Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 356224 times)

IpathCats

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1590 on: February 21, 2021, 05:07:24 PM »
why dont my oranges taste like lemons? this needs to be fixed
I'm shocked how anyone tries to compare a venture to an ace......such different trucks....

Can't I have my cake and eat it too? Lol

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1591 on: February 21, 2021, 09:44:13 PM »
Expand Quote
why dont my oranges taste like lemons? this needs to be fixed
[close]
Expand Quote
I'm shocked how anyone tries to compare a venture to an ace......such different trucks....
[close]

Can't I have my cake and eat it too? Lol

I think thunder is USA manufactured, well mostly, same as venture. Cast thunders are pretty close to Indy in some regards. Could be another option for ye olde madness. Or just ride indys. Or just ride old indys (USA).
The people that I knew that really wanted ventures to turn quickly, seemed to mostly run bones mediums (I prefer the herds, just run looser). Stock bushings will work, just take awhile.

drinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
« Reply #1592 on: February 22, 2021, 04:51:21 AM »
Krux inverted kingpin in 5.8 standard update for anyone interested:

Ive been skating these for about 6 weeks and the jury is still out on whether or not I like them. There is definitely NO kingpin hang up on smiths, but its definitely made bs smiths harder although FS smiths are super easy now. Few things Ive noticed, not sure if its due to the kingpin or my form but: I seem to slip into lip slide alot easier than I remember before (FS & BS) for BS I end up dipping the board all the way to the ground a lot as in my front truck basically nose manuals. Im blaming this on not doing the trick much recently, but I definitely noticed it being harder, even harder than the kingpin hangups I experienced on a standard kingpin.

Interested! Though it looks like those DLK hollow pins basically don’t exist outside US deadstock anymore so unlikely ever gonna get to do this mod.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1593 on: March 04, 2021, 11:29:57 PM »
venture 6.1 vhollows

back on light trucks coming back from a knee injury and its working wonders. bigger/wider wheels put enough "weight" on the end of the axles to keep things feeling balanced. flick is more about speed and precision, two things i assumed were lost after a month off board. learned 5 new tricks in the last 2 days

my knees have also been aching less vs. the raws and that brings me the peace of mind to skate harder. have enough ventures to never run a full cast set again
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fhk

« Reply #1594 on: March 18, 2021, 04:52:37 AM »
I recently got some 5.0 los from a Pal on here (which I am super grateful for btw) and I was wondering was there models with different geometry? I have the nut backed way off and they don't turn..And not like a "Ventures don't turn" they literally don't turn, and I'm 210 lbs. The kingpin seems to have a lot less clearance than I remember to. Anyhow any insight is appreciated!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1595 on: March 18, 2021, 05:38:23 AM »
I recently got some 5.0 los from a Pal on here (which I am super grateful for btw) and I was wondering was there models with different geometry? I have the nut backed way off and they don't turn..And not like a "Ventures don't turn" they literally don't turn, and I'm 210 lbs. The kingpin seems to have a lot less clearance than I remember to. Anyhow any insight is appreciated!

What bushings do you got?

When was your last 5.0 low?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fhk

« Reply #1596 on: March 18, 2021, 05:49:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't tell you the color of the ones that they arrived with because I'm colorblind, but I put some stock Indy ones in and they felt the same. Last year I bought a pair of 5.0 los from Orchard but I gave that setup to a little fella in my hood. I do remember running them with nut flush and that was fine for medium tightness at my weight. These seem different to me.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1597 on: March 18, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »

Depends on the age. I want to say like 2011-ish Venture went to DLX when Streetcorner Distribution folded, and the geometry got a redesign. A lot of the negative reputation that Venture has comes from the older geo.

If they have the "V" logo printed on the front: DLX=V goes with the V-shape on the front of the hanger. Streetcorner=V goes against the V-shape on the hanger.

If they don't have the V, look under the hanger where it meets the pivot. The size (5.0L) will be cast in, which I believe they only started doing when they went to DLX.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1598 on: March 18, 2021, 06:53:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I can't tell you the color of the ones that they arrived with because I'm colorblind, but I put some stock Indy ones in and they felt the same. Last year I bought a pair of 5.0 los from Orchard but I gave that setup to a little fella in my hood. I do remember running them with nut flush and that was fine for medium tightness at my weight. These seem different to me.

5.0 los I often use bones bushings. For you, and almost everyone, I’d get the hards, and run em loose. The truck will turn. No top washer and the truck will turn till wheelbite.

Fhk

« Reply #1599 on: March 18, 2021, 06:57:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on the age. I want to say like 2011-ish Venture went to DLX when Streetcorner Distribution folded, and the geometry got a redesign. A lot of the negative reputation that Venture has comes from the older geo.

If they have the "V" logo printed on the front: DLX=V goes with the V-shape on the front of the hanger. Streetcorner=V goes against the V-shape on the hanger.

If they don't have the V, look under the hanger where it meets the pivot. The size (5.0L) will be cast in, which I believe they only started doing when they went to DLX.
Ah gotcha, great description man! These have the V going against the V shape of the hanger. So if the board is sitting wheels down the V reads correctly. Is there anything I can do to make these skate better?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1600 on: March 18, 2021, 07:04:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ah gotcha, great description man! These have the V going against the V shape of the hanger. So if the board is sitting wheels down the V reads correctly. Is there anything I can do to make these skate better?

Yeah, Streetcorner then. No idea how to make them turn better! They were all I skate for over a decade and I always left everything stock.

I would do what OK said and put some bones (or any conical bushings that fit) with a flat top washer. That should make them a little more responsive and open up the turn a bit.

Edit: I always skated them with a 1/8" riser. Total blasphemy, but I'm sure that is part of why I always enjoyed them and never felt the need to go to a higher truck in the day.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #1601 on: March 18, 2021, 07:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always suggest wax shavings in the pivot cups to free up the turn a bit. Once you have a set of bushings you intend to stick with (whether bones or stock) just try to be patient and break them in. Just don’t expect Venture lows to ever turn like a higher or carvey type of truck because that’s really not what they were designed to do

Fhk

« Reply #1602 on: March 18, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »
Ok thanks guys! I actually hate carvy trucks but these are beyond ridiculous tight. I was going to ask if bones will fit in them, but you guys already answered that..I have a few pairs of broken in mediums and will try those today after work. Thanks again homies I knew I could count on you.  :)

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1603 on: April 02, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
Am I dumb and 5.8 v-hollows don't exist? Or are they really sold out literally everywhere? Anyone got a line on some? Been enjoying my 5.6 v-hollows, but I'd like to try a bit more width with the same venture stability.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1604 on: April 02, 2021, 04:53:58 PM »
Am I dumb and 5.8 v-hollows don't exist? Or are they really sold out literally everywhere? Anyone got a line on some? Been enjoying my 5.6 v-hollows, but I'd like to try a bit more width with the same venture stability.

Looks like 5.8s are only available in V-Lights or Titanium, haven't seen many titanium models throughout 2020.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1605 on: April 02, 2021, 08:52:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like 5.8s are only available in V-Lights or Titanium, haven't seen many titanium models throughout 2020.

The new venture caroling advertises v-hollow 5.8s ?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1606 on: April 02, 2021, 11:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

New Venture catalog has them all, but production and availability might be a different story...

https://venturetrucks.net/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #1607 on: April 03, 2021, 01:12:58 AM »
Ok thanks guys! I actually hate carvy trucks but these are beyond ridiculous tight. I was going to ask if bones will fit in them, but you guys already answered that..I have a few pairs of broken in mediums and will try those today after work. Thanks again homies I knew I could count on you.  :)

Venture+medium bones is the dream. Everything feels easy

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #1608 on: April 03, 2021, 05:20:52 AM »
Any bushings you have just take off the top washer. I ran dlx supercush hard (purple) and with the top washer no turn at all. And without the washer they turned.

Fhk

« Reply #1609 on: April 03, 2021, 05:31:26 AM »
^ thanks man, I ended up just using bones med. with no washers. It's not perfect so maybe I will try your idea next. Much appreciated

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1610 on: April 03, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

New Venture catalog has them all, but production and availability might be a different story...

https://venturetrucks.net/

Yeah I have been unable to find 5.8 v-hollows anywhere. If anyone has a lead on some that would be much appreciated.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #1611 on: April 15, 2021, 07:46:59 AM »
So no more 5.2lo in lights or hollows .

Has anyone made the switch recently from low to highs? I’ve been on 5.2lows the last year but grabbed some 5.2H hollow to try and combat wheelbite riding 52mm SF F4 OG classics

Feeling scared to change it up though

hiljentaa

• Rep: 306
« Reply #1612 on: April 19, 2021, 02:31:10 PM »
First time on Ventures. 5.6 V-Hollows on an April 8.25 w/ 14" wb...

Swapped the bottom washer for a Indy aftermarket (lighter), and top for a Bones flat. Nylock flush with the top of the kingpin.

Absolutely love this setup so far. Coming off Indy Ti 144s, I don't feel lacking for turn at all. In fact, I love that I can push it all the way til the wheels hit the deck, and it is easy to control right at that limit.

Seriously loving the pop though. My board feels like it zings into my feet on flip tricks for the catch.

Excited to get more time on this setup!

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1613 on: April 19, 2021, 02:58:20 PM »

Swapped the bottom washer for a Indy aftermarket (lighter), and top for a Bones flat. Nylock flush with the top of the kingpin.

Absolutely love this setup so far. Coming off Indy Ti 144s, I don't feel lacking for turn at all. In fact, I love that I can push it all the way til the wheels hit the deck, and it is easy to control right at that limit.

Seriously loving the pop though. My board feels like it zings into my feet on flip tricks for the catch.

I have 5.6 v hollow on a FA 8.18 14 WB and also Indy titanium 144 on an 8.25 local brand with 14.25 WB, bones hard bushings in both since I’m heavy and I like the venture setup way more. Pop is absurd on the short wheelbase FA and turn is more than sufficient.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1614 on: April 19, 2021, 07:23:47 PM »
I go back and forth between Thunder 147s and Venture 5.2 Hi V-Lights. I run the ventures stock with a flat top washer. I can get them to turn just fine. Never felt like I was lacking in turn when I first tried ventures in general but the flat washer definitely makes a difference for those who haven't tried that

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1615 on: April 19, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »
Looking for a bushing recommendation for my 5.6, I'm riding them with Bones Medium which give a nice turn and pinch. But the nut refuses to stay secure and I have to tighten the nut 2-3 times a session, often getting rattle loose and I can tighten it with my fingers. I try to ride my trucks fairly loose like a 4 (on a scale of 1-10, 1 is Daewon, 10 is Chris Cole). Any recommendations on a conical bushing that does the trick?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1616 on: April 20, 2021, 06:32:03 AM »
Looking for a bushing recommendation for my 5.6, I'm riding them with Bones Medium which give a nice turn and pinch. But the nut refuses to stay secure and I have to tighten the nut 2-3 times a session, often getting rattle loose and I can tighten it with my fingers. I try to ride my trucks fairly loose like a 4 (on a scale of 1-10, 1 is Daewon, 10 is Chris Cole). Any recommendations on a conical bushing that does the trick?

First you can flip the nylon side down.

Indy replacement parts seem to be the move. I am riding the super softs. I was going to swap back to purps but this bushings like a 2. And I'm feeling it rn.
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1617 on: April 20, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indy replacement parts seem to be the move. I am riding the super softs. I was going to swap back to purps but this bushings like a 2. And I'm feeling it rn.
seconded on the indy super softs but i prefer the barrels.

im running purp tops with broken in 78a bottoms (all flat washers) and at 200ish lbs, feels like a 2.5 on that scale. might be closer to a 4 if you weigh considerably less

never really understood the deal with conical bushings in ventures. how much stability is lost with switching? might be willing to give it a chance when these 56s wear down
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1618 on: April 20, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
seconded on the indy super softs but i prefer the barrels.

im running purp tops with broken in 78a bottoms (all flat washers) and at 200ish lbs, feels like a 2.5 on that scale. might be closer to a 4 if you weigh considerably less

never really understood the deal with conical bushings in ventures. how much stability is lost with switching? might be willing to give it a chance when these 56s wear down

I'm on the white barrels. The orange Indy r.p. conical bushings I save for my 139s.

The venture i think is best with a barrel
(A)pl(E)

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #1619 on: April 23, 2021, 05:31:40 AM »
Does anyone know the weight on 5.2 V Lights Hi?

Did you ride the Indys on the April deck, if so what did you prefer between the Indys and Venture
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect