Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 172022 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2970 on: May 12, 2022, 06:03:18 PM »
I think it depends on where you grow up and what's around. When I was a kid our local shops consisted of a Zumiez, a ski/snowboard shop that had some skate stuff, and then a shop 30min away that didn't sell Indy. So, you basically got Venture or Thunders and Ventures were most common on pre-assembled completes.

I've said it before but trucks are a zero sum game at best. They all have their finer and weaker points. Slap acts like pros can ride whatever just cuz they're that good, but I think part of it is they don't care and don't have a choice so unless shit is unrideable they microadjust and move on with life. I doubt that many dudes are worried about WB pairings especially since lots of dudes that have joined Venture recently seem to ride the same setups otherwise.

I thought Mike Anderson was on boards with a 14.38 wb on Indy, but his special new shape now has 14.25 wb to accommodate the truck change.  Someone questioned him about it on instagram or something I recall, which I found really interesting.

There was someone else too who changed their board shape and had wb a touch shorter when they went to Venture trucks too, but I can't recall who right now.

It is an interesting one, on some boards I have set up and tried, or that others have tried at the indoor park, which is pretty much where I mess with product and make all kinds of weird and wonderful combinations, some of which work well and others that just don't with certain combinations.

The other thing to note is some people are a lot more open to some brands and others don't even want to try something if it has X brand on it, when they ride Y or Z brand.  Funny really.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2971 on: May 12, 2022, 06:13:03 PM »

That said...does anyone on Real or AntiHero skate venture? (Iím blanking of the top of my head).

Interesting but no I don't think so.  Is it something like this:

Real have a spread of Thunder and Indy.
AH have  Thunder, Indy and Ace.
Krooked have Thunder, Indy, Ace and Venture.

The new green bushings made them too loose for me. I tightened them to about 3 almost 4 threads showing on the kingpin. The short height still allows them to turn really well even cranked down. Before Iíd carve and sometimes have to lift my truck and turn into to the right direction. With these I can get that tilt that gets lost with Venture usually.

Maybe the green bushings could let you chop down the kingpin so you get even more clearance, and still have a turny truck (by venture standards)

That is instantly what I thought, but I am used to recycling a lot of well used hangers, and use cut down or low top bushings on most of those trucks.

Even if the kingpin is naturally shorter from a lot of skateboarding, lower top bushings help with keeping the truck still functional without the kingpin nut coming off or catching.

LebowskisRug

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
« Reply #2972 on: May 12, 2022, 08:49:19 PM »
Expand Quote
I think it depends on where you grow up and what's around. When I was a kid our local shops consisted of a Zumiez, a ski/snowboard shop that had some skate stuff, and then a shop 30min away that didn't sell Indy. So, you basically got Venture or Thunders and Ventures were most common on pre-assembled completes.

I've said it before but trucks are a zero sum game at best. They all have their finer and weaker points. Slap acts like pros can ride whatever just cuz they're that good, but I think part of it is they don't care and don't have a choice so unless shit is unrideable they microadjust and move on with life. I doubt that many dudes are worried about WB pairings especially since lots of dudes that have joined Venture recently seem to ride the same setups otherwise.
[close]

I thought Mike Anderson was on boards with a 14.38 wb on Indy, but his special new shape now has 14.25 wb to accommodate the truck change.  Someone questioned him about it on instagram or something I recall, which I found really interesting.

There was someone else too who changed their board shape and had wb a touch shorter when they went to Venture trucks too, but I can't recall who right now.

It is an interesting one, on some boards I have set up and tried, or that others have tried at the indoor park, which is pretty much where I mess with product and make all kinds of weird and wonderful combinations, some of which work well and others that just don't with certain combinations.

The other thing to note is some people are a lot more open to some brands and others don't even want to try something if it has X brand on it, when they ride Y or Z brand.  Funny really.

As far back as I can remember his shape has always been 14.25. I'm sure Bobby's twin tail hasn't changed either.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2973 on: May 12, 2022, 09:29:06 PM »

As far back as I can remember his shape has always been 14.25. I'm sure Bobby's twin tail hasn't changed either.

You are right and I was tripping, cause when I went looking I couldn't find anything, eg from Mike Anderson's Instagram, he is on Venture from early 2020 but his shape was the 8.38 x 32 with 14.25 in the Krooked 2019 catalogs.  That set of catalogs was pretty cool to see too, but that is just me.

https://krookedskateboarding.com/spring-2019/

https://krookedskateboarding.com/summer-2019/

https://krookedskateboarding.com/fall-2019/

Knee Pain

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2974 on: May 13, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
I thought Ventures were the beginner truck of choiceÖ
Every kid Iíve seen learning to skate usually has Venture.

In my experience from a UK perspective, Venture were always a beginner truck as they were cheaper than any other truck (pre DLX)

Can't see myself ever skating another truck, Ventures with supercush 90a and a flat washer is more than enough turn for me with the added stability when setting up for tricks.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #2975 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »
This ad was probably why I put ventures on my first set-up.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 86
  • fellow texan living in the bay area
« Reply #2976 on: May 14, 2022, 10:08:38 AM »

fire

Ok

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2977 on: May 14, 2022, 11:53:24 AM »

Thank you for this

joaqp

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2978 on: May 16, 2022, 11:53:18 AM »
Anyone know if the older ventures with the gold hardware are the same quality as the newer ventures we have now?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2979 on: May 16, 2022, 11:55:40 AM »
I like the older ventures at least as much as the current. Also, I like ventures.

iw0

• Rep: 87
« Reply #2980 on: May 16, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »
Anyone know if the older ventures with the gold hardware are the same quality as the newer ventures we have now?

i'm faiiiiirly sure that pic you posted specifically is a dlx venture, so yeah it'd be the same as current

texasplant

• Rep: 49
« Reply #2981 on: May 16, 2022, 05:40:08 PM »
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I donít want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. Iíve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.

iw0

« Reply #2982 on: May 16, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
Has anyone done 6.1s on an 8.25? Sounds ridiculous but I donít want to buy new trucks but I want to size down. Iíve done 159 on 8.38 before and it was fine but this might be pushing it.

i have 5.6s on an 8.25 and 6.1s would definitely enter into hot rod territory. with the right wheels it might not bother you but ehhhh

Wizard0f0dds

« Reply #2983 on: May 16, 2022, 06:36:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i have 5.6s on an 8.25 and 6.1s would definitely enter into hot rod territory. with the right wheels it might not bother you but ehhhh

I mean, I probably wouldn't go higher than 5.8s on a 8.25 personally, but I've seen Ace classics 55s on a 8.5 and it looked really fun, so it would be a similar kind of hot rod.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2984 on: May 16, 2022, 07:46:18 PM »

I rode indy 159s on an 8.25 (chico chocolate deck, so this was awhile back, shit maybe 7ish years ago), anyfuckinways, I liked it. Had some great flatground sessions on it. I think I stopped because I was self conscious of how it looked.
If I was giving advice to someone, Iíd say +/- .25Ē deck to axle ratio.
You already have the trucks, try it, and if it doesnít work, THEN you get a smaller size. Or not. Do whatever is fun.
Iíve heard of people that skate vert doing this type of setup.
I was skating an 8.6Ē deck, with ace classic 55s (9Ē axle) and 56 conical fulls. Mid session I moved the inner washer to the outside of the wheel, bringing the wheels in, narrower. I was amazed at how different the wheelbite marks were, the new ones being down and in, significantly so, which to me indicated that the wheels being set narrower, were able to turn more, before wheelbite. Blah di blah blah
For some reason Iím remembering some comment you made that transition was maybe your preferred terrain (I could be way the fuck off here), but if so, Iíd be interested to hear how the setup worked out for you. Iíve felt that the significantly wider trucks than deck thing worked best for ledges/manuals/and wasnít much a hinderance for most flip tricks, but not for carving and shit like that. Hewitt rides 159s on 8.38 and he is the shit soÖwhat do I know.

texasplant

« Reply #2985 on: May 16, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I rode indy 159s on an 8.25 (chico chocolate deck, so this was awhile back, shit maybe 7ish years ago), anyfuckinways, I liked it. Had some great flatground sessions on it. I think I stopped because I was self conscious of how it looked.
You already have the trucks, try it, and if it doesnít work, THEN you get a smaller size. Or not. Do whatever is fun.
I was skating an 8.6Ē deck, with ace classic 55s (9Ē axle) and 56 conical fulls. Mid session I moved the inner washer to the outside of the wheel, bringing the wheels in, narrower. I was amazed at how different the wheelbite marks were, the new ones being down and in, significantly so, which to me indicated that the wheels being set narrower, were able to turn more, before wheelbite. Blah di blah blah
For some reason Iím remembering some comment you made that transition was maybe your preferred terrain (I could be way the fuck off here), but if so, Iíd be interested to hear how the setup worked out for you. Iíve felt that the significantly wider trucks than deck thing worked best for ledges/manuals/and wasnít much a hinderance for most flip tricks, but not for carving and shit like that. Hewitt rides 159s on 8.38 and he is the shit soÖwhat do I know.

Yep transition is definitely what I skate most. Though Iím trying to be more well rounded as Iíve lost most of my pop haha. Iíve never put any kind of time into skating ledges and I want to try something new. Iím used to wider trucks but wants to size down the board, which is why I asked. I only ever do kickflips if Iím flipping but setups donít really affect that for me. Figured Iíd ask before wasting my time setting something up Iíd hate, but I guess if itís sucks itíll do in the timebeing until I get some 5.8s.

I guess my concern was the turn, because Iíll have way less leverage and ventures arenít known to turn the best of the brands. Love how they feel though.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 46
« Reply #2986 on: May 16, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean, I probably wouldn't go higher than 5.8s on a 8.25 personally, but I've seen Ace classics 55s on a 8.5 and it looked really fun, so it would be a similar kind of hot rod.

Iím running 9Ē 55 classics on an 8.5 with NFG 60mm V and no inside washers. I have 6.1s and can see them working similarly on an 8.25 although Iíd probably want to leave a washer on the inside and maybe go for a skinnier wheel. You can see where the front wheels contact the board if you zoom in. Iím still tweaking the wells.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2987 on: May 16, 2022, 08:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep transition is definitely what I skate most. Though Iím trying to be more well rounded as Iíve lost most of my pop haha. Iíve never put any kind of time into skating ledges and I want to try something new. Iím used to wider trucks but wants to size down the board, which is why I asked. I only ever do kickflips if Iím flipping but setups donít really affect that for me. Figured Iíd ask before wasting my time setting something up Iíd hate, but I guess if itís sucks itíll do in the timebeing until I get some 5.8s.

I guess my concern was the turn, because Iíll have way less leverage and ventures arenít known to turn the best of the brands. Love how they feel though.

Wider trucks can help me get a better pop, I think because of the added stability.

And to ol nick: I also like the 55 classics on an 8.5. Works way better than I would have thought. Hi o o ur setup looks nice

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2988 on: May 16, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm faiiiiirly sure that pic you posted specifically is a dlx venture, so yeah it'd be the same as current

The set I got a while back which was barely used / second hand from someone still had what looked like the DLX sticker under the truck and it had all the gold nuts and washers, with the red V on the hanger.

I would be going with yes on that one, as they still skate the same and no issues there.

Guessing they started leaving off the gold bits and having everything just normal silver for at least a couple of years, going back over DLX catalogs.

Still one set with all gold trimmings from the 2020 spring catalog.

https://venturetrucks.net/spring-2020/

Edit:  I wanted to go looking further and turned up DLX took on Venture around 2011, so they have been doing them for a long time now.  There were still some of the gold extras on various trucks back through the older catalogs from 2015 to 2020 but there are not too many of those catalogs available beyond that, from what I could see.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:09:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »

texasplant

« Reply #2989 on: May 16, 2022, 09:58:32 PM »
Honestly I enjoy just skating fast and doing the basics. The added stability sounds nice. Iím gonna go for it and grab the smaller board and let you guys know how I like it.

I only own Conical wheels but I might look into some Classics if I end up enjoying it but donít like the hot rod.

Fooj

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2990 on: May 17, 2022, 07:02:30 AM »
This could probably go in the Questions that dont deserve their own thread section, but has anyone ever gotten 1 black and 1 silver kingpin on the same set of trucks? I just noticed it on my 5.6 Cast.  Doesnt really matter, but it made me pause for a sec

iw0

« Reply #2991 on: May 17, 2022, 07:38:09 AM »
This could probably go in the Questions that dont deserve their own thread section, but has anyone ever gotten 1 black and 1 silver kingpin on the same set of trucks? I just noticed it on my 5.6 Cast.  Doesnt really matter, but it made me pause for a sec

i'd chalk it up to supply chain issues & how you'll never truly get a 'set'. but i'm curious, does it have little dots instead of the size listed on the underside of the hanger?

timv

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2992 on: May 17, 2022, 07:41:26 AM »
They had supply issues and switched to a different kingpin.  It is slightly smaller also so it pressed into the baseplate a bit further than the other....

vicious cycle

• Rep: 63
« Reply #2993 on: May 17, 2022, 01:29:51 PM »
They had supply issues and switched to a different kingpin.  It is slightly smaller also so it pressed into the baseplate a bit further than the other....

I wonder.. could this also explain my issue with the 5.6 v-lights I bought early 2021.
One truck gets freaking tight asf, the other one is fairly loose. On both the nuts are flush with the kingpin.
I can tighten the looser one pretty easy. For the other one, flush is max tightness and it's very hard to get the nut that far. It's like my bushings are hard as rocks but when I swap them from one truck to another, the problem stays the same.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

off

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • no gods no masters
« Reply #2994 on: Today at 07:25:21 AM »
package from nfg came in today
immediately wanted to see the low bushing/low kp nut combo

nfg low bushings 95a
flat top washer
acer lo pro kingpin nut (flush)

definitely not for my main setup, saving it for something fun
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2995 on: Today at 07:49:19 AM »
Swapped from cast to forged plates on my 5.6 TI to mellow out a Blind deck that was feeling too steep. Couldn't tell if my pivot cups weren't sitting right but my trucks felt more rattle-y, even with the hardware firmly tightened. Recently changed out the pivot cups so I doubt it was them.

Lower baseplate causing more feedback off the wheels maybe?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2996 on: Today at 07:59:51 AM »
Swapped from cast to forged plates on my 5.6 TI to mellow out a Blind deck that was feeling too steep. Couldn't tell if my pivot cups weren't sitting right but my trucks felt more rattle-y, even with the hardware firmly tightened. Recently changed out the pivot cups so I doubt it was them.

This is the feeling, and why I donít prefer forged plates

LebowskisRug

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2997 on: Today at 09:48:43 AM »
Forged plates feel harder. Nothing is worse than forged plates with a hollow axle. Just sounds off.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2998 on: Today at 09:55:45 AM »
Forged plates feel harder. Nothing is worse than forged plates with a hollow axle. Just sounds off.

I'm on TI, so solid axles.

I'll keep the cast baseplates in my bag till the next session in case I want to swap out.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2999 on: Today at 10:31:40 AM »

I agree. My Shoes and Gear Special hybrid feels a little wiggly. Had me checking to see if my nuts was loose.

I believe that the forged plates are slightly different than the cast.

My cast plates with hollow hanger are no problem the opposite is hella wiggly. I enjoy it tho. I oval all my trucks because I dig the loose nut feeling
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)