Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 358854 times)

Kunnallisjäte and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1110 on: July 31, 2020, 11:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Best board/shape you guys have had on 6.1s?
[close]
They work like a charm on the Villani football 9.125 shape.

Enjoying them on the Couch shape, got a Villani ordered on its way as well! Good lookin

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1111 on: August 01, 2020, 05:59:25 AM »
Fuck fuck fycj
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:24:19 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1112 on: August 01, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »
Fuck :( condolences Banned

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1113 on: August 02, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Still have not skated my new 5.0 Lows. My ankle does ye olde swell, just from walking around at work lately, so I am in no shape to get on a board currently. (I have mega tendon damage). They sure look nice, waiting on a setup though. May have to hold off until fall, pretty sure I have a bit of Tim O'Connoritis of the ankle. I do enjoy the lowrider look of the setup
[close]

That sucks! Ankles are shitty. I’m trying to lose weight to help my lower extremities....rn I get to the point where I crouch down to explode into some flippery and then just....nope. Stand back up, slowly, take some more pushes. Too much mid leg pain. Anyways, hopefully you can find a way to work that ankle back into some shape. Rehab!
[close]

Also trying to lose some weight. I could lose eh 15-20 lbs. Pretty sure it's mostly bloat from Dr. Pepper. I am addicted to that shit. I did go for the bike ride last night in the rain, so I'm kind of proud of myself for that. I do a bit of stretching but I procrastinate on it a lot more. I think once fall is here, I always get more motivated. My ankle does appreciate that work, that riding up a hill on a bike, puts into it. It kind of seems like... 2 weeks of bike riding affords me 3-4 days of skating, but I'm pretty sure I need to ride a bike every day. (This also frustrates me because time riding a bike, is time i'd prefer to be skating of course)
[close]

Re: the ankle,

I broke my leg a few years ago and got a super bad ankle sprain the the process. In PT they gave me a bunch of therabands to use at home and those were super helpful...great low impact way to starch and build up small muscle tissue. It helped me recover and kept things from atrophying.

https://orthonc.com/uploads/pdf/Ankle_Theraband.pdf

Inexpensive and you can do them while you work or watch TV or whatever.

I've thrashed my ankles so many times and I thought I would never skate without a brace again at one point. It doesn't seem as common in the US, but in Europe we use balance boards for athletes a lot, especially in soccer. My physical therapist gave me some exercises for my knee before so I just started doing them for my ankle and the results were super fuckin good.. It's been a few years but I have zero ankle problems now.

If you don't have one of these, get one right away and just stand on it with one foot at the time and write your name with your other foot 5-10 times with each leg every day. It doesn't take that long but it will strengthen your ankle, along with your knees and thighs, so fucking much. 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1114 on: August 03, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
tried my friends 5.6 standards pretty loose and the stability for setting up tricks was godly. really on the fence if i should dip my toes into truck madness again and get a pair of 5.6 hollows for my 8.5 hockey.

loving my 151 hollows but if i can run ventures equally loose while keeping the trademarked stability.....might have to convert
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1115 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »
tried my friends 5.6 standards pretty loose and the stability for setting up tricks was godly. really on the fence if i should dip my toes into truck madness again and get a pair of 5.6 hollows for my 8.5 hockey.

loving my 151 hollows but if i can run ventures equally loose while keeping the trademarked stability.....might have to convert

Ventures are a lil bit more stable for setting up your feet in awkward positions for certain tricks.... going from 8.75 trucks to 8.25 sounds a bit extreme though

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1116 on: August 03, 2020, 01:26:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ventures are a lil bit more stable for setting up your feet in awkward positions for certain tricks.... going from 8.75 trucks to 8.25 sounds a bit extreme though
was planning on running extra washers on the axle to push it out a bit. im more worried about the pop feel than the axle length coming from thunder forged. is it much different than venture forged? if so then ill forget about it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #1117 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
was planning on running extra washers on the axle to push it out a bit. im more worried about the pop feel than the axle length coming from thunder forged. is it much different than venture forged? if so then ill forget about it

When I briefly tried Thunder hollow light 151s coming from Venture 5.8s with forged plates, the pop feel was different. Thunders were a bit lighter and quicker, ventures a bit heftier but I'd say they're very similar and that its fairly easy to get used to either way. Might as well just get 5.8s not 5.6s if you skate 8.5s.... though the best recommendation would just be stick to whatever trucks you have and switch them out when you hit axle or they break.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #1118 on: August 03, 2020, 06:18:33 PM »

I wholeheartedly condone getting some ventures and swapping the bushings. I got a set of 5.8s with bones softs, no bottom washer, on a hockey 8.5" and it's a dream. All the turn I need but still stable.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1119 on: August 03, 2020, 06:50:08 PM »
Anyone rocking V-Light / V-Hollow hanger with a cast baseplate? I'm going down in board length and WB (31.75 to 31.6 / 14.25 to 14) with steep kicks. Still looking for that heavy / floaty pop without creating an unskateable monstrosity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #1120 on: August 03, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
Anyone rocking V-Light / V-Hollow hanger with a cast baseplate? I'm going down in board length and WB (31.75 to 31.6 / 14.25 to 14) with steep kicks. Still looking for that heavy / floaty pop without creating an unskateable monstrosity.
Rocking the ti hangar and cast. Big fan

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1121 on: August 03, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Rocking the ti hangar and cast. Big fan

Cool, grabbing a pair of cast plate Ventures to stick onto my V-Hollow hangers
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1122 on: August 04, 2020, 10:54:57 AM »
Just bought a Prime Wood 7.5 x 31 yellow blank so I can re-live that size.
will have my polished 5.0 Lows on there, Carroll Diamond 7/8" allen,
Spitfire Bighead 52s and Swiss.

Inspiration has been watching a lot of Mouse & Chocolate Tour.
Also been working out my lame ankle in hopes that by the time the board shows up,
I can get some skating in.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #1123 on: August 04, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »
man I hope there is some 5.2 Hollow Light Lo's going to be coming outta production soon before I hit the hangar on mine.

8.1 with 5.2's and 2 inside washers on the wheels has been the perfect set up for me lately . Finally learned good 360 flips after 20 years of skating.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1124 on: August 04, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »
man I hope there is some 5.2 Hollow Light Lo's going to be coming outta production soon before I hit the hangar on mine.

8.1 with 5.2's and 2 inside washers on the wheels has been the perfect set up for me lately . Finally learned good 360 flips after 20 years of skating.

Tactics and many other places are selling 5.2 hollows already. 5.6 and higher seem to be a lot harder to find.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1125 on: August 04, 2020, 01:28:33 PM »

Tomorrow I will. Yes!!! Haha

I'll definitely do a comparison because I'm about to hit axle on my raws
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1126 on: August 04, 2020, 07:43:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tactics and many other places are selling 5.2 hollows already. 5.6 and higher seem to be a lot harder to find.

The 8.25" seems to be way more popular than I think the industry thought it would be.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1127 on: August 04, 2020, 08:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The 8.25" seems to be way more popular than I think the industry thought it would be.

I'm riding the pair I got from you and I've been loving it. 5.25 feels small for anything over 8".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1128 on: August 05, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Still have not skated my new 5.0 Lows. My ankle does ye olde swell, just from walking around at work lately, so I am in no shape to get on a board currently. (I have mega tendon damage). They sure look nice, waiting on a setup though. May have to hold off until fall, pretty sure I have a bit of Tim O'Connoritis of the ankle. I do enjoy the lowrider look of the setup
[close]

That sucks! Ankles are shitty. I’m trying to lose weight to help my lower extremities....rn I get to the point where I crouch down to explode into some flippery and then just....nope. Stand back up, slowly, take some more pushes. Too much mid leg pain. Anyways, hopefully you can find a way to work that ankle back into some shape. Rehab!
[close]

Also trying to lose some weight. I could lose eh 15-20 lbs. Pretty sure it's mostly bloat from Dr. Pepper. I am addicted to that shit. I did go for the bike ride last night in the rain, so I'm kind of proud of myself for that. I do a bit of stretching but I procrastinate on it a lot more. I think once fall is here, I always get more motivated. My ankle does appreciate that work, that riding up a hill on a bike, puts into it. It kind of seems like... 2 weeks of bike riding affords me 3-4 days of skating, but I'm pretty sure I need to ride a bike every day. (This also frustrates me because time riding a bike, is time i'd prefer to be skating of course)
[close]

Re: the ankle,

I broke my leg a few years ago and got a super bad ankle sprain the the process. In PT they gave me a bunch of therabands to use at home and those were super helpful...great low impact way to starch and build up small muscle tissue. It helped me recover and kept things from atrophying.

https://orthonc.com/uploads/pdf/Ankle_Theraband.pdf

Inexpensive and you can do them while you work or watch TV or whatever.
[close]

I've thrashed my ankles so many times and I thought I would never skate without a brace again at one point. It doesn't seem as common in the US, but in Europe we use balance boards for athletes a lot, especially in soccer. My physical therapist gave me some exercises for my knee before so I just started doing them for my ankle and the results were super fuckin good.. It's been a few years but I have zero ankle problems now.

If you don't have one of these, get one right away and just stand on it with one foot at the time and write your name with your other foot 5-10 times with each leg every day. It doesn't take that long but it will strengthen your ankle, along with your knees and thighs, so fucking much. 

All I can envision is you standing on the board with your good foot and sticking your bad foot out in front you spelling your name in air (is that what you mean?).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:13:41 PM by Xen »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #1129 on: August 07, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »
Im skating a 5.8 as of now. Has anyone ever skated a pair with a wider deck?

I want to put these on a 9.2 Simon Bannerot deck that has this crazy short wheelbase.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1130 on: August 08, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »
Im skating a 5.8 as of now. Has anyone ever skated a pair with a wider deck?

I want to put these on a 9.2 Simon Bannerot deck that has this crazy short wheelbase.

I ran mine with 6.1s, sit perfectly flush. Now running them on the love seat 9” and they also sit flush. You’ll be okay, but will probably be a little tippy. Run extra washers inside your wheels.

I tried the Venture’s after a suggestion from someone on here, pop feel is AMAZING but the turn is a bit odd considering the short wheelbase IMO and switching back to 159s this week.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1131 on: August 10, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »
tried 5.6s hangars on thunder forged plates with riptide pivots and landed the best kickflips of my life. stability is on a whole new level even with rattly trucks and the turn is like diet thunder (might be the baseplate?)

thunder will always have a place in my heart but im switching over to venture for the time being. hyped to learn and land some flip tricks and not get crazy wheelbite :)

picking up a set of hollow 5.8s in the coming weeks. after a meh experience with 6.1s i finally get the hype

edit: if i can find some
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:47:05 PM by off »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1132 on: August 11, 2020, 02:47:06 AM »
tried 5.6s hangars on thunder forged plates with riptide pivots and landed the best kickflips of my life. stability is on a whole new level even with rattly trucks and the turn is like diet thunder (might be the baseplate?)

thunder will always have a place in my heart but im switching over to venture for the time being. hyped to learn and land some flip tricks and not get crazy wheelbite :)

picking up a set of hollow 5.8s in the coming weeks. after a meh experience with 6.1s i finally get the hype

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

What was the eventual WB extension on this truck given the combination of Venture hanger + Thunder Baseplate? Any downsides?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Global Moderator

« Reply #1133 on: August 11, 2020, 06:18:59 AM »

Yup. 5.0 Lo Hollow hanger with cast baseplate. Love it!!!

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1134 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
[close]

What was the eventual WB extension on this truck given the combination of Venture hanger + Thunder Baseplate? Any downsides?
yeah the setup seems crazy but i didnt switch plates due to a mix of laziness and wanting to keep the "same" height.

measured the axle 2 axle wb with a 14.25 deck and got a little under 17.25....the pop feel doesnt feel like an indy....for the sake of my mental health id just say try it out yourself. cant explain it without contradicting everything i thought i knew but its working. gotta leave it at that before my head explodes :o

edit: too late down the wormhole again.
measured the 5.6 cast stock and got +3.18 to the wb. my 151 hollows are at +3.25. my frankentruck is at +2.875. how that makes any sense, not sure. never was a fan of wb shortening trucks but these just work.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:45:49 AM by off »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1135 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
So I been on the hollows enough to say it's definitely my bag.

Im tr trying a different shape tonight. But it's One of the best setups I've had with the dlx 8.28. Manny machine yo.

The axles aren't going anywhere either. Im was landing primo like every other try at the many pad.

Haven't done too many grinds yet. I got to put the 101 a classics on with the ceramic bearings so I don't get heat stroke again

I strongly recommend anyone considering getting bigger ventures get the hollows.
(A)pl(E)

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1136 on: August 11, 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
I bought the 5.0 hi gino ventures just so I could have a gold cast plate on my 5.6 Tit hanger instead of the forged plates ;D

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1137 on: August 11, 2020, 01:11:23 PM »
y'all wild

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1138 on: August 11, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
Thankfully Indy sells baselates for $6 so I didn't have to do that  ;D

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1139 on: August 16, 2020, 07:59:38 PM »
are forged ventures actually the same height as cast? my common sense is telling me now but every site with measurements lists them at 53.5mm