Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353738 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1200 on: September 08, 2020, 12:47:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Instructions unclear, skateboard burned down me.
[close]

not sure what was so unclear, just know that if you have trouble incinerating the skateboard and are missing an urn a good way to deal with this is to get a bodybag, put the board in, go to a crematory and pretend your board is a dead person so they burn it down for you. you can usually purchase an urn in the same go, too.

If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1201 on: September 08, 2020, 07:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ok I'm getting a second pair of ventures for a 7.5 DOA board I have ordered.

So I usually ride the run of the mill cast Los. But I want to get Hollow Los.

My question is ... Is there any difference in height or wheelbase with the normal ones and the hollow ones ? The reason in asking is I could have sworn I saw that written somewhere.
[close]

Standard Ventures with Cast Baseplate : +3.25" to WB
Light / hollow ventures with forged baseplate: +3.4 - 3.5" to WB

Despite the addition to WB, forged WB combine with the hollow kingpin (and or axle) to reduce overall weight to compensate for the wheelbase addition.
[close]

Great help man thank you.

I don't want to mess with my WB.

Although the +.25 would be hardly noticable surely?

Depends if you're a Dandelion (adapt to your setup) or Orchid (anal about your setup). I definitely felt the difference riding cast and forged on the 5.6.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #1202 on: September 09, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My question is ... Is there any difference in height or wheelbase with the normal ones and the hollow ones ? The reason in asking is I could have sworn I saw that written somewhere.
[close]

Despite the addition to WB, forged WB combine with the hollow kingpin (and or axle) to reduce overall weight to compensate for the wheelbase addition.
[close]

[close]

Depends if you're a Dandelion (adapt to your setup) or Orchid (anal about your setup). I definitely felt the difference riding cast and forged on the 5.6.

I think I'm an orchid but I'm gonna try to become a dandelion.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1203 on: September 09, 2020, 01:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think I'm an orchid but I'm gonna try to become a dandelion.

Spending more time skating and less time on Slap is the first step.

(He says as he posts on the message board in the middle of a beautiful sunny day perfect for skating)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #1204 on: September 09, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
I hope I’m a dandelion, but I’m probably just a run of the mill stenchblossom.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1205 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:43 AM »
finally got used to the height change of my setup with the venture lows and im in love. oddly enough figured out how to pop waist high (tall people waist) on the lowest truck ive ever owned. stability helps me focus more on the trick than squirming all over the place, and doesnt have to be jiggly loose to enjoy the turn. i could slide on the iron nyc curbs for miles. everything has gotten so much easier in the last 2 weeks and i swear its not just the marketing.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1206 on: September 10, 2020, 05:30:41 AM »
finally got used to the height change of my setup with the venture lows and im in love. oddly enough figured out how to pop waist high (tall people waist) on the lowest truck ive ever owned. stability helps me focus more on the trick than squirming all over the place, and doesnt have to be jiggly loose to enjoy the turn. i could slide on the iron nyc curbs for miles. everything has gotten so much easier in the last 2 weeks and i swear its not just the marketing.

I don't think I've ever said this because there is no rational basis for it, but I've always felt that being tall (I was already 6' when I started skating at 13) made me prefer a lower setup to compensate for for my higher center of gravity.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1207 on: September 10, 2020, 05:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't think I've ever said this because there is no rational basis for it, but I've always felt that being tall (I was already 6' when I started skating at 13) made me prefer a lower setup to compensate for for my higher center of gravity.
Interesting thought and i have never considered that either being 6'4". But I do feel better on a lower set up as well.. less tippy.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1208 on: September 10, 2020, 06:12:05 AM »
i'm 6'4 also and couldnt agree more.  i skated Ventures as a kid and then it was Indy my whole life until about 2 years ago.  ever since coming back to them my skating overall is just more confident

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1209 on: September 10, 2020, 08:24:47 AM »
yeah just started riding a pair of Ti Indy's which are 53.5mm high, same as ventures, so it's not bad - don't think i could go lower with wheel size/wheelbite

ballintoohard

« Reply #1210 on: September 13, 2020, 08:11:57 PM »
So are all you tall dudes on Venture Low?

I skated Venture Low and Thunders growing up and was 6 foot 3 at age 14. I have never really gotten used to Stage 11 and the best Indy's have felt is when I had some 139 Forged Ti. I like my Thunder Ti lites a lot, which are the lowest of the Thunders but maybe going to 147 or Venture Low makes more sense.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1211 on: September 13, 2020, 09:06:51 PM »

I skated Venture Low and Thunders growing up and was 6 foot 3 at age 14. I have never really gotten used to Stage 11 and the best Indy's have felt is when I had some 139 Forged Ti. I like my Thunder Ti lites a lot, which are the lowest of the Thunders but maybe going to 147 or Venture Low makes more sense.
i cant recommend venture lows/steep kicks enough especially for taller skaters. board low to the ground feels ideal to me at 6'5. i now realize why indys at 55mm were the worst trucks i ever owned. felt like standing on a balance beam when riding as loose as i prefer with my lanky body. getting high and stable pop is so much easier when the tail is lower. never going cast for anything again, wide and low is now a requirement for any future setup. added WB is a plus for my long ass legs.

this thread is dead (sadly) but has tall pal setups
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109009.0

everyone skates differently and different shit but for someone who does a lot of jumping, id say 52mm height trucks and below have worked the best for me.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1212 on: September 13, 2020, 09:42:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i cant recommend venture lows/steep kicks enough especially for taller skaters. board low to the ground feels ideal to me at 6'5. i now realize why indys at 55mm were the worst trucks i ever owned. felt like standing on a balance beam when riding as loose as i prefer with my lanky body. getting high and stable pop is so much easier when the tail is lower. never going cast for anything again, wide and low is now a requirement for any future setup. added WB is a plus for my long ass legs.

everyone skates differently and different shit but for someone who does a lot of jumping, id say 52mm height trucks and below have worked the best for me.

I always rode wide (8.3s) and low (pre Thunder 149 revamp thunder hollows @49mm with bones meds were all I rode, with 53mm wheels, WB was a bitch but it got me some height)...when I watched a vid with Lewis Marnnell (RIP) where he said wide and low, man...I felt vindicated...and dropped my wheels size.

Indy Ti (forged) are the highest I can go (sorry ATGs we had to break up)...the tippy balance beam for 55mm trucks is how I feel as well, it's just wrong...I'm only 5'10" but I feel the same...even better now that I've dropped down to 51/50mm wheels again...maybe it's the 90s skater in me :P I've got an 8.3 with 8.3 ML and 50mm wheels and it's a fucking blast...if Venture would make a 5.6 low, I'd bite but the forged 5.6 is the best we're gonna get I think.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1213 on: September 13, 2020, 10:38:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I always rode wide (8.3s) and low (pre Thunder 149 revamp thunder hollows @49mm with bones meds were all I rode, with 53mm wheels, WB was a bitch but it got me some height)...when I watched a vid with Lewis Marnnell (RIP) where he said wide and low, man...I felt vindicated...and dropped my wheels size.

Indy Ti (forged) are the highest I can go (sorry ATGs we had to break up)...the tippy balance beam for 55mm trucks is how I feel as well, it's just wrong...I'm only 5'10" but I feel the same...even better now that I've dropped down to 51/50mm wheels again...maybe it's the 90s skater in me :P I've got an 8.3 with 8.3 ML and 50mm wheels and it's a fucking blast...if Venture would make a 5.6 low, I'd bite but the forged 5.6 is the best we're gonna get I think.
im so satisfied with my 5.2 low and 8.5 experiment that i would shell out for a 5.6 low/8.75 deck combo. based on the 6.1 release, im assuming it would be a long wait for the forged options but thats really the dream truck. fuck, id even use my own forged plates with the raw hangers during that wait.

with all ML trucks being 47mm tall (7.13 - 8.75 axles), i cant help but think the 5.8 and 6.1 get the low treatment sometime down the road. venture has a lot less selection than thunder and that could level things out a bit. just speculation though....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1214 on: September 13, 2020, 10:56:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
im so satisfied with my 5.2 low and 8.5 experiment that i would shell out for a 5.6 low/8.75 deck combo. based on the 6.1 release, im assuming it would be a long wait for the forged options but thats really the dream truck. fuck, id even use my own forged plates with the raw hangers during that wait.

with all ML trucks being 47mm tall (7.13 - 8.75 axles), i cant help but think the 5.8 and 6.1 get the low treatment sometime down the road. venture has a lot less selection than thunder and that could level things out a bit. just speculation though....

I helped a tall friend (6 ft, tall by Asian standards.) setup a board since he wanted to get back on board. I went with Thunder Team Hollow plus 53mm Bones Easy Streets but after reading input from you guys it sounds like forged would have been a better option. I'll see if I can experiment with him going with Thunder Hollow Lights when I get a pair in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #1215 on: September 13, 2020, 11:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I helped a tall friend (6 ft, tall by Asian standards.) setup a board since he wanted to get back on board. I went with Thunder Team Hollow plus 53mm Bones Easy Streets but after reading input from you guys it sounds like forged would have been a better option. I'll see if I can experiment with him going with Thunder Hollow Lights when I get a pair in.

Nah you should just keep him out of this rabbithole lol. I'm 6 5 and Asian and I've skated Thunders with forged and cast plates and both were fine.

Though I also tried Tensor atgs and at 55mm found them a little bit tippy. The past few years I've skated Indy Tis, Ventures with forged plates, Thunders with forged and hollow plates, as well as Aces, so nothing approaching the 55mm territory. Wheel size has varied a lot though, from 55mm all the way to worn down 47mm wheels. I would generally agree with the sentiment that I prefer a lower setup, but not sure if its related to height or just what I grew up skating.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1216 on: September 14, 2020, 12:25:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah you should just keep him out of this rabbithole lol. I'm 6 5 and Asian and I've skated Thunders with forged and cast plates and both were fine.

Though I also tried Tensor atgs and at 55mm found them a little bit tippy. The past few years I've skated Indy Tis, Ventures with forged plates, Thunders with forged and hollow plates, as well as Aces, so nothing approaching the 55mm territory. Wheel size has varied a lot though, from 55mm all the way to worn down 47mm wheels. I would generally agree with the sentiment that I prefer a lower setup, but not sure if its related to height or just what I grew up skating.

Itchy hands, I'll leave the madness to myself.

Anyone have success with Ventures + short WB decks? I'm planning on riding an 8 x 31.6 x 14 next, steep kicks with medium concave. Thinking if I should stick to 5.2 V-Hollow Lo with forged or swap out for cast.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #1217 on: September 14, 2020, 01:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Anyone have success with Ventures + short WB decks? I'm planning on riding an 8 x 31.6 x 14 next, steep kicks with medium concave. Thinking if I should stick to 5.2 V-Hollow Lo with forged or swap out for cast.

I'm on forged + 14.25 wb, but thats somewhat short for me since I used to ride 14.5 with Indys with forged plates before going to Ventures. I tried a 14 on my forged ventures briefly, but it was just too small to handle. If I was shorter or gradually made my way down I could totally see it working though. I imagine I'd prefer forged over cast, but don't know for sure.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: September 14, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's the combo where Venture shine 14"-14.25" - *I* wouldn't go any longer but some have with great success...in all honesty, the overall effects, due to trucks pulling in and out a WB, is exacerbated on these forums ;)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1219 on: September 14, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »
...the overall effects ... is exacerbated on these forums ;)
I wouldn't even be here if we weren't splitting hairs at this point

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: September 14, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
Expand Quote
...the overall effects ... is exacerbated on these forums ;)
[close]
I wouldn't even be here if we weren't splitting hairs at this point

You and me both!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:05 AM »
I like to think of all of you as brother (and sisters), fueling our collective madness together.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ballintoohard

« Reply #1222 on: September 14, 2020, 10:21:30 AM »
I just got a Worrest Twin Tail, which is 14.4 WB with 5.6 Hi and 52 Loopholes. I will also try my 148 Ti Lites, which are a tad shorter.

But in my return to skating my best setup was actually an 8.25 Krooked Full with 139 Ti Forged Indys and tippy bones on 50s. So maybe this all makes sense. I hated standard Indy on a Polar 8.5 with 54 Conical Fulls

shawngreg

« Reply #1223 on: September 14, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
can any of the bros confirm for me that 5.8 v-lights are 52mm tall as opposed to regular 5.8s at 53.5?  i keep seeing conflicting info. 
and is it just the forged plate that cuts down on the height?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1224 on: September 14, 2020, 02:53:36 PM »
can any of the bros confirm for me that 5.8 v-lights are 52mm tall as opposed to regular 5.8s at 53.5?  i keep seeing conflicting info. 
dlx forged plates take 1mm off cast. dont have calipers but using the thunder chart for reference

shawngreg

« Reply #1225 on: September 15, 2020, 03:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dlx forged plates take 1mm off cast. dont have calipers but using the thunder chart for reference

thanks dude. i was at work and too antsy to wait to get home so i just asked in here haha. once i was back i busted out my scale and digital tape measure and spent almost 2 hours toying with all my trucks. total madness, but it was awesome

JB77

« Reply #1226 on: September 15, 2020, 06:47:43 AM »
Posted some 5.0 HI’s in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.  $35 shipped...

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112995.0
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:00:10 AM by JB77 »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1227 on: September 15, 2020, 08:27:01 AM »
Posted some 5.0 HI’s in the classifieds section if anyone is interested.  $35 shipped...

Wish I woulda seen this 24 hours earlier; set up a 7.75 board to mess around on and really wanted some 5.0 hi’s for it but the only small trucks the shop had were Indy 129s so I just settled for those. First set of Indys I’ve been on in a while too; they’re a lot more squirrelly feeling right off the bat but Id be lying if I said I didn’t miss that surfy turn that they have.

JB77

« Reply #1228 on: September 15, 2020, 09:49:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Wish I woulda seen this 24 hours earlier; set up a 7.75 board to mess around on and really wanted some 5.0 hi’s for it but the only small trucks the shop had were Indy 129s so I just settled for those. First set of Indys I’ve been on in a while too; they’re a lot more squirrelly feeling right off the bat but Id be lying if I said I didn’t miss that surfy turn that they have.

Dang, bad timing.  I would love to have sent them to someone from this forum.  Those Indy’s will serve you well, though.  Great trucks.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #1229 on: September 15, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Dang, bad timing.  I would love to have sent them to someone from this forum.  Those Indy’s will serve you well, though.  Great trucks.

God damn. Fuck I would have used them too!

I ordered 6.1s for my FUBK set up. Ended up getting 5.2s sent instead...

6.1 sold out everywhere else, so I went and bought 159 indys. I always like them, no problem but damn.

So then I just said fuck it, kept the 5.2s and threw them on my 7.75 haha, where usually I would use 129s/5.0