Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 353841 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3000 on: May 20, 2022, 12:43:41 PM »
So is part of the appeal for Slap that you can ride them all jiggly and your board can look "cool", but in reality the trucks aren't that loose? Kinda like fake jugs?

Do you find yourself going to say…a sandwich shoppe, that you actively do not like, often?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3001 on: May 20, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote
@LebowskisRug @IpathCats yall gotta be trolling or just dumb
loose trucks are about turning quickly, not the turning radius...
theres no "fake loose" with that little resistance on the bushings
just say you ride tight and dont like/skate ventures.
its completely fine, nobody is forcing or paying you to ride em

ace and indy will always have the tighter turning radius
nobody in their right mind buys ventures for a tight turning radius
making a big deal about loose trucks is an ace and indy thing
pointing it out as "cool" will always be lame no matter the truck
its just supposed to be fun. makes sense that you dont get it
[close]

do you really not see the trend of people having way too loose trucks? stop taking things so personally please.
im personally not telling people how to enjoy their toys
skateboarding is really not that serious
3 for every 100 skaters i see in person are riding "way too loose"
and they look like they are having fun
i get being anti trends but thats barely a trend in this day and age
sounds haterish but maybe thats just me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3002 on: May 20, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote
So is part of the appeal for Slap that you can ride them all jiggly and your board can look "cool", but in reality the trucks aren't that loose? Kinda like fake jugs?
[close]

Do you find yourself going to say…a sandwich shoppe, that you actively do not like, often?
sometimes twice a day by the looks of it
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3003 on: May 20, 2022, 01:03:56 PM »

I am dumb because I think it's silly that you are trying to, as you said, alter the turning radius of a truck?

The radius is fixed due to the geometry of the truck unless you cut the bottom bushing. Perhaps you are confusing terms.  All a flat washer does is let you get past where the hanger binds with the washer, but that is not altering geometry just the product design. Even with stock bushings Ventures have a lot of wiggle at the top of the turn hence the stability factor, but require more leaning to get deeper into the turn. All you are doing is just reducing the lean needed and lessening the rebound with a softer duro or increasing it with a harder duro. So maybe I am not the dumb one for understanding the basics of how a skateboard truck functions? Or do you really desire a truck with a restrictive turning radius and then run it loose to make that radius floppy and less responsive?

I've ridden wobbly loose trucks and tighter trucks. They both have their issues. At one point I removed the washers from my Ventures and ran them with the nut barely secured. They flopped all around when on the board yet still had a pretty tame turn. They didn't carve any better just felt lifeless. I've yet to see any current amateur skater limited by the turning of their trucks and countless people who clearly are making their skating worse from it. My preferences really don't inform any opinion in this thread.

I also wasn't trolling with my initial question. I do think it's pretty fucking amusing that people would go out of their way to make a Venture wobble to just attempt to get a similar turn to other trucks. To me this suggests wanting to look like your shit is wobbly but anyone that has ridden a Venture knows it's mostly a farce. I am sure people will come up with a half baked copout about fitting various board geometries and shit, but it seems most pros that swapped didn't magically change their setup because of it.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3004 on: May 20, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »
@off

Have you learned to ollie onto a ledge yet? Do you realllllly think your wobbly trucks are helping your skating if you legitimately cannot skate a standard height ledge? https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109028.0

In all serious though, if you can't handle the twitch you won't be able to sit on grinds. Dudes like Foy who ride looser stuff might not have been doing it forever and have really good balance and form. If you go find a curb and ollie onto it and do a bunch of 50-50s a looser truck will turn right off the ledge and you won't sit on it. A tight truck will just pitch you when you're off balance. Since I basically only skate curbs and ledges with each brand of trucks I tend to find the point between the two and go from there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:17:55 PM by LebowskisRug »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #3005 on: May 20, 2022, 01:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

do you really not see the trend of people having way too loose trucks? stop taking things so personally please.
[close]
im personally not telling people how to enjoy their toys
skateboarding is really not that serious
3 for every 100 skaters i see in person are riding "way too loose"
and they look like they are having fun
i get being anti trends but thats barely a trend in this day and age
sounds haterish but maybe thats just me

One of the main reasons we're all on slap, (especially the gear thread) is to discuss, and sometimes suggest, how people enjoy their toys

Also skaters riding their shit way too loose is definitely still a thing. Not as bad as a few years ago, but I still see a laughable amount of skaters that ride their shit twitchy when they probably shouldn't, and suffer as a result of it because they can't land shit and get pitched all the time.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3006 on: May 20, 2022, 01:21:49 PM »
@off

Have you learned to ollie onto a ledge yet? Do you realllllly think your wobbly trucks are helping your skating if you legitimately cannot skate a standard height ledge? https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109028.0
yes two years ago lol get a life
but glad to know youre a fan of my posts
and no i do not ride my main board like that as stated above
reading comprehension really isnt your strong suit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3007 on: May 20, 2022, 02:33:41 PM »
Show me where you said it was your backup board? T is true that reading Slap at a glance on my phone isn't where I tend to sit and absorb details, I'm straight up illiterate basically.

How's your ledge game after 2 years of swapping wheelbases and trucks? Did wobbles unlock the first trick kids learn at a skatepark on their handmedowns they left in the rain?

2 years ago I couldn't have imagined myself in such a position that I couldn't get into something and was also worried it could be my setup.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3008 on: May 20, 2022, 03:35:59 PM »
Show me where you said it was your backup board? T is true that reading Slap at a glance on my phone isn't where I tend to sit and absorb details, I'm straight up illiterate basically.

How's your ledge game after 2 years of swapping wheelbases and trucks? Did wobbles unlock the first trick kids learn at a skatepark on their handmedowns they left in the rain?

2 years ago I couldn't have imagined myself in such a position that I couldn't get into something and was also worried it could be my setup.
definitely not for my main setup, saving it for something fun
show me where i said wobbly trucks help for ledges
you got nothing to do but bring up posts from two years ago
but you should probably use that time to read a book

i hope you do understand that things change in a 2yr span
circumstances, opinions, setups, skill level, and more!
who knows? you might be a decent poster in 2024
a reach, yes. but not implausible

finding whats comfortable actually made me a better skater
shocking right?
deepest apologies for not skating waterlogged hand-me-downs
shoulda asked you for permission to spend my money
wont happen again boss

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3009 on: May 20, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
Any illusion of coolness is long gone after 100 pages of this thread…..

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3010 on: May 20, 2022, 06:17:36 PM »

Aye…the only thread that matters

Just got some new 5.8s, cast. Purple bushings. They came fairly tightened down. I’m hyped to set them up.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3011 on: May 20, 2022, 06:48:30 PM »

I’m really enjoying my gilby 5.8s since I swapped out the cast for forged, so gilby v-lights on a Quasi 8.75.
I’m running bones hard, but I’m no lightweight, it still turns great and stability for pop.

I feel cool, even if I suck 8)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3012 on: May 20, 2022, 08:52:57 PM »
Just put the new "loose trucks kit"with the shorter top bushing in my 5.6 v-lights.
Damn, I have to screw down the nut till there are almost  2 threads showing to stop them from wiggling arround...
Gonna put an extra flat washer on top to protect my kingpin threads.
With other words, you get what you pay for.

That is the point where I skate them for a bit and make sure they are comfortable, then angle grind off the top of the kingpin to maximise kingpin clearance.

You can still get the nut on and off easily, but have almost zero issues with kingpins catching, while still having a normal truck (no inverted kingpin needed).

Granted this is not for everyone, but it definitely works for those who have kingpin issues, or grind the truck down to the point of the kingpin catching, while still having a normal truck turn and stability on the same as stock bushings.

There are a couple of others I know who have used the same thing as the "Loose bushing kit" with the lower top bushing with kingpin nut flush and they are way too loose for me, but those guys like that sort of thing, so to me it is the best of both worlds right there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3013 on: May 20, 2022, 09:35:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

shocking right?
wont happen again boss

Hold on so I'm an idiot with no reading comprehension, but let's go through your meandering argument of middle school level insults:

1. First and foremost you do not use proper capitalization or punctuation and don't understand line breaks to separate your subjects.
2. You have chased wobbly Ventures switching out a half dozen sets of bushings in this thread making multiple claims of how it helps this or that type of skating.
3. I remember that post being pretty amusing then and then just clicked a random thread in your post history page and it came up. I clicked a few others but didn't copy the links in which you talked about how first long wheelbases, then short wheelbases, then this and that all were totally going to unlock everything from transition skating to your pop master ledges.
4. Co authored a few books, finished current book today, ohhhh wait you're literally using an second grader's insult.
5. I've got positive rep and 3 gnars from just calling out your kook-don in this thread. That's better than the majority of Slap.
6. My entire argument is actually that you've made the "this is it" argument a bunch, but it's probably moot since the things your asking about learning shouldn't depend on convoluted trucks. If you can't get remotely close with a stock truck then it's not the one.
7. No one is saying you should ride a bogus rain board board, see point 6.
8. Closing with an attempt at sarcasm.

Alright, back to Ventures- a truck that isn't for me right now but I have liked and appreciated in the past.

IpathCats

« Reply #3014 on: May 20, 2022, 09:58:42 PM »
Y'all boys tripping, take a joke, laugh at yourself, it's ok. We're all pretty silly, we are on a skateboard forum in 2022 after all.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3015 on: May 20, 2022, 10:05:05 PM »
On a Friday night no less..

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #3016 on: May 20, 2022, 10:14:52 PM »
Y'all boys tripping, take a joke, laugh at yourself, it's ok. We're all pretty silly, we are on a skateboard forum in 2022 after all.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3017 on: May 21, 2022, 12:40:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

shocking right?
wont happen again boss
[close]

Hold on so I'm an idiot with no reading comprehension, but let's go through your meandering argument of middle school level insults:

1. First and foremost you do not use proper capitalization or punctuation and don't understand line breaks to separate your subjects.
2. You have chased wobbly Ventures switching out a half dozen sets of bushings in this thread making multiple claims of how it helps this or that type of skating.
3. I remember that post being pretty amusing then and then just clicked a random thread in your post history page and it came up. I clicked a few others but didn't copy the links in which you talked about how first long wheelbases, then short wheelbases, then this and that all were totally going to unlock everything from transition skating to your pop master ledges.
4. Co authored a few books, finished current book today, ohhhh wait you're literally using an second grader's insult.
5. I've got positive rep and 3 gnars from just calling out your kook-don in this thread. That's better than the majority of Slap.
6. My entire argument is actually that you've made the "this is it" argument a bunch, but it's probably moot since the things your asking about learning shouldn't depend on convoluted trucks. If you can't get remotely close with a stock truck then it's not the one.
7. No one is saying you should ride a bogus rain board board, see point 6.
8. Closing with an attempt at sarcasm.

Alright, back to Ventures- a truck that isn't for me right now but I have liked and appreciated in the past.
im sorry but 8 points about this? cmon bro touch grass
i write incomplete sentences because its slap, not a book
improper grammar because its slap, not an essay
really dont care, nothing is being published in this thread

maybe i should have just aired the grievance
not trying to insult you
but you are a terrible poster in this thread
actually youre a dork, just write a book already
annoyingly bad, stop doing it daily, we get it
have a good day, take care of your family
not worth living in a truck thread that you hate
you can put it in times new roman 12pt font if you want

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3018 on: May 21, 2022, 07:27:47 AM »
So I get accused of being unable to read because I don't specifically call out every detail, yet when I do it's a bad thing? And you get a pass for not making a post response and essay but I don't?

Dude you're getting way too wound up about things. Honestly speaking I'm not that great of a skater myself, but there's a line where it's the gear for the basics. Like, I still can't switch flip and my tailslides aren't as good on a longer setup but not letting the nuances of madness take over is a better thing for skill development in the long run and isn't the culprit.

And like I said I don't hate Ventures. Almost bought some the other day in a moment of weakness. But wobbly loose Ventures are a farce.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #3019 on: May 21, 2022, 08:19:12 AM »
You guys know there's a PM option on slap? I get the pissing contest is pretty heated right now, but can we maybe get it over with?

Thanks

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #3020 on: May 21, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
After several sessions with the new green bushings, I have come to the conclusion that they make me feel very I don't know how to put it.
When I buy and set up Ventures, it's because I am AWAKE but also it is specifically because I don't want them to shake. Sometimes I do get the loose trucks itch, but not with Ventures. I have some Indies waiting and ready to go with their white super soft bushings after these hit the axle.

I want the Venture stability and the beautiful snap that comes with it. When they are loose like this I feel like they have lost their innate characteristics. I'm going back to stock purples with the flat top washer.
As far the actual loose, it's at a reasonable healthy level. They really do free up nicely. It's not the crazy shakes you get once you start chopping the bushings. Also the green looks cool...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #3021 on: May 21, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »
Arguably wobbly loose anything is a farce but it’s a comfort thing that some people like. 

Those barrier kult guys were running wobbly gullwings….same deal….they don’t turn….

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #3022 on: May 22, 2022, 10:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Just put the new "loose trucks kit"with the shorter top bushing in my 5.6 v-lights.
Damn, I have to screw down the nut till there are almost  2 threads showing to stop them from wiggling arround...
[close]

That is the point where I skate them for a bit and make sure they are comfortable, then angle grind off the top of the kingpin to maximise kingpin clearance.

You can still get the nut on and off easily, but have almost zero issues with kingpins catching, while still having a normal truck (no inverted kingpin needed).

Granted this is not for everyone, but it definitely works for those who have kingpin issues, or grind the truck down to the point of the kingpin catching, while still having a normal truck turn and stability on the same as stock bushings.

There are a couple of others I know who have used the same thing as the "Loose bushing kit" with the lower top bushing with kingpin nut flush and they are way too loose for me, but those guys like that sort of thing, so to me it is the best of both worlds right there.
Personally I think the clearance on ventures is already great. And for my type of skating its more then I would ever need.
The main reason I use the new kit is an issue i have with one of my trucks. It's way to tight compared to the other one. So tight that it gets unusable as soon as I try to engage the nylon to a point where I feel safe to not loose the nut. It's strange. Maybe the kingpins is to short.
With the new kit it works how it should be. I skated them yesterday for a few hours and I was able to loosen them a little bit, maybe one and a half threads showing. So for now they feel kinda normal .
Like you get them new with flush nuts.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3023 on: May 22, 2022, 09:47:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Personally I think the clearance on ventures is already great. And for my type of skating its more then I would ever need.
The main reason I use the new kit is an issue i have with one of my trucks. It's way to tight compared to the other one. So tight that it gets unusable as soon as I try to engage the nylon to a point where I feel safe to not loose the nut. It's strange. Maybe the kingpins is to short.
With the new kit it works how it should be. I skated them yesterday for a few hours and I was able to loosen them a little bit, maybe one and a half threads showing. So for now they feel kinda normal .
Like you get them new with flush nuts.

It has been a bit funny with supply issues including different kingpins and even seems like some are in a little more than others, which means slightly different kingpin heights, then bushing madness, etc.

I guess with the clearance thing, it is more a factor when the truck is down to axle or significantly grinding on the kingpin, but for most trucks, it is never really an issue when new.  Being more in the second hand market and making things work a lot longer than they might otherwise, I am used to altering parts where the previous user had deemed them finished and done, then passing them on to others who can keep skating them, so this is more where the bushing sets with low heads really come into their own.

Good that with the low heads, you can get them to where you want them, which is the main thing, because ending up with a kingpin nut that is barely on and truck still not loose enough is not a good thing for anyone.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #3024 on: June 11, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »
Posting over here from the truck set up thread

Low bushings working pretty damn well on inverted kingpins .

Psyched on this set up at the moment

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

Crazy turn radius for low trucks . This is the loosest I’ve ever ridden my trucks and it’s been really fun. Fucking with my flat ground tricks a little but getting used to it this past week.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3025 on: June 11, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »

Expand Quote

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

Crazy turn radius for low trucks . This is the loosest I’ve ever ridden my trucks and it’s been really fun. Fucking with my flat ground tricks a little but getting used to it this past week.
[close]

Sick

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3026 on: June 11, 2022, 10:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

[close]
[close]

Sick
I agree with this opinion
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #3027 on: June 11, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

[close]
[close]

Sick
[close]
it's like looking into the future

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #3028 on: June 11, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

[close]
[close]

Sick
[close]
[close]
it's like looking into the future

I believe this is the smallest inverted kingpin out there also. So the clearance for smith grinds and feebles is just crazy . I have them pretty tight and it’s still the loosest my trucks have ever been .

Also used an easy method for getting the kingpin nut lodged in there. Put it in, set the kingpin, drill part of a small nail into the space to lodge the nut in there good , break off the end of nail so nothing is sticking out, this ensures you will not get a loose kingpin by any means and sand down on a stone or cement outside the truck if any part of the kingpin nut or screw is sticking out

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #3029 on: June 11, 2022, 10:22:19 PM »

Expand Quote

Cast baseplate 5.2 low
Venture Hollow 5.2 axel
Inverted kingpin
Venture low bushings

[close]

them green bushings brings back memories of venture featherlights..