Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353733 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1170 on: September 01, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »
Hot wheels.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #1171 on: September 01, 2020, 09:24:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^

switched to ventures from riding indys for a solid 10 years. had no problems adjusting to it. turning radius is similar overall, but more initial pressure is needed to make it turn, if that makes sense. which makes the truck feel more stable and less wobbly when you approach a ledge for example. i really like mine and will probably stick to ventures for the foreseeable future. no idea how high the trucks are compared to each other, but ventures have a shitton of meat on the hanger to grind through, they seem to grind down rather easy though, just keep that in mind.
[close]
As Ben Degros said, they have a lot of lean before the turn. I usually ride Venture 5.2 or 5.6 and went out for a cruise on a set of Indy 139, the Indys despite being less worn in immediately had a surf-y turn. Height wise the Indy is 55 and the Venture is 53.5, pretty negligible but I do have the best success on grinds with Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo, by far the best pinch of the Venture family. They do have a harder grind that Thunder or Indys but I like when the hanger bites into the ledge instead of slicing through.
[close]

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

Good to know about the turning on Ventures, im sure that is something I could get easily used to. I mostly skate ledges, flatbars, mellow handrails, and minis/qp’s so figured they would still perform well on those things. Main thing I was curious about was the grind clearance off ledges. Lately feel like my Indys kinda drag or lag behind when coming off a grind but might be cus theyre almost 4yrs old.
Venture have way better grind clearance than Indy or thunder. Makes Smith grinds and feebles way easier. Crooks pinch like a dream too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1172 on: September 01, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^

switched to ventures from riding indys for a solid 10 years. had no problems adjusting to it. turning radius is similar overall, but more initial pressure is needed to make it turn, if that makes sense. which makes the truck feel more stable and less wobbly when you approach a ledge for example. i really like mine and will probably stick to ventures for the foreseeable future. no idea how high the trucks are compared to each other, but ventures have a shitton of meat on the hanger to grind through, they seem to grind down rather easy though, just keep that in mind.
[close]
As Ben Degros said, they have a lot of lean before the turn. I usually ride Venture 5.2 or 5.6 and went out for a cruise on a set of Indy 139, the Indys despite being less worn in immediately had a surf-y turn. Height wise the Indy is 55 and the Venture is 53.5, pretty negligible but I do have the best success on grinds with Venture 5.2 V-Hollow Lo, by far the best pinch of the Venture family. They do have a harder grind that Thunder or Indys but I like when the hanger bites into the ledge instead of slicing through.
[close]

Good to know about the turning on Ventures, im sure that is something I could get easily used to. I mostly skate ledges, flatbars, mellow handrails, and minis/qp’s so figured they would still perform well on those things. Main thing I was curious about was the grind clearance off ledges. Lately feel like my Indys kinda drag or lag behind when coming off a grind but might be cus theyre almost 4yrs old.
[close]
Venture have way better grind clearance than Indy or thunder. Makes Smith grinds and feebles way easier. Crooks pinch like a dream too.

For sure, I've developed a psychological dependence on them for my crooked grinds. I'm not sure how much better the kingpin clearance is on the Ventures versus Thunder / Indys, but I've not hung up yet, probably don't dip my Smith grinds enough.

Better slide than Thunders too, you get that sweet baseplate slide instead of wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1173 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

For sure, I've developed a psychological dependence on them for my crooked grinds. I'm not sure how much better the kingpin clearance is on the Ventures versus Thunder / Indys, but I've not hung up yet, probably don't dip my Smith grinds enough.

Better slide than Thunders too, you get that sweet baseplate slide instead of wheels.

Yussss thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. Ive been having issues clearing off the crooks, feebles, and smiths, especially cus I dip hard on em, so this really helps.

Yeah im sold finna cop my first pair of Ventures, but gonna keep going on my Indys till I grind down to the axel since theyre almost there :)

Appreciate the info guys!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1174 on: September 02, 2020, 08:49:19 AM »
I've not been out in the streets much (and no parks); pretty much just flatland and skating my bench/rail...no need to actually carve or turn as my area, while sufficient, doesn't allow for lots of turning around so the Ventures have worked out really well; the wheelbase is the only thing giving me trick weirdness.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1175 on: September 02, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
anyone have a description of the venture superlite models? is it forged baseplate with hollow axles or forged with solid axles
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Junglist

« Reply #1176 on: September 03, 2020, 12:14:09 AM »
I might be wrong but I think superlites aren’t made anymore, same with the featherlites, I think that was their designation between low and mid/high truck models at the time.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1177 on: September 03, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »
I might be wrong but I think superlites aren’t made anymore, same with the featherlites, I think that was their designation between low and mid/high truck models at the time.

Exactly.
(A)pl(E)

Junglist

« Reply #1178 on: September 03, 2020, 02:24:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly.
Hell yeah! First thing I’ve been right about all year! Time to get drunk!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1179 on: September 03, 2020, 02:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly.
[close]
Hell yeah! First thing I’ve been right about all year! Time to get drunk!
its 5:30 EST so cheers!
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: September 04, 2020, 09:11:42 PM »
Anyone ride 8.125 boards with 5.2 Lo? Thought the bigger 5.6 would give more stability and rooms for grinds but I'm not a fan of the added heft. I rode it on a 8.125 x 31.8 x 14.125 poo feel was too light with case plates, too heavy with forged plates.

My 5.2s are also more worn in so they grind nicer, plus I like the reduced height. I've been enjoying riding them with cast plates for the reduced WB extension.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »
Currently on v-hollow lights 5.6; just purchased standard polished. The idea was to move hollow hanger onto cast baseplates. Now I’m thinking about running the standard polished as-is first to see if I like the added heft. Anyone have experience riding both and/or a strong preference between the two?

Junglist

« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2020, 10:43:16 AM »
Currently on v-hollow lights 5.6; just purchased standard polished. The idea was to move hollow hanger onto cast baseplates. Now I’m thinking about running the standard polished as-is first to see if I like the added heft. Anyone have experience riding both and/or a strong preference between the two?
In my post history I’m sure you’ll see I never shut the fuck up about how the forged baseplate makes the truck even better, and not taking away anything that makes the cast good. If you have both try them though, there’s nothing to lose there.

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2020, 11:16:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
In my post history I’m sure you’ll see I never shut the fuck up about how the forged baseplate makes the truck even better, and not taking away anything that makes the cast good. If you have both try them though, there’s nothing to lose there.

Thanks for the response. I ride 54mm wheels, so I thought the slight lift of the casts might help a bit with wheel bite. Also, I have read the cast pulls in the wheelbase a tiny amount. I will play around with polished standards and then a frankentruck and see what feels best. All said and done, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up back on the v hollow lights (which is to say, right where I started). Damn the madness.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1184 on: September 06, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the response. I ride 54mm wheels, so I thought the slight lift of the casts might help a bit with wheel bite. Also, I have read the cast pulls in the wheelbase a tiny amount. I will play around with polished standards and then a frankentruck and see what feels best. All said and done, I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up back on the v hollow lights (which is to say, right where I started). Damn the madness.

I get way more wheel bite on my raws.

It could be I run a flat washer on the raws? They definitely turn way better.
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2020, 07:57:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Messed around with both cast and forged baseplates on my 5.2 V-Hollow. I go cast when riding shorter boards with shorter WB (31.6 x 14), forged on longer boards with short WB (31.8 x 14.125). Personal preference for the latter since I pop heavy and going cast gives me some ghost pop since it's too light with a wimpy pop.

What worked best for me was pairing truck sizes to deck sizes. Tried riding a 8.125 with 5.6 V-Hollow with both cast and forged and the pendulum swung both ways. Cast - board was too light, I was jumping 3 feet, my board only wanted to come up 2. Forged - board felt too heavy. But going down to a 5.2 really put the setup together; the proportion felt home.

(yeah I'm that much of a baby about dimensions)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
« Reply #1186 on: September 07, 2020, 01:29:13 AM »
Anyone ride 8.125 boards with 5.2 Lo? Thought the bigger 5.6 would give more stability and rooms for grinds but I'm not a fan of the added heft. I rode it on a 8.125 x 31.8 x 14.125 poo feel was too light with case plates, too heavy with forged plates.

My 5.2s are also more worn in so they grind nicer, plus I like the reduced height. I've been enjoying riding them with cast plates for the reduced WB extension.
Yup I just went back from the 5.6 to 5.2 low on the primitive 8.125. It’s amazing and all my tricks I was missing from ghost pop are back to feeling comfortable.
Welcome to slap message board

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #1187 on: September 07, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
Question: the ghost pop problem people keep referring to is due to extra height, extra wheelbase, or a combination of both?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #1188 on: September 07, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »

5.2s on a DLX 8.06 Full Shape feels awesome. I dont really have much madness for gear though. I just think of my board as and 8” and used the venture chart to size the trucks. They’re also v-light his but I dont notice much, just like them more or maybe the same as indy 139s with bones meds.

Fuck, I didnt even adjust them now that I think about it haha.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1189 on: September 07, 2020, 11:05:53 AM »
Question: the ghost pop problem people keep referring to is due to extra height, extra wheelbase, or a combination of both?

People blaming the gear and not themselves... :P

Seriously (?) tho, it's a combination of truck height + degree of kick + kick length (and WB of course) and how your pop works...it's different for everyone, e.g., I ollie better on steep, short tails few fingers of flat than I do on long, mellow kicks with two+ fingers of flat, and since I tend to ride 52/53.5mm trucks, it's not much difference when it comes to adjustments of I switch truck brands.

I don't buy into the idea that truck geo has anything to do with your pop...so when people say Venture pop is 'better' it's due to the height of the truck..

Junglist

« Reply #1190 on: September 07, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »
hahahahahahahaha how the fuck is ghost pop real hahahahahaha just put more effort into your ollie like bro pop your board

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1191 on: September 07, 2020, 01:31:22 PM »
hahahahahahahaha how the fuck is ghost pop real hahahahahaha just put more effort into your ollie like bro pop your board

Lol I assume this is the solution, but I was trying to see if I understand what people were talking about.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #1192 on: September 07, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yup I just went back from the 5.6 to 5.2 low on the primitive 8.125. It’s amazing and all my tricks I was missing from ghost pop are back to feeling comfortable.

also ride an 8.18 or 8.125 on 5.2 Lows, quite possible my best set up I've experienced yet.

Junglist

« Reply #1193 on: September 07, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol I assume this is the solution, but I was trying to see if I understand what people were talking about.
I'm just playing lol theres just a lot of terms that confuse me when people talk about this type of stuff

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1194 on: September 07, 2020, 06:18:42 PM »
i had the ghost pop thing, it's also called not having any pop, or lacking pop. or attempting to pop, but actually barely scraping.

you can overcome this by taping a brick to your kickfoot, to increase downforce on the pop. this, however, will make it harder to follow with that foot, but works out your ankles. you can try and balance things out by taping a brick to your other foot as well, or play around with left/right ratios for manuals.

you can also tape a brick under your ventures to keep your board from rolling, if rolling on your board concerns you.

if the skateboard is too long to put in your backpack, just take an axe and hack it in half. a good alternative to carrying your board with a backpack would be an urn, but you need to burn down your board to ashes first.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1195 on: September 07, 2020, 07:27:23 PM »
Instructions unclear, skateboard burned down me.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #1196 on: September 08, 2020, 07:20:09 AM »
Ok I'm getting a second pair of ventures for a 7.5 DOA board I have ordered.

So I usually ride the run of the mill cast Los. But I want to get Hollow Los.

My question is ... Is there any difference in height or wheelbase with the normal ones and the hollow ones ? The reason in asking is I could have sworn I saw that written somewhere.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1197 on: September 08, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
Instructions unclear, skateboard burned down me.

not sure what was so unclear, just know that if you have trouble incinerating the skateboard and are missing an urn a good way to deal with this is to get a bodybag, put the board in, go to a crematory and pretend your board is a dead person so they burn it down for you. you can usually purchase an urn in the same go, too.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1198 on: September 08, 2020, 09:26:27 AM »

My question is ... Is there any difference in height or wheelbase with the normal ones and the hollow ones ? The reason in asking is I could have sworn I saw that written somewhere.

Standard Ventures with Cast Baseplate : +3.25" to WB
Light / hollow ventures with forged baseplate: +3.4 - 3.5" to WB

Despite the addition to WB, forged WB combine with the hollow kingpin (and or axle) to reduce overall weight to compensate for the wheelbase addition.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #1199 on: September 08, 2020, 10:06:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Standard Ventures with Cast Baseplate : +3.25" to WB
Light / hollow ventures with forged baseplate: +3.4 - 3.5" to WB

Despite the addition to WB, forged WB combine with the hollow kingpin (and or axle) to reduce overall weight to compensate for the wheelbase addition.

Great help man thank you.

I don't want to mess with my WB.

Although the +.25 would be hardly noticable surely?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in