Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 355593 times)

slutonparade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 26
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #3240 on: August 30, 2022, 11:54:52 AM »
I just got my first pair of ventures ever. 5.8 v-hollow. I’m going to put them on a 8.5” AH blue eagle

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #3241 on: August 30, 2022, 12:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know a lot of people love ventures on the primitive/April 8.25 shape and I was wondering if anyone knew of an 8.5 equivalent or even an 8.38. I want the short wb and long kicks of the 8.25, but I need a little more space for my size 12 feet.
[close]

anti hero "mis-registered eagle" short 8.5 - it has a 14 inch wheelbase and is 31.75 in length so the kicks are rather long.
[close]

If you can find them in stock, looks like there were one-and-done last season, wish they made it a staple of their catalog like the Real Floral, shit graphics but short WB (8.25 x 14 x 31.9)

[close]

I really wanted to try this but never found one in stock anywhere.
[close]

There are newer versions of those same shapes, with this graphic:

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-2022/

Can't wait to not find these all of '22/23!
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3242 on: August 30, 2022, 12:50:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I know a lot of people love ventures on the primitive/April 8.25 shape and I was wondering if anyone knew of an 8.5 equivalent or even an 8.38. I want the short wb and long kicks of the 8.25, but I need a little more space for my size 12 feet.
[close]

anti hero "mis-registered eagle" short 8.5 - it has a 14 inch wheelbase and is 31.75 in length so the kicks are rather long.
[close]

If you can find them in stock, looks like there were one-and-done last season, wish they made it a staple of their catalog like the Real Floral, shit graphics but short WB (8.25 x 14 x 31.9)

[close]

[close]

[close]

I need to try one of those 8.5s. Seems like exactly what I’m looking for

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3243 on: August 30, 2022, 02:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Skate warehouse has/had them

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #3244 on: August 30, 2022, 03:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You're right, they have them in all sizes. I assume Skate Warehouse has a 20% sale coming up this weekend, as they usually do.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products#search=products&searchtext=real%20scanners&opt_page=1&opt_sort=priceAcc&opt_perpage=20

https://shop.ccs.com/products/real-scanners-team-skateboard-deck-8-50
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 03:36:38 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #3245 on: August 30, 2022, 03:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

You're right, they have them in all sizes. I assume Skate Warehouse has a 20% sale coming up this weekend, as they usually do.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products#search=products&searchtext=real%20scanners&opt_page=1&opt_sort=priceAcc&opt_perpage=20

lord this is tempting, and after i just felt extremely satisfied with my current deck backlog

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3246 on: August 30, 2022, 07:06:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

lord this is tempting, and after i just felt extremely satisfied with my current deck backlog

i feel like hunger next month is worth a 5 pack of these. 5 of these 8.5s would last me a year maybe more if i give up Imposibles. id have to give up weed to unless i cop some hours somewhere.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3247 on: September 04, 2022, 10:25:35 PM »
Sorry for asking an old question - I know the 6.1 has a shorter wheelbase than the other sizes… (+3” as seen on the truck wb thread) does this apply for for the v-lights too? Or are those also pushed out a bit?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3248 on: September 05, 2022, 01:49:16 AM »
Sorry for asking an old question - I know the 6.1 has a shorter wheelbase than the other sizes… (+3” as seen on the truck wb thread) does this apply for for the v-lights too? Or are those also pushed out a bit?

I have the normal polished 6.1 on a board and they feel like they are exactly the same as the 5.8 or 5.6 (and other sizes that I have set up) so I am wondering if someone measured incorrectly or if I am mistaken for thinking they were like the rest and all the same wheelbase measurement.

Might have to go get the board out and compare again, but Venture in general definitely have the most pushed out wheelbase of all the trucks in all sizes, or so I thought.

The forged baseplate does push them out a bit more, whatever they are on, which can be the light, hollow or Ti axle versions.  My boards pretty much all have the standard baseplates on them and looking at the hangers, they are all the same, just wider.

I think that thread needed updating too.

WB on your trucks

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 02:04:21 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3249 on: September 07, 2022, 08:33:29 PM »

Anyone in Australia that was after the Venture green bushings (low tops) they are in stock on OCD, so most likely other places soon enough too.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/venture-bushing-conversion-90a-green

I know there were a few people who were keen on getting some.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #3250 on: September 08, 2022, 03:09:33 PM »
considering getting some V-lights to switch my usual set up a bit and i’ve always wanted to try some ventures! Gonna get the loose bushing kit too. What’s the height on 5.8 V-lights? 53mm? I think Ace Af1s are so the height transition won’t be a lot i hope! Just kinda miss the grind of a hard truck.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • ow
« Reply #3251 on: September 08, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »
considering getting some V-lights to switch my usual set up a bit and i’ve always wanted to try some ventures! Gonna get the loose bushing kit too. What’s the height on 5.8 V-lights? 53mm? I think Ace Af1s are so the height transition won’t be a lot i hope! Just kinda miss the grind of a hard truck.
5.8 V-Lights are 52mm

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3252 on: September 08, 2022, 11:15:58 PM »
Give or take they are exactly the opposite truck…..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3253 on: September 08, 2022, 11:20:24 PM »

Oh man, get ready for a rude awake...ning.

Slugboi22

« Reply #3254 on: September 08, 2022, 11:56:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

yeah i realize both trucks are incredibly different. i’ve just got this itch to try a different truck out to see how i’d feel/ skate on em. i figure because i’m relatively tall i might want to try gear that extends the wheelbase to see if it could help my skating at all but i could just  have a screw loose at the moment.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3255 on: September 09, 2022, 02:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah i realize both trucks are incredibly different. i’ve just got this itch to try a different truck out to see how i’d feel/ skate on em. i figure because i’m relatively tall i might want to try gear that extends the wheelbase to see if it could help my skating at all but i could just  have a screw loose at the moment.

Is there any relation to body height and truck-wheelbase on the same deck? I don't think that would help at all if your problem is feeling to cramped due to a short wb. Maybe try a longer wb deck with your aces.

But if you do, please report

IpathCats

« Reply #3256 on: September 09, 2022, 05:55:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Is there any relation to body height and truck-wheelbase on the same deck? I don't think that would help at all if your problem is feeling to cramped due to a short wb. Maybe try a longer wb deck with your aces.

Probably dependent on your level of madness. But I would say so. I had tried ventures a while back and they worked fine on 14.25 wb for me. I wasnt crazy about the turn/grind though and when i put my indy's back on they felt WAY too cramped. I'm 6' 4"

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #3257 on: September 09, 2022, 06:00:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Paul Schmitt told me WB is more related to shoe size than anything. Take that for what you will. He is a professor after all.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #3258 on: September 09, 2022, 08:01:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Probably dependent on your level of madness. But I would say so. I had tried ventures a while back and they worked fine on 14.25 wb for me. I wasnt crazy about the turn/grind though and when i put my indy's back on they felt WAY too cramped. I'm 6' 4"

Can you explain this to me? Like imagine being on that board, not seeing the axles, you hypothetically have no idea which trucks are on it. How would it make you feel cramped/what did you feel?

It's so weird to me because I skated thunders on 14.4wb and now ace on a 14" wb.
Because the thunders are the titaniums, so the pop on the long wb board+thunder feels about as light as ace on a 14" wb.
Because of the big weight and wb difference, the setups actually feel similar.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 09:11:13 AM by goodatmeth »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3259 on: September 09, 2022, 08:12:36 AM »
Honestly, I skated Ace lo’s and ventures at the same time, I adjusted pretty quick, all the major trucks do something well…..

I just like how ventures pop, how you can lock into manuals and they are lighter….

Aces grind better, turn way better and push in the wheelbase which works well with a lot of boards IMO…but I think the wheelbase matters but a fair share of it is…..koo…koo….

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #3260 on: September 09, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Honestly, I skated Ace lo’s and ventures at the same time, I adjusted pretty quick, all the major trucks do something well…..

I just like how ventures pop, how you can lock into manuals and they are lighter….

Aces grind better, turn way better and push in the wheelbase which works well with a lot of boards IMO…but I think the wheelbase matters but a fair share of it is…..koo…koo….
I also skate both Ace and Ventures at the same time lol the adjustment period is like 20 minutes tops. granted I mostly skate my ventures and only ride the aces at the curb spot.

i definitely agree that aces work well with a lot of boards. for me to enjoy ventures, the board has to be really mellow if it has a 14.25" wb or just straight 14" wb. I prefer the latter option tho

Slugboi22

« Reply #3261 on: September 09, 2022, 09:14:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I also skate both Ace and Ventures at the same time lol the adjustment period is like 20 minutes tops. granted I mostly skate my ventures and only ride the aces at the curb spot.

i definitely agree that aces work well with a lot of boards. for me to enjoy ventures, the board has to be really mellow if it has a 14.25" wb or just straight 14" wb. I prefer the latter option tho
Yeah i figured it would just be a quick adjustment for me but honestly after sleeping on it i’ll probably just go buy ace hollows in their standard height at this point. after taking everything into consideration it’s probably more about my boards wheelbase than the truck itself. thanks all for the insight and such, i appreciate it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3262 on: September 09, 2022, 01:35:33 PM »
Short of recommending an Indy…your assessment seems like solid middle ground….Aces do slappy really well but the pinch on a venture is pretty nice too…..

plasticsurgerydisasters

• Rep: -2
« Reply #3263 on: September 09, 2022, 10:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just switched to some Ace AF1s from some peer pressure from my friends who all swear by aces. Definitely missing my ventures though. I feel like I can’t lock in on rails as well with the aces but time will tell. The baseplate slides really nice on nose and tail slides though. But long story short adjustment wasn’t too long besides locking in on rails.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3264 on: September 11, 2022, 07:58:36 AM »
Skating a 8.25 alien board now and don’t know yet how I like it. High hollow ventures.

Kick are long on that deck. Had a hockey before and will skate GX 8.125 next. That one has short tail.

What do you prefer ? Long or short tail?

I skated 8“ decks , 8.125 , 818 and 8.25 over the last year and still don’t know what I prefer.
Same for tail length.

I skated fuller shapes over the last two decks, now when I look at and 8“ anti hero or Powell for example it looks so weird to me. So pointy and flat.
I probably stick to fuller shapes and switch around with tail lengths and width’s.
I really think I can skate anything after little time of getting used to it.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3265 on: September 11, 2022, 08:22:13 AM »
Skating a 8.25 alien board now and don’t know yet how I like it. High hollow ventures.

Kick are long on that deck. Had a hockey before and will skate GX 8.125 next. That one has short tail.

What do you prefer ? Long or short tail?

I skated 8“ decks , 8.125 , 818 and 8.25 over the last year and still don’t know what I prefer.
Same for tail length.

I skated fuller shapes over the last two decks, now when I look at and 8“ anti hero or Powell for example it looks so weird to me. So pointy and flat.
I probably stick to fuller shapes and switch around with tail lengths and width’s.
I really think I can skate anything after little time of getting used to it.
I prefer a little bit of a longer tail with my ventures. It makes it to where I don't have to put my foot so far back on the tail when setting up for kf and ollie tricks. Also a longer tail also helps with tail slides.

IpathCats

« Reply #3266 on: September 12, 2022, 07:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can you explain this to me? Like imagine being on that board, not seeing the axles, you hypothetically have no idea which trucks are on it. How would it make you feel cramped/what did you feel?

It's so weird to me because I skated thunders on 14.4wb and now ace on a 14" wb.
Because the thunders are the titaniums, so the pop on the long wb board+thunder feels about as light as ace on a 14" wb.
Because of the big weight and wb difference, the setups actually feel similar.

When the difference that we're talking about is less than 1" i can see how you would assume it wouldnt really change much. But if you take it to the extremes ie trucks mounted in the center of your board or on the tips, those situations would very clearly change the feel of your skateboard. So while the difference between aces and ventures isnt as extreme as the difference between mounting your trucks in the center of your board vs on the tips, there is certainly a difference. the board turns differently, this is certain. Your weight distribution stance, balance, all play into this. Depending on your size/leg length, these differences might be more noticeable for some.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #3267 on: September 12, 2022, 11:46:09 AM »
8.25 Alien Board has such a nice Pop with high Venture hollows after getting used to it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3268 on: September 12, 2022, 02:39:06 PM »
I prefer ventures on medium/mellow set ups….

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3269 on: September 14, 2022, 12:09:57 AM »
For your viewing pleasure

Now I have to retire my venture 6.1's, that I set up this January.
I think the newly learned front slappies ate them mostly.
See me in the thunder thread next time