….
Want to try hlc at some point.
Pretty over bbs boards rn

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2021, 08:00:20 AM »
Quasi moving to BBS is the best thing ever.

Pee nis

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
Is it confirmed they’re actually moving BBS? Since PS measures with concave I can see BBS quasi riding a bit bigger which may feel weird at first. I had a proto 8.25 with a ton of concave for some reason vs usual quasi boards, felt like an FA with stubbier tail and I loved it.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 113
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2021, 11:05:25 AM »
Not sure if the Prototype boards were BBS. I saw Chad Bowers posted on his instagram story a pic of one the boards with "14 WB" written on it so they were probably just trying out new shapes with the shorter wheelbase. Personally hope they still keep the 14.5" 8.5 shape though.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2021, 07:29:45 AM »
Not sure if the Prototype boards were BBS. I saw Chad Bowers posted on his instagram story a pic of one the boards with "14 WB" written on it so they were probably just trying out new shapes with the shorter wheelbase. Personally hope they still keep the 14.5" 8.5 shape though.

Same, and the 8.625. GX runs the same exact sizes/dims/molds.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Measurements:

Listed / Actual

31.75 / 31.5
14.125WB

After putting some hours on this deck, something feels off every time I ride the board backwards.

First thoughts were truck tightness (obviously) and/or kick steepness but after a quick swap of hangers and bushings (front to back) and at a different tightness it still felt off. Swapped to indy from thunder, exact same 'off' feeling riding it backwards...and it really doesn't feel like a truck tightness 'off' feeling because I kept adjusting them/swapping them with the same result.

Riding it normally it feels fine. It's not warped from what I can tell but it does feel like it dips in the middle as if it had a rocker to it...so the only thing I can think of is the board is drilled incorrectly, but if the mounting holes are off why does it feel fine when riding it normally?

I'm shelving it due to bad backwards vibes and the crappy visuals looking down at the wonky tail sanding job.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
The last deck I had was the Justin Henry 8.25 and I just got the BDK reissue in the same shape. I loved the Henry, but the BDK feels soggy as fuck. 5 sessions in and everything else is the same but it’s got zero pop. Is this part of the PS inconsistency y’all are talking about?

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2021, 02:22:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Measurements:

Listed / Actual

31.75 / 31.5
14.125WB

[close]

After putting some hours on this deck, something feels off every time I ride the board backwards.

First thoughts were truck tightness (obviously) and/or kick steepness but after a quick swap of hangers and bushings (front to back) and at a different tightness it still felt off. Swapped to indy from thunder, exact same 'off' feeling riding it backwards...and it really doesn't feel like a truck tightness 'off' feeling because I kept adjusting them/swapping them with the same result.

Riding it normally it feels fine. It's not warped from what I can tell but it does feel like it dips in the middle as if it had a rocker to it...so the only thing I can think of is the board is drilled incorrectly, but if the mounting holes are off why does it feel fine when riding it normally?

I'm shelving it due to bad backwards vibes and the crappy visuals looking down at the wonky tail sanding job.

I will gladly take this burdensome deck off your hands...

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2021, 09:27:31 PM »
anyone know if the new quasi drop tomorrow is gonna still be PS or they finally moving to BBS?

also, and i am going into gear head territory here, does anyone have any board recs for something that is essentially a quasi 8.5 that has a slightly bigger tail? I am trying to get a snazzy tailslide but the quasi 8.5 shape just has a tail that is a little too stubby for comfort. I love the squared offness of it though.

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2021, 06:29:19 AM »
anyone know if the new quasi drop tomorrow is gonna still be PS or they finally moving to BBS?

also, and i am going into gear head territory here, does anyone have any board recs for something that is essentially a quasi 8.5 that has a slightly bigger tail? I am trying to get a snazzy tailslide but the quasi 8.5 shape just has a tail that is a little too stubby for comfort. I love the squared offness of it though.

As much as I’ve loved PS over the years, Quasi switching to BBS would be a total game changer.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2021, 06:31:57 AM »
if they do end up switching my only hope is that theres no change to the shape at all.  i love their 8.5

topfrog10

« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2021, 07:05:21 AM »
i did a bunch of searching last night on sites that already dropped them and it looks like they're still PSfir this drop at least

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2021, 10:31:04 AM »
Looks like it’s still PS and they did away with the shorter 8.25 shape (32.125 X 8.25).  :(
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Pee nis

« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:33 PM »
Looks like it’s still PS and they did away with the shorter 8.25 shape (32.125 X 8.25).  :(

They still have 8.25 protos in the original 8.25 shape I believe. But the other 8.25 are longer with longer WB it appears

MonsPubis

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2021, 01:46:01 PM »
The next drop will be BBS and the original 8.25 shape will be there with a slightly longer tail. It felt real nice

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2021, 02:33:16 PM »
Just dropping in to say that I'm loving skating both the 8.38 and 8.5 shapes with the 14.25 wheelbases. Kicks are perfectly mellow.

topfrog10

« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2021, 03:44:54 PM »
The next drop will be BBS and the original 8.25 shape will be there with a slightly longer tail. It felt real nice

i hope this does not comes across as rude in any way and my apologies if it does, but can i ask your source on this? only asking because i'm willing to hold out on a new deck if this is true. any time frame on that next drop?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They still have 8.25 protos in the original 8.25 shape I believe. But the other 8.25 are longer with longer WB it appears

There are 3 8.25 shapes I’ve emailed them about this before:

1. 14.38 WB and a bit bigger tail.
2. Proto shape that tapers near the tail. This has a flatter nose and is often on the team decks.
3. Square 14.25 WB.