Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 354061 times)

Xen (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1260 on: September 19, 2020, 09:16:22 AM »
This has been bugging me for the whole day: is it the hanger or the baseplate that make the Venture Hi or Lo? And does anyone know the height difference a Hi versus Lo of a similar model?

Lowest to highest, measurements are from Tactics which look iffy:
- Forged Lo - 48.3mm
- Forged Hi - 53.5mm
- Cast Lo - 53.5mm
- Cast Hi - 53.5mm

I tried riding 5.6 V-Hollow (only Hi model, no Lo model) with a cast baseplate on a deck with steep kicks and the pop was unforgiving especially coming off 5.2 V-Hollow Lo with a forged baseplate. I thought about swapping the cast baseplate with the forged one to lower the height, but it would add 0.15" to the WB resulting in a heavier pop (albiet snappier).
the hanger makes it a low or hi. The forged hi’s are 52mm not 53.5. Switch to the forged on your hollows you might love it or you might not

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #1261 on: September 19, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
This has been bugging me for the whole day: is it the hanger or the baseplate that make the Venture Hi or Lo? And does anyone know the height difference a Hi versus Lo of a similar model?

- Forged Lo - 48.3mm
- Forged Hi - 53.5mm
- Cast Lo - 53.5mm
- Cast Hi - 53.5mm

I tried riding 5.6 V-Hollow (only Hi model, no Lo model) with a cast baseplate on a deck with steep kicks and the pop was unforgiving especially coming off 5.2 V-Hollow Lo with a forged baseplate. I thought about swapping the cast baseplate with the forged one to lower the height, but it would add 0.15" to the WB resulting in a heavier pop (albiet snappier).

Base plates are interchangeable, with Ventures. The height difference comes from the hanger. I’ve never measured, but generally forged is 1.5 mm lower than cast. I take the published cast measurements and subtract 1.5 mm, for forged.

Respectfully....you seem to be changing a lot of variables, pretty consistently. That can be fun. I’ve definitely gone through periods were I change it up, session to session. We are all just playing with toy(s). If your goal is to get ‘better’ at skating, this constant changing of multiple parts isn’t going to help, but it will show you what tricks are totally yours. What I mean by that is I finally realized I was doing a lesser (much less) version of ‘the Chico’: getting on whatever setup I’d slapped together and attempting my five favorite flip tricks. Probably not even five. The ones that work, turns out I can do, eventually, no matter what the board setup is.

Way too long don’t read.
For me, matching the correct truck, and then forged/cast to the correct deck/‘kick’ steepness, and wheelbase, became too tiresome, and wasn’t yielding fun. Something will work, close enough, and then I just use that. I’m not good at skating tho.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1262 on: September 19, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
Expand Quote

- Forged Lo - 48.3mm
- Forged Hi - 53.5mm
- Cast Lo - 53.5mm
- Cast Hi - 53.5mm

[close]

Base plates are interchangeable, with Ventures. The height difference comes from the hanger. I’ve never measured, but generally forged is 1.5 mm lower than cast. I take the published cast measurements and subtract 1.5 mm, for forged.

Respectfully....you seem to be changing a lot of variables, pretty consistently. That can be fun. I’ve definitely gone through periods were I change it up, session to session. We are all just playing with toy(s). If your goal is to get ‘better’ at skating, this constant changing of multiple parts isn’t going to help, but it will show you what tricks are totally yours. What I mean by that is I finally realized I was doing a lesser (much less) version of ‘the Chico’: getting on whatever setup I’d slapped together and attempting my five favorite flip tricks. Probably not even five. The ones that work, turns out I can do, eventually, no matter what the board setup is.

Way too long don’t read.
For me, matching the correct truck, and then forged/cast to the correct deck/‘kick’ steepness, and wheelbase, became too tiresome, and wasn’t yielding fun. Something will work, close enough, and then I just use that. I’m not good at skating tho.

That's a good way to think about truck setups. I rode Ventures for my last 4 setups, 5.2 Lo with V-Hollow worked best for me. So in terms of trucks I've been been on the Venture train for a good long while. Only rode thunders for the first time in months on my Santa Cruz. There was a lot to like - lighter pop feel, metal grinds softer, but the pinch did not feel the same for me, hence I was trying to find a combination with Ventures that would give me a closer experience to Thunders.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1263 on: September 19, 2020, 02:03:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
rotations are coming around a little slow on 360 flips with forged plates and 14.25 wb (17.75 wb axle to axle). would the shorter wb with cast plates help this out? have a pair i can swap with a friend but wouldnt want to try it if its all in my head
[close]

Yes. I'm running hybrid on the dlx. It's got almost a 14.5. I also have changed my tre a little again.

I hang my toes off little higher on the tail when I scoop

The front foot is little more below ctr board than usual.
[close]

Higher pop when the back foot goes up the tail

Yep. I can get it around faster too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #1264 on: September 19, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
rotations are coming around a little slow on 360 flips with forged plates and 14.25 wb (17.75 wb axle to axle). would the shorter wb with cast plates help this out? have a pair i can swap with a friend but wouldnt want to try it if its all in my head

Might help a little but its definitely more in your head and an issue with technique

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1265 on: September 19, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Forged Lo - 48.3mm
- Forged Hi - 53.5mm
- Cast Lo - 53.5mm
- Cast Hi - 53.5mm

[close]

Way too long don’t read.
[close]

That's a good way to think about truck setups. I rode Ventures for my last 4 setups, 5.2 Lo with V-Hollow worked best for me. So in terms of trucks I've been been on the Venture train for a good long while. Only rode thunders for the first time in months on my Santa Cruz. There was a lot to like - lighter pop feel, metal grinds softer, but the pinch did not feel the same for me, hence I was trying to find a combination with Ventures that would give me a closer experience to Thunders.

It sounds like forged plates and hollows, but with a shorter wb and mellow kicks might balance things out.

Keep in mind half this stuff is in your head too when you're switching things around every other session. The exact same setup has felt drastically different to me on different days simply because I was feeling or skating different

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1266 on: September 20, 2020, 12:20:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Forged Lo - 48.3mm
- Forged Hi - 53.5mm
- Cast Lo - 53.5mm
- Cast Hi - 53.5mm

[close]

Way too long don’t read.
[close]

[close]

It sounds like forged plates and hollows, but with a shorter wb and mellow kicks might balance things out.

Keep in mind half this stuff is in your head too when you're switching things around every other session. The exact same setup has felt drastically different to me on different days simply because I was feeling or skating different

Decided not to be a bitch and just ride whatever I have on at the moment. I will swap out to Ventures when the deck is coming to it's end of life, I was able to extend the life of my previous deck by 2-3 weeks with lower trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1267 on: September 21, 2020, 06:00:12 AM »
I'm riding Thunders now.. but I have a set of brand new 5.25 Lo's if anyone is having a problem finding any. Still have the stickers on and everything.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1268 on: September 21, 2020, 06:40:25 AM »
Bro what is up with the way these things turn you gotta be joking me

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #1269 on: September 21, 2020, 06:59:30 AM »

Go on.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Slayer666

« Reply #1270 on: September 21, 2020, 07:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on.
they still turn don’t get me wrong but like wtf man

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1271 on: September 21, 2020, 07:20:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Go on.
[close]
they still turn don’t get me wrong but like wtf man
Care to elaborate? I’m curious. I’m interested in trying some ventures when I reach the axle on my indys/if I can find 5.8s, so I’d like to hear your take.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1272 on: September 21, 2020, 07:25:47 AM »
A lot of lean before the turn unlike Independent or Thunder which have a surf-y turn. The stock bushing also take a while to wear in but after that they turn well, but never as good as Independent.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1273 on: September 21, 2020, 07:30:13 AM »
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard, as well, but I was wondering if this dude had any fresh takes. I think I might like having to lean harder to turn.

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #1274 on: September 21, 2020, 01:37:24 PM »
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard, as well, but I was wondering if this dude had any fresh takes. I think I might like having to lean harder to turn.

It is all a matter of tastes I suppose. I really like the delayed turn of ventures vs. the early engagement/surfy feel of indys.  I notice the stability and snap of ventures in the streets and haven't noticed a huge downside carving transition.   

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 204
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #1275 on: September 21, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
do you think venture 5.8 raw hi's would be good for transition skating? i never tried ventures in my life. only ace and indy. kind of want to try ventures but idk how good the turn and wheel bite would be.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #1276 on: September 21, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
put some bones bushings in my 5.2 hollow light lows and got this crazy weird noise when slightly turning on them . ended up switching back to the stock bushings but using the washer that came with the bones .

anyone else have that problem ever?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1277 on: September 21, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »
was it more of a eeearrrkk or a sqquaank
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1278 on: September 21, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
put some bones bushings in my 5.2 hollow light lows and got this crazy weird noise when slightly turning on them . ended up switching back to the stock bushings but using the washer that came with the bones .

I didn't notice the noise as much but it was definite more of an eeeearrrrrrrkkkkk than a sqqqqqqquakkkkkkk. Turning was great but a little too loosy-goosy for me, stuck with stock bushing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1279 on: September 21, 2020, 08:00:32 PM »

tried to lubricate them? with wax or oil. could work to get rid of groovy noise.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1280 on: September 21, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
The flat washer makes a pretty significant change to the turn
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Slayer666

« Reply #1281 on: September 22, 2020, 03:50:10 AM »
Just feels silly compared to an Indy or thunder. Kind of turn that made me lol It’s whatever you prefer I could probably get used to A lot of lean and good turn compared to something like Krux which I remember had a ton of lean and no turn

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1282 on: September 22, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
switched out my forged baseplates on my 5.2 hollow lows for cast and like the little bit of added weight. will do the 3 flip test later today but wouldnt be surprised if shrinking the wb by .25 of an inch is just a placebo thing.

.25 in = 6.35mm....take out your rulers and axle to axle wb seems like a cruel joke. what is 6mm gonna do to pop feel? stability? flip tricks? my mind is telling me "absolutely nothing." there certainly a difference in a .5 reduction, but a .25 reduction seems like it would be indiscernible at the same weight....

i think im going to do my brain a favor and never switch baseplates again. or at least ditch the idea that a2a wb matters too much.

we might have taken the madness too far with that one
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1283 on: September 22, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
Just feels silly compared to an Indy or thunder. Kind of turn that made me lol It’s whatever you prefer I could probably get used to A lot of lean and good turn compared to something like Krux which I remember had a ton of lean and no turn

Pretty much!

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1284 on: September 22, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »
switched out my forged baseplates on my 5.2 hollow lows for cast and like the little bit of added weight. will do the 3 flip test later today but wouldnt be surprised if shrinking the wb by .25 of an inch is just a placebo thing.

.25 in = 6.35mm....take out your rulers and axle to axle wb seems like a cruel joke. what is 6mm gonna do to pop feel? stability? flip tricks? my mind is telling me "absolutely nothing." there certainly a difference in a .5 reduction, but a .25 reduction seems like it would be indiscernible at the same weight....

i think im going to do my brain a favor and never switch baseplates again. or at least ditch the idea that a2a wb matters too much.

lol that happened a long time ago

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #1285 on: September 22, 2020, 10:02:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty much!

That's a good description....I remember the first tensor, Rodney engineered to lean but not to turn....so you could shift your weight, or get your balance but not swerve...

Ace gives you a bit of lean, and a lot of turn...
Thunder gives you a bit of turn....then it's just lean....
Indy it's both at the same time....consistent....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1286 on: September 23, 2020, 12:10:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure, we'll keep your seat warm when you're back here again with your next bout of truck madness.....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1287 on: September 23, 2020, 03:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sure, we'll keep your seat warm when you're back here again with your next bout of truck madness.....

Hahaha, if things go well that won't be for a long time. Though realistically I'll be stoked if I don't stress about trucks for the rest of the year.

Venture 5.8 v-lights, pretty much stock has been treating me well enough, both on axle, running them til they snap on me.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1288 on: September 23, 2020, 06:18:31 AM »
Shelving my Thunder 148 Titanium and getting back on the Venture bandwagon. It was a fun ride but the pinch and baseplate can't be beat. Anyone do 8.25 with 5.2 Lo?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #1289 on: September 23, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »
Shelving my Thunder 148 Titanium and getting back on the Venture bandwagon. It was a fun ride but the pinch and baseplate can't be beat. Anyone do 8.25 with 5.2 Lo?

Yeah I’ve done 8.25 with 5.2 lo, and I liked it. I’m team magic carpet tho. I currently don’t like riding bigger boards, and 8.25 is big for me, but I’d do it again.